The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 25, 2024, 01:15:19 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Best VR product for Sim Racing?  (Read 722 times)
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2021, 07:39:35 PM +0000 »

As per the title

Oculus "something" what is known to work? what are possible issues
Other makes?

Please help. Am considering something to make me feel ill, or not  Huh

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 08:23:11 PM +0000 »

I think the HP Reverb G2 should be high on your list. Meant to be very good for sim experiences. My original Reverb is pretty good and the G2 is meant to be lots better.

Whatever route you go bear in mind that VR requires reasonably well spec'ed PC. If you do any flight sim'ing then you'll not be able to get a powerful enough one!

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 11:36:26 PM +0000 »

I don't do any flight sims. I might play some Overload, battlezone 2, then mostly GTL/R3E/AC
This machine is fairly high spec now - Ryzen 9 3900XT 12core/24threads. NVidia  RTX 3080
Should do VR well enough, I have no experience of what is best for the stuff we do here though

Oculus do 2 varieties, never heard of HP options, but I will check it out thanks

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 01:55:58 PM +0000 »

Yeah, the latest Oculus Quest 2 seems a good alternative with nearly as high a resolution as the Reverb and can be connected to a pc by a USB cable (and wireless if you have a proper video card and 5 Ghz wifi)
And it is a lot cheaper! But I reckon you should try them all if you can.

School is important, but race cars are importanter
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 08:34:40 AM +0000 »

I don't do any flight sims. I might play some Overload, battlezone 2, then mostly GTL/R3E/AC
You may not be able to play all those in VR. R3E and AC are fine as I use these week in week out on my Reverb. Games do need to have VR support, well there are ways to make non-VR games in to VR, worpx or something, but I think you're mileage will vary and you can lose a lot of time trying to get something to work. Ha Ha you can waste a lot of time getting a VR ready game to work to your satisfaction.

This machine is fairly high spec now - Ryzen 9 3900XT 12core/24threads. NVidia  RTX 3080
Should do VR well enough, I have no experience of what is best for the stuff we do here though
I have a 6 core Intel chip, that I can never remember the name of, running at 4.2 Ghz and a 1080Ti. You're spec mashes mine.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 08:54:20 AM +0000 »

Sure, I am not expecting to run everything with it. I am just considering it for racing really.
This is a new system to replace my 11 year old core2quad.

There is Oculus - 2 varieties, the rift looks most appropriate
there is the HP Reverb, which is a lot more expensive, very high res, but some poor reviews on faults
there is the HTC Vive

All say they are the best.....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:04:43 PM +0000 by phspok » Logged

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 09:40:16 AM +0000 »

I would say the HTC is the most expensive, the HP Reverb G2 the best and the Oculus Rift S the best bang for the buck. (looks like the Rift S will become dicontinued in time as the Quest 2 is its succesor)

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 12:08:03 PM +0000 »

Ah, yep, that looks to be the reality.
I was wondering about the two Oculus offerings, they have some differences, and they suggest the Rift
for gaming as it's headset is better for long periods.

Apart from some people complaining about getting broken ones, there seems to be some comments about "sweet spot"
for the HP, as in, it isn't good unless you have it positioned correctly. I expect that is true for any of them
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:11:26 PM +0000 by phspok » Logged

Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 01:05:45 PM +0000 »

Well, I know MJ is a Rift S user, so you could ask him about the Rift I quess.

Dimitar Dulichki

Turbo Racing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 01:27:08 PM +0000 »

I don't know which VR product is the best but i watch Jimmy Broadbent with one of those, using Automobilista 2 - looks amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRa4yPInsow

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter Thompson

My YouTube Sim Racing Channel

My Twitch Sim Racing Channel
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 03:49:42 PM +0000 »

I have VorpX and have to say that's it's VERY hit and miss.
It used to run the original Skyrim better then the official VR version of the Game - then some drivers changed and it broke. I tried GTA V with it and never got it to look right (It also edits enough files that if you ever used it while connected to the internet or in online play you'd be banned - this likely applies to other litigative games companies too so be aware before trying to run stuff).

I haven't touched it in over a year as a result.

My own headset is an original Rift - very immersive but such low res Vs the new stuff. That said I haven't used a newer headset so can't personally comment on how much difference it makes, especially for simracing.

The 'Sweet spot' applies to all VR headsets due to how the lenses have to focus in order to work Smiley
With that in mind - if you have very wide or narrow spaced eyes you need to be aware that some (Oculus Rift S and I think also the Quest) don't have physical IPD adjustment and do it in software instead. This means you simply won't be able to use them as will never see clearly - I know practical tests aren't possible at the moment but you need to read the FAQ's and see how you compare.
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 04:34:53 PM +0000 »

Thanks for the info  thumbup1

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 05:02:20 PM +0000 »

Rift S is probably best bang for buck of all available right now. Its a huge improvement over the CV1 Rift and is pretty great in sim-racing, reasonably comfortable and light and the better resolution means less eye strain.
Reverb G2 is the daddy at the moment for best resolution but as it supports 4k res in each lens i think it needs a fairly beefy gpu/cpu to get the best out of it. Can imagine a choppy image without them to back it up but you would need to see what specs they recommend.

Have heard the Hive is good but its about a grand ! and un-surprisingly dont hear of many sim racers using it. maybe it excels in fancy RPGs etc  Undecided

Rift S is circa £400 i think, G2 is £600 and hard to find. Have also heard the G2 suffers 'tracking issues' from a few users, probably doesnt matter if sat still.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 05:20:52 PM +0000 »

Thanks Mark

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 05:31:46 PM +0000 »

Tracking issues could be light also - I still remember Marks rants about his Rift loosing tracking in long races. They turned out to be from it getting dark outside, and him having the lights off Grin
I have the opposite problem myself as the older Rifts are optically tracked as they move around by a pair of cameras - at this end of the year I can get dodgy tracking if the sun shines in strongly onto me through the window. As a result I now live like a suspicious neighbour with curtains almost permanently drawn  laugh
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com