Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 07:12:55 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: universal modern FOV Calculator  (Read 983 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2021, 07:12:44 PM +0000 »

I just found this easy to use online FieldOfView calculator at SRMZ, :

We need the hFOV

https://dinex86.github.io/FOV-Calculator/

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Leo Menegucci

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 08:36:02 PM +0000 »

Great tool Cookie. Thanks!

I found out I was almost there with my settings
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:52:16 PM +0000 »

This FOV subject has been discussed here before.  The only realistic viewing angle, is the one closely matching the optics of the human eye.

The formulae used by supposed experts, to dictate a perfect screen viewing distance for any FOV, ignore 3D optics.  Would you race while looking through a telephoto lens?  How about a fish-eye lens?  These do not create a realistic picture - distortion changes size and shape.  Some users suffer eye strain from having their noses up against the monitor screen!  It is madness. Undecided
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 12:42:58 AM +0000 »

VR would be the perfect FOV
- but as we look onto a flat 2d picture - al Sims use this kind of calculation from AC to I-Raciing...

Axel "Cookie"

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 12:59:51 PM +0000 »

The screen is flat, but the objects in it are not.  Not since the age of Pong, have games been only 2D.  When you turn the camera in GPL, the World does not have a screen edge - the scenery turns around and behind.  We have left, right, and up/down, which makes 3, and a lens makes the bends. Cheesy All calculations I've seen ignor this necessity.

I wonder if all these suggested FOV's came from the Sim maker's, or from aftermarket enthusiasts?  If tracks have been made to a realistic scale, the same FOV should be correct for all.

A narrow FOV makes the World larger.  If reason to use a strange FOV is for added realism, it will only be at screen centre, as the edges will differ from our lifelong eyes view.

If correct means near to screen viewing, we should all have life-sized photos of family and friends, to hang on the wall.  And give them one also, on their birthday! Grin

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 02:20:15 PM +0000 »

So why all the recent sims ask for the values of your screen?
If only you have the real knowledge?

Give us the recent sim that uses your theory and uses only the one correct FOV. Without the possibility to customize...

A imo good explanation:
https://driver61.com/sim-racing/iracing-fov/

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 02:58:26 PM +0000 by Cookie » Logged

Axel "Cookie"

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 05:49:00 PM +0000 »

Grand Prix Legends is a Sim made WITHOUT an adjustable FOV.  GEM+ is an addon.  Having an adjustment is not a problem,  but suggesting a strange FOV is an enhancement is, when it inhibits normal vision Online.

After some thought to these very different game FOV's suggested, I believe either their modeling is quite different, or perhaps the texture renderer takes a different slice out of the internal view?  It's also possible not all who suggest this stuff, understand the human eye.  They do not suffer if you crash more often, or hurt your eyes from viewing too close.

I've a 2D example which all will understand :

The artists who help make our racing machines, post images of their work on our private Forums.  A beautiful new wheel may have bright sunlight only at the top. Nice photo . . . many compliments . . . until you go race.  Then you find the Sun turns upside down at the first turn.  Not usually possible until many other car parts turn upside down. Cheesy This is 1D thinking, where 2D was needed.  Many guys use 2D thinking for this FOV subject, where 3D is needed.  

I thank Cookie for helping with this well mannered discussion.  A good discussion needs . . . different viewpoints.  There is more to learn when different ideas are put to the test, rather than finding a team of salesmen, all re-telling the same story.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:12:45 PM +0000 by maddog » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com