Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 07:26:21 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S3855GP Tripoli: March 14, 2021
March 14, 2021, 11:16:44 PM +0000 - Tripoli - UKGPL Season 38 (Spring 2021) 1955 Grand Prix
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Raoni Frizzo
 Team Coyote
Mercedes W196 SL (#1955) F1 1955 1 3:17.963
148.495mph
1 43:14.400
147.300mph
13 3:17.708
148.687mph
Continental  
Clive Loynes
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Mercedes W196 SL (#1955) F1 1955 3 +1.998
147.011mph
2 +30.019
145.615mph
13 3:19.221
147.557mph
Continental  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Mercedes W196 SL (#1955) F1 1955 6 +3.528
145.895mph
3 +30.025
145.615mph
13 3:19.285
147.510mph
Continental  
Doni Yourth
 Blue Moose Racing
Mercedes W196 SL (#1955) F1 1955 7 +5.964
144.152mph
4 +54.930
144.246mph
13 3:20.322
146.746mph
Continental  
Enrique Farina

Mercedes W196 SL (#1955) F1 1955 4 +2.025
146.992mph
5 +54.935
144.246mph
13 3:20.873
146.344mph
Continental  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Lancia D50 (#1955) F1 1955 8 +7.042
143.394mph
6 +57.332
144.115mph
13 3:19.839
147.101mph
Pirelli  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Mercedes W196 (#1955) F1 1955 9 +7.268
143.236mph
7 +1L
130.861mph
12 3:35.674
136.301mph
Continental  
JonnyO
 Team Coyote
Mercedes W196 SL (#1955) F1 1955 2 +0.212
148.336mph
8 +6L
144.057mph
7 3:20.864
146.351mph
Disco
Continental  
Dulima

Mercedes W196 SL (#1955) F1 1955 5 +3.219
146.119mph
9 +12L
134.803mph
1 3:36.010
136.089mph
Disco
Continental  
Cookie
 Antipasti Racing
Lancia D50 (#1955) F1 1955 10 +7.446
143.112mph
10 +13L
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Pirelli  
Alain Maurice
 Equipe BGB
Gordini T16 (#1955) F1 1955 13 11 +1.809
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Englebert  
bagrupp
 Team Groundhog
Mercedes W196 (#1955) F1 1955 11 +7.741
142.907mph
DNS ---
---
Continental  
60fps UKGPL05

Gordini T16 (#1955) F1 1955 12 ---
---
Englebert  

Moderator's Report

Summary
A totally dominant display by Raoni saw him take the win, pole position, fastest lap and to lead every lap. A superb drive. Despite the slipstream, Clive Loynes and Phil Thornton could not stay with Raoni so they settled into a race long duel which was finally settled in Clive’s favour by a mere 6 thousandths of a second at the flag. The battle for fourth and fifth was just as close with Doni eventually edging out Enrique by an even closer 5 thousandths of a second. The Mercedes W196 SL was the car to have on this circuit. There were no reported incidents in this race.

SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
Grand Prix Legends
F1 1955
3:17.963
148.459mph
Raoni Frizzo
Qualifying
Mercedes W196 SLMarch 14, 2021, 11:16:44 PM +0000
S3855GP
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 38 (Spring 2021) 1955 Grand Prix - Works - Tripoli - Mar 14  (Read 1045 times)
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 12:37:08 PM +0000 »

Hearty congratulations to Raoni. Amazing speed. I must look at the replay to see how it's done.

I spent the race in a battle for second place. The end result was probably down to slight differences in gear ratios. Phil didn't seem to be able to easily draft past me, whereas I could blast straight past him whenever he got his nose in front.

In the end it was decided in my favour by 0.006 sec. However, I was close to quitting a couple of times over the last two laps.  I've suffered with a water infection for just over a week and despite draining the sump just as the race started, the last two laps were agony.  As soon as we crossed the line I needed a tree to stop the car against and dash for the loo.

I thought the thoughtful MB team had a hole in the floor on the drivers side for such emergencies  Roll Eyes
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 12:42:08 PM +0000 »

If things don't improve I may need a length of rubber tube and a milk bottle!

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 03:13:20 PM +0000 »

................or a stout rubber band and some paracetemol for the resultant backpressure and headache?  Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 03:27:18 PM +0000 »

................or a stout rubber band and some paracetemol for the resultant backpressure and headache?  Roll Eyes

Just the thought is making my eyes water!

Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 03:36:55 PM +0000 »

A ripper of a round at Tripoli!  Never a dull moment.

Congratulations to Ray on a walkaway win.  How ever does he manage it?  Clive scoring P2 a scant 6/1000s ahead of Phil.  WOWZER!  And if that wasn't close enough, I thiefed P4 off Ricky by 5/1000s at the flag.  Heart in my throat as we dashed to the line I can tell you as I misjudged my line and was well and truly off in the dirt.

Evil Clive had the great misfortune to clip a barrier on the last lap and cost him speed otherwise he would most definitely been right there in the mix as Ricky and I headed for the line.  He drove superbly in the Lancia keeping pace with me for the entire race.  Indeed, following a gaffe on my part by getting enormously sideways in one bend, he was nicely ahead.  Only the top end advantage of the Slipstreamer Merc saved the day for me.

Sorry to see that we had some fallers...Alain & Axel...and some discos/freezes...Eddie & Jonny...and poor Bas never even had a chance to get back to the grid after a CTD late in qualifying.  Bad luck for all there.

Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 03:42:52 PM +0000 »

Yep I had my first disco for a long time, I suspect my provider to have reset my IP mid first lap...

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Raoni Frizzo

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 05:12:22 PM +0000 »

It seems that this is one of those races when you everything goes right at the same time. Luck, car, speed and track. After two disappointing races, it was great to finish one and win it.

I had no idea how driving the SL would be. It was myfirst realcontact with this car, since I've driven mostly the Maserati, Ferrari and Connaught in this mod.
Qualy was very exciting. Jonny set a very fast time and I could beat him only in the final minutes, with a high 3:17.

At the start I lost a place to Clive, as I expected, but then rejoined 1st place at the slow right corner. To be honest, overtaking there wasn't even much my intention. I put my car in the inside line because was afraid of following his slipstream and rear ending him trying to brake. I'm still not so confident with those cars under these circumnstances.

I thought we would have a long battle until the end of the race swapping the lead, maybe with 3 or 4 cars involved. But after I opened a 200m gap, I realised that I had enough speed to escape and try to have a more "comfortable" race. Without making any mistakes and finding a good pace, I was just worried about making the engine survive until the end. Luckily, everything went well!

Congrats to all finishers! I must have a look at the replay to watch the exciting battles for P2 and P4. Amazing job, guys!
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 10:19:11 PM +0000 »

I spent the race in a battle for second place. The end result was probably down to slight differences in gear ratios. Phil didn't seem to be able to easily draft past me, whereas I could blast straight past him whenever he got his nose in front.
I think you might be right there Clive. I hadn't practiced with a tow until the server test just before the race with Ricardo and your good self. I thought the gears were OK because I could draft past Ricardo. But in the race your pace was just that bit hotter and so my Merc was gasping for breath at top speed. I could have done with another notch on the final drive.

I thought the track was perfect for the SL. The straights were long enough so that the brake fade was not an issue for the whole race. I was careful under braking so as to avoid repeat of the Nassau fiasco but I wasn't confident enough to give you a really big safe gap in case I lost the tow. I think I was probably a bit too cautious, the draft was pretty strong and I could afford to give you a 60 yard gap and still make up the ground on the long straights.

In the early laps I was content to stay behind you so that we could try to stay with Raoni but when he broke away there was no point in trying to work together to bridge the gap, he was just too quick. We had a decent gap back to P4 so it was an opportunity to fight for P2 without risking too much. It was fun Smiley. Great racing  thumbup1

As soon as we crossed the line I needed a tree to stop the car against and dash for the loo.
I've not got the acute problem you had Clive but I definitely need to be careful how much caffeine loaded drinks I have in the hours before a race. It is the main reason I haven't tried the Grand Prix length races. I'd have to be practically dehydrated to last 90mins without a "pit stop"  Grin
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 11:18:14 AM +0000 »

In the early laps I was content to stay behind you so that we could try to stay with Raoni but when he broke away there was no point in trying to work together to bridge the gap, he was just too quick. We had a decent gap back to P4 so it was an opportunity to fight for P2 without risking too much. It was fun Smiley. Great racing  thumbup1

It was great racing Phil.

I have looked at Raoni's fast laps and can see how it's done.  I have altered my gearbox accordingly.  But I just can't do it!   Angry

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 02:20:58 PM +0000 »

Maybe I should have opted for the Merc SL too, but thus far I have never driven the SL in serious competition and have no baseline setup to work from. On the handful of occasions that I have driven the Mercedes aircraft carrier offline, it has felt heavy and ungainly, but if anywhere was going to be the right place, this circuit was it.

So, when I joined the server, I opted for the Lancia, and was sorely disappointed at the difference in non-slipstream lap times which was around 6 secs!!
Qualifying was spent trying to find a suitable tow truck and adjusting gear ratios, but I think I only had one lap behind a Merc and that was Clive's, which netted a reasonable lap, but still nowhere near Raoni and Co on the front of the grid.

My race plan was therefore quite simple. Mabel said, " get off the grid quickly and attach this length of industrial strength knicker elastic to the back of an SL on lap 1 and just sit there and wait for developments".
Hmmm, easier said than done with the road ahead fully occupied by big flat silver things!! Apologies for the rather erratic turn 1 moves, but I had taken the outside line to be in clear air, only to find my forward vision partially obscured by yet another SL  Undecided. As a result I allowed my Lancia to run a few centimetres too wide and got a fractional clip on the end of the wall.
If folks behind were momentarily scared by the red thing weaving around for the next 200mtrs as I did my utmost to avoid a spin and the guaranteed crashfest that would follow, I would refer you to Arnold who said after the race " ...we might get the stain out of the seat with the pressure washer, but your racing overalls will either need to be replaced, or we dye them brown and claim that as your new team colours"
At the slow T4 I was able to outbrake one or two SL's and I think I was up to 4th/5th and close behind the group of fast boys. If I could just attach that elastic tow rope I should be able to stay with them. I discovered that good as any plan might be, there is always a flaw! Sure, my Lancia was better on the brakes and this track required zero "brake management", plus I could carry more speed through a few corners but, as I found out on lap 1  that did not prevent large silver things blowing past me on the straights and then baulking my progress at the next corner  Sad.
By the end of Lap 1 I was down to my starting position  of 7th. Doni had started cautiously but was easily able to ease past on the long fast sections and gain just enough ground so that I could not exploit my superior braking/cornering speed, because the road was fully occupied by silver.
My team mate Doni provided an excellent tow truck and I soon discovered that I had only just got the ratio of 5th gear high enough. The red line comes in a 8k for the Lancia and there were times when I was glancing nervously at readings of 8.2-8.4K in the draft  scared
I did manage a pass on Doni to relieve the boredom when he ran wide, but his re-take was inevitable and I just picked up the tow again. On the one occasion when I made a big mistake and allowed a 100mtr gap to develop was when Doni decided to pick up the draft from Enrique's Merc, which I thought was ill timed to say the least!
For two laps  was wringing every kph out of that Lancia engine and leaving more rubber in Tripoli than an abandoned condom factory. But, I just held on to the outermost limits of the slipstream effect and posted a 3:19 lap as I closed up, whereas laps behind Doni were in the 3:21/3.22 region. The time was gained in the braking zones and the speed through the slower corners, but I doubt if I could have held onto Clive and Phil if I had been behind them as their straight line speed was just too great.
And yes, I tried too hard on the last lap to get myself in the optimum place for a draft past on the finishing line and huge adulation by running wide and scraping my wheels along a wall, just when I needed a clean run through the corner.
Still impressed by Raoni's pace and the fact that he was able to break away and get beyond slipstream range so early, when the likes of Clive Loynes and Co were in similar machinery. Some great close finishes too.

Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 02:53:39 PM +0000 »

You needed to be in 67mode for this one, something that I should have realised when Axel appeared in our midst.

Having lost out on my usual amount of practice, due to health reasons, I did not make the leap of faith to abandon 55mode in time for the race.

In fresh air I was seeing 281kph and early on, when following Raoni, I saw 286kph.

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 05:47:10 PM +0000 »

Maybe I should have opted for the Merc SL too, but thus far I have never driven the SL in serious competition and have no baseline setup to work from. On the handful of occasions that I have driven the Mercedes aircraft carrier offline, it has felt heavy and ungainly, but if anywhere was going to be the right place, this circuit was it.

So, when I joined the server, I opted for the Lancia, and was sorely disappointed at the difference in non-slipstream lap times which was around 6 secs!!
Qualifying was spent trying to find a suitable tow truck and adjusting gear ratios, but I think I only had one lap behind a Merc and that was Clive's, which netted a reasonable lap, but still nowhere near Raoni and Co on the front of the grid.

My race plan was therefore quite simple. Mabel said, " get off the grid quickly and attach this length of industrial strength knicker elastic to the back of an SL on lap 1 and just sit there and wait for developments".
Hmmm, easier said than done with the road ahead fully occupied by big flat silver things!! Apologies for the rather erratic turn 1 moves, but I had taken the outside line to be in clear air, only to find my forward vision partially obscured by yet another SL  Undecided. As a result I allowed my Lancia to run a few centimetres too wide and got a fractional clip on the end of the wall.
If folks behind were momentarily scared by the red thing weaving around for the next 200mtrs as I did my utmost to avoid a spin and the guaranteed crashfest that would follow, I would refer you to Arnold who said after the race " ...we might get the stain out of the seat with the pressure washer, but your racing overalls will either need to be replaced, or we dye them brown and claim that as your new team colours"
At the slow T4 I was able to outbrake one or two SL's and I think I was up to 4th/5th and close behind the group of fast boys. If I could just attach that elastic tow rope I should be able to stay with them. I discovered that good as any plan might be, there is always a flaw! Sure, my Lancia was better on the brakes and this track required zero "brake management", plus I could carry more speed through a few corners but, as I found out on lap 1  that did not prevent large silver things blowing past me on the straights and then baulking my progress at the next corner  Sad.
By the end of Lap 1 I was down to my starting position  of 7th. Doni had started cautiously but was easily able to ease past on the long fast sections and gain just enough ground so that I could not exploit my superior braking/cornering speed, because the road was fully occupied by silver.
My team mate Doni provided an excellent tow truck and I soon discovered that I had only just got the ratio of 5th gear high enough. The red line comes in a 8k for the Lancia and there were times when I was glancing nervously at readings of 8.2-8.4K in the draft  scared
I did manage a pass on Doni to relieve the boredom when he ran wide, but his re-take was inevitable and I just picked up the tow again. On the one occasion when I made a big mistake and allowed a 100mtr gap to develop was when Doni decided to pick up the draft from Enrique's Merc, which I thought was ill timed to say the least!
For two laps  was wringing every kph out of that Lancia engine and leaving more rubber in Tripoli than an abandoned condom factory. But, I just held on to the outermost limits of the slipstream effect and posted a 3:19 lap as I closed up, whereas laps behind Doni were in the 3:21/3.22 region. The time was gained in the braking zones and the speed through the slower corners, but I doubt if I could have held onto Clive and Phil if I had been behind them as their straight line speed was just too great.
And yes, I tried too hard on the last lap to get myself in the optimum place for a draft past on the finishing line and huge adulation by running wide and scraping my wheels along a wall, just when I needed a clean run through the corner.
Still impressed by Raoni's pace and the fact that he was able to break away and get beyond slipstream range so early, when the likes of Clive Loynes and Co were in similar machinery. Some great close finishes too.

Hard luck Evil but it serves you right , only an idiot would take the Lancia  beta1

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2021, 08:30:23 PM +0000 »

...............................a role for which I feel over qualified  Undecided

Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 11:40:06 AM +0000 »

I'm already fed up with crashing at Bremgarten and have been for about a week!

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 12:33:39 PM +0100 »

Moderation published.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com