The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 29, 2024, 10:15:23 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • E8DTM92 Suzuka: May 06, 2021
May 06, 2021, 07:54:42 PM +0100 - Suzuka (GP) - RRE Season 8 (2021) DTM '92
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Bonni Massimo
 Virtual Drivers Alliance
Audi V8 DTM DTM92 1 +2:11.763
---
1 31:10.092
---
14 0 2:12.227
---
Dunlop  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Audi V8 DTM DTM92 3 +2:13.251
---
2 +4.092
---
14 0 2:12.306
---
Dunlop  
Leonardo Chiappuella

Audi V8 DTM DTM92 2 +2:12.065
---
3 +13.107
---
14 0 2:12.606
---
Dunlop  
Chunky

BMW M3 Sport Evolution DTM92 4 +2:14.972
---
4 +54.645
---
14 0 2:14.237
---
Yokohama  
BiriBiri

Ford Mustang DTM DTM92 11 +2:17.876
---
5 +58.610
---
14 0 2:16.034
---
Goodyear  
Riccardo Gengotti
 Virtual Drivers Alliance
BMW M3 Sport Evolution DTM92 5 +2:15.160
---
6 +59.353
---
14 0 2:15.643
---
Yokohama  
frex
 Kerb Crawlers
BMW M3 Sport Evolution DTM92
---
7 +1:04.378
---
14 0 2:15.353
---
Yokohama  
Baldoni

BMW M3 Sport Evolution DTM92 6 +2:15.499
---
8 +1:13.503
---
14 0 2:15.502
---
Yokohama  
Glenn Richardson

Opel Omega 3000 Evo500 DTM92
---
9 +1:18.123
---
14 0 2:16.366
---
Pirelli  
azaris

BMW M3 Sport Evolution DTM92 7 +2:15.879
---
10 +4L 10 0 2:16.032
---
unknown
Yokohama  
picnic
 Team Shark
Audi V8 DTM DTM92 10 +2:17.514
---
11 +9L 5 0 2:14.849
---
unknown
Dunlop  
spanner
 Prodigy Racing
Mercedes 190 Evo2 DTM92 8 +2:16.005
---
12 +10L 4 0 2:15.539
---
unknown
Bridgestone  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
BMW M3 Sport Evolution DTM92
---
13 +12L 2 0 2:17.407
---
unknown
Yokohama  
Eck Simpson
 Team RaceConnect
Mercedes 190 Evo2 DTM92 9 +2:16.258
---
14 +13L 1 0 ---
---
unknown
Bridgestone  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: RRE Season 8 (2021) DTM '92 - Suzuka - May 6  (Read 1100 times)
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 11:30:04 AM +0100 »

Interesting John. Thanks for that. I have no control over Sunday events. Stephen does alternate R3E and AC
Some people would not be happy with fixed setups I assume? Though it does remove the element of those who can
do setups may have an advantage. I will do some testing.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 12:11:43 PM +0100 »

Good fun race, but I do agree with John that the Audi just has too much advantage with its 4WD off the line.

Had a great battle with Leonardo for the first half of the race until he had a big 2-wheel moment at the chicane & I was able to squeeze past. Closed on Massimo over the closing laps but that was probably due to him nursing his tyres & taking it easy rather than me being faster.

Congrats to Massimo & Leonardo  clap clap. Having already secured the series win I will try a different car at Bathurst.

As for the next series. Good idea of John's to run a series with fixed setup, evens out the playing field. Both the BMW & Audi one make series are fun & easy to drive so should produce some close racing. Yesterday I tried the IMSA GTO cars for the first time as next weeks RaceRoom Enduro at Watkins Glen is for those & Gp C & I fancied having a go at it. Boy those cars are great fun to drive, fast & not too difficult. I think you guys raced them before I got into RRE, so could be worth a revisit. Also the Tatuus F4s which we were going to use before the change to FR90, had a physics update recently & are a little more challenging to drive than before, when they were just too easy, so maybe consider them again. Then there is......... oh no I better stop there. Roll Eyes

PS: It is the DTM 2020 that Stephen is running next on Sundays, not WTCC Matt.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:16:25 PM +0100 by Geoffers » Logged
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 12:40:39 PM +0100 »

Fixed setups do not equalise the field! They will split it even further depending on who likes  the setup and can drive around it. Also why i dislike single make as the cars inherent behaviour is then forced on everyone to try and adapt to though changes to the setup.

The last major update really made these cars ridiculously hard to drive, unforgiving. The Merc was having major bouncing issues through any sustained cornering i.e the long left corner before Degna 1 and would also spin up out of the hairpin which i preceded to do on the first lap Roll Eyes.

The only cars i seem to enjoy in Raceroom is the Gt3's!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:42:41 PM +0100 by spanner » Logged

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 12:44:01 PM +0100 »

Different opinions of course. Keep 'em coming.
I am wary of fixed setup, as I may not be able to drive their defaults..... Roll Eyes
I will run a few different cars at different tracks and see.

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 01:04:10 PM +0100 »

I pretty much drive fixed setups, e.g. the default ones. Usually any tweaks I make don't make me any quicker. There have been exceptions and others have kindly made their setups available when I've struggled to make a car work. Thus I don't generally mind a series running a car with fixed setups. Usually the cream will always rise to the top anyway and they'll drive around the problem.

As for my crashing, I've tried both my old Rift CV1 and my newer HB Reverb (original not the V2). I was going to try pancake mode using the monitor but I've moved things around and I couldn't get the monitor back on the race frame. I put its stand back on and the wheel gets in the way. Interesting about SteamVR potentially being an issue. I will go and investigate opencomposite.

SRW
Sunday Supremo
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 01:36:03 PM +0100 »

Can't say Pete. perhaps it's an issue with the VR? Try running an event with no VR does it make any difference?

It is getting near to at least 2 new seasons, so I need to think about what cars to run.
The FR90 has longer to run, as I duplicated the 2020 season as close as I could.

I would like to run cars that are less quirky. I love the FR90 but they are tough to drive
I like the idea of the Touring Classics and the DTM92, but they are not so easy to drive, for me at least.

I want to run some cars that I can drive, and will produce some close racing.

Options would be to change the FR90 mid season to FR2, which are quite fast, and much easier to finish a race with
I will do a poll for some choices when I have had a drive of everything. Stephen is running on Sundays soon WTCR 2020
I don't like electric, but The VW IDr might be an option.
The CR1 and Silhouette are free and are a good drive, but people seem to turn their noses up at them.
NSU have been popular in the past for a slow close race event.

Any ideas before I commit to a vote?

FYI
- I will be running 2020DTM soon, not WTCR 2020
Chunky

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2021, 09:52:27 AM +0100 »

Pete try this page on sector 3 forum https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/vr-performance-tweaks-tips.13068/
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2021, 11:37:22 AM +0100 »

Thanks for the link and I will follow up on it.

I did notice a couple of days ago one Windows 10 update was failing to install. Google the error number for a change came up with some really good instructions to fix this. It turns out the failure is to do with the WMR install. Running a nice command in an admin CMD prompt allowed the update to install. Being WMR related I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

I'm also rigging up another monitor so if all this doesn't allow me to finish on Thursday I can try non VR the next race.

BiriBiri

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 11:35:04 AM +0100 »

Great race, with a lot of competitors

Quali was bad, didn`t had the pace ( as i know read not all cars where at the same level  Tongue). Had a lucky moment at the start, but recovered from it. Also the essess section first time was a bit oversteery but after that did`t had any problems and gradually moved up the order. Most of the time i drove in a group of 4 with Toni, Frex, Glenn and one of the Italians.   

Well done Bonni, Geoff and Leonardo! Special mention to Birger for getting that Mustang that far up the order.

Thx Glenn, the main reason is i never had an incident  Smiley . I`m now using for the 2 last race`s VR, and i think it helps. You can now really look towards corner exits,.... .

Congrats to Massimo & Leonardo  clap clap. Having already secured the series win I will try a different car at Bathurst.

Maybe try the Mustang as i am now the only one driving in it  Grin. Car is quick on long straights, but slow at corner exit.
Looking forward towards Bathurst.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:08:23 PM +0100 by BiriBiri » Logged
BiriBiri

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2021, 12:04:27 PM +0100 »

Different opinions of course. Keep 'em coming.
I am wary of fixed setup, as I may not be able to drive their defaults..... Roll Eyes
I will run a few different cars at different tracks and see.

- Fixed setups fun as in, you don`t need to care about changing your car during prac and quali. But in difficult cars i schouldn`t do it because you can`t make then easy driving setups.

- F4 or F3 (maybe and i know not prefferable, but Macau  Lips Sealed Grin)
- free CR1 Aquila together if they match speed with the P1 or 2 (maybe and i know not prefferable, but endurance racing or more time or multipli tire usage so you have pitstops (maybe just enough for the persons to do no pitstops on the hard compound but 1 pitstop with 2 times soft is also possible).
- GTO classic (american circuits and maybe the daytona oval)
- short race`s with the NSU

PS: maybe only consider my suggestions after summer. Because if COVID allows it i will have a holiday from 18/6 till 15/8. This year we are 10 years married and would like to make a 4x4 roadtrip towards Iceland + Faroer for 2 months.
BiriBiri

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 12:31:48 PM +0100 »

Thx

@Pete, i`m currently using the HP reverb 2 for 2 race`s and i don`t have any problems with it. Didn`t changed anything of settings like in the link above, and using SteamVR.

The only problem i have with raceroom is that the menu appears at my feet  Grin Grin. And i always need to change my head height in windows mixed reality towards just above ground level (i don`t have that problem with DCS also in SteamVR)

@chunky: Is openComposite also working with the HP instead of the Oculus?

Another problem is the resolution (HP reverb 2 has a good resolution). But i have problems to read small fonts from the OtterHud (like the seconds from the relative bar). Still searching for a good VR HUD. where you can change the position also more towards your dashboard instead of right in front of you.
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2021, 12:46:26 PM +0100 »

Thanks Birger.

I have wanted to run the P1 or P2 for a long time. I particularly like the P2

I ran Macau once, but people didn't like it, mainly because of the Melco hairpin
I always test cars there, and some can get round without a lot of trouble
some you have to adjust steering angle to something quite extreme

I tried F4 yesterday, and they are much more interesting now.
I have run GTO in the past, but also had a lot of bad feedback, though the Audi is fairly drivable
Same for the Group C, which I like.
I tried the Audi cup and they are nice to drive with some minor setup changes
they turn in well enough.

Also the DTM2016 which are very good.

Nsu is fun on tight tracks, those are Pete's fave.
I hate pitstops because I always mess someting up, but in R3E they are not difficult. Would need
to be a longer race, say 40 mins to make it worthwhile. I only do 30 min events because that
seems to work. But we can run any lenght. Might do a vote, but I might just decide on some
cars that I think feel better.

If you have any ideas for cars, please shout up. I have quite a few comments about what people don't want
so help me with what you do want.  angel

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2021, 08:00:46 PM +0100 »

@Pete, i`m currently using the HP reverb 2 for 2 race`s and i don`t have any problems with it. Didn`t changed anything of settings like in the link above, and using SteamVR.

The only problem i have with raceroom is that the menu appears at my feet  Grin Grin.
I'm having problems with both my Reverb (original not V2) and my Oculus headset. I do wonder if installing the 2 runtimes side by side was a problem.

I have the Menu at below ground level problem to but I assigned a reset seat position action to a button on my controller that brings it up to eye level.

azaris

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 10:17:28 AM +0100 »

Fixed vs. open setups: I don't really mind as long as the default setup works properly. Unfortunately, since December many classes appear to have been broken or have strange default setups that make them unreasonably hard to drive (DTM 20). What I don't want is to have to spend hours every week fixing a broken setup just to be able to lap consistently.

My preferences for series remain largely the same.

Single-make: Porsche Cup (with ABS), Cayman Trophy, KTM X-Bow, BMW M235i, Audi TT

Multi-make: WTCC 14-17 (unless the Citroen is op), DTM 13-16 (issues with tyre compounds)

I don't really like any of the formula cars, to me they broke something in the aerodynamics in December and it never got fixed properly. Historical cars are hit and miss for me as well, the RaceRoom tyre model makes many of them unreasonably difficult to drive and that doesn't translate to good or close racing.
Chunky

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 11:07:50 AM +0100 »

@chunky: Is openComposite also working with the HP instead of the Oculus?

Hi Biribiri

I believe opencomposite is only for Oculus https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR, I don't know if there is a similar one for HP. the only thing I would say is the the performance gain were quite significant as mentioned in that post from raceroom.

on the fixed setups I think you can only use them on lower class cars like the BMW, Audi and even the Porche GT3 cup car. I have been driving on the raceroom ranked servers and quite enjoy and quick go on the fixed setup servers. it does promote closer racing as you all have the same car, maybe a few of you could try it out to see if you like it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com