by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 27, 2024, 11:53:29 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: GTL and Linux  (Read 2268 times)
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2021, 03:08:01 PM +0100 »

Tony, please sit down and take a deep breath...maybe even a tranquiliser......

I am contemplating installing Linux OS on my PC, Microsoft and Win10 has stretched my patience to breaking point with their infernal insistence that I create an Account ( why??!) and their intrusive and disrupting updates.

The boffins at GPL assure me that I can run GPL perfectly well ( if not better? ) on Linux, but as I regularly use GTL as well I wanted to check for any issues that I might face.

Linux can be set up on a USB stick and used a dual boot OS, so the plan is to take it slowly, slowly and not commit until I have everything running tickety-boo. Only then will I migrate GPL and then GTL under the Linux banner.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 03:41:00 PM +0100 »

Fantastic news!

This could keep me amused for months!

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 03:55:18 PM +0100 »

Hi !
I'm about to do the same ... Wink not because windows bother me or bother me Cheesy, (I believe that with win10, there is no longer a problem for a long time) but some here have me made you want to try again ... Wink
Although I am a little skeptical about the installation and use of certain games (AC seems not to be very easy with content manager for example! In terms of graphics performance and FFb too!)
And more, by experience , at one point, something is always missing under Linux that is easily found in windows! But, nobody forces me and anyway, it costs nothing !! Cheesy
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 04:08:15 PM +0100 »

Thankfully I have no  censored clue about GTL and Linux so I will say "I'm out".

I think Kurt has dabbled tho?..

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 05:04:29 PM +0100 »

Fantastic news!

This could keep me amused for months!

Rank   Only when I sweat
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 05:09:42 PM +0100 »

I might start asking Clive Loynes for advice, that should keep the smirk off of his face  shifty

I think Tony's reply was a total cop out, but I guess a little understandable  Roll Eyes.

Thanks to Christian for his comments. I won't be using it as a primary OS until I am 100% happy with it. From what I have been told thus far, I can run it alongside Win10 and simply select which OS I want to wrestle with when I boot my PC...............................anyway,  everyone needs a hobby!

Rank   Only when I sweat
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 06:16:51 PM +0100 »

Running a dual boot PC with W10 & Linux Mint 20 (Linux for all purposes & W10 for gaming & Photoshop only).

Would be a dream GTL running with Linux, but so far I have no problems with W10 at all
(except having to shutdown & restart the computer each time I want to play).
Up to now I have not been asked to create a Microsoft online account - but maybe I have an older version of W10.
I just read something about that and also that there are possibilities to ignore the creation of an online account
(will have a look).

GTL could work on Linux, but I've never tried it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57QCir0wlEs)l

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=3906

Too sophisticated for me  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 06:19:24 PM +0100 by SpecialKS » Logged

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 06:45:25 PM +0100 »

I saw a lot of posts from one of your GPL peeps, who was proudly sharing his GPL on wine on Linux success
Or at least I think he was running under wine. I have managed to get some old games like Descent
running in wine but you could count the frames. Apparently this was not the case for GPL
"Wine Is Not an Emulator". Well, purists flame wars asside, it kind of is. It translates the MS instructions
int Linux ones. So you install and run a Linux "Distro" (Distribution) of which there are many
https://distrowatch.com/ Probably as Kurt says Linux Mint is a good desktop one
My fave is MX Linux, but any will do that come with Wine, or you can install Wine onto.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 07:11:11 PM +0100 »

Microsoft and Win10 has stretched my patience to breaking point with their infernal insistence that I create an Account
This what I don't understand. Account for what?

I've never had this

I think you need to create an account if you want to buy MS products like Office 360 or whatever it's called this week.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 07:45:58 PM +0100 »

Microsoft and Win10 has stretched my patience to breaking point with their infernal insistence that I create an Account

I've never had this

I think you need to create an account if you want to buy MS products like Office 360 or whatever it's called this week.

I think it's for a new W10 install.

Quote from PC-World 02/21 - translated with DeepL:

Compulsion to have an online account?
Microsoft now restricts the possibility of a local user account in the home variant of its operating system.
During installation, the option was simply removed, so that - if the software company has its way - you have to log in with a Microsoft account.
However, this constraint can be circumvented by intentionally typing in a wrong password ten times.

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 07:52:29 PM +0100 »

I've never had this

They ask for an account to register the product, and even have access to certain customizations
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 05:25:28 PM +0100 »

Hi guys

yes linux + wine are able to run GTL as good as in w-ten - if not better Wink

I succeeded in running GTR2 (P&G) and the AC 67mod, so why not GTL?

For GPL a NVidia GPU is to prefer, but more modern games have the graphic tweaks needed in game, so you can have a recent AMD GPU

Linux mint is the save way to get a stable OS and with the cinamon or XFCE desktop you have a W7 like workaround.

Wine runs all DirectX versions and is better for the older games that are no longer supported by w-ten

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 06:05:31 PM +0100 »

I've never had this

They ask for an account to register the product, and even have access to certain customizations
My Windows 10 and 7 before that are OEM versions so maybe I have slipped through the net.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:45:59 AM +0100 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 06:24:47 AM +0100 »

Hi guys

For GPL a NVidia GPU is to prefer, but more modern games have the graphic tweaks needed in game, so you can have a recent AMD GPU

Linux mint is the save way to get a stable OS and with the cinamon or XFCE desktop you have a W7 like workaround.

Wine runs all DirectX versions and is better for the older games that are no longer supported by w-ten

That looks like a future project  Smiley - thanks for the update

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2021, 01:33:19 PM +0100 »

Hi guys

For now, for me, the first test is inconclusive !! GTL seems to be installed but impossible to launch it ...
I test under Mint and whether it's Lutris or Wine, something is always missing !! I have the message of a launcher that I need to install, but nothing installs ...
On the other hand, I have not found a method to install these games (GTL, PnG) without depending on Steam! If I (re) switch to Linux, I might as well be free from this kind of dependency, right? !!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com