by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 11:26:43 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTL and Linux  (Read 2095 times)
Cookie
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2021, 05:33:31 PM +0100 »

any success with pedals only connected?

Axel "Cookie"

poor, he who sees no stars without the punch in the face

an aphorism of  Stanislaus Jercy Lec
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2021, 06:00:52 PM +0100 »

No success with pedals only connected via Bodnar, "wine control" did not find them.

They must be connected correctly as I ran them via Win10 in the Reims race last evening, so I question the Plug & Play for Linux? But the SHIFTER is found by Wine and that works via Bodnar cable??

Tomorrow I will remove the Bodnar cable on the pedals, re-connect to the G25 wheel and try again.

Time for food now and some TV.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2021, 03:17:03 PM +0100 »

This afternoon I have  fired up MINT and then did CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE  which took me to PASSWORD window, Entered Pword and desktop appeared OK.  I have checked in NVIDIA for the current settings and it is running DRIVER 460-73-01.

Checking through the various settings which I have modified before as Axel's suggestions . POWERMISER=max performance......OPENGL= high quality etc, they had reverted to default settings? I reset them and asked to SAVE CONFIGURATION, but NVIDIA does not appear to SAVE. When I QUIT it tells me I still have unsaved changes??? . I QUIT anyway and presumably changes were not saved.

G25 issues.

I have just connected my pedals back to the G25 wheel and run TERMINAL with "wine control".

Under the G25 ( event) tab I can see axis movement for wheel and all the pedals. Bodnar shifter is still OK.

I also had an email from Bodnar this morning. They appear to think that once the Pedals cable has been calibrated in WIN 10, that it should be OK in Linux? They even suggest running it without calibration in Linux, but neither of those options produced a result  Undecided.

Experimented with USB2 and USB3 sockets for G25 and USB 3 are definitely better on my system, especially in GTL. USB2 gives a slight time lag between applying steering/brake etc before on screen car responds, so G25 wheel and pedals + Bodnar shifter are running via USB3 now. Tested GPL ( in Win10 and all OK ).

Fired up GEM and checked IGOR as well all looked OK.

Selected a random track/car to test controls. On previous days I was able to launch GPL and sit in car at pits ( but no controls ) Today, when I launch GPL I get a narrow graphics window, more like a mobile phone, which only shows a slice of the GPL display? I am still looking into this problem and will check back here for comments/suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:28:21 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2021, 04:06:48 PM +0100 »

Yes, the powermizer allways reverts, to auto...
(Pete has a permanent solution...)

With your other problems I have no idea how to fix, as imo there are some conflicting files of different NV versions in the system that do not work together.

I also don't understand if Christian says he did same install and had NV 460 from the first try why you had 390 only?

Please give it a second chance for a fresh install....

Axel "Cookie"

Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2021, 04:24:01 PM +0100 »

yes, I also think that we have to start from 0. when we have started to modify too many things and that it does not work correctly from the beginning, it is the only thing to do ... (already lived !!)

I didn't have the 460 from the start, but I changed it right away and without a problem.
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2021, 06:17:30 PM +0100 »

Yes, from start you have the opensource nouveau  as default  Wink

Axel "Cookie"

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2021, 12:32:32 PM +0100 »

I think a fresh start is the way to proceed.
I genuinely felt that GPL was close to running OK, just the BODNAR cables tripping that up with the pedals etc. Maybe as Christian suggested, the saved BODNAR calibration from WIN10 is held within the cable/plug, so when it tried to run under Linux things got confused? If that is the case, I am not sure how to get around it, but I figure that there must be a way as the SHIFTER has never been a problem, and that was calibrated in Win10 too?

But for the next day or so I am going to explore more things in the current MINT, and find my way around stuff. If I am going to do a fresh install, I cannot screw things up even if I get it wrong and anyway I have TIMESHIFT set for 4 saves per day at this moment. Once I achieve a working stable install etc, I can drop those saves to once a day/week.

A quick question for when I execute a fresh install. Is it necessary to use the original memory stick and opt for a total wipe of the SSD? or is it like Win10 where I just need to re-install the OS and leave my files etc untouched?

Not a big deal either way.

I might try a GTL install before I commit to the new MINT install, just to run through what will happen and what problems I hit.

For me it is a steep learning curve in computer stuff, so better to practice on something that I am going to wipe and restart anyway. If I think that the gremlins in the current MINT are a problem with GTL, then I will abort and start the fresh install.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:36:19 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2021, 04:16:33 PM +0100 »

Yes Clive a complete wipe of the old mint would be best as the NVidia was imo the problem.
No need to unplug the other HDD or SSD as the installer will show this in the menu Wink

You will then have a Bootmanager automatic starting to choose wten or mint

Axel "Cookie"

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2021, 04:49:30 PM +0100 »

I have just been carefully checking through what I have done on this first install.

I have discovered that I have WINE 5.0 and not WINE 6.0 Huh could this be the reason for the problems? or maybe combined with the Nvidia ?

Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2021, 08:33:28 PM +0100 »

No, this is fine! the 6.0 has a bug! - the 5.0.3 is the ubuntu version and working fine for us Wink

Axel "Cookie"

Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 05, 2021, 05:14:23 PM +0100 »

I found the solution for the low res boot - your CPU is too fast to load the NVidia driver.
I had same with my Ryzen here...

just a 5 sec sleep in the /lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service makes it  Wink

You have to open it as root!

Code:
[Service]
# temporary safety check until all DMs are converted to correct
# display-manager.service symlink handling
ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 5
ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c '[ "$(basename $(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null))" = "lightdm" ]'
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/lightdm
Restart=always
BusName=org.freedesktop.DisplayManager

Axel "Cookie"

Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2021, 09:15:10 AM +0100 »

Hi Clive,
Where are you with your tests?

Just for information, after having had some troubles with my tests (tested several Linux ditri) I had to do something stupid (despite that linux was on an individual disk) and it was impossible for me to restart Windows, no way !! So I erased everything and installed Linux Mint alone ... Roll Eyes

There was still some work, especially for the drivers, I had to find the 450 (which is no longer accessible and which works for RFactor 2 among others!)

So I run GPL and GTL !! thumbup2

For the moment, Linux is the winner!  thumbup1   (@Axel Wink)

About bodnar cables for the pedals, can you adjust the sensitivity of the brakes for GPL? (as can be done originally in GTL) I find the braking attack too abrupt in GPL
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2021, 07:12:05 PM +0100 »

Hi Christian,

I have been kept busy in the garden by the resident officer of the fun police ( aka wife ) and need to find a couple of hours to wipe and re-install Mint. I am hoping that what I have learned from the first install will make things go easier......maybe???

The Bodnar cables do not allow for any sensitivity adjustments on the brakes, but if you use the Logitech Profiler software there is a slider adjustment to change the sensitivity of the brake pedal.
TBH, from my experience in adjusting this slider the effect is not dramatic. I find that traing your braking foot to tread lightly on the pedal and getting the brake balance % correct  is more effective.

In GPL generally you are looking for close to 50/50 brake balance, maybe 52-53% towards the front if you find 50/50 unstable.

Rank   Only when I sweat
Cookie
UKGPL Moderators

Chris Amon fan

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2021, 07:49:07 PM +0100 »

Clive have you tried killing the controls.cfg in GPL player folder for your pedals?

Axel "Cookie"

Slow Fred

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2021, 09:47:51 PM +0000 »

Hello,
Err I think this is my first post or one of them anyway. laugh
I know this is an old post but I use Peppermint Linux as my daily and have done for many years.
I too am not a great lover of Windows and have always been suspicious of what is running in the background. I do use it for gaming but not much else.
Anyway a few years ago I ran GPL on Linux and it worked great. I did have to jump through a few hoops to get it running but there are some quite detailed articles about how to do it.

I'm actually here because I started watching Turbo Racing's YouTube channel (Dimitar) and downloaded GTL and P&G.
I've been talking to him on his Discord server and he keeps telling me to join the UKGTL server and do some races.
I have never raced online before and am not particularly fast and would be mortified if I punted someone off the track.
I'll have a think and maybe try some short Races.

Fred
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com