by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

April 27, 2024, 11:17:18 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Useful Setup Information  (Read 582 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2021, 12:50:00 PM +0100 »

Original post by Hristo moved to here by Admin

Guys, not sure where to post it, so I'll post it here before there are any other replies. Was looking for some tips on setting up a mod in rf2 earlier and found this comprehensive guide for iRacing:

https://d3bxz2vegbjddt.cloudfront.net/members/pdfs/iRacing_Setup_Guide.pdf

If you ignore all the setup parameters that don't apply to GTL, the rest of it is pretty much applicable to what we're racing, so check it out if you want to improve your setup knowledge.

I haven't read most of it (was only interested in one specific thing), so I can't promise there aren't any mistakes in it, but it seems very well done from what I saw.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Christian Dauger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 06:33:51 PM +0100 »

it seems that a chapter is missing on the differential ... if not, it looks good
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 10:14:55 PM +0100 »

it seems that a chapter is missing on the differential ... if not, it looks good

You're right, I didn't notice!

Here's a quick rundown on setting up the diff in GTL in particular:

1) Power - the amount of lock of the diff when you apply throttle. How much you set this up depends on the car and type of corner. For instance with a RWD car that has higher grip levels, it helps to run lower lock, so you can avoid having understeer and snap oversteer under acceleration, and it also helps going smoother through faster corners. A higher lock helps with low grip cars and exits out of slower corners, but may produce understeer and/or snap oversteer if you overdo it.

With FWD, because you set those up for a lot more oversteer than normal, you tend to run much higher Power lock, to let the front wheels pull the car forward without much wheelspin. It still has to be modulated with the pedal and not just floored before the weight transfer from front to back is complete.

2) Coast - the amount of lock of the diff under deceleration (throttle lift up and braking). You control how much and how quick the car rotates when you decelerate, thus managing the corner entry. This really is down to personal preference and the balance of the car. Some cars require a lot of Coast lock because the moment you lift up they tend to rotate rapidly. That is very much a function of engine braking and the wheelbase length, as well as weight distribution. With cars that have a natural tendency to understeer, reducing Coast can help a lot.

3) Preload - the amount of 100% lock until a certain threshold is reached under acceleration or deceleration, after which you gradually switch towards the levels of lock by the Power and Coast settings. What this helps with is having some constant lock when the car is rolling on its own, which can make it more stable in the middle of corners, especially longer corners. It's basically a fine tuning parameter that can give you some additional stability at the expense of having reduced rotation rates in the transition between acceleration and braking. I rarely use more than the minimum with this.

I hope this helps.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com