by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 20, 2024, 01:36:33 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L21CC-C Hockenheim: June 28, 2021
June 28, 2021, 08:41:52 PM +0100 - Hockenheim (Short) - UKGTL Season 21 GTL Cup Challenge - Stage C
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Hristo Itchov
 Turbo Racing
Chevrolet Corvette (#858) GTC-65 1 1:14.295
78.088mph
1 48:58.606
75.022mph
38 1:14.968
77.387mph
Dunlop  
Daz9

Chevrolet Corvette (#900) GTC-65 2 +0.369
77.702mph
2 +20.164
74.511mph
38 1:15.027
77.327mph
Dunlop  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Chevrolet Corvette (#858) GTC-65 4 +1.507
76.536mph
3 +26.272
74.357mph
38 1:16.814
75.528mph
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Chevrolet Corvette (#888) GTC-65 7 +3.040
75.019mph
4 +1L
72.307mph
37 1:17.051
75.295mph
Dunlop  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Chevrolet Corvette (#854) GTC-65 3 +0.604
77.459mph
5 +19L 19 1:15.258
77.089mph
suspension
Dunlop  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Chevrolet Corvette (#900) GTC-65 6 +2.990
75.067mph
6 +33L 5 1:17.183
75.166mph
unknown
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Chevrolet Corvette (#801) GTC-65 5 +2.896
75.159mph
7 +35L 3 1:17.696
74.670mph
unknown
Dunlop  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 21 GTL Cup Challenge - Stage C - Hockenheim - Jun 28  (Read 779 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:45:43 PM +0100 »

Championship standings HERE

Grid/server capacity: 22

Track: Hockenheim (Short)

Cars allowed: Chevrolet Corvette (GTC-65).

CUP STAGE C, Round 6

Practice: ~19:20 (60 mins)
Qualifying: 20:20 (20 mins)
Race: 20:40 (38 laps)

Time of Day Setting: 14:00
Start: STANDING
Tyre wear: Normal
Fuel consumption: Normal
Pit stops required: It's possible

Server: simracing.org.uk Monday
Password: see above

Notes:
(1) It's best if all drivers can make sure they are connected before the Qualifying session as drivers on track during qualifying will not see cars that join after they are on track until they go back to the garage.
(2) Please make sure you are fully aware of the SimRacing.org.uk Rules.
(3) The AI control should be turned off so that you have control of the car at all times, including pitting. Your player file should therefore read
Autopit="0"
Force Autopit Off="1" // Forces autopit always off
No AI Control="1" // AI never has control over car
If you still finding pitting problematic, experience tells us that its less to do with positioning and more to do with approach speed. A slow approach to pit crew chief has proved most reliable.

Special Notes: None.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 09:53:34 PM +0100 »

A re-run of last Mondays race.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 09:49:45 PM +0100 »

Results and replay now posted.

Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 01:22:53 PM +0100 »

What a tough race! The Corvette sure eats up its rear tyres and at this track in particular, with its slow long corners that require dancing with throttle to turn the car around, it was even more pronounced!

Despite grabbing the pole in the last moment, I knew it was going to be tough fending off Daz in the race, as he was very quick when we first attempted the race a week ago. My start was OK but then I messed up at T2 and dropped behind Daz, Geoff and Erling.

Erling was generous to immediately let me through, but by the end of lap one Daz and Geoff were already 2 or more seconds up ahead. I thought I had to look after the rear tyres so I'd have enough resource at the end, but at the same time I didn't want to lose touch with the leaders. Daz was pushing extremely hard early on and it took me several laps to match his pace and even began to close up the gap little by little.

Geoff seemed to be struggling after a few laps and I managed to overtake him at T2, after which he dropped further back. The chase to catch up to Daz continued and we exchanged fastest laps.

Once I was close though, overtaking seemed next to impossible, unless he would make a big mistake. It seems we had different setups and/or driving styles, because he would be noticeably quicker in some places around the track and I was quicker at others.

My hope rested on looking a bit better after my rear tyres, so I kept going as smooth as possible, and still attempt to put pressure on Daz in front. After half distance, I even began to make some attacks on the outside here and there, and even almost got him going into the hairpin, but he managed to get back in front before the stadium section.

It was a very intense battle overall and I even nudged him a few times under braking where he seemed to be struggling. One of those situations I spun him around, so had to wait for him to recover, but by then there was nobody close behind, so it was not a problem.

One other issue that I had to deal with was driving with 2 track cut warnings for 2/3rds of the race, after going wide twice at T1, so I was anxious not to cut anywhere and get a penalty.

Finally near the end of the race I got my chance to make an attack on the inside, after Daz went wide at T1 and that compromised his acceleration. We went side by side through T2, but I just managed to accelerate earlier and grab the lead. He was still pressing hard after that and was even quicker on some laps, but eventually dropped further back after mistakes.

The last few laps were very tricky, with my tyre resource showing almost at zero, so I had to nurture it carefully until the finish.

Congrats to Daz, Erling and Tony as the only survivors of this torture!  Grin

SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 05:30:13 PM +0100 »

Result

Cool

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 05:48:04 PM +0100 »

Hard to find any sort of consistency with this car. Took a lot of effort for me to even approach my own pb from the first race. Eventually got there, even knocking a 10th off in qual.  The rerun also provided an opportunity to try out Hristo's setup properly.  Found it too lively, especially the rear and I had problems controlling the car.  So stuck with my own, which happened to be at least partially inspired by his legendary Rover setup  Smiley

As he said, I let him past on L1, as it seemed pointless to hold him up.  Sad to see my two main competitors; Matt & Clive, both retire early.  That left Tony as the only other 'normal' driver.  While his speed surprised me, it was still shaping up to be a lonely race.  That is, until about a third in, I passsed a stationary Geoffers.  He hunted me down over a few laps, and when he got close, I felt obliged to extend him the same courtesy as Hristo earlier, thus hitting the brakes to let him past.

However, when he got in trouble again soon after, letting me past once more, the gloves were off - there are limits to how many times I'm giving away a podium place for free!  The gap seesawed a little, but seemed to stabilize around 2.5 secs. Regrettably he then dropped further back and retired.  Was gaining on a Daz in trouble towards the end, but race finished before it could get interesting.

Grats to Hristo on the win & Daz for 2nd.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 07:16:26 PM +0100 »

That left Tony as the only other 'normal' driver.
wacko wacko wacko

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 07:17:08 PM +0100 »

Thank you Kurt  thumbup1

Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 07:22:17 PM +0100 »

Very difficult car on this track. Had good pace early on & kept up with Daz until running too deep into T2 & allowing Hristo past. After that the rhythm went & I had a spin at T5 gifting 3rd to Erling. He graciously let me have the place back when I caught him but it didn't last long as another error dropped me back to 4th again. I really struggled with the tyres for the next few laps, so at half distance I decided to pit for new rubber, that's when it went wrong. I usually have the space bar mapped as the pit limiter, but at some stage I must have changed it, so it didn't work. Predictably I got a penalty for pit speeding & decided that was enough & retired.

Congrats to Hristo, Daz & Erling & well done to Tony for reaching the finish too.  clap clap clap
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 10:18:36 PM +0100 »

Yep, pretty much exactly as Hristo described.

Good start from us both, but he was a little deep in turn 2 and I could turn under and drive away. I really, really wanted to go nice and slow, I promise, but Geoffers was right on my tail and it felt like I needed to just ease away to be more comfortable. This most definitely had ramifications though.

Geoff dropped back, and Hristo was now giving chase. We traded laps for a time, but the gap was only 1.5 seconds, so when I made a bit of an error he was on me. So, the next 20 odd laps were spent trying to not repeat an error, and let him through easily. As Hristo said, there were a couple of sections that I was quicker on, and this gave me a little buffer here and there, but as the race went on it became more and more obvious that he was now quicker than me by some margin. Eventually the inevitable did take place, one run wide just prevented enough drive, and he could squeeze past. I tried to stay close, hoping that maybe he would burn his tires really hard trying to push away from me, but I went off in the effort of trying to maintain the laptime.

The car was now essentially undriveable, and I could not keep any pace at all, and just had to hang on for the last couple of laps as Erling was closing in, eventually being saved by the flag.....Was so tricky at the end, can't remember the last time I had to work so hard to go so slow. Torture at the time, but felt rewarded once the flag waved.

Interesting tactic Geoff. I was around 6-7 seconds off the pace at the end, and for a lot of laps was at least 3 seconds off, so a tire change may well have paid off even on this short lap. Hadn't even thought about going that route.

Grats to Hristo, apologies for being in the way, I can only assure you it was my very best speed in a car that was not co-operating  Grin
phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 08:02:29 AM +0100 »

Clive went off on lap one, I might have contributed to that, though I was not aware of any contact
he might have been trying to avoid my wayward driving....

I was not intending to join this one, as it's masochism, great car at some circuits, but for me, it is
a nasty combo at this tight layout. I was chasing Tony but I had a cut track, and could not bear
to do 30 more laps trying to avoid a stop and go, so left.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 08:25:24 AM +0100 »

The rerun also provided an opportunity to try out Hristo's setup properly.  Found it too lively, especially the rear and I had problems controlling the car.

Yeah, that setup was pretty much only useful for a banzai lap in qualifying but difficult to drive consistently. I did something crazy which I didn't mention - right before the race, I made a complete reversal with the suspension parameters, all in the blind without testing, hoping to somehow have it easier on the rear tyres during the race. Whether it worked or not, i'm not sure lol.

I went for a stiffer rear spring, soft front, but then made the front anti roll bar stiffer and the rear one softer. Also added more camber at the rear, to supposedly prevent it from sliding in the longer corners. It wasn't bad, but I noticed in the stadium section Daz was noticeably quicker. I was better through the faster corners and under braking. Go figure... I like the car, but can't quite figure out the way it reacts to setup changes.

As for the pitstop Geoff mentioned, I considered it, but never did I expect the tyres to wear off THAT much until the end of the race. Much like Daz, I also don't remember having to work so much hard in a race in recent years. It's random, but I thought of Blain's quote from the Predator "Makes Cambodia look like Kansan". This one made other races feel like driving with helper wheels.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:30:27 AM +0100 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 09:27:13 AM +0100 »

The rerun also provided an opportunity to try out Hristo's setup properly.  Found it too lively, especially the rear and I had problems controlling the car.

Yeah, that setup was pretty much only useful for a banzai lap in qualifying but difficult to drive consistently. I did something crazy which I didn't mention - right before the race, I made a complete reversal with the suspension parameters, all in the blind without testing, hoping to somehow have it easier on the rear tyres during the race. Whether it worked or not, i'm not sure lol.

I went for a stiffer rear spring, soft front, but then made the front anti roll bar stiffer and the rear one softer. Also added more camber at the rear, to supposedly prevent it from sliding in the longer corners. It wasn't bad, but I noticed in the stadium section Daz was noticeably quicker. I was better through the faster corners and under braking. Go figure... I like the car, but can't quite figure out the way it reacts to setup changes.

I was reasonably happy with one inspired by your Rover setup as mentioned.  One thing I did tweak was stiffening the front spring, as it helped keep the rear in place under hard braking - otherwise I tended to lose it, for example at the hairpin.
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 07:44:55 PM +0100 »

Much like Daz, I also don't remember having to work so much hard in a race in recent years.

Lol, yep. You can add another layer to that, as I did not mention I had the second jab on Monday and by the time the race came around my left arm was definitely a bit out of sorts and sore! The Vette nearly finished me....
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 04:17:06 PM +0100 »

Much like Daz, I also don't remember having to work so much hard in a race in recent years.

Lol, yep. You can add another layer to that, as I did not mention I had the second jab on Monday and by the time the race came around my left arm was definitely a bit out of sorts and sore! The Vette nearly finished me....

Ouch! I know what you mean, my shoulder was like that the first time and it was actually the previous Monday when we ran this the first time, but fortunately for me it was postponed for this Monday  Grin I hope my second jab in July doesn't overlap with another race

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com