Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 10:45:06 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setup tips for noobs/stability?  (Read 1779 times)
chrisbitz

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2005, 10:36:17 AM +0100 »

Hiya, I'm having great difficulty/frustration with driving in GTR, and I'm determined to persevere for the moment.

I love the friendly and respectful attitude of all the expert UKGTR racers, so I'm not going anywhere else just yet, but I'd appreciate any advice you can offer?

for instance...

What's the broad difference between various cars? Are some heavy with more power and some light but nimble? Are gt2 cars competitive with gt cars? - what's the difference? is it just less power or something?

What car is a good forgiving starter car? I liked the lambo, but everyone seems to have that, so I moved to the saleen but It seems to have fairly poor slowing down ability in comparison..

Are there any setup settings I can try out to make it less spinny and more fogiving? :-) like softer suspension, of dampers or something like that?

That should get me started for now,... :-)

thanks!

Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 12:19:10 PM +0100 »

If you have a look in the showroom it gives you all the stats on the different cars (weight, engine position, power & torque curves etc). Engine position probably has the biggest impact on the car's handling (ignoring the setup).

Yeah, the Saleen is heavier than the Lambo which is why it doesn't slow down as quickly. I found the Saleen & Corvette the easiest GT cars to drive at first. I recommend giving the Gillet Vertigo Streiff a go, it's handles very well. Wish I'd tried it earlier.

If you're locking the wheels a lot try reducing the brake pressure. Reducing the steering lock gives finer control. I usually use 12-13 degrees, Simon likes about 10 degrees. If you're spinning out of the corners increasing the power diff might help.

Biggest thing is practise really. I don't think I have much natural talent for GTR, and don't know much about car setup, but I have a pretty decent GT rank now and can usually complete a 30 minute race without running off the track. I've done a lot of laps over the last 5 months.

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
chrisbitz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 02:33:05 PM +0100 »

Thanks for the advice - I tried the gilette, and yes, it is a lovely car, but doesn't seem even remotely competitve with everyone else... :-)

and I've got a weird problem with the current gear indicator - only on that car, where it seems that the LED display is broken, and it doesn't clear the digits, so after 3 gear changes, I'm always in 8th gear! :-)  I'll see if another nvdia update's available... :-)

Anotehr good thing I found was that at Monza, it seemd under braking the car was skipping over the bumps and locking up really easily, so I decreased all the fast damper settings, and it seems to have helped matters quite a bit!

Keith_D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 04:49:51 PM +0100 »

and I've got a weird problem with the current gear indicator - only on that car, where it seems that the LED display is broken, and it doesn't clear the digits, so after 3 gear changes, I'm always in 8th gear! :-)  I'll see if another nvdia update's available... :-)

I had the same problem, I changed display to 32 bits and it worked fine after that

screwylewy999

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:44:07 PM +0100 »

I found the Lister to be quite forgiving, also try increasing the brake ducts, that has helped me to get consistent braking. but as with all setups only adjust one thing at a time, get a few laps in then review your changes. Its a slow but rewarding procress.

I use the Dfp steering wheel so I use about 17 degrees of lock to compensate for the 2.5 times lock.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com