The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 25, 2024, 06:17:57 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 11 and your current hardware  (Read 287 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2021, 12:27:23 PM +0100 »

I'm no IT expert but I am interested in using my current racing PC for as long as possible before I need to update/replace/rebuild it.

So I have been concerned by the wave of IT guys on You Tube explaining why Microsoft's next version of Windows could alter the lifespan of your current hardware.

See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqqeRxJipw (other videos are available).

Although Windows 10 should be supported until 2025 you should check if your hardware is TPM enabled.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

phspok
Director, UKPnG
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 12:45:03 PM +0100 »

It appears that WIn11 will "require" a TPM2 security hardware module
A lot of modern PCs will probably already have that. older machines will not.
That's why it may not support older kit.

My new (ish) system has all that, so would be ok. However when I bought it
I had an extra SSD installed, to make a dual boot with Linux, but the security
module defeats my attempts to dual boot....... Win11 to me, is yet another reason
to get away from Microsoft at some point in the future.

The box said "Windows 2000 server or better" So I installed Solaris
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 11:31:04 AM +0100 »

Checked by better half's laptop and found the TPM reference in the BIOS so that's Ok. But I think my Mobo is too old as I cannot find any reference to TPM at all.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com