The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 05:10:16 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • A17 Watkins Glen: September 08, 2021
September 08, 2021, 05:54:51 PM +0100 - Watkins Glen (Boot) - UKAC Season 17
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
FullMetalGasket

Coyote Corvette Daytona Prototype {unknown} 2 +0.050
---
1 47:12.466
---
28 1:38.400
---
Continental  
goldtop
 Kerb Crawlers
Dallara Corvette Daytona Prototype {unknown} 1 1:38.353
---
2 +19.259
---
28 1:38.510
---
Continental  
spanner
 Prodigy Racing
Dallara Corvette Daytona Prototype {unknown} 4 +0.946
---
3 +31.173
---
28 1:38.871
---
Continental  
Stefan aka Postal
 Legends Racing
Dallara Corvette Daytona Prototype {unknown} 5 +1.312
---
4 +1:19.691
---
28 1:40.003
---
Continental  
Syd Drake
 Drake Racing
Coyote Corvette Daytona Prototype {unknown} 7 +2.722
---
5 +1L
---
27 1:41.069
---
Continental  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Coyote Corvette Daytona Prototype {unknown} 3 +0.603
---
6 +7L
---
21 1:39.043
---
Continental  
KDiesel

Dallara Corvette Daytona Prototype {unknown} 6 +2.244
---
7 +23L
---
5 1:41.778
---
Continental  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKAC Season 17 - Watkins Glen - Sep 8  (Read 829 times)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 05:40:57 PM +0100 »

Sorry, 40 minutes as per the main text.  I think it must have copied in the last race we did here and I missed that.

I may regret the 40 minutes as it's 30 odd degrees here!
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 11:04:54 PM +0100 »

Enjoyed that  Smiley

Had a nice battle with Tim (can't say that very often) and having filled up for the start was hoping I might outwit him on the pitstop with a quick splash and dash, but I think he had the same idea. After he pitted I pressed on but unfortunately took too much inside kerb going into the Boot and spun around, then struggled to get back pointing the right way again. I ended up sitting sideways across the track and got collected by Tim  Embarrassed Managed to limp on but was 1.5 secs/lap slower with the damage.

If anyone fancies some offline fun, there's a prototype mod by URD (AC PX) which includes the P2 Oreca car which competed in the same class as these Daytona Prototypes and runs very similar times. They also do a GTE (AC EGT) car pack from the same era which I actually prefer to the Kunos cars.

https://www.unitedracingdesign.net/shop-1?Collection=Assetto+Corsa

Combine these with the LMPC Oreca which is included with the Daytona Prototype pack and you can set up some great offline endurance events.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 09:07:13 AM +0100 »

I too enjoyed these cars, but as seems usual for me in AC races I made a mess of the first lap, this time bumping Mark into a spin, very sorry. So the rest of the race I was playing catch up until I ran wide out of the final turn & wrecked the suspension making the car virtually undriveable.

One thing that really bugs me about AC is the severe reaction you get by running over kerbs on the apex of corners. Nearly always it results in the car being pulled in sharply & often causes a spin. Very unrealistic in my opinion. Is there a rule of thumb for setting up a car to minimise this reaction or do you just need to avoid the kerbs?
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2021, 09:53:24 AM +0100 »

I'll be honest, when I first tried these after GT's suggestion I didn't think I'd enjoy them much despite clearly being a well made mod - but I actually really enjoyed the race. They really encourage some pretty high risk Vs reward driving when pushing hard and seem able to race well when close.

One thing that really bugs me about AC is the severe reaction you get by running over kerbs on the apex of corners. Nearly always it results in the car being pulled in sharply & often causes a spin. Very unrealistic in my opinion. Is there a rule of thumb for setting up a car to minimise this reaction or do you just need to avoid the kerbs?

This is car dependant - you won't get it on anything short of monster kerbs when in road cars, most classics, or underpowered stuff.
Drive something stiff, monster powerful, or high downforce and the bounce over the kerb will cause a very sudden increase/decrease/increase in lateral grip because of lack of suspension travel/give to accommodate the bump.
For example, my track car with a tight diff nearly ignores kerbs unless it's a wet day - a similar road car with a similar diff but 600+Bhp WILL do it's best to spin if you use the kerbs in the same way as you now have soo much more power than grip available at the unloading point.
Modern race cars are nearly always low and stiff as this gives the best grip and aero efficiency - ride height and control is utterly critical to this grip - and kerbs destroy all of that control the moment you start to drive up them (you also have grip differences between kerb material and tarmac, the shape of the kerb and the sudden transfer of grip from both driven wheels to just one).

You can adjust suspension to cope (higher and softer) but this will normally make the car handle worse and corner slower due to reduced aero so unless you are on a track that encourages using these kerbs and gives a gain when doing so (tight city course for example) your best bet is to drive around the problem.
Additionally a (much) tighter diff will stabilise the car too to some degree, but again this isn't always a very fast or nice setup and certainly didn't seem to suit these cars when I tried it
Simply lifting at the point you hit the kerb will prevent the loss of rear grip, in last nights cars I found the fastest method was to take the chicane kerbs as straight as possible in order to let me brake & accelerate and simply avoided running very high up the kurbs anywhere else as it would both generate a gap under the car (massive rear downforce reduction) and also encourage the 'outside' suspension to bottom out.

I ran very high up kerb on the penultimate corner a few laps after getting passed GT and very nearly put my self in the wall when I lost my downforce. That said I also learnt that if you can be precise enough about how high you run you can use the slight drop in rear grip to increase your rate of turn and go faster as a result - this is very much the risk Vs reward I mentioned earlier as getting it wrong could end your race Grin

It's worth adding that while the behaviour is accurate, it's not ideal in AC and is actually one of the improvements Kunos were able to make in ACC (AC uses a single point to calculate tire contact like all other sims upto that point in time - ACC uses either 3 or 5 (I forget which) points spread across the tire width to enable better simulation of a tire climbing a feature such as a kurb and can then take tires pressures and temperatures into account properly, it also adds the annoying ability to simulate rim strikes and the pressure loss/damage associated with them....
All this really means is that you still spin but can't make as many excuses Cheesy )
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2021, 12:56:43 PM +0100 »

A few times during the race i got caught out on the kurbs but the smaller ones around the hairpin on the boot which then resulted in a rather strange reaction on the car. i imagine the rather open diff and it simplistically having more grip on the tarmac as to the curb and grass means it will drive inwards.

I guess for aero purposes the front springs are pretty stiff but i wanted to drop them down to gain some grip on the fronts for the low speed but hadn't done any practise like that so left it. I did drop the ARBS down by two clicks on the front and rear which helped massively on turn in and mid corner grip. 

Couldn't see anything in the mirrors into the first corner so just tried to turn in but got spun around. I've done too many multiplayer races to be overly annoyed by it. I was more annoyed the Geoff decided to penalise himself by dropping to the back of the field and going slowly! with so few people I'd rather did what they can and stayed close together.

Wasnt clear what my fuel per lap was, the setup only states the total laps so guess and went with two 50L stints. Car are interesting to drive... enjoyed that. Cars that require me to be as smooth as possible I like to drive as it gets me to focus on trying to extract as much laptime.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 01:13:14 PM +0100 »

Like Mark, it was the smaller flatter kerbs that I had a problem with, the bigger ones, like at the chicane, the car was quite happy to bounce over. I also found that if you got over the flatter kerbs onto the grass it was OK,  just the kerb itself seemed to pull you in.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 03:17:26 PM +0100 »

From memory the smaller kerbs are concave - so the higher you run the higher the car gets and also the steeper the slope you're trying to stick to. Rear downforce is heavily dependant on the rear diffuser - therefore on ride height.
Run up the kerb and the inside wheel takes all the power and spins up, which will only encourage running down the slope of the kerb even more - the entirety of your lateral grip is being generated by your outside tire at that point and due to the ride height increase that also has less grip available than normal.
When you're on the grass your rear end is flat as it's no longer up the kerb so against all logic you have a 'more' stable rear end as you have most of your downforce still.

I'll have to drive over to one of the smaller ones and get out to take a look later, but profile is likely the key here - the big kerbs at the chicane have a flat top and are sloped on both sides which gives greater tire contact if not actually more grip (unless you're running very deep over them in which case gap under the car is small again, so you only have actual material grip to factor in)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2021, 05:13:44 PM +0100 »

I just took the free camera for a spin while watching the replay of last night - all of the kerbs at Watkins are Vallelunga style so it's really no surprise that running high unsettled the cars.

In real life you'd probably only even try and use them hard in qualifying as the shaking is so violent!

I'm going to figure out a fun race for next week and then start the next season the following one once I've settled on suitable tracks - stay tuned Smiley

Also as these we so good I'll ask Dave to add them to the database in case they get used again in the future - give us about a day and I'll be able to upload the results.
KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2021, 05:33:45 PM +0100 »

It feld good drive with proper cars instead of those last time wheeled coffins...my race ended those notorious kerbs, never had time to make car right for this track or any track in this case. We should do series with these + other LMP's.
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 01:30:33 PM +0100 »

I agree. Altough I hadn't done much setup on the car, these are fairly easy to drive at fast pace but are more powerfull as say a gt3. So I am up for a short series with these if more peeps fancy them.

And GT and FMG suggested some quality mods, like rss gt and vrc chevrette. And I think it is worth a poll who would purchase these for a series. Maybe there is more interest when the weather is getting colder?

School is important, but race cars are importanter
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2021, 02:47:38 PM +0100 »

That's what I'm hoping - after the GPL series died out in the summer I'm not running anything that requires much work at my end. I'm not wasting the best part of 2 evenings a week running a series for 6 people  no
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com