The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 12:08:50 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • F1 '79 Silverstone '79: January 19, 2007
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: F1 '79 test - Silverstone (79) - Jan 19  (Read 18338 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2007, 09:46:43 PM +0000 »

Madd I think the rFactor lobby thing was down tonight. You needed to select a host directly with the blue plus and enter games.avonrise.co.uk as the server name and it should have shown you the server.

Well that wasn't fun. I finished 5th but only because everyone but the 4 in front dropped out. These cars sound so good but I really don't get on with the driving model. I took an ASWRC thing for a quick spin round the same track and the car felt so much more alive and responsive. So much more fun but we've tried that Sad Good luck with the '79 stuff I won't be there.

Madd-RIP

Power and Glory slave

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2007, 09:58:03 PM +0000 »

Thanks picnic, didn't know about the blue tab..ah well typical of today, nothing really went right. Sorry guys for not showing up to give my support.

cej

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2007, 10:21:41 PM +0000 »

This was great fun  thumbup2

Great racing and lots of people spinning off the track Cheesy

Picnic: you should give the lotus a go. It corners really well. I like it. Although I did push a bit to hard at the end and crashed into the pit, while they were repairing my engine went up in smoke  Shocked

We need more races like this  punk
JonM_uk

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2007, 10:29:40 PM +0000 »

I really dunno what was up with my GFX card. Monitor goes to sleep twice. I've been on this thing all week with no probs and all still seems well on other games Huh Nice while it lasted though, great fun Cool

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2007, 10:30:29 PM +0000 »

Although I did push a bit to hard at the end and crashed into the pit, while they were repairing my engine went up in smoke  Shocked

Same thing happened to me in the second race - bent the front suspension, crabbed it back round to the pits, only to watch as the temperatures soared and eventually my lovely Renault engine went up in flames. I should've put myself to the back in the second event, as it was I was getting a bit bored out front after Paul968's challenge ended in a spin. When I looked at my best lap it was a 24 - on softs! - so I started pushing for a 23 and the inevitable happened.

The turbo cars are very, very hard to get off the line but once going they're massively quick. In another car's slipstream I was flying by like they were standing still - Dan was a bit unlucky that I caught him with 2 laps to go because I lined him up for a pass in the tow on the last lap when I knew he wouldn't be able to come back at me. Cheesy

Really, really like these cars, although I suspect we're not getting even close to the laptimes which are possible. For me at least they have much more feel than the Armaroli cars, and feel very natural. I suspect the Renault is good in that repsect because it's quite heavy so it telegraphs what the car's mass is doing very clearly.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Adam Parle
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2007, 10:34:46 PM +0000 »

Really enjoyed that.  Quallified 5th in the first race, only to drop to 11th after spinning it.  Got it together after that, and as people fell foul of everything, I came through the field finishing 3rd.  Pretty uneventful though.

Second race was good, behind 2 of my teammates at the start (which I completely missed) - spun a few times, but had a good battle with Ce in the middle part of the race.  Ended up 2nd behind Paul W .... if only we could have more Legends 1-2's!!!!

Didn't think I would race this initially, as the cars were a handful to start with, but after a number of laps I was much more comfortable, and really enjoyed the nights racing.

Cheers all, look forward to the next event.
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2007, 10:38:19 PM +0000 »

Couldn't agree more- they feel alive and are a real thrill to drive with the sound and shaking cockpits. It's probably my age but I just remember getting hooked on F1 around the time these cars were shaking their thing and this mod brings it all back (even given the slightly lack-lustre graphics). There is a nice variety of cars too what with the turbo/injection engines and some of the crazy aero ideas of the time... got to love the Renault rear wing that screams "1970's" Cool

I got beached in the first race and the engine overheated after about 30 seconds of trying to move- got to open those rad vents or just be extremely careful not to compromise yourself because it probably won't end well if you do! Second race and I faired better with a good finish for me and Adam in the sim we were made for Wink

Thanks to everyone, expected carnage but everyone drove like real gents 

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2007, 10:38:36 PM +0000 »

Yes, really enjoyed that, although the Alfa was a bit too much of a handul in the race when trying to match the Renault. 2nd race I had a comedy spin into the pits and did a drive through (at less that 199, honest!). I was leading on lap 5 when my engine lunched itself, a result of forgetting to open the rad after qual - doh!

Sorry to Ruskus in race 1 - you braked earlier than expected at club, I slipped down inside to avoid but then slid a touch wide off the curb and there was contact.  oops
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2007, 10:46:06 PM +0000 »

Sorry to Ruskus in race 1 - you braked earlier than expected at club, I slipped down inside to avoid but then slid a touch wide off the curb and there was contact.  oops

No prob Grin. I had to brake early with that car, and I didn't want to rearend the guy infront.

There was a race 2 Grin?
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2007, 10:49:12 PM +0000 »

Replay is here. I've sort of imported the results but the car mappings are all made up nonsense as I realised that the upgrade system it uses to cope with the myriad combinations is invisible to my importer. Undecided

I had real problems with the textures being wild and wacky though. In the first race I couldn't see my front wheels and in the second my pit guys looked like they had been through a particularly unpleasant Star Trek transporter beam accident. Shocked I guess I'm glad that they got the physics to feel so good rather than spending lots of time on the models, but the latter do need some work...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:00:37 AM +0000 by Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer » Logged

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2007, 11:27:37 PM +0000 »

Take that! I joined in a Mini Cooper lol
Madd-RIP

Power and Glory slave

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2007, 11:33:06 PM +0000 »

:'( Any chance of doing another of these races?

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2007, 12:01:44 AM +0000 »

Right, I've improved the car mappings a bit; results updated for race 1 and race 2 (new event numbers so the previously posted links will no longer work).

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2007, 10:02:38 AM +0000 »

So much for rFactor's perfect multiplayer then.  angel

So that was 12 people plus 4 or 5 missing (including myself)? Not bad, but not sure it's enough. Gonna need some serious uptake from advertising elsewhere.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2007, 10:16:55 AM +0000 »

So that was 12 people plus 4 or 5 missing (including myself)? Not bad, but not sure it's enough. Gonna need some serious uptake from advertising elsewhere.

Bear in mind that it was a Friday night. I'm not convinced either but if we could find a suitable race night and did a bit of promotion who knows. It's certainly made me keen to join the Race2Play series which is going to be running on Thursday nights just before the UKGTL race (which would become light post-F1 relief Cheesy).

The mod still needs some work though - parts are really quite unpolished. Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com