by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 09:02:07 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L21TTTT Donington Park: October 13, 2021
October 13, 2021, 08:42:56 PM +0100 - Donington Park (GP) - UKGTL Season 21 The Top 12 Tracks
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Dimitar Dulichki
 Turbo Racing
Ford GT40 (#3) GTC-65 2 +0.378
85.690mph
1 49:24.578
84.256mph
28 1:44.976
84.980mph
Dunlop  
Hristo Itchov
 Turbo Racing
Ford GT40 (#840) GTC-65 1 1:43.729
86.002mph
2 +0.313
84.248mph
28 1:44.957
84.996mph
Dunlop  
Daz9

Ford GT40 (#54) GTC-65 3 +0.456
85.625mph
3 +10.338
83.964mph
28 1:44.000
85.778mph
Dunlop  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Ford GT40 (#12) GTC-65 4 +0.547
85.551mph
4 +34.447
83.289mph
28 1:45.242
84.765mph
Dunlop  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ford GT40 (#10) GTC-65 5 +2.243
84.182mph
5 +1:02.407
82.519mph
28 1:46.674
83.628mph
Dunlop  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Ford GT40 (#840) GTC-65 6 +2.788
83.751mph
6 +1:12.955
82.233mph
28 1:46.448
83.805mph
Dunlop  
seniordan
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ford GT40 (#95) GTC-65 7 +3.096
83.509mph
7 +1:41.321
81.472mph
28 1:46.834
83.502mph
Dunlop  
Christian Dauger
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ford GT40 (#840) GTC-65 8 +3.255
83.385mph
8 +1L
80.356mph
27 1:47.683
82.844mph
Dunlop  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Ford GT40 (#4) GTC-65 11 +6.023
81.282mph
9 +26.115
79.662mph
27 1:48.025
82.582mph
Dunlop  
philippe GIRARD
 Equipe BGB
Ford GT40 (#205265) GTC-65 12 +9.632
78.695mph
10 +3L 25 1:54.110
78.178mph
suspension
Dunlop  
SpecialKS
 TEAM-GTLDK
Ford GT40 (#18) GTC-65 10 +5.980
81.314mph
11 +18L 10 1:48.681
82.083mph
unknown
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Ford GT40 (#201306) GTC-65 9 +4.362
82.531mph
12 +25L 3 1:50.009
81.092mph
unknown
Dunlop  
PaulV
 Blue Moose Racing
Ford GT40 (#3) GTC-65 13 +20.520
71.798mph
13 +26L 2 2:03.445
72.266mph
unknown
Dunlop  
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
GT Legends
GTC-65
1:43.729
86.002mph
Hristo Itchov
Qualifying
Ford GT40October 13, 2021, 08:42:56 PM +0100
L21TTTT
GT Legends
GTC-65
1:44.000
85.778mph
Daz9
Race
Ford GT40October 13, 2021, 08:42:56 PM +0100
L21TTTT
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 21 The Top 12 Tracks - Donington Park - Oct 13  (Read 1517 times)
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2021, 05:46:14 PM +0100 »

One of those lonely races even though I enjoyed the car more than I expected.

Quite pleased with my qually time, much quicker than in testing but still only good enough for 4th. I hoped I may have been able to hang on to the fast trio in the race but got a terrible start. Like Hristo I struggled to hear my engine & just did not give it enough throttle resulting in losing places to Erling & Dan. Dan waved me past early on & a couple of laps later Erling nearly lost his car at the final turn & donated 4th place to me. By this time the lead trio were over 6s ahead & any hopes of podium rested on one or more of them making a mistake.

The first half of the race I could more or less keep pace with the leaders only losing a tenth or two a lap. After half way though I started to lose focus running on my own & the mistakes crept in & at times I was 2-3s a lap slower & I trailed in a distant 4th.

Congrats to DD, Hristo & Daz, excellent drives.  clap clap clap
Dimitar Dulichki

Turbo Racing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2021, 06:51:51 PM +0100 »

Hristo said everything really well. I won because i was the one with less small mistakes. It was so much fun and I needed to keep the focus because during the whole race there wa someone behind me.

Grats to Daz and Hristo, it was awesome to fight you again.

https://youtu.be/Ax_3lULmPWk

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter Thompson

My YouTube Sim Racing Channel

My Twitch Sim Racing Channel
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2021, 07:29:27 PM +0100 »

I hope I didn't disturb anyone during my laborious race.
I'm new to ukgtl, I just can't do it.

I'm going to ride a lot to improve my times.
the problem is that it's completely different from gpl.

it will take me a while, but i'll get there

thank you for your kindness and patience towards me

Grin

Long live rock and roll !
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2021, 07:53:16 PM +0100 »

someone can give me an alpine setup for monday, or rather a simple setup base, stable enough, so I can practice

I set the steering sensitivity to 73%.
is it a good idea ?

if i keep the steering sensitivity at 51, i find the steering too soft

I use a g27

Thanks for your help

Long live rock and roll !
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2021, 11:18:40 PM +0100 »

someone can give me an alpine setup for monday, or rather a simple setup base, stable enough, so I can practice

I set the steering sensitivity to 73%.
is it a good idea ?

if i keep the steering sensitivity at 51, i find the steering too soft

I use a g27

Thanks for your help
In Windows there is a app called USB Game Controller. It contains some useful things. Search for it.

My personal preference is to have very little steering input so I use these settings for my G27.

Open USB Game Controller. Make sure your wheel is selected in the opening screen. Now click Properties. Here you can test that everything is working ok. Now click Settings. I have wheel rotation set to 170°. Then in garage screen I have wheel rotation set to 15. Works for me but you need to find what works best for you. BTW I have steering sensitivity set to 71% with 2% deadzone.

Have you looked online for an Alpine setup? There are two in the Dijon folder. One is called A110 dijon and the other is called Renault Alpine GD. Download both and try them out then fiddle with them to make them suit you.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2021, 12:00:31 AM +0100 »

Great fun, even in the GT40, a car I've never truly got on with.

Was on race fuel for quali, empty tanks were making the car only a little quicker, and I preferred to be in the habit of how the car would be in the race. Which went very nicely at first, a good launch got me alongside Hristo into turn 1, but with the inside line into it so I could sweep into the lead. Dimitar followed me through, although having watched his video how he avoided a jump start I have no idea  eek lol

Was actually running at my own pace out front, but was surprised to see the gap slowly increasing. The car was a little inconsistent on the brakes, which meant a couple of laps were a little slower, but in the main I found I could pull away without too many problems. But, whilst I was pushing away merrily I just caught a little grass at Schwantz curve, which upset the car too much to recover before McLeans and I was off. And clouted the tyre wall with the front left, more of which to follow....

This let both of our Bulgarian friends through, but only by 2 seconds or so. Composed myself, and just decided to run behind for a while, knowing it was going to be very difficult to overtake in these cars here, that fact was the reason for feeling the need for a good start initially after all, and thinking that saving tyres may be a good idea given how much I had probably already taken out of them. But, despite now running behind Dimitar and Hristo, and normally having a marker makes it much easier to run at a pace, I found I was now struggling a little to close in even though we were running around a second or so a lap slower than I had been by myself. I realised over the next 2 laps or so that the car was no longer giving me the same speed through the turns, especially the right handers, which there are many of at Donny of course Roll Eyes Sad.

The only way I could claw any time back on the guys in front was to massively overdrive the car from this point. Worked alright for a while, but didn't fancy being able to overtake like this. Did get gifted 2nd for a while by Hristo, but he was too quick when behind me to hold off, I was now in deep doo-doo on the tyres and running wide in all 3 hairpins nearly every time. My efforts to extract pace had taken their toll, and the car was really quite poor to drive for the last 6 laps or so, with the 2 guys out front steadily pulling away. Crossed the line for a slightly frustrated 3rd place.

Unlucky for Hristo to not get the win, I think maybe overall your pace was the best for the race distance on average, but I held you up for a start, and you also had that one mistake earlier that cost you some time....but big grats to Dimitar, very consistent and with essentially no proper mistakes to report, you were the very deserving winner here.
Dimitar Dulichki

Turbo Racing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2021, 01:55:57 PM +0100 »

although having watched his video how he avoided a jump start I have no idea  eek lol

Yeah, I talked about that on the replay section of the video. Cheesy

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter Thompson

My YouTube Sim Racing Channel

My Twitch Sim Racing Channel
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2021, 01:58:48 PM +0100 »

Your own surprise at getting away with it was funny, yes   Grin
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2021, 09:12:29 PM +0100 »

Once again I will recommend Ducfreak's sound mod for this car - with it it sounds so deliciously raw, that I can easily forgive it all its handling vices!

I have spent much time in the past trying to set up the GT40, without too much luck.  Hristo's first setups were better than my own concoctions, and with these I set a best of 1:47.3 secs.  Tried his updated V3 & V2, and with the former, I got a new pb of 1:47.0, although I found it trickier than the first ones. V2 felt a little safer, but I could not match my pb with V3. Time and time again, I would arrive at the final chicane with 3-4/10 improvement, only to lose it all in that final sector.

Tried Geoffers' setup too. Coming straight from Hristo's, it felt safer, but more understeery.  Again I could not quite match my V3 pb.  Thus went back to that V3, trying to improve further. Found it hard to control the car though, especially at the exit of bumpy Coppice. If I kept the loud pedal mashed here, the car would often dart left or right, when the rears suddenly bit.  Exasperated by repeatedly losing the rear, I raised the suspension, to make it better cope with the very bumpy bits, and dropped the power diff from 70 to 20%.  With this I finally improved my pb, by dipping into the high 46's.  During qual I managed to shave close to a second more off.  Laptimes posted by the aliens remained in the realm of fantasy though.

Looked for a setup from Daz too, but couldn't identify any in the online database.  Thanks goes to Hristo & Geoffers for providing theirs.

Got a good start, getting ahead of Geoffers. Initially puzzled he didn't pressure me more, but hadn't realized that it was in fact Dan behind me - he had done his usual phantom start, gaining two places.  He quickly waved Geoffers past though - no brown envelope this time Mr. Senior!   Kept Geoffers behind me for one lap, but then got on the power too early/hard exiting the final corner and almost lost the rear.  That let Geoff & Dan through, but more importantly also dropped me into the clutches of Matt.  Basically this was the start of a virtually race long battle.  Whenever I got a small gap for whatever reason, and thought I would get a breather, he would bounce back to breathe down my neck once more.  Refused to buckle under the pressure, so managed to stay ahead of him all through the race.  Around lap 20, he had an off, giving me a gap of 7-8 secs and finally i bit of a breather.  Dan had taken himself out a few laps after passing me, so I regained that position.

Grats to DD & pod; commiserations to the unfortunate ones.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2021, 01:40:16 AM +0100 »

Thus went back to that V3, trying to improve further. Found it hard to control the car though, especially at the exit of bumpy Coppice.

I had the exact same issue and couldn't figure it out. I tried some changes, but it didn't improve much. Looking at DD's live stream video, he was much better through that part. I compared my setup with his and there weren't any big differences, so I'm a bit puzzled.

I concluded that it could be the way I'm using the revs compared to him. I kept trying to short shift and keep lower revs to supposedly have less torque, but perhaps his approach of revving high and staying on the rev limiter for longer before changing up, might have been the key. For example, accelerating in 2nd all the way through Coppice and waiting before shifting up to 3rd. That gave him a higher fuel mileage, from what he told me, but it seems to be worth it.

Not that I expect to drive the car again any time soon, but I should keep it in mind in general whenever I hit similar struggles.

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2021, 02:03:44 PM +0100 »

Thus went back to that V3, trying to improve further. Found it hard to control the car though, especially at the exit of bumpy Coppice.

I had the exact same issue and couldn't figure it out. I tried some changes, but it didn't improve much. Looking at DD's live stream video, he was much better through that part. I compared my setup with his and there weren't any big differences, so I'm a bit puzzled.

I concluded that it could be the way I'm using the revs compared to him. I kept trying to short shift and keep lower revs to supposedly have less torque, but perhaps his approach of revving high and staying on the rev limiter for longer before changing up, might have been the key. For example, accelerating in 2nd all the way through Coppice and waiting before shifting up to 3rd. That gave him a higher fuel mileage, from what he told me, but it seems to be worth it.

Not that I expect to drive the car again any time soon, but I should keep it in mind in general whenever I hit similar struggles.

Don't know how GTL models an engine's torque curve / characteristic, but if it's realistic, then you could easily have peak torque somewhere below max revs, and then your short shifting might land you right in the peak torque range.

If you consider real life engines, many if not most, will have their peak torque well below max revs.  Most profound prob. turbo diesels; I recently was a passenger in an Audi A6 3.0 TDi which was chip tuned.  Had insane low down pull, already around 1500 - 2000 rpm, but by the time you reached 4000 rpm, it was clearly running out of puff.

Not sure about race tuned V8s, but would expect big American V8s to have their peak torque at relatively low revs - I remember burnout competitions where big yank tanks were spinning their wheels at quite low revs.
Nappe1
Ex-NoGrip Coordinator
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Protobuilders' Garage

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2021, 12:30:38 PM +0100 »

Don't know how GTL models an engine's torque curve / characteristic, but if it's realistic, then you could easily have peak torque somewhere below max revs, and then your short shifting might land you right in the peak torque range.

If you consider real life engines, many if not most, will have their peak torque well below max revs.  Most profound prob. turbo diesels; I recently was a passenger in an Audi A6 3.0 TDi which was chip tuned.  Had insane low down pull, already around 1500 - 2000 rpm, but by the time you reached 4000 rpm, it was clearly running out of puff.

Not sure about race tuned V8s, but would expect big American V8s to have their peak torque at relatively low revs - I remember burnout competitions where big yank tanks were spinning their wheels at quite low revs.

Street, race and rally engines have all different needs for the torque.
- In street you want to easy start offs and small fuel consumption on speeds that car is driven long periods of time. That's why in street cars have very low max torque point and nowadays with Variable valve and cam timing  engines, the toque curve is pretty much flat all way thru after the raise to max.
- Rallying you need more high end power, but want also have mid-range umph to get out of the trouble in certain situations. So, the max torque point is somewhere in middle of the range.
- in Race engine, it is all about the highend power and staying there. As the track is pretty much controlled environment, driver can be expected all the time to hit the corner with correct gear and so as the power (hp) is torque (lb/ft) x (rpm / 5252), moving  max torque to upper part of the rpm raises fast the amount of power.

in petrol engines, the type of the block does not make a difference, but engine size does. With very small engines, it does not really matter if the engine tune is for rally or the race as you want to get everything out of that 700cc power unit. In these cases gearbox makes the difference by having extremely short ratios to make it easier keep it on that very short power band. Very high tuned screamers have so little torque in low end that they hardly run idle at all and starts are like from slow motion film. (Check out from youtube how slow from the start line the legendary Bevan Imp was in BSCC 1971-1974 seasons. But after it got it going it was really fast.)

Btw, I am using auto clutch and paddle shifters with my G27. Not that I find changing gears without clutch unrealistic (Straight Cut gearboxes can handle a lot more abuse than street boxes anyways) but just simply because I find it less annoying than the fact that I don't have place for the shifter now and using clutch with paddleshifters... um, that feels so wrong more than one way.

And what comes to gearbox and how realistic they are in GTL, The gearbox model in game is really really simple and you can't make Touring car gearbox options correctly limited. In 1960's and 1970's touring cars had gearbox with certain amount of gear setups. Most of them had 2-4 sets homologated and by a set I mean complete set of 4-6 gear ratios as a whole. So you could choose like from 4 different gearboxes plus final gear. Not like in the game that you take 1st gear from gearbox #1 and 2nd from gearbox #2 and a heck let's put gearbox #4's fifth gear as third gear to our car.  That was not an option back in touring cars back in a day. In F1 or prototypes they might have possibility to build layshaft and powershaft gears by hand matching them to work together, but most likely they did not as making optimal ratios per track would  been tedious, time consuming  and labor was expensive as it is now, so expensive as well.

So when I realized that, the realistic factor went straight out of the window. This is also the main reason why in my mods usually has only one option for each individual gear.

GTL is really great simulation game, as you remember that it does have it's limitations. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:35:21 PM +0100 by Nappe1 » Logged

GTL Modding: The real never ending story.
Member of - Protobuilders' Garage - Brickyard Legends Team - RP Design
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com