The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 20, 2024, 05:47:14 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: For this season would you rather:
Place a brick on the accelerator at Le Mans - 8 (66.7%)
Throw the car around a bit in Austria - 4 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 18 - Prototype Pot-luck!  (Read 1841 times)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2021, 04:19:23 PM +0000 »

For season 18 we will try something different - we've been fighting with/against AC's habit of picking cars from different years for some time now while trying to balance differing grids of cars.
This time we are taking a different approach and running the cars 'as is'.

To enable a mixed grid of not-quite similar cars to run together we're going to simply use some of GPLs methods - namely, you will only be allowed to drive each of the cars a maximum of 3 times in the season.
The only exception to this rule is the 917k which is your Joker - this can only be used once! - so ensure you pick a circuit you feel confident of hurling it around.
It is worth noting that it will easily out pace all 3 of the other cars on any circuit though, so you don't have to just use it in the 'fastest' track - some gamesmanship can be brought into play here to steal extra points if you gamble correctly ninja

There are no forced pitstops, so your strategy is your own to choose. Some cars will definitely need to stop and others might go the entire race without doing so - I'll post up some laptimes and fuel/tire life ranges from some testing I've done at Brands later to give you all a starting point.

RULES:

Cars allowed and maximum number of uses allowed:

Ford GT40       - can be driven 3x
Porsche 908LH - Can be driven 3x
Ferrari 330 P4  - Can be driven 3x

- Joker -
Porsche 917k   - can ONLY be driven once. For the avoidance of doubt if you crash out or fail to finish you will not be permitted to race it at another round.

Scoring
Due to the fragility of the cars and the length of the races we will use the GPL method where-by only your best 8 results count towards the championship.
This means that retirements or unavoidable absences should not affect your results adversely if you manage to finish most rounds successfully. As it's a GPL rule set we'll be running this means you must finish 50% of the race to score points, so remember to pace yourselves - you're racing the tracks and the cars as much as each other in these!

Damage/fuel use/track conditions
Damage   = 80%
Fuel use  = 100%
Tire wear = 100%

Server track settings:
SESSION_START=95
RANDOMNESS=2
LAP_GAIN=0.02
SESSION_TRANSFER=80

Race Length
The poll is currently still running - but based on the results so far I am leaning towards lap-based distances calculated to last roughly 90 minutes (based on 917 laptimes). I will probably round the laps to the nearest round number in miles/KMs to give some historic authenticity to the event.
As made up examples: The 300KMs of Spa, the Brands Hatch 150 etc.

Notes
Due to how the server for AC needs to be setup it may be a requirement of the series that you inform me of your choice the day before the race so I can populate the server accordingly. To allow the pot-luck/strategy aspect to play out you can do this by PM to me - to allow for transparency as I'll get to see what you're upto before the race I will post my own car choices against the tracklist before the season begins.

Track list

For the most part tracks will be drawn from the better historic mods/Kunos circuits available, with a few exceptions where either the modern layout is identical or at least has a classic enough 'feel' and suits these cars.
(My own car choices are in the brackets after each track)

1.  Spa (Kunos)                    15th Dec     (908)
2.  Brands Hatch GP (Kunos)   22th Dec     (GT40)
3.  Mosport                          5th Jan      (P4)
4.  LM67? / Oesterichering?    12th Jan     (GT40)
5.  Riverside                         19th Jan     (908)
6.  Hockenhiem                    26th Jan     (GT40)
7.  Feldbergring                   2nd Feb      (P4)
8.  Laguna Seca (Kunos)        9th Feb     (P4)
9.  Sebring                         16th Feb     (917)
10. Classic Monza (Kunos)     23rd Feb     (908)

For #4 I am including a choice that I will put to the drivers. These cars give us an excuse to go to the period correct (dependant on car year) VirtuaLM conversion, however due to the speeds involved and the good old fashioned 1960's safety measures the place is quite frankly lethal in these. Added to that it's a bit boring doing half the lap at full throttle....
As a high speed but more interesting alternative I have the Österreichring which we know suits these cars well from a previous fun race.

I strongly suggest you test LM before you vote!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 11:08:37 AM +0000 by FullMetalGasket » Logged
MaxVeloce
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 08:15:52 PM +0000 »

This season is Max approved  tt1

Can I vote for Bridgehampton for round 4 though, it just suits these cars.   LM = snorefest, and TBH the alternative isn't much better.  Sorry to crap on your otherwise brilliant plan  Sad  (but see my initial comment ^).
Stefan aka Postal

Team Legends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 09:42:09 PM +0000 »

Sounds good to me!
Do you have a link for LM67.  But I suspect Ostereichring will be the better choice anyway.

School is important, but race cars are importanter
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 10:03:41 PM +0000 »

Le Mans link added (I was hoping to do it tomorrow as you lot don't normally spot stuff this fast  Tongue

Max, I was seriously considering Bridgehamton but the sheer bumpiness makes several of these a handful. I'm happy with that challenge but a lot aren't Smiley
This is why we're taking the 718's there for a fun event instead Wink
MaxVeloce
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 11:13:45 PM +0000 »

I'mma vote for LM then, at least it has shades of GPL to bring some history to the party.  Not bothered about the insta-death thing, just stay on track  Shocked

Lorenzo Galluzzi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 12:49:24 PM +0000 »

Amazing announcement  Tim, i've done some laps at Spa, seems the Gt40 has no chances to compete laugh
KDiesel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 01:56:27 PM +0000 »

Cars & tracks look great but get best out of it massive test sessions needed, I think I just grab something and head to track....
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 08:47:53 PM +0000 »

Amazing announcement  Tim, i've done some laps at Spa, seems the Gt40 has no chances to compete laugh

Not entirely true - it competes nearly directly with the 908 on laptimes, and while it doesn't have the fuel range is has MUCH better endurance.
The 908 doesn't have a rev limiter so will need much more care on a longer run, it also won't take as well to being bounced off the scenery.

And as you have to drive them all the relative pace is irrelevant anyway, think of it more as multi-class - you just need to finish highest out of the other GT40's.
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 09:20:45 PM +0000 »

Nice concept for a series this  Cool

Be interesting to see how it all pans out but I've a feeling it could turn out to be one of those classic SROUK seasons that will stick in our memories. Hope we get a good turnout for this.

I think Kimi has the right idea, don't think about it too much just grab the car you fancy do some practice and hit the track  Smiley

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 08:09:48 PM +0000 »

Hello
can you give me a calendar , please

thank you Grin

Long live rock and roll !
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 08:48:15 PM +0000 »

It will probably start on Weds the 15th Dec and have a short break over Christmas. But I haven't had time to sit down and do all the dates yet or even start on the background stuff in LM2 yet Smiley
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 11:30:32 AM +0000 »

thumbup1 thumbup2 scooter

Long live rock and roll !
MaxVeloce
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 05:33:45 PM +0000 »

Can we have a practice race at feldbergring  in some random car before the season starts,  because I havnt tried it yet Wink
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 08:22:10 PM +0000 »

Sure - don't forget you medical cover ninja
MaxVeloce
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 08:26:28 PM +0000 »

I dont know whether to thank you or run  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: