The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 27, 2024, 09:20:46 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: For this season would you rather:
Place a brick on the accelerator at Le Mans - 8 (66.7%)
Throw the car around a bit in Austria - 4 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 18 - Prototype Pot-luck!  (Read 1846 times)
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 08:46:41 PM +0000 »

well, I can't do it. even when driving slowly, the car turns in place, it is too complicated to master. I however tested other cars on assetto, I succeed more or less. there, with this mod, impossible to hold the car it turns all alone on the spot, while hardly pressing on the brakes. I tested 20 minutes, nothing to do. I think I'm wasting my time, I don't understand a thing, I'm really sorry.
33 / 5000
Résultats de traduction
i don't know how you do Huh Huh

Long live rock and roll !
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 09:43:13 PM +0000 »

Philippe - remember these are old wobbly spaceframe sportscars with bad tires and massive 8 or 12 cylinder engines.
In a corner even coming fully off the throttle and coasting is enough to loose the rear and spin - the art to driving them is to be smooth in everything you do and to always balance the car.
You can likely get away with throwing the modern stuff a bit as it has a lot of grip - but that really won't work on historic stuff here Smiley

If you're trying my setup I'd suggest maybe try the default instead - I'm not exactly known for making stable cars, although by my standards those setups are VERY safe!

I doubt I can do anything before Friday, but I can always do some laps around Brands in one of the cars and upload the onboard replay with the various apps turned on. That may help you see how I'm driving it.
Philippe Girard

Long live to GPL and rock n' roll

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2021, 10:27:50 PM +0000 »

thank you, metal, for your help.

I had forgotten that these are old cars, with special settings.  Cool
I'll make do with the default setup. and i will try to stay on track, lol
I think I'll be lapped 14 times, but hey... angel Tongue

Long live rock and roll !
SimMadPaul

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 01:35:47 PM +0000 »

Looking forward to this but whether I can do 90 minutes I am not sure. I'm finding the 917 a real handful. Even driving conservatively the car spins out without much provocation. I will need to do a lot of practice and choose the right track for it.

One thing there is a 66 Spa track available would this not be better than the modern Spa circuit? Bit late now but one to remember for another historic series perhaps.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 02:43:15 PM +0000 »

It would be much better - but it's a rip from Pcars (IIRC) so we aren't allowed to run it here.
Also based on my GPL experience in prototypes, we'd have even less finishers than after a round at Nurby, Feldbergring or Targa (Yes, I did consider that one too Grin )

With the 917 downforce can hide a multitude of sins - and at lower speeds you really don't need to keep changing down. That car has so much more power and torque than the others that it will still out drag them if you hold gears down as far as 3000 RPM, it's often faster to do that I might add Wink
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:45:18 PM +0000 by FullMetalGasket » Logged
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2021, 03:04:57 PM +0000 »

Spa 66 is ripped from rFactor 2 and is one of my favourite tracks. Having bought rF2 I have no problem with any rips from that game considering the hours of frustration it has given me  laugh

Thanks for the setups btw. Max kindly sent me a setup for the Huracan after my troubles in the last series and although it was certainly pointy, it did make it easier to drive consistently so I'll certainly give these a go.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
SimMadPaul

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2021, 03:42:44 PM +0000 »

It would be much better - but it's a rip from Pcars (IIRC) so we aren't allowed to run it here.
Also based on my GPL experience in prototypes, we'd have even less finishers than after a round at Nurby, Feldbergring or Targa (Yes, I did consider that one too Grin )

With the 917 downforce can hide a multitude of sins - and at lower speeds you really don't need to keep changing down. That car has so much more power and torque than the others that it will still out drag them if you hold gears down as far as 3000 RPM, it's often faster to do that I might add Wink
OK that makes sense. I'll give your setups a go. Cheers.
MaxVeloce
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2021, 04:39:22 PM +0000 »

Max kindly sent me a setup for the Huracan after my troubles in the last series and although it was certainly pointy, it did make it easier to drive consistently so I'll certainly give these a go.

Well its nice to know it helped, and you're not the 1st to say that as I've given the odd setup here and there in the past too  Smiley

Without being an ego-maniac,  I'm starting to think maybe I should just share a "safe" setup for most cars pre-race and maybe that will close up the field somewhat and make it more interesting/fun for everyone.  Of course setups/car balance are a personal preference thing so I don't expect everyone to like them but then as said before, Tim quite often has a very different setup / driving style to me so if he's sharing some as well that gives everyone a choice...
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2021, 05:06:57 PM +0000 »

If my setups don't put people into hedges I'll probably need to start thinking about hanging up my boots Cheesy
MaxVeloce
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2021, 05:18:53 PM +0000 »

lol
MaxVeloce
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2021, 12:08:43 PM +0000 »

Just to clarify, round 10. Classic Monza is the super long banked fun version, right?
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2021, 12:31:18 PM +0000 »

great set of cars and tracks.  Cool Sadly i am already committed in another series elsewhere but may try and join rounds where i can (if thats okay?). I actually havent used AC for about 6months i think. Cry but been missing my historics racing lately.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2021, 01:03:55 PM +0000 »

Just to clarify, round 10. Classic Monza is the super long banked fun version, right?

No, if we were to run the GT's on the banking then it would be on the 1000Km course as used in '67 - which AC doesn't have. I seem to remember the chicanes are actually modelled, but I don't trust you lot to actually go through them all race Tongue
This is the road course, which is what they used for the majority of the time.

And yes Mark - you're welcome, just try and get your car use as equal as you can Smiley
MaxVeloce
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2021, 01:51:12 PM +0000 »

Tim : Sad   (can I bribe you into changing your mind Tongue)

Mark :  hey, wondered where you'd got to, come race  Smiley

goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2021, 02:44:34 PM +0000 »

Tried your setups Tim and the cars seem to be better behaved for me but I'm still more concerned with staying on track than pushing laptimes.

I've been running my practice laps with the "Slow" track setting which is supposed to be approx 96% grip to try to simulate what our race settings could be and tbh I think this is where much of the problem lies for me.

The cars are REALLY slidey and unpredictable even at that setting. With server settings of 95% +/- 2% we could end up racing with even less grip and a dozen or so drivers aren't going to rubber in the longer tracks very quickly. Might be fine for sideways types but for us mere mortals I fear it could be a spinfest  Undecided

Welcome back MJ  thumbup1 I was wondering where you'd got to.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com