Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 10:35:16 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Poll
Question: What format Endurance would you most like to compete in?  (Voting closed: March 16, 2007, 09:59:49 AM +0000)
Mixed class 80 minute - 13 (31.7%)
Mixed class 2 hour - 7 (17.1%)
GT1 only 80 minute - 2 (4.9%)
GT1 only 2 hour - 2 (4.9%)
GT2/GTC only 80 minute - 2 (4.9%)
GT2/GTC only 2 hour - 3 (7.3%)
Mixed class mixed length - 9 (22%)
GT1 only mixed length - 1 (2.4%)
GT2/GTC only mixed length - 2 (4.9%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Season 5 Endurance championships format poll  (Read 4964 times)
LEUVEN

???

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 02:59:00 PM +0000 »

I am going to wait untill after tonights event before voting, but expecting to be voting for the 2 hour races.
I think I'm on the same line as pops and I would not like to have to have mandatory pit stops.
It takes so much out of it it becomes pointless the cars having different characteristics, if 2 stops is going to be forced then cars with better fuel economy will suffer even more if they are already down on power/performance.

They keep me locked up in this cage, can't they see it's why my brain says Rage.
cej

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 02:59:42 PM +0000 »

I don't think it's a good idea to have forced number of stops no matter what.
Some cars don't use as much fuel as others,but might be a bit slower. If the race is sufficiently long these cars could still place well by not having to pit as many times.
It all just adds to the variety  of the game. For instance the lambo is a real gas guzzler and would probably not be used as much with different rules,same with the 550. I like it when there's a lot of different cars in the field.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 03:12:38 PM +0000 »

Isn't two hours long enough to remove the mandatory pit-stops?

Yes. The ideal situation from my point of view is two hours and no mandatory anything (I don't think even the Vertigo will do 2 hours without a stop). But I understand why the 5 minute break might be a necessity for some drivers and certainly appreciate it myself.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 04:13:46 PM +0000 »

You're assuming the slower cars have better fuel consumption which is only true for some cars but certainly is not for all.

If you do 2 hours and no mandatory stops no one will take the Lambo or Mosler or BMW or some of the other thirsty cars as they will have a 1 minute penalty from having to take an extra stop. The race will be about taking cars that only need one stop and will just reduce the number of cars people will take.

I also like the idea of forcing pit stops so that we are all forced to do pit stops more as pit stops are a great part of Endurance racing which they wouldn't be the same without. Forcing 2 stops in 2 hours seems like a really nice bit of forced strategy to add to the race.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Nevski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 05:09:49 PM +0000 »

I've voted for the mixed class 2 hours because I really like the long races which force you to drive with an eye towards tyre wear and fuel consumption rather than just flat out at all costs. I really don't like this silly 5 minute pit stop business though, so I probably won't bother running if that is enforced.  Sad

GPLRank -60 GTR2 Lister rank -55

http://teamoldieracing.blogspot.com/
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 05:22:59 PM +0000 »

If you do 2 hours and no mandatory stops no one will take the Lambo or Mosler or BMW or some of the other thirsty cars as they will have a 1 minute penalty from having to take an extra stop. The race will be about taking cars that only need one stop and will just reduce the number of cars people will take.

I also like the idea of forcing pit stops so that we are all forced to do pit stops more as pit stops are a great part of Endurance racing which they wouldn't be the same without. Forcing 2 stops in 2 hours seems like a really nice bit of forced strategy to add to the race.

Talking about the Lambo is un poisson rouge because there are no GT1 cars which can do 2 hours without stopping. The Lambo will always have a fuel consumption disadvantage and forcing an extra stop won't make any difference to that.

In GT2, if the BMW can't do an hour without stopping that's because it's totally out of place in the class anyway. I'll wager nobody has bothered trying to set it up for a long endurance run with low wing and longer gears and frankly is't so much heavier than the other GT2 cars (regardless of ballast) that it can't expect to be competetive in anything longer than a sprint race.

Don't know about the Mosler, but it's been used so little I don't know if anyone has any genuine data on it when setup up for endurance racing.

Zacari

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 05:31:22 PM +0000 »

Talking about the Lambo is un poisson rouge because there are no GT1 cars which can do 2 hours without stopping. The Lambo will always have a fuel consumption disadvantage and forcing an extra stop won't make any difference to that.

No cars can go 120 minutes without stopping.  Some GT cars might be able to only have 1 stop though (C5R, Lister?, I went several races in Endurance S1 when the races were 60 minutes long without stopping).  Depends if that's a problem or not.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 05:53:50 PM +0000 by Zacari » Logged

On GTRank, GTR2Rank and GTLRank as 'Zacari'
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 05:42:24 PM +0000 »

Lister can do 60 minutes on one tank of fuel, well it certainly could in GTR1 so it would only need 1 stop giving it a big advantage.

In GT2, if the BMW can't do an hour without stopping that's because it's totally out of place in the class anyway. I'll wager nobody has bothered trying to set it up for a long endurance run with low wing and longer gears and frankly is't so much heavier than the other GT2 cars (regardless of ballast) that it can't expect to be competetive in anything longer than a sprint race.

I raced the Endurance stuff last season in BMW and yes I agree it's a bit out of it's class being in GT2 (hence the big weight penalty), but not that out of class. It can do 60 minutes on one tank so I guess it's not that big a problem in GT2 like it is in GT where some of the cars can do 60 minutes and some even on full lean can not and some can at a stretch do it especially if the new classes me that M3 is lighter and therefore slightly better on fuel.

Don't know about the Mosler, but it's been used so little I don't know if anyone has any genuine data on it when setup up for endurance racing.

I raced the Mosler in GTR1 in Endurance and the fuel consumption is no different in GTR2. It's as bad and probably worse than the M3. Again probably could do 60 minutes on one tank, so probably not a big problem compared to the GT cars and again if it's moved to a different class for next season probably not an issue. The issue is really in the GT class.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 06:52:13 PM +0000 »

I don't think the C5R will do 60 minutes on one tank, at least not on the basis of the testing I've done so far, without some serious attention to gear ratios and/or lower wing settings. Even with weight removed I get the impression that the Lister is significantly slower than the faster GT1 cars, is that correct?

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 07:03:42 PM +0000 »

The Viper I think has low fuel consumption too doesn't it?

I wouldn't say any GT car is significantly slower than another, not as much as the NGTs. Yes the Lister and Viper are probably the slowest clearly, but give them to an alien and they'll be at the front and have one less stop.

Perhaps some of the aliens could comment on the relative speed in their hands?

Of course we haven't mentioned the tyre factor which might force an extra pit stop itself in 2 hours, but it depends on the driver is on tyres, driving styles have significant effect on wear.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:47:17 PM +0000 by Simon 'Shark' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
JonM_uk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 07:38:53 PM +0000 »

Don't think I'm gonna make this now Sad Have a good un boys Wink

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 07:54:29 PM +0000 »

Don't think I'm gonna make this now Sad Have a good un boys Wink

Whole seaosn 5? Shocked
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 07:45:56 PM +0000 »

That's a clear thumbs up for mixed class endurance racing. Cool

Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 03:05:49 PM +0000 »

Real life FIA GT drivers must not exceed 275 km distance in the car (team must change drivers before finishing 275th kilometer). Perhaps that could be trigger for 5 mins mandatory stops?

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com