by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

March 28, 2024, 09:07:43 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L22WTCC Monza: January 26, 2022
January 26, 2022, 08:41:51 PM +0000 - Monza (1976-93) - UKGTL Season 22 1987 World Touring Car Champ.
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Ziu Bacubacu

Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 (#88017) GTC-TC-76 1 1:57.982
110.331mph
1 53:26.387
105.553mph
26 1:58.416
109.927mph
Pirelli  
Daz9

Alfa Romeo 75 (#87079) GTC-TC-76 4 +2.826
107.750mph
2 +26.125
104.700mph
26 2:00.899
107.669mph
Pirelli  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 (#88021) GTC-TC-76 2 +0.747
109.637mph
3 +30.787
104.549mph
26 1:59.186
109.217mph
Pirelli  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Alfa Romeo 75 (#87079) GTC-TC-76 5 +3.964
106.745mph
4 +1:18.160
103.041mph
26 2:02.709
106.081mph
Pirelli  
seniordan
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Alfa Romeo 75 (#87079) GTC-TC-76 7 +4.675
106.126mph
5 +1:27.186
102.759mph
26 2:02.470
106.288mph
Pirelli  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Alfa Romeo 75 (#87079) GTC-TC-76 10 +6.066
104.936mph
6 +1:55.428
101.885mph
26 2:04.048
104.936mph
Pirelli  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 (#88026) GTC-TC-76 6 +4.114
106.614mph
7 +1L
101.223mph
25 2:02.012
106.687mph
Pirelli  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
Alfa Romeo 75 (#87076) GTC-TC-76 9 +5.865
105.106mph
8 +15.595
100.735mph
25 2:04.111
104.883mph
Pirelli  
Pawel S.

BMW M3 E30 (#87059) GTC-TC-76 8 +5.065
105.790mph
9 +55.819
99.496mph
25 2:02.970
105.856mph
Pirelli  
Robby82

Toyota Corolla Levin GT (#87077) GTC-TC-76 11 +28.662
88.767mph
10 +6L
80.134mph
20 2:28.390
87.722mph
Dunlop  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
BMW M3 E30 (#87048) GTC-TC-76 3 +2.113
108.390mph
11 20 2:00.495
108.030mph
unknown
Pirelli  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 22 1987 World Touring Car Champ. - Monza - Jan 26  (Read 1052 times)
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 10:09:29 PM +0000 »

M3 seemed to have the edge, I was struggling to stay with Erling who was right on it tonight. I nearly finished a lap in quali with very low fuel that would have been close to him, but in the race I had no real answer other than the strategy....
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 10:13:50 PM +0000 »

Results and replay now posted.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 10:14:43 PM +0000 »

Bugger, was having a good race, when the power started dropping out, finally causing the PC to shut down.  Hope my presumably frozen car didn't cause problems for Geoff or others.

Pawel, you were not the only BMW  Wink  My best laptime in the Beemer is 2 secs faster than my best Alfa time, but then I didn't test much in the Alfa, so it could prob. be improved a little.
Robby82

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 10:57:01 PM +0000 »

I feel like the tortoise that won because the hare failed to show for the race. Things went according to the plan that I hoped would work out. I figured that most would not pick the lowly Corolla and as it turned out I was right. So, as I am a puzzle wrapped in an enigma anyway, as it were. How can one finish last and win? That's how. So I am now glowing. Thanks, guys, without you I couldn't have done it.
So as Tony says,
Cheers!
Pawel S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 02:48:39 AM +0000 »

Pawel, you were not the only BMW  Wink
Ah, I only had time to look at the cars on the final results in game. But indeed it seems that the BMW has a bit of an edge over Alfa, and I had 2,5s to spare  Roll Eyes I also had very cold tyres as I drove default setup, gotta check this next time.
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 09:21:32 AM +0000 »

Bit disappointed with my performance but I was not on the pace of Ziu so 2nd in class was where I should have finished anyway.

Basically it was a bit of an error strewn race on my part. After a good start (not as good as Erling) I slightly overshot the 2nd chicane which let Ziu pass then had a big oversteery moment at the Parabolica & clouted the barrier losing a load of places. Regained some spots only to do the opposite at the same corner a few laps later & understeer off the track. The damage at the front did not really affect the car although I did get the sense that it would not turn into corners as well as it did.

Worked back up to 3rd by the time of my pitstop & came in at the same time as Erling. Then had a panic moment as I realised that my refuel calculation was wrong. I had forgotten that GTL shows the amount of fuel you will leave the pits with & I had calculated the amount I needed to put in (as in RRE) so had to do a quick calculation of how many laps were left & fill up for that. Anyway it worked out OK, just! Roll Eyes 

Rejoined around 5s behind Erling & started to chase him down. After several laps I had got to around a second behind when his car suddenly froze around the Curva Grande & being that close there was no avoiding it, so I ended up in the barriers once more. Luckily the car survived the big impact & was no worse to drive than before. Leader Daz pitted near the end & with his short stop I was still behind him & winner Ziu at the finish.

Congrats to Ziu & Daz & also to Robby winning the small class.  clap clap clap
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 10:26:42 AM +0000 »

... when his car suddenly froze around the Curva Grande & being that close there was no avoiding it, so I ended up in the barriers once more.

Sorry about that Geoff.  My problems didn't start until the race was under way, so I had no forewarning.  Light started flickering intermittently, and then suddenly the dip was long enough for the PC to shut down.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 11:27:33 AM +0000 »

Pawel, you were not the only BMW  Wink
Ah, I only had time to look at the cars on the final results in game. But indeed it seems that the BMW has a bit of an edge over Alfa, and I had 2,5s to spare  Roll Eyes I also had very cold tyres as I drove default setup, gotta check this next time.
It does depend on which rev limit setting is used with the BMW (the Alfa only has a fixed rev limit). But raising the rev limit on the BMW, from the lowest value, has a detrimental effect on fuel consumption.

Also compare Erling's and Daz's best times. Not much in it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:29:17 AM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 11:36:10 AM +0000 »

Grats to the podium and to all the class winners........great choice Robby ( I almost went that route myself lol )

Also having had a quick squint at the replay through the fingers of my hand, I owe Robby a big apology. I thought that when I lapped him he had simply clipped the kerb and spun. But it was my fault  hang I clipped the rear of his Corolla and he ended up inverted after I was past him and focusing on the entry to Lesmo 1.  Undecided

This year I have decided to try and put in some track time BEFORE each race in an attempt to gain some consistency ( and hopefully some pace!). I did a few short sessions on the server with the cars and found that the hierarchy was much as others found.
In my hands the Cosworth was fastest but required a great deal of concentration to exploit the potential, with the BMW a couple of seconds behind. Then the Alfa, which was slower but with a longer range on a full tank and, in my uncultured hands, not as nimble as the BMW. The Corolla was a pussy cat to drive and just outpaced for top speed around Monza.
After deciding that Robby was entitled to a class win after all of his efforts lately ( I'm really kind like that sometimes. honest I am ). I had decided that I needed some more time with the Cossie before I used it in anger. So was it to be the fast BMW, or the long range Alfa?
In my hands the Alfa was approx 2 secs a lap slower than the BMW, but I would get to lap 20 ( possibly 21 ) before I needed refuelling. If I could protect the tyres I might get away with a 6 lap splash and dash with no change of tyres?? That decision would be made in the few laps before the pitstop.

Dan appeared determined to scupper my plan by harassing me from the very start and forcing me to drive hard to hold my position. By the time he had dropped back a little , the damage was done and my tyres looked finished as early as lap 16!!! But, the fuel was looking good and I was borderline getting to lap 21. Dan pitted much earlier than I expected so I was left alone to push on.
In the 2 laps before my stop, my front left tyre was showing as a mere "hint of red" on HUD, but interestingly the car was only around 1.5 secs slower per lap.
I suspect that Dan had issues with his pit crew as he was a long way behind as I entered pit lane. I missed my pit box and overshot by 10 mtrs, but reversed onto the foot of my Crew manager to get his attention. I opted to run on the steel rims for the last 6 laps and just grab 8 galls of gas, hoping to exit the pits with a healthy lead over Dan.
I had around 15 secs once up to speed ( it might have been 20 if I had been more careful with my stop!??) So for the final 6 laps I simply had to stop Dan taking more than 2 secs per lap out of my lead. That bit went well, but with 3 laps to go I realised that my fuel calculations were a little too precise and I had to short shift and coast to cross the line with 0.2 galls still in the tank  sweatdrop. Plus the front left tyre no longer existed!!

Thanks for all the fun guys

I have posted my setup online if Dan is reckless enough to try it as Evil Alfa 75 in the Monza folder

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 11:47:20 AM +0000 »

It does depend on which rev limit setting is used with the BMW (the Alfa only has a fixed rev limit). But raising the rev limit on the BMW, from the lowest value, has a detrimental effect on fuel consumption.

Also compare Erling's and Daz's best times. Not much in it.

But then you're comparing apples to oranges - we're not really in the same class..  (driver wise - I know the cars were)   Wink

And yes, I had upped the rev limit on the Beemer, but was short shifting in the race, to save fuel. It mostly served to prevent me running out of revs at the end of the pit straight. I had tested with a full stint before the race, where I took it to the limit at every shift. At the end of lap 13, I had 0.2 laps worth of fuel left, but didn't dare risk cutting it that close in the race, so short shifting in most cases it was.

Loved the car btw; def. my favorite of the bunch.
SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 02:55:52 PM +0000 »

Result

Cool

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 03:44:47 PM +0000 »

Thanks Kurt  thumbup1

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 03:46:15 PM +0000 »

Loved the car btw; def. my favorite of the bunch.
Yes, the BMW is a lovely car to drive. The Alfa is a bit "clunky".

Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 05:05:29 PM +0000 »

Nice to have a couple of new cars to have a go in, thank you Tony.

I found the brakes on the Alfa to be the weak spot, far too much locking up for me to feel truly comfortable with the car, and no ability to adjust the power below 90% to attempt some kind of compensation. It steered and generally handled OK, but I was forced into running a more open diff setting than I would have preferred due to the braking issues, leading to a lack of drive when kerb hopping. They caused me continual issues pretty much throughout the race.....The sounds are also a bit strange to be honest, which never helps my sense of immersion....

Quali time was set on race fuel, I was on for a lower 2.00 but ran out of time on a low fuel run, made a hash of the first of those laps as it was the only time I had run with low fuel in the car and it seemed to make the braking even more snatchy.

Watching Erling get the start of the century and blast away from the 2 Cossies, whereas I bogged the engine just a tiny little bit and couldn't find my way through the middle of the two of them. Erling then had a fantastic first lap to stay in front, I settled into 4th.....that became 3rd when Geoff went into the barrier at Parabolica. Didn't see any way to stay with the race pace of the Cosworth, was just trying to find enough pace to keep Erling honest, so let Geoff back through after, hoping he would go and pester the BMW that was just a little too quick for me to stay with. I could see the potential though, as on the odd lap Erling put a quicker one in to pull the gap just a little wider, I was just hanging on and hoping the longer stint would work for me.

Like Clive said, 20 laps seemed the right range. And, I can confirm the loss of proper grip at around lap 16-17, although mine were not as low as Clives on XD. The car was just not as responsive, understeer into and through the Lesmos was now ever present. But, in this period I was able to match the laptime Erling was doing, and the gap to him when I was on the laps to pit was now around 62 seconds, so it was looking like things might be possible for 2nd place....

And then I pitted, parked, the pit guys did nothing other than shrug at me, so I went back and forth and eventually coerced them into action! Probably cost 10-15 seconds at a guess....But it was now Geoff that was the problem, as Erling had disconnected. I left the pits with a gap to the Cossie of around 13 seconds, with 6 laps to run. Now, at the earlier pace Geoff may have been able to run at I reckon he catches and passes me, but I was wondering how much pace he had left in the car following the hit into the barrier, and as it turned out he didn't quite have the pace to catch me, leaving me to take a lucky 2nd position that was probably not wholly justified....

Grats to all.
Robby82

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 06:51:01 PM +0000 »

"Also having had a quick squint at the replay through the fingers of my hand, I owe Robby a big apology. I thought that when I lapped him he had simply clipped the kerb and spun. But it was my fault  hang I clipped the rear of his Corolla and he ended up inverted after I was past him and focusing on the entry to Lesmo 1."

It turned out to be no problem. I was surprised and went "oh, sh*t, I am not going to finish," but having straightened out I discovered there was no suspension damage. Furthermore, I had planned to stop about that lap to get a splash and go without taking tires and I repaired the 5.6 damage from the flip. I then had enough gas(petrol) to finish with. There was no need for tires because I just wasn't using them up at the speeds and way I was driving, as my goal has been to finish races. I have too many DNF's.
As I said, the flip ended up being no problem. I do appreciate the apology though.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com