Read this first!    

April 29, 2024, 03:39:00 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi Guys, I am new!  (Read 3870 times)
als3

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:18:33 PM +0000 »

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!!

Basically for a few weeks now ive been intersted in getting a good racing game for online, and after spending a bit of time today, it seems that GTR2 is one of the most popular.

I have never played racing games on the computer (well not for years, and never with a steering wheel)

Are they pretty realistic?

I can see there are leagues etc, i suppose you have to practice alot to get into these?

Is there 'driving skill' or is it 'computer skill' that makes you good at these games?

I guess i will buy a steering wheel, the G25 looks like the best one, is it worth it for the money?

Please give me any advise/comments!!

Cheers

al
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 05:34:52 PM +0000 »

Hi Al- I think you're on the right track with your points- the G25 is a fantastic wheel, or if you need to budget then pick up a Driving Force Pro (for the playstation but fine with XP). Driving games are very realistic these days, given the limitations of a computer monitor and an office chair you'll be surprised how good they are I bet. Most will allow you to vary the difficulty (via driver aids) and that will let you go from "console" to  "scared" levels of difficulty. SRUK always race with zero aids, aside from auto-clutch, so it's pretty much as close to realism as you're going to get. You'll certainly need to practice but, if you're that way inclined, that is half the fun. There is a certain (perverse) pleasure in hotlapping offline, trying to refine every corner and carry every mph of exit speed out of the corners and I suppose that is the approach most of us have taken to varying degrees, work/life permitting of course!

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
als3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:15:16 PM +0000 »

Thanks for the reply.

I guess i'll try and pick up a wheel and the game this weekend, i don't suppose you know where to buy them from?

I have only been able to find items which have to be delivered, and would rather drive and pick up over this weekend!!

Impatience i know!!
PaulW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:52:40 PM +0000 »

Sorry fella, I missed your post this weekend. The trouble with driving places is that mostly you'll just find the lower end wheels (which I bought myself initially) and develop horrible levels of play after a few months. I'd pick up the game locally and then order a proper wheel online- you can always fiddle with the graphics and have a laugh driving with the keyboard until it arrives!

Give a man a fish- he'll eat for a day. But give him a fishing rod and... he'll break it up for firewood, or just possibly, swap it for a fish.
als3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 07:38:18 PM +0000 »

I have now recieved the game, and get the wheel tommorow!

I have installed the game, and had a very quick drive with a keyboard.

I also created a multiplayer account just to make sure the serial code worked etc as im always paranoid about things like that!

Anyway, is there anything else i should/could be doing now, before i get the wheel?

I also downloaded the 1.1 version.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:55:07 PM +0000 »

Did you upgrade to 1.1?  Smiley
You might want to download and install all the necessary UKGTR files, like skin/ballast pack, UKGTR track versions, etc. You can find them on downloads page: https://www.simracing.org.uk/index.php?pid=27

When you do try to connect to UKGTR server to se if you get any errors. It might happen that you get booted for cheating. This is normal - kind of - a lot of us get this message. Gurus will tell you it's due to fuzzy Simbin code or some such.  Grin  but I just reconnect and it's usualy ok then.  Have fun.  Smiley

TT
als3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:36:30 PM +0000 »

Did you upgrade to 1.1?  Smiley
You might want to download and install all the necessary UKGTR files, like skin/ballast pack, UKGTR track versions, etc. You can find them on downloads page: https://www.simracing.org.uk/index.php?pid=27

When you do try to connect to UKGTR server to se if you get any errors. It might happen that you get booted for cheating. This is normal - kind of - a lot of us get this message. Gurus will tell you it's due to fuzzy Simbin code or some such.  Grin  but I just reconnect and it's usualy ok then.  Have fun.  Smiley

TT

Right, i downloaded everything on that page, both .exe i have installed, where do i extract the other files too?

And also, how do i join a ukgtr server!
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 10:20:16 PM +0000 »

If the file is not self-executive then its usualy zipped. Unzip it and it's mostly a GameData directory. Just write it over the old one, replacing files with the same names.  Smiley

You join UKGTR server through the lobby, like any public server. When prompted just insert the password.  Smiley

TT
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:31:38 PM +0000 »

Hi Al, you might also want to head over to this site for tons of information on GTR2. Just ignore some of the 'kiddy rants' that are on some of the posts. There is a lot of good stuff there too  Cool

http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1096

another good site for loads of GTr Mods and goodies

http://www.nogripracing.com/files.php

oh and watch out for some guy hanging around your garage in a cheap suit...that'll be the Team Shark recruiting officer  Wink  Grin

Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 10:33:26 PM +0000 »

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

TT
linco24

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 09:18:06 AM +0000 »

Yeah I wondered why he is no longer at mine and hangs around in other paddocks...... Grin
Adam Parle
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 09:32:28 AM +0000 »

The sight of DG "warming up" on the dance-mat pre-race would put me off standing by the Shark pit-boxes too!
als3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 05:41:17 PM +0000 »

Right guys, i have the wheel, and im just working through the training.

Is there any specifc wheel settings that would be better changing now, rather than later?
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 06:24:15 PM +0000 »

Right guys, i have the wheel, and im just working through the training.

Is there any specifc wheel settings that would be better changing now, rather than later?

speed sensitive steering 0%!
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 06:48:09 PM +0000 »

you may want to dabble with the force feedback settings until you find what your comfortable with.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com