Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 12:58:08 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: GTR 2 Graphics Settings Guide  (Read 71459 times)
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:44:43 PM +0100 »

<TO BE COMPLETED>

Each section is ordered in order of FPS gain (most gain at top).

Graphics Options
Headlight Effects: Low - Headlights light up track only, Medium - Headlight light up track and other cars (Very powerful CPU and Graphics Card required), High - Same as medium with a tiny bit more oomph (Don't use EVER as you can't tell the difference from medium setting and it hurts FPS).
Shadows: Off - No shadows (Only set off if you have a terrible graphics card as cars look very odd without shadows), Low - Render car shadows only (Use on low end graphics cards), Medium - Render car shadows, building shadows High - Render car shadows, building shadows, bridge shadows, Full - Render car shadows, building shadows, bridge shadows and cast shadows onto cars from track objects too (only enable this on VERY high end graphics cards). Shadows are quite an FPS killer.
Pit Crew: None - No pitcrew displayed in pits (Use this option on low end graphics cards), Player Only - Only shows player's pit crew (Enable this on medium graphics cards), Full - Shows every pit garage's pit crew (Only enable this on VERY high end graphics cards as this is quite a FPS killer down the pit straight).
Trackside Characters: Enables people / marshalls etc standing at side of track. Disable this unless you have a very good graphics card as they are not noticable particularly anyway.
Special Effects: Off - , Low -, Medium - , High -, Full -
Reflection Effects: Low -, Medium - , High -, Full -
Track Draw Distance: Near, Normal, Far, Very Far - To be honest go for Near unless you have a high end graphics card. Near isn't actually that Near and it's hard to tell anything above Normal even on a high end graphics card.
Track Detail: This governs the number of buildings and trackside objects that get loaded and drawn. The fewer buildings to draw the greater your FPS, but this has limited effectiveness on anything but lower end systems. Some tracks are more detailed than others.
Other Vehicle Detail: This governs the details rendered on the other cars (i.e. not the car you are driving). These details are things like whether you see flat wheels (low setting), or alloy with brake disc and caliper etc (full setting). The less detail being drawn the greater your FPS, but this has limited effectiveness on anything but low end systems.
Max Visible Vehicles: 1 -> 104 - Determines the number vehicles that will be drawn at once. This can greatly increase your FPS, but it is dangerous to use because the algorithms that work out which vehicles to draw or not can be a bit hit and miss particularly online. It is recommended this is set to at least the number of cars in the race so you can see all the cars.
Player Vehicle Detail: This governs the details rendered on the the car you are driving. These details are things like whether you see flat wheels (low setting), or alloy with brake disc and caliper etc (full setting). The less detail being drawn the greater your FPS, but this has limited effectiveness on anything but low end systems, especially as this only governs one car on the track and unless you drive using an external camera you will not see any of the detail.
Shadow Quality: Medium - , High -
Pitboard:

Advanced Options
Race Data Acquisition: Logs MOTEC data to the hard drive whilst driving. This is quite a resource hog, turn it off for everything but time trials.
High Detail Wheels: Uses High Resolution Wheels. Only enable if you have at least 128Mb+ Video Card. Wheels are hard to see in detail in motion so not hugely important. I would not bother with these without 256Mb+ Video Card to save on texture space. Switching to Low Detail Wheels will not make any difference to frame rate on a modern 256Mb+ Video Card.
Level Of Detail Bias: 75% -> 125% - Distance at which the game switches from high detail textures to low detail textures. The lower the value (75% is lowest) the nearer to your car the detail will be poorer. The higher the value the game renders high quality further into the distance. In motion and in racing situations most people probably won't notice this being set to 75% and you don't really need to go above 100% unless you are running VERY high resolution (1920x1200). Reducing the value will improve frame rates marginally, more so on low end graphics cards.
Low Resolution Track Textures: Enables Low Resolution Track Textures. Low resolution track textures do look much worse than high resolution. Only select Low Track Textures if you have less than a 128Mb Video Card. Switching to Low Resolution Track Textures will not make any difference to frame rate on a modern 256Mb+ Video Card.
High Resolution Car Livery: Enables High Resolution Car Skins. These do look a lot better than the standard resolution car skins. Only enable if you have 128Mb+ Video Card. Switching to Low Resolution Car Liveries will not make any difference to frame rate on a modern 256Mb+ Video Card.
High Resolution Cockpit: Enabled High Resolution Cockpits. Only necessary for using cockpit view. These do look at lot better than the standard resolution cockpits. Only enable if you have 128Mb+ Video Card AND you race in cockpit view.
Vertex Damage: TBC
Simple Debris Collisions: Disable this to save a lot of CPU during collisions. Recommed this is always enabled as it will prevent stuttering during a race when anyone else anywhere else on the track has an accident, even on the hardiest of CPUs.
Visible Windscreen: Enables the windscreen to be seen in cockpit view. Looks very odd to disable if racing cockpit view.
Visible Steering Wheel: Enables viewing the steering wheel in cockpit.
Visible MOTEC ADL: Enables the MOTEC overlay in bonnet cam.

.PLR File Extras
The following hacks can be done to get improved FPS...
Disable All Character Anims="0" - Set to "1"
Driver Animations="1" - Set to "0"
Track Animations="1" - Set to "0"
Windscreen dirt buildup="1" - Set to "0"
Swaying Trees="0" - Set to "0"
Arms Visible In Cockpit="1" - Set to "0"

Recommended Options - Ultra Low End Graphics Card, ?
Graphics Options: Player Vehicle Detail: Medium, Other Vehicle Detail: Low, Max Visible Vehicles: 10, Special Effects: Low, Headlight Effects: Off, Reflection Effects: Low, Shadows: Low, Shadow Quality: Medium, Track Detail: Medium, Track Draw Distance: Near, Pit Crew: Off, Trackside Characters: Disabled, Pitboard: Disabled.
Advanced Options: Visible Windscreen: Enabled, Visible Steering Wheel: Disabled, Visible MOTEC ADL: Enabled, High Detail Wheels: Disabled, Vertex Damage: Disabled, Simple Debris Collisions: Enabled, Low Resolution Track Textures: Enabled, Race Data Acquisition: Disabled, High Resolution Car Livery: Disabled, High Resolution Cockpit: Disabled, Level Of Detail Bias: 75%

Recommended Options - Low End Graphics Card, ATI 800XL
Graphics Options: Player Vehicle Detail: High, Other Vehicle Detail: Medium, Max Visible Vehicles: 15, Special Effects: Medium, Headlight Effects: Low, Reflection Effects: Medium, Shadows: Low, Shadow Quality: Medium, Track Detail: High, Track Draw Distance: Near, Pit Crew: Off, Trackside Characters: Disabled, Pitboard: Enabled.
Advanced Options: Visible Windscreen: Enabled, Visible Steering Wheel: Disabled, Visible MOTEC ADL: Enabled, High Detail Wheels: Enabled, Vertex Damage: Disabled, Simple Debris Collisions: Enabled, Low Resolution Track Textures: Disabled, Race Data Acquisition: Disabled, High Resolution Car Livery: Enabled, High Resolution Cockpit: Disabled, Level Of Detail Bias: 75%

Recommended Options - Medium Range Graphics Card, ATI 1900XT
Graphics Options: Player Vehicle Detail: Full, Other Vehicle Detail: High, Max Visible Vehicles: 104, Special Effects: Medium, Headlight Effects: Low, Reflection Effects: Medium, Shadows: Medium, Shadow Quality: Medium, Track Detail: Full, Track Draw Distance: Near, Pit Crew: Player Only, Trackside Characters: Disabled, Pitboard: Enabled.
Advanced Options: Visible Windscreen: Enabled, Visible Steering Wheel: Enabled, Visible MOTEC ADL: Enabled, High Detail Wheels: Enabled, Vertex Damage: Enabled, Simple Debris Collisions: Enabled, Low Resolution Track Textures: Disabled, Race Data Acquisition: Disabled, High Resolution Car Livery: Enabled, High Resolution Cockpit: Enabled, Level Of Detail Bias: 85%

Recommended Options - High End Graphics Card, e.g. GeForce 8800GTS
Graphics Options: Player Vehicle Detail: Full, Other Vehicle Detail: Full, Max Visible Vehicles: 104, Special Effects: High, Headlight Effects: Low, Reflection Effects: High, Shadows: High, Shadow Quality: Medium, Track Detail: Full, Track Draw Distance: Normal, Pit Crew: Player Only, Trackside Characters: Enabled, Pitboard: Enabled.
Advanced Options: Visible Windscreen: Enabled, Visible Steering Wheel: Enabled, Visible MOTEC ADL: Enabled, High Detail Wheels: Enabled, Vertex Damage: Enabled, Simple Debris Collisions: Enabled, Low Resolution Track Textures: Disabled, Race Data Acquisition: Disabled, High Resolution Car Livery: Enabled, High Resolution Cockpit: Enabled, Level Of Detail Bias: 100%

Recommended Options - Ultra Graphics Card, e.g. GeForce 8800GTX
Graphics Options: Player Vehicle Detail: Full, Other Vehicle Detail: Full, Max Visible Vehicles: 104, Special Effects: Full, Headlight Effects: Medium, Reflection Effects: Medium, Shadows: Full, Shadow Quality: Medium, Track Detail: Full, Track Draw Distance: Normal, Pit Crew: Full, Trackside Characters: Enabled, Pitboard: Enabled.
Advanced Options: Visible Windscreen: Enabled, Visible Steering Wheel: Enabled, Visible MOTEC ADL: Enabled, High Detail Wheels: Enabled, Vertex Damage: Enabled, Simple Debris Collisions: Enabled, Low Resolution Track Textures: Disabled, Race Data Acquisition: Disabled, High Resolution Car Livery: Enabled, High Resolution Cockpit: Enabled, Level Of Detail Bias: 100%
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:40:28 AM +0100 by Simon 'Shark' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
purdie
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 10:37:34 AM +0100 »

This guide is great. I've always had crap graphics cards but saved and recently got 2 x Nvidia 7800GTs 248MB (SLi) and have 2GB RAM.

The problem is I can't get away with as high settings as I thought I could. Most settings are on medium, but after reading this I'm going to experiment! I didn't know before which settings sucked the life out of the FPS !

Cheers   Wink

Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:59:17 AM +0100 »

Like he said.  Wink

TT
Adam Parle
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 12:01:49 PM +0100 »

I need to tweak a few things with some of the add-on tracks .... even with an 8800GTX, and E6600 processor and 2GB of RAM things still slow down a little with the really details courses.

Cheers for the info.
DynoDaz
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 12:21:03 PM +0100 »

I need to tweak a few things with some of the add-on tracks .... even with an 8800GTX, and E6600 processor and 2GB of RAM things still slow down a little with the really details courses.

Cheers for the info.

Really?

What AA and AF settings do you use?

Oh, nearly forgot... great guide Simon.   thumbup1
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:28:35 PM +0100 by Darren » Logged
Adam Parle
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:52:16 PM +0100 »

Really?

What AA and AF settings do you use?

Dunno - I mostly max it out in GTR2 and GTL - it's only on the really details add on courses it's noticable - I know Sharks got a similar setup and the same is true.
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 01:28:34 PM +0100 »

Dunno - I mostly max it out in GTR2 and GTL - it's only on the really details add on courses it's noticable - I know Sharks got a similar setup and the same is true.

Exactly the same setup. I use 4xAA and 16xAF, but in the rain at night with a full grid at the start it can go down to 15fps with the details I run at (not quite max). After start it's fine as there are not many cars to draw once a race is underway at night in the rain it runs at about 40fps. In the dry it runs fine even at start. During a race in the dry the lowest it ever goes is 45fps I would say, but most of the time it's over 100fps.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 01:33:23 PM +0100 by Simon 'Shark' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
DynoDaz
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 01:44:24 PM +0100 »

I have the same setup as you guys but with 4GB RAM and my CPU is overclocked to 3.2GHz.

I find I can achieve better fps by tweaking a few 3D settings via the Nvidia Control Panel.

I've also found that the latest XP Nvidia beta drivers are very good (162.15 is the latest I think).  It gave me a good boost in fps at Magny (140fps+ in the dry).  I must admit I didn't check during the endurance race, but I didn't notice any slow down thumbup1

I used to use 4xAA but I've found when racing I can get away with 2xAA.  16xAF a is must..  I run at 1920x1200 and so far I've never seen below 30fps, even in the rain and the dark..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:25:44 PM +0100 by Darren » Logged
Wilier

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 07:49:54 AM +0100 »

If its any consolation, Ive got an 8800GTX running on an Intel Core2Duo Extreme Edition with 4gb of 8500DDR2 and it still stutters in certain circumstances!!

"...please stay on the road this time...."
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:24:04 AM +0100 »

If its any consolation, Ive got an 8800GTX running on an Intel Core2Duo Extreme Edition with 4gb of 8500DDR2 and it still stutters in certain circumstances!!

Can't say I'm surprised. It uses far too much CPU and not enough graphics card to do the lighting and shadows, but I guess that might be a limitation of DX9 (not a games programmer so it's pure speculation on my part) Blimey! say their next title (Ferrari game) will be able to use the Physics Cards now available, so if you have one of those maybe at long last the CPU will be able to cope with the graphics engine. Undecided

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:23:08 AM +0100 »

Blimey! say their next title (Ferrari game) will be able to use the Physics Cards now available, so if you have one of those maybe at long last the CPU will be able to cope with the graphics engine. Undecided

Do you mean the dedicated physics cards like the PhysX?

[EDIT] Yes , you did mean that! laugh

Link to the thread at RSC;
http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=277278

Legends Racing simracing team
Rob Bywater "Kerb Crawlers"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 05:25:31 PM +0100 »

I am suffering slight stutters at Imola.

I have a Pent 4 3.2, ATI X800 (256MB) and 1024 RAM, and am only getting 20-25 fps. Now correct me if I`m wrong (and you probably will  Wink ), but I thought I should be able to run more fps with this setup. The graphic settings in-game are all at the med-low end. Huh

Any advice would be welcome (apart from, give up driving  Smiley )

Cheers

Rob
Gazza49er

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 05:49:21 PM +0100 »

I have very similar setup to you rob and i only get 30 fps and i too thought i should get better.  One thing ive found is set the game on directx 8 and this nearly doubles frame rate and still looks pretty good.

UKGTR - SEASON 9 - GTC Champion
UKGTR - SEASON 10 - GT2 Champion
UKGTR - SEASON 11 - GT1 Champion
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 07:29:03 PM +0100 »

X800 is not a great card anymore I'm afraid.
What res are you running at? I wouldn't expect to really get much more than your figures if you're running at 1280x1024 for example.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Rob Bywater "Kerb Crawlers"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 08:13:16 PM +0100 »

Thanks Gazzer, I might try that.

Shark - spot on, thats the res I`m running with. I was running 1024 x 768 with no stutter probs on my old monitor, but that died a death, and Ive bought a 19" one and suddenly problems.

Cheers

Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com