Read this first!    

April 24, 2024, 03:21:11 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: GTR 2 Graphics Settings Guide  (Read 72225 times)
Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 07:58:45 PM +0100 »

I'm running GTR2 on a PC with these specs:

Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT
1024MB DDR SDRAM
Sapphire X1600PRO 256MB 8x AGP

And for some reason I only get 8-9 FPS with other cars on track. I can get about 20when doing time-trials.
Joss

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 11:56:25 PM +0100 »

Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT
1024MB DDR SDRAM

And for some reason I only get 8-9 FPS with other cars on track. I can get about 20when doing time-trials.
That can't be right....
My old machine was a 2.8 P4, 1 gig ram and a 9800pro, and that managed 60-70fps ok in the dry...

Make sure you have the latest drivers for ur gfx card, and turn off anything that isn't needed to run GTR (anti virus, steam, etc). Run it again on medium detail - how does it run now? It should be smooth as silk, if not, something else needs checking on.....
Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 09:40:20 AM +0100 »

I'm running DirectX 9.0c as well, maybe that will be of some help.

I'll give it a try tonight with background processes off (thanks FreQ), and some new drivers.

Would some more RAM help? Or is the problem more CPU orientated?
Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 09:41:53 AM +0100 »

I'm running DirectX 9.0c as well, maybe that will be of some help.

I'll give it a try tonight with background processes off (thanks FreQ), and some new drivers.

Would some more RAM help? Or is the problem more CPU orientated?

GTR2 is very CPU heavy.
Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 11:07:34 AM +0100 »

1 gig of RAM isn't enough.

start GTR2Config.exe and set directx to level 8 (and not dx9, forget about that with that sort of CPU, directx is a library of commands, utilising both gfx and cpu)

set "other car details" to low detail and get rid of all smoke/special effects (or you'll get 1FPS when someone in front of you locks up under braking).

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 11:22:02 AM +0100 »

start GTR2Config.exe and set directx to level 8 (and not dx9, forget about that with that sort of CPU, directx is a library of commands, utilising both gfx and cpu)

set "other car details" to low detail and get rid of all smoke/special effects (or you'll get 1FPS when someone in front of you locks up under braking).

Does that mean I would have to install another version of directx? I need DirectX 9.0c for some of the other games on the PC.

I've set all of the options on the main menu to lowest, don't know if that turns off smoke though.
Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 11:23:57 AM +0100 »

Pentium 4 3.0GHz HT
1024MB DDR SDRAM

That can't be right....
My old machine was a 2.8 P4, 1 gig ram and a 9800pro, and that managed 60-70fps ok in the dry...

Make sure you have the latest drivers for ur gfx card, and turn off anything that isn't needed to run GTR (anti virus, steam, etc). Run it again on medium detail - how does it run now? It should be smooth as silk, if not, something else needs checking on.....

I've got Norton Internet Security 2007 running as well, I'll try turning that off.
Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 11:43:03 AM +0100 »

Does that mean I would have to install another version of directx? I need DirectX 9.0c for some of the other games on the PC.

I've set all of the options on the main menu to lowest, don't know if that turns off smoke though.

Changing dx means you will set your game to use directx8 commands instead of dx9c (you'll find GTR2Config.exe in your main GTR2 folder, has nothing to do with other games).

While you're in GTR2Config.exe you might also put "refresh lock" ON and disable anti-aliasing.

Also:

start the game/options/advanced:

- simple debris collision ON
- high detail wheels OFF
- high resolution car livery OFF
- high resolution cockpit OFF
- vertex damage OFF
- pitcrew detail "player only"

play around with "level of detail bias" too.

AND, very important, go to "replay" and turn it OFF (otherwise your PC has to handle doing/saving replays too, big no-no with 1Gig of RAM only, too much caching involved and resources wasted).

Use FRAPS for FPS monitoring (or the in-game command, no idea what it is though). DO NOT think watching a replay puts your PC through same stress as real driving. So drive. Tedious work, I know, but once you'll set it up just right you'll be fine. (and make sure you save your game settings to avoid future problems after a possible game reinstall or something like that)

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 12:08:06 PM +0100 »

Use FRAPS for FPS monitoring (or the in-game command, no idea what it is though).

Ctrl+F. Might be useful for someone else out there.
Madd-RIP

Power and Glory slave

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 02:42:39 PM +0100 »

Norton is another resource hog, you could try the free version of AVG, far less CPU useage, many of us use it.
Plus to get a good idea of what frame rates you'll get online, press 'CTRL + F' and the frame rate will appear in the top right corner, start an offline race with 30 cars, start from the rear of the grid and start the race.
Look at what frame rates you're getting all around the track and adjust detail levels (especially shadows, lighting and reflections) to enable a minimum of 30fps but try to get more as it will give a better experience online,
After all this you should find that online as there'll be less cars the frame rate will not drop so much and consequently be much smoother.

Hope these and the other tips given by others help!

Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 11:51:20 AM +0000 »

I'm getting about 15-22 FPS with a 28 car grid at the start at Spa. That's it, I've tried everything, I'm having a look for some settings in the .plr file that might help.

That's an offline race by the way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:53:23 AM +0000 by Tibernius » Logged
Madd-RIP

Power and Glory slave

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 07:55:17 PM +0000 »

Out of curiosity, what resolution are you running the game at?

Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 09:11:57 PM +0000 »

Out of curiosity, what resolution are you running the game at?

800x600. The fps is terrible at 1024x768.
Madd-RIP

Power and Glory slave

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 09:40:25 PM +0000 »

iirc sometimes going too low a resolution leads the game to run using more CPU useage and less GFX useage thus compounding the problem, are any other games giving you the same grief?
Just a thought, does your hard drive constantly sound like its reading/writing? if the pc is using virtual memory, it will kill your framerate dead.

Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 10:26:58 AM +0000 »

iirc sometimes going too low a resolution leads the game to run using more CPU useage and less GFX useage thus compounding the problem, are any other games giving you the same grief?
Just a thought, does your hard drive constantly sound like its reading/writing? if the pc is using virtual memory, it will kill your framerate dead.

It is using the page file almost constantly, I've set it to 2.5GB, which was recommended by one of the Oblivion settings guides.

So another GB of RAM would improve the FPS?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com