The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 12:07:42 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: AC top 15 car mods  (Read 9971 times)
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2022, 01:58:54 PM +0000 »

Worth a watch if you are looking for different mod cars to race or try out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO73XDXs_2g

@Tim might be worth a look at 9m.20 in as he thinks the 962 Grp C mod is better than the vanilla AC version.  Cool

Glickenhaus looks sweet too  Cool

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 02:50:33 PM +0000 »

The only cars in that video that we can safely run (I.e. be sure aren't stolen) are basically the payware mods from IER, RSS, and VRC. Or they're too modern to interest me/our drivers.
The RSS GT mod and the GT-N's I used a while back for a fun race would be awesome in a series - but people won't pay £2 for a high level mod track, so asking them to spend a fiver on some epic cars will never happen Sad

A 20+ car grid of real drivers in the VRC TA2's is wet dream material (The fact that mod is missing undermines the vid IMO Grin )
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 03:04:30 PM +0000 »

who makes the 962 mod then? Wouldnt mind trying it out if he thinks its better than the AC version.

And yes, those GT-N's are high quality. Realise most of the rest were moderns, but that does float some boats here too for some.

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 03:49:56 PM +0000 »

Someone called LTK - googling them only brings up download links too, so no-way I'm using them here, even if they are that good.

Nothing at all wrong with the Kunos version anyway, at least until Belloff/Bell join us and tell us they're nothing like Cheesy

The Caterhams are a possible though - if only because we've already run them in the past and they were awesome.
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 05:01:36 PM +0000 »

I've tried most mods worth trying and many that weren't. Basically anything by RSS, IER, VRC and URD are top notch and in some cases more advanced than the original Kunos content. Regarding the 962, I tried it after watching the same YT video a few days ago and concluded it wasn't for me.

Others including Bazza's mods fall into the category of well done if you're prepared to take a further step back from reality (as far as anything sim can be reality) and treat them as just very good fun, which I have no problem with doing.

Then there are the vast majority out there, probably accounting for around 71.3% of mods which are just varying states of garbage  Wink

My advice: try any that take your fancy, run a virus check on anything you download and bin anything that doesn't make you smile.

Over the last couple of years I've bought most of the content from the reputable makers only to discover that much of it is freely available if you care to take a look around for it. Sad really, but that's just the way things are these days.

As Tim says, trying to run series here using quality paymods is an uphill struggle which is a big pity imo.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
MaxVeloce
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 05:22:25 PM +0000 »

I'm going to say that in general I prefer to race the Kunos cars, because most mod cars I have tried fall into 3 categories

1. Stupidly hard to drive at the limit (because the harder it is the more realistic, right) 

2. just plain broken physics (looking at the people who make car sets with every car the same chassis settings, etc)

3. they went full gran turismo and made it too easy to drive so they(people with lower ability) can feel good about themselves being pretend race drivers

There are some exceptions,  but then as already said we run into the "I'm not paying less than a pint of beer" to drive this really good mod car because someone might actually make a profit out of their hard work and that's not allowed crowd   (and if you read this and don't buy because you genuinely cant afford, I'm sorry life is so shitty, maybe some kind person would be happy to help the odd person out, that's not a crime or anything to be ashamed of Wink )

Also downloading 5000 mods to my game is a pita  Tongue

But I'll still race mods if its recommended by someone I can trust  Smiley

Kunos 962 is schweeet, got to love that turbo kick traction loss

/ramble
Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 11:43:26 AM +0000 »

I'm with you on that Max, these mod guys put tons of hours into making these great car sets, so throwing them a few quid for their hard work seems fair enough, especially when its cheaper than a pint !

I wish someone like RSS would grab the Bazza sets of historic cars and put them to rights physics wise. Though will say despite some questionable characteristics amongst them, must say we still had a great time racing those historic cars over several well populated grids at SRO for a year or so. I miss those big grid historics races. Cry

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 12:07:12 PM +0000 »

Sod the Physics - I threw my dummy out over the fuel consumption! Cheesy
Slightly arcady physics can be forgiven if believable-ish and enough fun, but fuel consumption is simple(ish) maths!

6.3l V8 drinking a quarter as much as a Hillman Imp..... Roll Eyes
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 12:57:28 PM +0000 »

Slightly arcady physics can be forgiven if believable-ish and enough fun, but fuel consumption is simple(ish) maths!

I'm currently racing Bazza's TCL mod at THR. They've applied some BoP to some cars and divided them into 2 groups and fixed the fuel consumption in the Imp. They're also running Pezzio's Mini and the Kunos Alfa GTA (which is what I'm driving). I've only raced one Saturday "practice" event at Goodwood so far but it was one of the most enjoyable races I've had..... blasting past minis on the "straights" only to be caught and re-passed in the twisty bits  Cheesy Next "practice" race is tomorrow at Battenbergring.

https://thracing.de/60s-touring-car-legends-championship/

Mark J
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 01:58:01 PM +0000 »

guess that was their idea of BoP'ing the car set, but yes sucks big time and is a passion killer for me as prefer the cars historically correct. Dont mind a bit of equalisation to keep the grid varied and fun but yes huge power should come at a cost fuel wise, and that would have been part of the fun/strategy as you could blast off in the distance but need a fuel stop v trundling but economic Imp  Tongue

@GT thanks for the link but i already race sunday night and would be executed by the wife if i started doing sat night as well  Cheesy  i was kinda hoping she would get bored of me by now and leave me to my own devices  Grin
Plus actually, i'm more of a 60's/70's GT class racing fan.  Cool
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 02:01:19 PM +0000 by Mark J » Logged

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 02:36:53 PM +0000 »

That wasn't BoP - The Merc was about 7 seconds a lap faster at historic Zandy and could do something like 3 or 4 times the distance of the Imp Cheesy
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 06:33:51 PM +0000 »

Looks like RSS are having a sale with everything 50% off.

Watching Jimmy Broadbent racing a Viper.... seemingly in a mixed prototype/ GT field at Road Atlanta...went looking to find out the mods...Well the GT cars are by RSS, not sure about the LMPs!

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 07:27:23 PM +0000 »

Le Mans Bugatti Circuit 1967

Still a WIP and with a few minor creases to iron but it's perfectly raceable as is. This is a development of the LM '67 track we raced here earlier this year (IIRC) and has permissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6gMFMGSJfA

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 08:26:06 PM +0000 »

Looks lovely - Shame it's such a dreadful track!
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 08:07:01 PM +0000 »

Clearly not of interest to most here.... but shame its taken so long to finally see a half decent LMP2 car in AC.

https://unitedracingdesign.sellfy.store/p/ac-loire-07-2021/

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com