by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 28, 2024, 09:32:57 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L23WTCT Albert Park: April 03, 2023
April 03, 2023, 08:41:55 PM +0100 - Albert Park - UKGTL Season 23 World Touring Car Trophy
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Daz9

Toyota Supra (#88030) GTC-TC-76 1 2:06.223
93.780mph
1 58:50.288
90.532mph
27 2:06.812
93.345mph
Dunlop  
Erling G-P
 TEAM-GTLDK
BMW M3 E30 (#89035) GTC-TC-76 3 +1.584
92.618mph
2 +37.827
89.572mph
27 2:09.041
91.732mph
Pirelli  
Geoffers
 Kerb Crawlers
Mercedes 190 Evo2 (#86033) GTC-TC-76 2 +0.476
93.428mph
3 +4:43.879
83.794mph
27 2:07.343
92.955mph
Pirelli  
Wiltshire Tony
 Toyland Racing
BMW M3 E30 (#89030) GTC-TC-76 6 +7.090
88.793mph
4 +1L
86.447mph
26 2:12.031
89.655mph
Pirelli  
EvilClive
 Blue Moose Racing
Toyota Supra (#88030) GTC-TC-76 5 +6.092
89.462mph
5 +35.928
85.583mph
26 2:11.901
89.743mph
Dunlop  
phspok
 Team Pseudo Racing
Toyota Supra (#88030) GTC-TC-76 4 +5.635
89.772mph
6 +6L 21 2:12.329
89.453mph
unknown
Dunlop  
SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
GT Legends
GTC-TC-76
2:06.223
93.780mph
Daz9
Qualifying
Toyota SupraApril 03, 2023, 08:41:55 PM +0100
L23WTCT
GT Legends
GTC-TC-76
2:06.812
93.345mph
Daz9
Race
Toyota SupraApril 03, 2023, 08:41:55 PM +0100
L23WTCT
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 23 World Touring Car Trophy - Albert Park - Apr 3  (Read 1646 times)
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

"I'd rather be Sim-Racing" said Noddy

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2023, 05:16:32 PM +0000 »

Championship standings HERE

Grid/server capacity: 22

Pm WT for series download

Practice: ~19:20 (60 mins)
Qualifying: 20:20 (20 mins) Drivers must not leave qualifying to change car make
Race: 20:40 (27 laps)

Track: Albert Park, Melbourne

Car restrictions: Check your car availability here

Time of Day Setting: 14:00
Start: STANDING
Tyre wear: Normal
Fuel consumption: x2
Pit stops: Required

Server: simracing.org.uk Monday
Password: see above

Notes:
(1) It's best if all drivers can make sure they are connected before the Qualifying session as drivers on track during qualifying will not see cars that join after they are on track until they go back to the garage.
(2) Please make sure you are fully aware of the SimRacing.org.uk Rules.
(3) The AI control should be turned off so that you have control of the car at all times, including pitting. Your player file should therefore read
Autopit="0"
Force Autopit Off="1" // Forces autopit always off
No AI Control="1" // AI never has control over car
If you still finding pitting problematic, experience tells us that its less to do with positioning and more to do with approach speed. A slow approach to pit crew chief has proved most reliable.

Special Notes: None.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 09:03:28 PM +0000 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 10:06:25 PM +0100 »

Results and replay now posted.

The only UK based GTL community which races every Monday night. We are always looking for new drivers of all ages and abilities. GTL here since 2006.

Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 01:03:32 PM +0100 »

A race of two halves this time.

After a rubbish start, I seem to have mislaid any talent I had at getting the car off the line, it took a couple of laps to find a way back past Erling & then only succeeded because the Mercedes is faster than the BMW on the straights. Then spent many laps chasing Daz, some laps I got closer, some laps Daz pulled away, but it was quite fun. However on lap 16 I succumbed to a 3rd cut track & an S/G so served that & then did my routine stop the next lap. This put Erling back into 2nd place & when I got another S/G a couple of laps later any chance of recovering 2nd place went.

The remainder of the race was just tedious & when I thought that we must be nearing the end I found there were still 6 long laps left & I swear those 6 laps took longer than the first 15. On the final lap I knew everyone behind had been lapped & just to make it a bit less boring I cut several corners amassing several more penalties which explains why I was over 4mins behind at the end.

Congrats to Daz & Erling.  clap clap

I have to say that with so few drivers these long races can get boring very quickly & if it continues I can see me skipping some of these events.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 01:34:12 PM +0100 »

Grats to the podium guys, their pace was just beyond anything that I could do.

Zero practice for this, so all I had was a mental map of the circuit from watching the GP last Sunday. Well that went totally t*ts up on the first lap out of the pits when I discovered that some drongo had left random chicanes on all the fast bits !!!

So the Sierra was first off the transporter but as the expected straights were non existent, that proved a real handful and I did not have time to play with setups. Then I tried the Holden but it felt too clumsy, again no time to develop the set up. Maybe Nippon engineering would be better?

Had totally lost track of time and literally as I rejoined the server with a Supra, Quali started......so that kinds decided things  Roll Eyes

It took all of quali to find some pace in the Supra and calibrate the fuel to get me to half distance, but on the last qualifying lap it all fell together...sort of!!

The start was good and I jumped Matt who had proved himself capable of faster times in his Supra, but he was being hassled by Tony's Merc so I was safe for a lap or two. I was still trying to find the best braking/turn in/gears etc in the early laps but gradually I was clipping a few tenths off my PB.
Then the Aussie gremlins made their way in from the outback and loosened the arm that carries my H shift  Huh I ran wide after missing a downshift and Matt sailed past.
 A lap or two to adjust to the repositioned gearbox and I was able to close up on Matt, but Tony had smelled the chance of some sushi and got himself into the three way dice. There were times when i felt sure that I was going to nudge Matt into the corners but somehow our paint samples were never exchanged  Wink Eventually he ran wide and I took my chance to get past and left him and Tony to argue. That was the best period of the race for me as I set PB after PB to grow a 3-4 sec gap, but one mistake lost it all just before my pitstop.
The tyres looked just about viable for the rest of the race so I simply needed enough gas for 13 laps...simples eh? So why did I only put in enough for 6 laps??!!!!
That screwed my chances and I had to make a 2nd stop fully expecting to roll in last, but for some reason Matt DNF'd so I gained a free promotion.

Personally I like the longer races, although I still dread the pitstop demons!! It would be more fun with more cars, but it is difficult to recruit new members.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 01:36:59 PM +0100 »

Struggling to find what car to use where to be honest, so given previous experience over many years at Albert Park I took the Supra, thinking it would be a middle ground on power/weight/handling.....Did a few laps offline, and was confident of running in the 2.07s for quali, 2.08s for the race, and for a while it looked like that would be at the sharp end, right up until Geoffers released the full beans of the Merc! 2.06s were not part of the plan, but I had to respond, so took the fuel out of the car and gave it a go Grin

Got a bit caught out in the lag of the turbo off the line. Bit confused by the sounds of this car, this Supra in the UK was an straight 6, with or without turbo from memory, but the car in game sounds like a 4 pot. Did they use a different motor elsewhere in the world? My Celica GT4 ran the 3SGTE motor so was wondering if that had been installed by mistake! Anyway, it spooled and went just in time to hold Erling off, and it was a case of managing the position so that he could not get me on the brakes anywhere for the first few corners, then trying to ease away. I was very conscious of the tires, front left in particular, and even more so when Geoff then closed down quickly on me once he had got to second, forcing me to up my pace. To be fair, they held up ok, and we did many laps before his pitting began at a good pace without performance falling off really. I had seen some run wides in the mirrors so did suspect a few cuts had happened....

I just added fuel in the pitstop, left the tires on it, which was a good call given Erling would have gone past me and forced me to chase him down. Easier to be away and manage the pace I thought.

Supra was better than I expected, the setup I used was uploaded to the online folder if peeps would like it going forward. Just a case of keeping the turbo spinning to maximise the speed.

Grats to all the finishers.
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 02:59:06 PM +0100 »

Had tried all cars offline, bar the Merc I used in the first race, and found them to be very close.  Picked the BMW as it was the sweetest ride, and did improve my pb considerably during qual.  Still hopelessly outclassed by Daz & Geoff, but faster than the rest of the pack, it was shaping up to be a lonely race, and that was how it turned out.

Jumped Geoffers at the start, snatching 2nd, but of course couldn't last.  Late on L2 he moved past, and with a couple of mistakes from me on L3, the gap grew even faster than it had to. As the rest of the field was dropping back, by L5 I was pretty much all on my own.  Plan was to stop at L20, for fuel only, but by mid-race, the gaps front & back were so great, that pit strategy became irrelevant - I couldn't catch those in front by not changing tyres even if they did, and I wouldn't be caught by those behind if I did change them and they didn't.  Stuck with the original plan nonetheless. Had passed Geoffers in the pits some laps before, and as I was exiting after my stop, the pit board showed a 15-sec gap (erroneously).  Next lap the correct gap of 8 secs was shown. One lap later I believe it was 10 secs, as Geoffers was heading for the pits (unknown to me).  At that lap I missed a braking point, losing 5 secs in the gravel. Absolutely not what I needed, and I was convinced it would lose me 2nd for sure.  However, gap was now 42 secs, as Geoff had been to the pits, so the newfound exitement evaporated again.

Grats to Daz on the win, with unbeatable pace, and grats/commiserations to Geoff for 3rd.

Quite like the track - a few too many chicanes, but overall it has a nice flow.
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2023, 03:23:14 PM +0100 »

Details here of the A70 Supra Daz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Supra#Third_generation_(A70;_1986)

Appears that it used both 4cyl & 6cyl engines, although the ones they raced used the 3.0l 6cyl engine in both normally aspirated & turbo forms.

PS: It seems that all the Toyota factory built race MA70 Supras were turboed, only privately prepared ones were normally aspirated.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 03:29:40 PM +0100 by Geoffers » Logged
Daz9

Inexorable pest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 04:53:32 PM +0100 »

According to that Wiki it was either 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 litre inline 6s Geoff, although as far as I am aware for the UK market I only recall the 3.0 litre in normally aspirated and single turbo form. Used to see them all the time, rare now. Nice car, but the Celica was nicer  Grin

Always liked Albert Park, and done many races here, so was all very familiar for me. Some of the other circuits I don't know at all given I stopped watching F1 some time back to avoid the Merc/Louise Hamilton domination...
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2023, 05:24:29 PM +0100 »

According to that Wiki it was either 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 litre inline 6s Geoff, although as far as I am aware for the UK market I only recall the 3.0 litre in normally aspirated and single turbo form.

You are right Daz, I read it wrong, read the 2.0 as a 4cyl. Yeh I think we only had the bigger engine in the UK.
Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 06:47:45 PM +0100 »

Guy's, if you want this series but with a revised format I can change things around for you. We certainly do not want to have Geoffers free races do we?

I can reduce races length and/or do without pit stops.

Would a race length of 40 or 50 mins suit better?

Discuss.  chef

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 06:51:07 PM +0100 by Wiltshire Tony » Logged

Wiltshire Tony
Director, UKGTL
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 06:52:08 PM +0100 »

Tony's Merc
BMW

SpecialKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 07:57:14 PM +0100 »

Result

Cool

So long

SpecialKS
aka Eifelblitz
Erling G-P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 09:26:02 PM +0100 »

Guy's, if you want this series but with a revised format I can change things around for you. We certainly do not want to have Geoffers free races do we?

I can reduce races length and/or do without pit stops.

Would a race length of 40 or 50 mins suit better?

Discuss.  chef

It's a dilemma for sure.  I really like longer races with pit stops, as it adds the element of pit strategy and the possibility of surprises there.  On the other hand, all-lonely races are usually not much fun.  Not sure what the ideal solution would be.  Hard pressed, I'd prefer to keep long races with pit stops.  If we're not as spread out as yesterday, the pit strategy might still be relevant, and in my own case, even a shorter race would still have been mostly lonely - I just have to drive alone a little longer if we keep the present format, so for me personally it wouldn't help much to shorten them (If all races are to go like the one yesterday).
Geoffers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 11:28:37 PM +0100 »

As Erling says it is a bit of a dilemma. Not against the pitstop element, by all means keep that, but maybe reduce the race length to say 45 minutes. If we had more drivers obviously it would not be an issue, but that is unlikely to happen & at some events the racing will be closer even with only half a dozen, but chances are most will be a bit lonely.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 09:39:21 AM +0100 »

We did go through a broadly similar problem over at UKGPL, with numbers on grids falling.

One of the strategies that we employed was to reach out to other leagues ( who were experiencing similar low numbers ) and arrange to run some series as a shared project. Currently we race the 1967 series with the Brazilian GPL league and have done quite succesfully for several seasons.
As a result of the shared season is that there has been some drivers joining other series in each other's leagues, benefitting both groups.

The other very successful thing that we did was a poll of UKGPL members to uncover what were the most wanted/popular cars to race, but I think that we have all made our preferences clear on the forum here.
I am not sure if the current pool of drivers in UKGTL is big enough to do a poll as we appear to be down to a hard core of 6-8 drivers?

As for longer or shorter races, I think it matters little because if you become isolated and run 90% of the race alone, it does not matter how many laps there are, it is still lonely. Although personally I simply enjoy the competition regardless of where I am in the field,  we discovered that some people become disillusioned with no hope of a podium against the aliens ( not the fault of the aliens!!) and drop out.
So, we tried some novel formats where we limited the car choice for alien class drivers and even created a handicap system where the fastest cars ( based upon world record times ) were forced to make a longer timed pitstops that would "in theory" mean that ALL cars in the race would cross the finish line together. This assumed that all drivers drove their car at WR pace and that no mistakes were made.....that bit did not happen, but there were often some very exciting final laps with drivers that had selected slower cars which had no penalty pitstops leading and aliens burning vast amounts of rubber to catch them.

Another suggestion would be a handicap system whereby the fastest drivers maybe have to perform extra SnG's  during the race to bring the cars closer together.  It is possible to work out the time lost in an SnG and the driver's race time from previous records to determine
We did have handicap event where each car carried a time penalty and each driver was also handicapped based on previous PB at the circuit. So each driver had a combined time penalty that would be applied at the finishing line.  This meant that you were not only racing other cars but also the clock. Crossing the line first did not guarantee the win, you have to have a big enough time margin too.

Or, we are about to run a a short 3 race series where the cars are in set groups of 3 cars which all have to be used. The aliens cannot choose the groups with the fastest cars, there by giving the gentlemen drivers a fighting chance. We know in practice that alien DNA usually means that the normal order is maintained, but the gaps are much closer.

I guess that what I am saying is that variety and the possibility of tasting champagne whatever your skill, does attract the slower/noobie driver.

I know that Tony takes on the organisation of this league, but maybe if one or two others chipped in there would be the time resource to create alternative formats?

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com