Read this first!    

April 29, 2024, 08:41:49 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Experimental UKGTR driver ballast skin pack released  (Read 12956 times)
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 03:36:57 PM +0100 »

Could you automate a script to input the values for you? I would have thought that'd be a breeze for someone of your coding skillz Dave Kiss

Only if I have an easy way to get the data from one place to another. Getting it out of our database is easy but getting it into the dedi server, GTR2 Manager Beta 4, The Haddockinator or another piece of software built without a scripting interface is a lot harder. Doing it based on lobby or driving name might work but the software might not support the right bits and you still have to rely on drivers not changing either for it to work - which means manual checking and a manual backup process.

It's also almost totally reliant on the dedi server actually writing the ballast values into the export correctly - I'll have to actually try it to find out if that works.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 03:39:38 PM +0100 »

I just instaled UKGTR Skins, Performance and Driver Ballast Pack (v2.5.0.3) and before I unistall old UKGTR 2.4 skins pack,when I start game my screen stay black and nothing happend!!!

It will take somewhat longer to load up than normal - if your machine is short of memory (or CPU, I suppose) it could conceivably take a lot longer than normal or fail altogether. That's one of the things I really can't be sure about without everyone trying it. What spec have you got?

Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 03:41:03 PM +0100 »

Well if you have one person writing out the ballast list then print it off, can't really go wrong unless the person is drunk or something.

Hmm another thing I find odd is negative ballast. I understand that some cars might need a little initial reduction but negative success ballast I'm not so sure of. I would keep it all positive to avoid any cars becoming too lite. You know when a lite car is made even more lite it can become undrivable because there's not enough weight to heat the tyres up, they can be stuck at 70 or so and actually make a car slower or at least not very pleasant to drive.

I think my suggestions are OK. I've driven the M3 with +20 and it was a dog to drive. Where can I find the predefined ballasts for season 6? If you have the M3 at +20 or something and then it can have potentially +30kg of success ballast it will be impossible to drive. It's 1280kg default so that would be 1330kg to 500hp that's almost a power to weight of 1:3 which means it won't really be a race car anymore.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:44:26 PM +0100 by Rich_A » Logged

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 03:44:09 PM +0100 »

Yes but it has more and more of an affect on a car if it has less power. So if you put +50 on a 650hp 1200kg car it might be 1.5 seconds slower. Put 50kg on a 400hp 1200kg car and it will be 3 seconds slower. It is about power to weight believe me Ari explained it to me and he was a professional rally driver.

Cobblers. Of course power to weight is important, but as Paul says, corner speed is determined by weight, not power.

350Z - 1500kg, 300hp.
1.4 Caterham - 500kg, 100hp.

Same power to weight ratio, big difference in lap times. 350Z wins on a power circuit, plastic pig wins on a handling circuit.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 03:45:27 PM +0100 »

Where can I find the predefined ballasts for season 6?

You can't. We haven't defined them yet - that's what the tests are for.

popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 03:48:30 PM +0100 »

Well if you have one person writing out the ballast list then print it off, can't really go wrong unless the person is drunk or something.

No-one has ever made a genuine mistake eh Rich?  Roll Eyes If someone has to wait while drivers join and type in 28 ballasts it's not exactly a fun task is it?

Surely in FIA rules the M3 could end up with a larger than +20kg ballast?

Of course you think your suggestions are OK, that's why you left to form EOAA eh? Grin
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:52:15 PM +0100 by popabawa » Logged

Legends Racing simracing team
Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:34 PM +0100 »

Yes it depends on the track but there's also tyre wear to consider. The trick is to find a nice balance. As I said before you've already got predefined masses so I wouldn't go over board with success ballast.

Howz this ..

GT1 +50 max 15 3rd, 20 2nd, 25 1st
GT2 +30 max 10 3rd, 15 2nd, 20 1st
GTC +24 max 4 3rd, 8 2nd, 12 1st
GT3 +18 max 3 3rd, 6 2nd, 9 1st

And then the other direction for 4th 5th 6th and so on and so fourth i.e. GT1 4th -15, 5th -20, 6th -25, 7th -25, 8th -25 ...

Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 03:56:27 PM +0100 »

No-one has ever made a genuine mistake eh Rich?  Roll Eyes If someone has to wait while drivers join and type in 28 ballasts it's not exactly a fun task is it?

Surely in FIA rules the M3 could end up with a larger than +20kg ballast?

Of course you think your suggestions are OK, that's why you left to form EOSS eh? Grin

Well pasting in if you use VNC or remote desktop wouldn't take more than 5 minutes, just copy paste enter in P1.

If I'm understanding your classes correctly you have something similar to our GT2 class i.e. M3, RSR, Toledo, BiTurbo and GTC. Those cars are quite even already. Here's our masses http://forum.eoaa.org/index.php?topic=177.0

+5 for M3 so it could potentially have +35 which is OK but much more and that car would be horrible to drive. It's no easy to figue all this out and certainly two brains are better than one no? CBFR might race here for season six and this is why I'm putting my suggestions forward although I might have done it anyway cause I like it here.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:01:27 PM +0100 by Rich_A » Logged

Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2007, 04:03:55 PM +0100 »

Yes but it has more and more of an affect on a car if it has less power. So if you put +50 on a 650hp 1200kg car it might be 1.5 seconds slower. Put 50kg on a 400hp 1200kg car and it will be 3 seconds slower. It is about power to weight believe me Ari explained it to me and he was a professional rally driver.

It is complex equation Rich, and depends a lot on the circuit used. I don't think the situation is anywhere near as bad as you think though. We raced the +50kg RSR in season 4 and the laptimes were not massively slower than the fastest times on GTR2Rank - within a second most of the time. Having done a few laps at Oshers B in the GT3 RS, I am less than 1 second faster in the -45kg car than the +45kg car. My time in the +45Kg car is less than a second slower than the fastest GTR2Rank time in a car weighing 75Kgs more (the ballast pack RS has 30kg to start with).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:06:12 PM +0100 by Paul968 » Logged
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2007, 04:06:57 PM +0100 »

+5 for M3 so it could potentially have +35 which is OK ...

If you have the M3 at +20 or something and then it can have potentially +30kg of success ballast it will be impossible to drive.

These comments seems entirely contradictory, apologies if I've misunderstood.

Sorry I got EOAA wrong, just goes to show mistakes happen though eh?

Legends Racing simracing team
psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2007, 04:11:11 PM +0100 »

just had a quick look at Beta 4 manager....seems to work pretty well...although it will not take minus values for weight penalties....

"I spend 95% of my money on women and booze. --The rest I just wasted." (Georgie Best)
BACKO

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 04:11:56 PM +0100 »

I just instaled UKGTR Skins, Performance and Driver Ballast Pack (v2.5.0.3) and before I unistall old UKGTR 2.4 skins pack,when I start game my screen stay black and nothing happend!!!

It will take somewhat longer to load up than normal - if your machine is short of memory (or CPU, I suppose) it could conceivably take a lot longer than normal or fail altogether. That's one of the things I really can't be sure about without everyone trying it. What spec have you got?
I have 2 GB MB,Intel Core2Duo E6600 2,4 ghz,GTX8800 ... I think quite fast PC so I don't know where is problem.When I start game  without your UKGTR skins pack ,I got it for 2 pr 3 sec and when I used your UKGTR v2.5.0.3 pack game is loading loading,then as normal black screen.After that should come game but never came,I had only freeze black screen without any reaction!!!PLS help!!! Sad
Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 04:12:34 PM +0100 »

Well I would aim to have the initial masses no more than +20 and -20 in either direction. Do you know which class has the biggest performance difference? That class is the one to concentrate on for sure. Another thing to consider is perhaps having 10 events for endurance instead of 8. Generally speaking if you have less events then one must use lower success ballast amounts otherwise there is not enough time to let the dust settle so to speak. FIA GT have 10 events and +80 for GT1, so that would be a good indicator. Perhaps for 8 events I would only have +60 as the maximum.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 04:20:58 PM +0100 by Rich_A » Logged

Rich_A

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 04:16:03 PM +0100 »

+5 for M3 so it could potentially have +35 which is OK ...

If you have the M3 at +20 or something and then it can have potentially +30kg of success ballast it will be impossible to drive.

These comments seems entirely contradictory, apologies if I've misunderstood.

Sorry I got EOAA wrong, just goes to show mistakes happen though eh?

Hehe 15kg difference. But still it does get more and more worse to the point where an already heavy car becomes just too heavy. The RSR already monsters the M3 in turns. I'm not sure what's best but GT2 shouldn't be a problem if you have it as I think you have it lol.

psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2007, 04:16:41 PM +0100 »

Have you tried re-installing the pack Backo?....it may not have installed correctly first time.

"I spend 95% of my money on women and booze. --The rest I just wasted." (Georgie Best)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com