The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

March 29, 2024, 05:26:43 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • Race'07 demo test/fun: September 13, 2007
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Test/Fun Race tonight (13 Sept)  (Read 5274 times)
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 10:53:52 PM +0100 »

No. I refuse to play this rubbish.  Angry

TT
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 05:54:17 AM +0100 »

Well, I enjoyed it and thought it showed some potential.
Thanks for running the test, it was nice to get away from having to run on a public server.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 08:00:34 AM +0100 »

Constructive. Tongue laugh

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 08:22:31 AM +0100 »

Constructive. Tongue laugh

I know, I was pissed.  Grin
Reason: rFactor demo was my first on-line racing experience where I had to try to constantly improve if I was to stay in the front of the grid. That's where I learned how to setup the car - or the beginning of it.  Roll Eyes  Last night it was like all of it can be thrown outta window - nothing worked the way it had in rFactor, GTR1 and GTR2. Turn in was horrible no matter what I did, understeer when braking and turning, then snap oversteer.  cursing  What car behaves like that, who would drive this ...  Angry  I guess I just can't set it up, but if I can do that in rFactor, GTR1 and GTR2 (ok, partially) then it must be something else as well.  Sad
I admit I liked the graphics, sound in nice, dynamic weather seems to work. But UI is terrible and AI is not improved as far as I can see. Therefore GTR2 impression as a simulation is downgraded and that means the thing is not good.  Sad  Seems more arkady to me and I go around a shite like that it as far away as I can.  Roll Eyes

TT   
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 08:55:08 AM +0100 »

I didn't try the BMW but the Seat felt pretty good to me. I just tweaked the gearing ratio and the tyre pressures from the default set-up and it seemed pretty drivable.

I was ready to hate the tin-tops in Race 07 but the more I drove it last night the more I felt like I was able to push it towards the limit a little more and the car felt a bit more 'alive' like Jeff said.

I really like the live data about how far the cars are ahead / behind and the little summary you get as cars cross the finish line. I'm sure real-life drivers get better data than we do in GTR2 so this is a nice addition.

I also like the graphical warning you get when there's an incident in one of the sectors, unobtrusive but effective.

The live weather seemed to work very well, skies darkened, it rained a bit, then stopped, the track was still wet for the next session. It might have just been that we hit a fluke set of circumstances but it seemed better implemented than GTR2 (i.e the changeable weather was actually changeable!).

Another bug I experienced is that some of my control mapping disappeared in-between qualifying and the race. Luckily it wasn't anything critical but I had to quickly re-map headlights and driver tags.

The UI isn't great, in particular it seems clumsy having the front and rear set-up of the car on different screens, the set-up screens in GTR2 seem to be more sensibly laid out - why change it?

Legends Racing simracing team
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 10:51:10 AM +0100 »

Results imported and replay available

For some reason I am totally absent from the race 2 results file even tho I joined the grid. OK I pressed ESC before the countdown and race start which caused me quit the race (unlike GTR2 where you can tweak the setup)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 10:53:56 AM +0100 by picnic » Logged

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 10:58:48 AM +0100 »

Have to agree on the UI comments, I thought GTL's UI was a backward step from GTR and this seems to me worse than the GTL one  Undecided Perhaps over time one will be more comfortable with it.

Also the game is only any fun with the aids off, when I joined last night I forgot the aids would be back on and briefly wondered why the car felt so dull. Switch them off and drive like a loon and the Seat will get sideways Smiley And, did I mention I won a race  Grin

EdamSpeed
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 12:00:02 PM +0100 »

Everything seemed OK on the server, no lag or anything like that, I git caught at the start of the race, the lights were red, then just went off, no green light  Huh I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to be like that.

That's how race starts are in real life these days. The green light was dropped in 2004/2005 I think. Most people I raced with at the time were caught out by the change too, but I just went when the red lights went a bit dimmer, so I was fine Wink
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 12:53:19 PM +0100 »

Thanks Edam, looks like GTR/GTR2/rFactor/GTl had me too well trained!

Glad I found that out in a fun race anyway Tongue

Legends Racing simracing team
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 01:07:53 PM +0100 »

And, did I mention I won a race  Grin

Yes Pete you did.
That was a great drive.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print