The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

May 01, 2024, 03:04:07 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The leagues server  (Read 11308 times)
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 04:15:39 PM +0100 »

Yep, 4U servers are who we used. Sorry.

We switched to Jolt last year but we didn't like our experiences with Jolt so went back to 4U who we had the first year. We are very unlikely to ever go back to Jolt they were that bad.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 04:24:21 PM +0100 »

12Mb up/down is plenty to run our races. How contended will that 12Mb be?

Not sure what a Barton 2800+ is in comparison to what we have, but 2Gb is perfect and graphics card doesn't make any difference for the server. Smiley

Barton is AMD 2800+, nvm, should work fine, @2.05Ghz atm, was driving GTR2 on it without any problems.

Optic line shall be busy doing P2P, of course. Luckily P2P software I'm using enables scheduling, hence it shouldn't be a problem, I don't care if it isn't downloading in the evenings at all (P2P won't get access to full bandwith anyway hence it won't cause a problem during free practice hours, would be disabled during racing, just in case). 

How many races per week are we looking at? My GF and I like to play Civ4 too and that does mean using (same) PC. Wink

Then again... new PC is always an option.  Grin

Let's not forget - bandwith is a terrible thing to waste. Cool

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
RS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 04:24:52 PM +0100 »

Oh pants  Undecided

Well not too bad for me fortunately as I was under a month agreement so only lost a couple of weeks of money, what a shame as the connections on their servers have been pretty much faultless in the few months I have been with them.

I don't suppose there will be anyone else out there for that price, any ideas who else guys

Thanks

Paul

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 04:34:29 PM +0100 »

I think the contributers and donators to our server have lost about 6-7 months money on the server as it was renewed in April/May. Sad :'(

We are looking into the server situation at the moment behind the scenes, but there is no-one out there that cheap as far as I'm aware. Jolt are the next cheapest, but as I said wouldn't touch again for renting from, although they do have co-location facilities, but co-locatin is never as cheap as it looks.

Jure,

Probably best if the conversation with you is carried on in this thread in the Mods board with the other discussions regarding server possibilities...

https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3660.0

Thanks.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 08:22:51 PM +0100 »

Just checked and I have around £135 in the kitty, in addition to £100 from last renewal which I pre-donated, plus whatever money has been paid directly (not via PayPal) to Picnic. (Thanks Carl for yesterday's donation. Cool ) So we've probably got about £300 right now. I don't want people to go nuts with donations right now until we understand what the situation in the short to medium term will be. If we need a sudden injection of funds I can loan/donate whatever's necessary without any personal hardship (though I may have to cut the servants' hours down a bit laugh ).

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 08:24:02 PM +0100 »

Jure,
Probably best if the conversation with you is carried on in this thread in the Mods board with the other discussions regarding server possibilities...

Simon, Jure doesn't have access to anything but the incident moderator forums at the moment, he's my guinea pig for a new breed of moderators. Wink Cool

Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:57 PM +0100 »

Does he have special powers then?
Rob Bywater "Kerb Crawlers"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 08:48:03 PM +0100 »

I think this is all an elaborate hoax, which will be "fixed" on Monday, after those that shall remain nameless are back from their NFL visit to Wembley, and wont have missed any races!!   Grin

Cheers

Rob
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 08:48:57 PM +0100 »

Does he have special powers then?

Who, Jure? Only to access a pair of specific incident moderation boards, and to the court system in LM2i.

I think this is all an elaborate hoax, which will be "fixed" on Monday, after those that shall remain nameless are back from their NFL visit to Wembley, and wont have missed any races!!   Grin

I was waiting for that. laugh Sadly we're not the only ones suffering...

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 09:24:52 PM +0100 »

Simon, Jure doesn't have access to anything but the incident moderator forums at the moment, he's my guinea pig for a new breed of moderators. Wink Cool

Ah, I figured as he was a moderator he had access to all the moderators boards.
What's the best way to get him involved in the server discussions?

I think this is all an elaborate hoax, which will be "fixed" on Monday, after those that shall remain nameless are back from their NFL visit to Wembley, and wont have missed any races!!   Grin

ROFL!

You'll just have to wait till Monday to find out. Grin

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Paul968
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 09:36:30 PM +0100 »

Who, Jure? Only to access a pair of specific incident moderation boards, and to the court system in LM2i.

Oh, I thought that as he was one of a new breed of moderators, he might have the ability to spot all incidents with his X-Ray vision or something  Cheesy
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 09:40:38 PM +0100 »

What's the best way to get him involved in the server discussions?

PMs for now - as per our other possible 'solution provider'. Wink

Oh, I thought that as he was one of a new breed of moderators, he might have the ability to spot all incidents with his X-Ray vision or something  Cheesy

We haven't given him the special pants required for that yet. turned

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 09:43:27 PM +0100 »

In that case then...

Barton is AMD 2800+, nvm, should work fine, @2.05Ghz atm, was driving GTR2 on it without any problems.

Way back in the distant past a 2.4Ghz P4 was not sufficient to host more than 20 - 22 racers in GTL and less than a full grid of GTR. When we moved to Jolt this problem disappeared, but that's because we had a 4000+ AMD based server. Thus a 2800+ might be borderline for a full grid of 26 in GTR2. Last server was dual core 3.4Ghz P4.

Optic line shall be busy doing P2P, of course. Luckily P2P software I'm using enables scheduling, hence it shouldn't be a problem, I don't care if it isn't downloading in the evenings at all (P2P won't get access to full bandwith anyway hence it won't cause a problem during free practice hours, would be disabled during racing, just in case). 

How many races per week are we looking at? My GF and I like to play Civ4 too and that does mean using (same) PC. Wink

Then again... new PC is always an option.  Grin

Let's not forget - bandwith is a terrible thing to waste. Cool

When we share a server rack I bet there is other traffic to affect our quality of service, thus assuming a line is not maxed out our 1.5-2Mbps still leaves room for other network activity. Again only testing will show at what point the strains on the system give problems.

I just wish someone over here could sort out serious home connections. Be (now owned by O2) are the closest offering a potential 2.5Mbps up but most of us live too far from an exchange to get that, I'd try a server on it if I could but they wouldn't even entertain me as a customer I'm so far from the exchange. But in reality anything over about 400K is a dream here in the UK and will be for quite some time Sad

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:23 PM +0100 »

I just wish someone over here could sort out serious home connections. Be (now owned by O2) are the closest offering a potential 2.5Mbps up but most of us live too far from an exchange to get that, I'd try a server on it if I could but they wouldn't even entertain me as a customer I'm so far from the exchange. But in reality anything over about 400K is a dream here in the UK and will be for quite some time Sad

I just checked our phone number on Be's website and it says I could get the BePro service (24mb/2.5mb). I'm currently on Virgin cable 4mb and quite happy with the quality of actual internet connection, so am reluctant to change even with potential to get those speeds at a lower price than Virgin, especially with all the troubles I hear everyone else having with their ADSL, I never get discos with Virgin.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
MortenS
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 09:57:55 PM +0100 »

I have optical cable to my house, but only the cable. The ISP said they expected the net to be running by the end of 2007, so I'm still waiting. That particular ISP is the only one I know here that can give same speed both up and down, which means I could get 2mb/2mb or 4mb/4mb or I guess 20mb/20mb.

The way it is today, you have to pay a fortune for 20mb down, but still only get 2mb or so up. But in my case, untill the optical cables deliver light, I can't choose anything else than the "ex" government provider, which is the worst of them all. Mostly max 380kb up.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com