by SimRacing.org.uk   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 27, 2024, 10:13:45 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Downloads Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • L5 GT Classic Cup Zolder: April 10, 2008
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGTL Season 5 GT Classic Fun Race - Zolder - April 10th  (Read 16929 times)
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:22:31 AM +0000 »

All members welcome.
Practice: 20:15 (10 mins)
Qualifying: 20:25 (25 mins)
Race: 20:50 (21 laps = ~40 mins)
Track: Zolder
Cars allowed: Ford Falcon, Alfa Romeo GTA, Austin Mini Cooper S and Lotus Cortina.
Time of Day Setting: 13:00
Start: STANDING
Server: UKGTL Classics Cup
Password:
Notes:
(1) It's best if all drivers can make sure they are connected before the Qualifying session as drivers on track during qualifying will not see cars that join after they are on track until they go back to the garage.
(2) Please make sure you are fully aware of the SimRacing.org.uk Rules.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:46:25 PM +0100 by ginsters sponsored » Logged

Syd Drake
Former UKGPL Moderators

Nightwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:28:39 PM +0000 »

What, no posts?
Any lap times yet? I tried a few laps in the Falcon to learn the track. I got to about 1.59.
Steve Holmes
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 01:48:45 PM +0000 »

This is one of those tracks with hugely varying laptimes, depending on how much of the 'track' (read gravel and grass) you use.  I can do low-mid 58s in all 4 cars, but go have a look at GTLRank - people doing 54/55s in Alfas there, scary.   Shocked

ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:55:34 PM +0000 »

Hate bits, awfull T1, but enjoy more bits, especially brilliant compression section through second chicane, of this track. Mid 58's so far in the luvverly Falcon for me.

I guess the Alfa may have the edge, boo hiss, but I'd hope those rank times are slightly dodgy. Funny mini one up top  Smiley

Sandor M

I am a gentleman driver

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:15:26 PM +0000 »

If it makes you guys happy , my fastest time till now in the alfa is 2.05  Embarrassed
But we still got a few days till thursday so must get some better times......
Tibernius
Director, AC
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:21:35 PM +0000 »

Alfa Romeo for this one I think. I'd rather be driving the Mini though. Sad
Mike Hammer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:40:03 PM +0000 »

T1 is easy to skid wide on, but it's a great corner, imho. T1, 2, first chicane and the two righthanders after the second chicane are my favorites. T2 exit in a Panty is awesome, as long as you don't care about hotlapping or mind leaving your tires on the pavement  Grin

One key point to make time on Zolder is using a good chunk of the grass on the left going into the first chicane. Almost sorry to say it's worth at least half a second, maybe as much as a second, at least compared to keeping all tires on the asphalt.

Second chicane you gotta brake fairly early to make sure you don't drift wide in the first right, so you can get on the gas as early as possible going out of the chicane, just staying off the sand, but definitely using the concrete or whatever that grey stuff is (for rank hotlapping, not UKGTL legal). Actually, it's not only about getting on the gas early, since you also have to position yourself away from the right side for the following righthander.

Hairpin obviously be vary of going wide, only think about getting on the gas as early as possible. Third and final chicane again make sure you don't drift wide on the lefthander, stay on the inside of that to get a good line through the righthander for good speed on to the start/finish straight.

I don't recall exactly, but I'm fairly certain that achieving GTL rank times means cutting chicanes a good deal, at least the second chicane so all tires are outside the white lines, which of course is not allowed in UKGTL.

I should do 55's in the Alfa on a good day, and the rank page says my PB in the Falcon is 56.9. But, I haven't driven on Zolder in ages and keeping the lap UKGTL legal I'd say, and this is a pretty wild guess here, maybe high 56 in Alfa and Falcon a second slower for qually. Full tank or worn tires add another second. Maybe more, maybe less. If Bara or Ruskus practice, well, best not speak for others  Wink

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:43:21 PM +0000 by Mike Hammer » Logged

Hates rain. I mean, R E A L L Y hates rain.
Steve Holmes
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 04:47:54 PM +0000 »

I think Mike's post sums it up.  Speed depends on what you treat as track!  I'm trying very hard to keep one tyre at least on the white line, UKGTL legal, but it's a minifield with the cut detection allowing a good meter off track in places.  Maybe we need a directive from on high for this one.

All the best corners for me are the ones you can't cut, T1 all the way round to the first chicane is great, and those right handers Mike mentions are tail out fun in the V8s.  Just hate the chicanes and the vagueness of what line to take.   Angry

Think it's gonna be the Mustang, missed the Dijon Enduro when I would have taken it so now is its time.

psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 05:09:58 PM +0000 »

I'm trying very hard to keep one tyre at least on the white line, UKGTL legal, but it's a minifield with the cut detection allowing a good meter off track in places.  Maybe we need a directive from on high for this one.

You said it  Wink

In line with the gentlemanly conduct associated with srou, we would expect everybody to drive within the rules. As is normal for cut detection however, we will be relying on the built in detection system and of course any incident reports that may be submitted, to impliment the rules.

"I spend 95% of my money on women and booze. --The rest I just wasted." (Georgie Best)
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 05:32:17 PM +0000 »

This is relevant section from rules-

Under normal circumstances the simulation's internal cut detection will be relied upon to police the cutting of chicanes and other corners.
Drivers are strongly discouraged from the deliberate placing of one or more wheels on areas of grass, gravel and sand.
Clear and deliberate cutting which evades detection by the simulation may still result in a penalty.
A driver who gains an advantage through a cut must yield the advantage back to any affected car(s).
An advantage may include taking a place directly, setting up a pass, or avoiding losing a place.

With the deliberate placing of wheels on grass, gravel and sand being the most pertinent too Zolder.

For me, these rules provide one "grey area" at Zolder. That is grey/white concrete section on left hand turn of second chicane. For me, its not grass, gravel or sand and looks like part of the track to me so I say its OK to use it. Perhaps Dave can confirm this either way as we have two races here this week. Don't see anything else that needs clarifying?

We simply can't check through all racing laps and these rules place some onus on the drivers to play fair. Sure you will angel

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 05:50:18 PM +0000 by ginsters sponsored » Logged

Jeffrey
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 06:35:37 PM +0000 »

My best so far is a 1:55.9 in the Falcon.

It's really hard to see where your tyres are in that thing  Grin
Sandor M

I am a gentleman driver

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 09:16:04 PM +0000 »

pffff, did something of 15 to 20 laps this evening and still only a 2.02.11 :-(
Don't think i'm gonna go much faster thursday .

So anyone in for a fight in the back  Grin
psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:29:30 AM +0000 »

My best so far is a 1:55.9 in the Falcon.

It's really hard to see where your tyres are in that thing  Grin

No Jeff, it's easy.....just look at the big black tyre marks you left, in your mirrors.... Grin

"I spend 95% of my money on women and booze. --The rest I just wasted." (Georgie Best)
psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:33 AM +0000 »

For me, these rules provide one "grey area" at Zolder. That is grey/white concrete section on left hand turn of second chicane. For me, its not grass, gravel or sand and looks like part of the track to me so I say its OK to use it. Perhaps Dave can confirm this either way as we have two races here this week. Don't see anything else that needs clarifying?

looking closely during a recent walk round of the track, I noticed the white line is clearly visible following the edge of the grey/white concrete section in the chicane. This implies to me that the said section is NOT part of the track and should be treated pretty much the same as any grass/gravel/sand.

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 11:05:33 AM +0000 »

As ever I'm expecting people to take the chicanes in a sporting and safe way. As I've said many, many times in the past, and has already been repeated in this thread, there is no practical manner to enforce more specific rules beyond the checking built into each sim, and since the vast majority seem willing and able to use their common sense where that checking is found wanting I'm confident that Zolder will be "business as usual".

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com