The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 02, 2024, 01:07:20 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • GTR Evo release: August 28, 2008
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: GTR Evolution  (Read 20632 times)
psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2008, 08:13:12 PM +0100 »

ninja

I haven't even looked to be honest.....I'm hanging fire because of....

https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5168.0

"I spend 95% of my money on women and booze. --The rest I just wasted." (Georgie Best)
BillThomas

We will rock you! Rock on.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2008, 08:51:58 PM +0100 »

ninja

I haven't even looked to be honest.....I'm hanging fire because of....

https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5168.0

Thanks for that.  thumbup2 Not been racing GTR2 for a while - seemed addicted to the kitty litter.  oops Must try again. now I have a G25, perhaps in the winter when I should have more time.

Race 07 Evo was getting good reports (hence me pre ordering the expansion pack) but now it's released (?) I've seen no comments on the actual released simulator.  Hence my query.  Grin

Bill

Bill Thomas   wheelchair
Another one bites the dust
GardO

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2008, 11:08:01 AM +0100 »

my thoughts on the addition follow simons view, i waited anxiously for this,now i have it, i'm not really sure it's any good,certainly not as good as GTR2,the handling,to me, is very unpredictable, i did a race with racedepartment last night at nurburgring gp and it took me nearly the whooe hour of practice to get a setup to do a single competetive lap, i was driving the aston martin db9sr gt sport group.

i'm not impressed

the only thing i like is the nordschlieffe and nurburgring and gp version, also they have added an online set-up update,but it's not working right yet, you go to it, select the car you are driving, it brings up a list of set-ups people have added,but within a fraction of a second they disappear again lol

i just hope they do some updats pretty rapid

Dave

popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2008, 12:26:26 PM +0100 »

I've just had a punt and I'm not very impressed I'm afraid. It seems like a step backwards from GTR2 to me Undecided

I'm not sure if I've just spent too much time in iRacing but the force feedback is terrible, I tried tweaking for a while but it just doesn't seem connected to the car very well, which was one of my critisisms of Race 07. Just so no-one accuses my of iRacing fanboyism, I'd say the FF GTR2 is a whole bunch better than Evo.

I agree with Simon on the sounds too, feedback from the tyres is minimal, same comparison to GTR2, it's simply much better in GTR2.

The cars just seem very flat in Evo compared to GTR2.

Legends Racing simracing team
GardO

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2008, 01:12:58 PM +0100 »

i disagree with your feelings of the forcefeedback in Race07, i find the way i have it set is very realistic,in the fwd with wheelspin in real cars you can feel the grip go away from you,i have got it set very very similar in game, it should be the same for the evo add on,but it doesn't feel the same.

Dave
psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2008, 01:27:18 PM +0100 »

I have always considered Race07 a step backwards from GTR2....but I was really hoping EVO would help at least bring it somewhere in line....It doesn't look like it though....and the car models are a little poor compared to what I expected from Simbin  Sad
It appears to be aimed more at the 'console' driver rather than the dedicated simmer imo, which is obviously worth more pennies to the developers etc. so I can't knock them for that.

However, I will not be using it....it just isn't what I'm after in a sim.

"I spend 95% of my money on women and booze. --The rest I just wasted." (Georgie Best)
popabawa
Legendary Leader
Former Moderators

Less yapping and more lapping!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2008, 01:41:54 PM +0100 »

It appears to be aimed more at the 'console' driver rather than the dedicated simmer imo

I think it sits somewhere, rather uneasily, in the middle of the two and will probably end up not appealing very much to either camp  Undecided

Legends Racing simracing team
JonM_uk

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2008, 03:34:02 PM +0000 »

After all these positive vibes I couldn't help but buy it...Well that and the fact I just wanted to try an official 'Green Hell'.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:13:15 PM +0000 by JonM_uk » Logged

OSiriS

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2008, 05:28:40 PM +0000 »

How many cars can you have around the Nordschleife on a decent machine while still having an acceptable framerate?

Phill Kerins
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2008, 12:55:03 PM +0000 »

I've been in two minds since launch, and after reading plenty of reviews and opinions, thought I'd give GTRE a bash - already had a much neglected copy of Race 07 and given the amount of enjoyment I get out of Simbin's work, thought it fair enough to chuck a few quid in for the cause!

I have to say that against the trend, I really enjoyed it. Within half an hour I'd had two absolutely cracking races in the 87 BTCC BMW online - I remember Ginsters saying it was plenty of fun and he's bang on, in those cars it was just non-stop overtaking and i couldn't wipe the smirk off until the flag - something I've not done on a public server in GTL/ GTR2 for a long time.

I've been struggling to work out how realistic the physics are, they're definitely not as twitchy as something like GTL but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Is difficult necessarily realistic? Only Purdie, Edam and co can probably say for certain but in the 87 and 2007 BMW's it sort of felt how you'd imagine it would. The back will slide out under braking and on the power but it does feel very controllable without getting arcadey. What kept me interested was that although it felt easier to sling around the track,  you still need to keep things ultra smooth to extract any pace and I found that a great challenge, especially around Castle Combe!

Tried the FBMW too, didn't feel a lot different to in Race 07 (not sure it's supposed to be) but man I'd forgotten how much I love those cars. Could drive them all day long. Having driven a single seater at Donington albeit for about 6 laps lol, there's something about them that really feels right. I think the sound contributes but there's that same mechanical grip feeling too....love them to bits and the helmet view is quality.

997 around the Nurburgring was quite an experience although I think the German lady from Top Gear was behind me...ordinarily this wouldn't be a bad thing (Grin) but I was getting badly harrassed by a Z4's vastly superior track knowledge!

I've signed up to http://www.weissbierbude.de/ so I'm already stacked with cars and skins for free without any hassle, and quite honestly as I haven't yet been convinced iRacing is the way to go for me, this has been a great way to freshen things up. Oh yeah, did I mention the full GTL mod is complete for it too??  Grin

I don't think I'll be leaving GTL/ GTR2 behind any time soon but I'm thoroughly enjoying GTRE and I'm buying in to the physics model too until somebody with experience says otherwise. I don't think it feels cheap at all, it's more modern but I like where they're going - the sinister sound track's pretty cool too...before the gorgonzola breakdown that is lol.

Horses for courses - thought I'd feel like most of you but I was just really pleasantly surprised.

Steve Holmes
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2008, 02:46:06 PM +0000 »

Sounds like you've experienced a good selection of cars there Oily, I'm of a similar opinion to you, it's actually quite good fun.

I personally think the driving model is a little bit easy to start with, the cars are very stable, but it still requires skill to actually get quick in them.  I jumped in a F3000 meeting at Brands having never jumped in one of those cars, and I didn't make a single error that spat me off the track and quallied midfield.  So perhaps a bit easy.  But I was several seconds (3 I think?) off the fastest guys, so not so easy.  Race descended into crashes but oh well, public servers....

Interesting that opinions do differ so much about it.

This from my teamie, although perhaps the demo varies a little from the full version???

https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5538.0

I'm completely the opposite, what I most hate is the FF which is simply telling me nothing, simply that I have the wheel turned a bit, or I don't.  I guess different wheels?  Weird.

picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2008, 03:16:30 PM +0000 »

especially around Castle Combe!

Is that built in or did you download it from somewhere? Is it as good as the rFactor version?

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2008, 03:30:16 PM +0000 »

I gave GTR-E another go recently and it stayed on my hard drive for all of 30 minutes before it was dumped again.

Ignoring the watered down driving model and the lo-tech graphics, the sounds themselves are enough to drive you up the wall. The tyre screeching/squealing/scrubbing still sounds like a teacher scraping the blackboard with their finger nails. It's diabolical and I simply can't stand it enough to play through the scratching noises.

Nope I won't be trying it again, I'd rather play RACE 07 than GTR-E and I'd only play that to laugh at the fact you can drive the WTCC cars at 90 degrees to the track for most of the corners. Tongue
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:32:44 PM +0000 by Simon 'Shark' Gymer » Logged

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
pribeiro

Animals and racing lover

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2008, 03:30:29 PM +0000 »

In fact, since i got GTREVO and STCC, i tried to race again in GTR2 after....but only
i could do was a couple of laps before i quit for good GTR2.
Physics and sounds, better than GTR2!  Smiley

Isn't my avatar amazingly sweet?
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2008, 04:00:41 PM +0000 »

Yeah that sounds a bit much doesn't it Steve, even a man of your skills  (Wink) shouldn't be able to do that in an F3000 - I rapidly went off those in Race 07, I think for that sort of high speed single seater it's straight to the GTR2 F1 mod every time. Have you tried the FBMW's - would be interested to know what you think? I'd love to have some proper wheel to wheel action with some SROU people some time!

Sorry Picnic, I'm going to be no use to you - haven't played the rFactor version, this one seemed pretty good to me but couldn't tell you. As I used the http://www.weissbierbude.de/ auto installer as soon as I loaded the game, I also couldn't tell you if the track was standard or not either which was clever I know! I suspect not tbh, freely available though.

I gave GTR-E another go recently and it stayed on my hard drive for all of 30 minutes before it was dumped again.

I'm sure some day, some where, some one will release a game that meets your requirements Simon lol

Physics and sounds, better than GTR2!  Smiley

Watch our PR you'll start a war lol  Grin. I know what you mean though, a bit early for me not to go back but I do really like the tyre sounds on that Beemer i keep going on about, slicks bouncing across the tarmac under braking were excellent.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com