Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 09:55:43 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S15Dc Zandvoort: May 25, 2008
May 25, 2008, 09:11:53 PM +0100 - Zandvoort (1948-72) - UKGPL Season 15 (2008) Clubmans
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Will Tway
 Crash 'N' Burn Racing
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 1 1:25.106
110.207mph
1 39:37.836
106.500mph
27 1:25.560
109.622mph
Goodyear  
Phil Thornton
 Crash 'N' Burn Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 2 +1.526
108.266mph
2 +37.536
104.845mph
27 1:27.207
107.552mph
Goodyear  
batestfastard
 BCF Racing
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 3 +1.993
107.685mph
3 +39.242
104.771mph
27 1:26.865
107.975mph
Goodyear  
Burtoner
 The Coopermen
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 5 +2.516
107.042mph
4 +47.777
104.402mph
27 1:27.788
106.840mph
Firestone  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 4 +2.481
107.085mph
5 +52.910
104.182mph
27 1:27.556
107.123mph
Goodyear  
Jack O'Ferrall
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 7 +2.881
106.598mph
6 +1:25.598
102.800mph
27 1:28.926
105.473mph
Goodyear  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 6 +2.768
106.735mph
7 (+2) +1L
101.486mph
26 1:28.536
105.937mph
Goodyear  
IanBassi
 Phoenix Racing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 8 +2.991
106.465mph
8 (+2) +6.837
101.198mph
26 1:27.399
107.315mph
Firestone  
G Poole

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 9 +6.247
102.670mph
9 +2L
94.461mph
25 1:31.660
102.327mph
Goodyear  
bindonblood

Honda RA300 F1 1967 10 +7.999
100.738mph
10 +6L
81.607mph
21 1:37.433
96.264mph
Disco
Firestone  
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 11 +8.939
99.732mph
11 +25L
72.259mph
2 1:58.186
79.360mph
Disco
Goodyear  
3 UKGPL67

Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 DNS ---
---
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

A remarkable 1-2 finish for Crash and Burn racing, their second of the season. Will Tway drove a consistant race at a killer pace to claim his first win of the season, after missing two previous events. Will also posted the fastest race lap of 1m25.560s.

Phil's managed to defend his second position from charging Ian Docherty, thereby taking over the lead at the championship table ahead of Chris Bull who did not attend the event.

Ian Docherty also got to taste the champagne with his first visit to the podium this season.
Burt also had another noteworthy consistant race and was a strong candidate for the podium and pressed Ian very hard for more than half a race.

Next stop, its the track everyone has been waiting for with anticipation - the "Green Hell" Nurburgring :) marking the start of the second half of the season.

Server replay time: 0h01m08s

Lap 1 - Ian Bassi and Michael Turner are through Gerlachbocht side by side. Ian moves ahead Michael and holds inside line into next corner however, he goes too hard on the throttle and oversteers onto Michael who also makes a mistake by swerwing to the right as if unaware of Ian`s presence.

Both drivers made mistakes that contributed to the accident.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h01m11s

Lap 1 - Dennis goes too fast by the spun Michael Turner and altough there is room to pass, he clips Michael and spins him self.

Dennis is well advised to slow down when approaching the accident.

Server replay time: 0h01m18s

Lap 1 - Dennis is now parked beside the racing line and tries continue but so does Michael behind him. Michael is forced to take avoiding action and moves onto the grass.

While rejoining, Michael presses throttle too much and spins onto the track and into Dennis.

This is a bad rejoin with loss of control as a mitigating factor. The normal penalty of 2 places for a bad rejoin has been mitigated to 1 place because of a lack of control. However this was a first lap incident attracting an extra place penalty.

Server replay time: 0h08m27s

Lap 6 - Ian Bassi follows Rob Burton through Pulleveld and onto the straight, carrying more speed. Burt rightfully takes his racing line towards the right side of the track and points it to the inside of Tarzan bend, setting up a trap for Ian and ensuring that the only way to go is left. Ian doesn't see this coming and decides to overtake to the right, taking the line which takes him into the haybales at the exit of pitlane hoping he'd sneak through between Burt and haybales which didn't happen.

As they arrive there, Ian bounces off the haybales and takes out Burt with him. As there was no loss of control and with more than one alternative available for Ian, I treat this as a blatant side by side contact so 2 place penalty.

Burt is entitled to a no fault Shift R.

Server replay time: 0h18m47s

Lap 12 - Michael Turner is being caught up with Bernie Darwin who has had an off earlier. Bernie is now up on Michael and Michael decides to move over and slows down just before Tunnel Oost, letting Bernie pass even though he's not being lapped. As Bernie passes through, Michael is forced to go back to racing line too soon in order to go around the fast right hander and almost takes Bernie out. Michael crashes out consequently as he was not in a best position to take the corner properly.

It is very commendable of Michael to move over however, he could not pick the worse spot to do so. This could have been better carried out after the Tunnel Oost or on the home straight. Moving over should never be done just before the corner especially not before a fast sweeping turn.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 15 Clubmans - Zandvoort (1967) - May 25  (Read 9520 times)
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:36:42 PM +0100 »

UKGPL Season 15 Clubmans Cup - Round 5 - Zandvoort - May 25

Gentlemen, welcome to the round five of the championship, see race announcement below.

Please keep up the good work with excellent first lap record of Clubman division. Smiley

Wish you all good luck.

Kruger

Please be in the UKGPL IGOR chat-room by 20:25 BST.

Server 3.ukgpl
IP address 87.194.135.42
Race date = 25-05-2008, 20:30 BST
Track = Zandvoort
Race length = Int Long (27 laps)

Qualifying time = 35 minutes. Don't start until 30 mins left on
clock to
allow everyone to join.

CHASSIS RESTRICTIONS
The following groups of drivers are restricted to the cars shown
below unless they opt to carry out additional pit stops to equalise
the performance of the car that is chosen:-

Group 1 - 1st and 2nd - Limited to BRM, Cooper or Honda
Chris Bull
Artur Le Marquand

Group 2 - 3rd and 4th - Limited to BRM, Cooper, Honda or Brabham
Phil Thornton
Bernie Darwin

Group 3 - 5th and 6th - Cannot take Eagle or Lotus
Robert Burton
Ben Summers

Group 4 - 7th and 8th - Cannot take Lotus
Will Tway
Ian Docherty

9th and below - Free choice of chassis.

PIT STOPS FOR DRIVERS OPTING TO USE FASTER CAR THAN ALLOWED ABOVE
Drivers wishing to take a chassis other than as specified above will
need to make the appropriate pit stop(s) as follows:

Group 1
Lotus 1 x 32 seconds or 2 x 11 seconds
Ferrari 1 x 18 seconds
Eagle 1 x 17 seconds
Brabham 1 x 12 seconds

Group 2
Lotus 1 x 10 seconds
Ferrari Stop n Go
Eagle Stop n Go

Group 3
Lotus 1 x 5 seconds
Ferrari Stop n Go

Group 4
Lotus 1 x 4 seconds

The pit window is as follows:

Pit stop to be taken between 21 to go and 13 to go on your pit
board. If a second pit stop is required it cannot be taken on the
lap following your first stop and must be completed before your pit
board says 6 laps to go.

Password: see above
(2) Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

iRacing alias: Nihad Gluscic
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:34:37 AM +0100 »

REED, MARQUE, LEARN: THE JACK O’FERRALL STORY

Zandvoort May 25

….We were all fairly low after Monaco, though neither of the accidents had been avoidable, even if we'd been just trying to finish rather than trying to race.  I stayed away from Burley and spent some time with the mechanics.  At night we played a game that involved telling Scotch from Bourbon while smoking a Havana cigar.  It was easy at first.  Then one of them jibed that without my frockcoat and ruffs the car would be a second faster, and I was having none of that.  I would have driven round Snetterton naked if they hadn't warned me about loose filings on the seat.   Ian joined me, he said afterwards that he had always driven like that for his previous team.  We were both completely pickled and went some tenths faster, though it was quite drafty to say the least.  The mechanics weren't keen on the H-16 either, the ones that didn't explode took all their nights to fix.  The only unit that had lasted long enough to be clapped out they handed over to Lotus, and Clark won with it.  The mechanic with the guitar, Jim, told me that they blamed Chapman for the H-16 anyway.  Apparently Honda had sent Chapman a V12 and a request for a partnership and Chapman had decided to stall them while he had a Coventry Climax flat-16 built.  Honda then had to run their own car.  The Climax 16 failed, but when the new three litre formula was announced Loot told Chapman that we could build a replacement for him.  So that was two good British firms as well as Honda p’d off and then he sold out to Ford and a V8….

Tom caught up with me at the track, I was watching practice without my pit pass.  Well it made Clark’s career.  He was scornful.  ‘If you want to get your back end out more, use the throttle, not the Dutch police,’ he commented  ‘And they've arrested Burt already, anyway.  For not watching during practice.  Apparently he might not only get thrown off the premises but get thrown out of a series, though it's not ours.’ 
  ‘So what's it to do with us?’
  ‘It’s the same police, Jack.  Stop wasting your time, you've got to get suited up.’
   ‘Tom, this gear might not be very impressive, but it is my suit.  Also, I was considering wearing less.  Surtees races in his string vest.’
    ‘Not your driving suit Jack.   You’re to do some mod stuff for one of Loot's daughters.  Turtleneck sweaters, lounge pants and suits.  And no need to shave.  If you do it he might let you off Monaco until next year, if you win in the States of course.’
    An offer I couldn't refuse.  I must have seemed less than impressed, because Tom hastily came up with another carrot.  ‘And you'll both get helmets with signatures in picked out in top-quality gold, as we planned if you won last time out.  I've had them made up already.’
   ‘Hang on Tom, I told you that I wanted to do mine again, add more of a flourish to it.’
   ‘You better look at this first, Jack.’  He handed me my new bling helmet, very fancy.  There was a signature on the side, inlaid in gold, with a few diamonds sprinkled about.  Sort of squiggly, but clear enough.  ‘Graham Hill’, it said…..

In the pits I had a look around for that Honda, but it didn't seem to have shown up, less chance of being deliberately rammed off the track then.  Probably off practicing some kind of martial arts that relies on speed, surprise and completely outwitting the opponent, like taking aim at their rear wheel at twenty miles an hour.  I would have mentioned it to Tom, but that would have risked hearing the tale of the ‘Mexican Grand Prix of 1964’ again, and at the point where Bandini gets in the elevator I would just have cracked and had to back off.  Know your limits.  However, I did spot that the other Phoenix driver had turned up for the race, dunno why last year's champions could only afford to hire one car between them, perhaps they could move to a single chassis, cut their costs.  The Eagles have the Weslake V12.  I suppose hiring a Cooper supports the revival of the British car industry since they've agreed to be rid of the old Maserati engine next season, though you could try telling that to Colin Chapman. 

I was pleased with my qualifying time, under 1:28 and I managed to get a couple of full fuel laps in as well, there was going to be no problem with the fronts at Zandvoort.   There was a bunch of cars only slightly faster and it looked set for a good race, but it never seemed to happen.  There was a pile up that I had to dodge, then I was racing an Eagle, then it span and after that I was miles behind the leaders.  One or two of them span and dropped back briefly, but I wasn't close enough that pushing would have made much of a difference, and when the Eagle re-passed me it span off again on the same lap.  Perhaps if I hadn't DNF’d the last three races I would have taken more chances, but as it was I almost stopped at the hint of anything happening ahead of me and came sixth.  Will won for Crash’n’Burn, his first of the season and a 1-2 for them, champagne and a BBQ.  I’d eaten earlier, perhaps I lacked motivation.  I wonder how much an ornamental ‘Graham Hill- Marvel of Monaco’ helmet will be worth a few decades on? 
Art

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:43:47 AM +0100 »

Sorry I didn't make this one but my brain must have been all over the place and I tried to get in at just after 9 thinking I'd make the praccy.  oops censored

Gratz to Will and Phil. Great job guys. 

C ya all at the next one.  Grin

Crash 'n' Burn Racing

GPL Rank -20.810

UKGPL-Season 15
oAo - Season 9
Bully
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:23:27 AM +0100 »

Hi all,
       Sorry couldnt make this one, was my Mothers Birthday so was out for a slap up Meal! Smiley

Grats to Will and Phil, Great Result for CnB once again.

Replay and other stuff uploaded @ http://www.neurology-crew.com/gplserver

Cheers,
       Bully.

GPL Rank -14.558 GPLMOG +90.635
Total Rank Quest 307 tracks to go!
Total MOG Quest 2938 tracks to go!
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:46:49 AM +0100 »

Hi all,
       Sorry couldnt make this one, was my Mothers Birthday so was out for a slap up Meal! Smiley

Grats to Will and Phil, Great Result for CnB once again.

Replay and other stuff uploaded @ http://www.neurology-crew.com/gplserver

Cheers,
       Bully.
Thanks Chris for uploading the replay so quickly  thumbup1

My compliments to you for taking care of your mom for her birthday. Give her our regards and wish her happy birthday on our behalf.

... and tell her what a wonderful son she has Smiley

Steven Foster
Former UKGPL Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:01:08 PM +0100 »

My compliments to you for taking care of your mom for her birthday. Give her our regards and wish her happy birthday on our behalf.

Mom? MOM?

Curse you American media  Angry!

Not your fault Kruger, but in British English it's MUM.

Grin
Will Tway

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:32:54 PM +0100 »

Nice story there Jack.  Grin

Sorry to race and run last night but the wife was furious and I had to at least try to make amends....whilst scrounging for some leftover BBQ. .

Got a PB in Qually and had the Eagle dialed in. Having missed the last two events, I was glad to be back.  It was nice to see several new drivers in the field as well. I think I only played in the sandbox one time, which has to be some sort of record in my expiring career at Zandy.

Fun as always.

Grats to Phil and Ian.

See y’all in Germany.
Hopefully Chris and Art will be back.

Will

bound to cover just a little more ground
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:53:57 PM +0100 »

Race results are imported. You may now submit your incident reports.

Kruger

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:45:43 PM +0100 »

Managed a new PB in qually which was good enough for second in the grid but I was never going to get near team mate Will in the Eagle.  Great to get a front row lockout for Crash and Burn.

Got a good start and tried to hang on to Will’s Eagle but he gradually pulled away.  I had far more to worry about behind me, Ian’s Eagle all over my gearbox.  Managed to pull enough of a gap through the twisty bits to give Ian a lot to do under braking into T1, the obvious passing place for the Eagle.  Fortunately for me Ian tried a bit too hard on lap 4 and he spun giving me some breathing space.  I tried to settle down and stick in some fast consistent laps and try to build a bit of a cushion over Bernie, one of my regular sparing partners this season, who had taken up the chase after Ian’s demise. 

I’d built up a decent gap but then on lap 7 I was confronted by a Honda marooned on the racing line at Panoramabocht (in his haste to get out of the way for race leader Will, Dennis had clipped the grass and spun – no need to panic when you are about to be lapped just drive your normal line, the race leaders will get past in their own time.  It’s much easier to lap drivers who are driving predictably rather than taking unusual and unpredictable lines whilst trying to make room).  There were no yellow flags and there was nothing I could do, I hit Dennis plumb square which fortunately for me didn’t damage the suspension.  I was able to continue without a shift R and without loosing any places but I’d lost my cushion and Bernie was big in my mirrors.  In my efforts to keep Bernie at bay I outbraked myself into Tarzanbocht on lap 9 and lost 2 places to Bernie and Ian.  Undeterred I set off after them and thanks to them trying to outbrake each other at Tarzan on lap 11 I got second place back.  Although I was so busy watching them I got my braking a bit wrong and nearly followed them onto the grass! 

By now Will was away and gone so I tried to drive steadily and consolidate my second place.  But Ian hadn’t given up and by the last lap he was almost on me again but the chequered flag came out just in time.  Grats Will, maximum points for Crash and Burn Cheesy.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 12:23:22 AM +0100 »

Not to hot on qually and I had been late on the grid but second row 4th wasnt too bad. Zandy is a place where it takes time to get into the rythm and I was having trouble finding the correct tempo. I was initially being hotly persude by me old sparring partner Butenheimer (Famous U Tube producer , autographs available cheap) . By dint of the usual careful manouvering I scraped my way up to 2nd place but lap11 saw me chuck it away at Tarzan when Ian's flying eagle soared by me at warp speed and I followed him up the bank. Now the crazy thing about this was he had been catching me fast for the last few laps and I was having trouble finding the brake pedal (which wasnt always in the same place ,thanks to a "floating " office chair) so I was braking earlier and carefully , I took the inside line this time around , expecting Ian to go the quick way around on the "normal" line . I think it was just the shock of seeing him come flying up the inside that made me momentarily lose concentration and my brake point and the result was I ended up in the sand trap on fairway No 3. I had to fetch a sand wedge to drive out of there and by the time I got mobile again the race for me was more or less over , drove me goolies off in the hope that some kind sole would cause a multi pile up but instead of finding the rythm I think I found the lost chord .Or should that be "lost cause"

Grats to the podium, looking forward to meeting you all again at Nurbs . I have already ordered my tight leather shorts ,long socks , fancy braces, and a 2ltr beer stien for the post race celebrating.   

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 12:39:48 AM +0100 by bernie » Logged
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 01:02:39 AM +0100 »

Mom? MOM?

Curse you American media  Angry!

Not your fault Kruger, but in British English it's MUM.

Grin

Mum?  Thats for you posh gits , its Ma where I come from  Roll Eyes

bindonblood

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 01:18:27 AM +0100 »

made a complete mess of it got lapped a few times struggled with the car when moving out of the way when getting lapped i either clipped the grass or span out when letting off the gas  and for the next race ill think ill drive the safety car stay out of every bodys way
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:33:49 AM +0100 »

made a complete mess of it got lapped a few times struggled with the car when moving out of the way when getting lapped i either clipped the grass or span out when letting off the gas  and for the next race ill think ill drive the safety car stay out of every bodys way
Dennis, perhaps you should have a go with another car like Cooper or Ferrari which I find much more forgiving than Honda... Or its maybe just the setup that doesn't give you enough confidence?

Please feel free to share your conundrums with the group, I'm sure we can help somehow Smiley

Kruger

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 10:35:53 AM +0100 »

I wouldnt recommend changing track position when being lapped , the best method is to keep on the "usual" line and perhaps slow (lift off the gas ) a little , but avoid sudden and unusual manouvers , hard braking,  etc.

If your losing control when lifting the throttle It would suggest you are using a set up designed more for an alien than a humanoid. Also the Honda is known to be tail happy which wont help your cause , as Kruger says a diffent car should help. Cooper, Ferrari , or Eagle are very pleasant to drive as they are much more forgiving to drive  , esp the Cooper 

What differential ratio and clutches do you currently using ? The correct choice of diff is vital for smooth car control. as are suspension rates and heights , bump rubber settings and front/rear roll bar ratio's.

Why not post your current settings here and we can perhaps make suggestions 
which would hopefully help you to better drivng .

Having said all that Monaco , Zandvoort and the coming soon  Nurburgring are not the tracks of choice for learning about GPL car physics and car control.

We all want you to improve so you can better enjoy the GPL experience .

Smiley

Art

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 11:38:47 AM +0100 »

We've all been there m8 so don't worry too much.  Smiley I remember my 1st season in GPL and WOW what an eye opener. lol I managed to speak to a friend who pointed me to http://www.sim-replays.de/

These set ups helped me a lot to lower my GPL Rank and get used to the cars but the only thing that I would really change is the brake bias. I personally started at 56 and now I'm becoming more confident (after 4years  Grin) I'm now at around the 52 mark. Like Bernie said though, try a different car. I chose the Eagle but the Fezza is a nice one and also the Cooper.

You will definately improve and we all want you to so don't get too disheartened.  Smiley

Crash 'n' Burn Racing

GPL Rank -20.810

UKGPL-Season 15
oAo - Season 9
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com