Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 02:11:10 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S15 Silverstone: July 15, 2008
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 15 - Silverstone (GP 1952-73) - Jul 15  (Read 3115 times)
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:45:37 PM +0100 »

UKGPL Season 15 - Fun race - 65 mod - Silverstone

This is a test race for the proposed beginners division.  The current Season 16 proposal is for the 65 mod league races to alternate with the 66 mod races on Tuesday nights, should a schedule be published the race nights will not then be altered.  If you have problems installing the 65 mod, just post on the thread. If you haven't used the 65 cars before, be aware that though they're far easier to drive they have no proper default setups of their own- you'll have to download one, or alter the gearing.  There are default setups available if you need one, just use the link below.     

Pre-Season Test - Season 15 Tuesday July 15 at 9:00 p.m. London UK time (BST).

Please be in IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server 3.ukgpl
IP address  87.194.135.42

Race date = 15-07-2008
Track = Silverstone GP 1952-73
Variant = 65mod
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qually time = 20 minutes.
Race length = Short (12 laps)

Password: see above
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:07:40 PM +0100 »

The 1965 season was the last to use the controversial 1500cc formula which had begun after 1960, to the initial advantage of Ferrari.  The 1965 cars are smaller than the 1967 cars and have less torque and hence more grip.  It was claimed that they 'cornered on rails', however this allowed the Grand Prix series to retain the use of circuits which were otherwise to prove extremely dangerous.

The 1965 cars are ideal for those new to GPL as they allow the tracks to be learnt in light reliable cars, however these are also full Formula One cars, and quite fast....  Jim Clark won the 1965 Silverstone Grand Prix from pole in a Lotus.  His qualifying time was 1'30.8.

David Wright's 'Legends' site http://fp.gplegends.plus.com/ has the download of the most recent 2.0.1 version (under 'details') as well as being an exceptional guide to both 1965 and 1967, for those interested in Formula One history.

Unfortunately the current 65 mod download does not have default setups.  Default setups for all the cars and tracks that are likely to be used can be downloaded from http://www.neurology-crew.com/gplserver under '65 setups'.  Note that you will have to add enough fuel for the race, whether short or long!
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:09 PM +0100 »

Good fun tonight.

I had a prang or two in race 1 and ended up for most of the race on my own.

Race 2 qualified p2 and ran with Clive for a lap or 2, with his spiked tyres  Grin seemed to be able to pull away, even on the grass!  Ended up spinning a couple of times and found myself out on my own again.  I need practice racing with people now, so I waited for Phil who had fallen back due to an earlier incident.  Then I couldn't catch him, was about a second back all the time lol.

Good time though, really good learning value.  Cheers.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
karlisss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:17:50 AM +0100 »

that was a great fun!!!
in first race i lost P3 at the last lap
but in 2nd race i had exiting batle for P1 for some final laps i also did some lead laps,,,, and unfortunetley lost P3 at the pre-last corner of the race Cheesy
anyway that was amaizing:))

GPLrank67 +39.5
GPLrank65 +44.5
http://www.karlisvitols.com
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:10 PM +0100 »

Hi guys,

Sorry I missed this race, I really wanted to take part, but I was just not ready in time. I thought it would be best if you didn’t keep coming across me every lap while I struggle to stay on track. I just can’t drive Silverstone yet.

Sounds like everyone had fun, is there any results with laptimes anywhere, just so I can compare my times?

What is the next track? I’ll start practicing ASAP.

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:33:22 PM +0100 »

Hi guys,

Sorry I missed this race, I really wanted to take part, but I was just not ready in time. I thought it would be best if you didn’t keep coming across me every lap while I struggle to stay on track. I just can’t drive Silverstone yet.

Sounds like everyone had fun, is there any results with laptimes anywhere, just so I can compare my times?

What is the next track? I’ll start practicing ASAP.

These races are around for just that reason, you'd have got more used to the track as you went.  The proposed season is for beginners to learn better, quicker.  Already it has helped me and I have only done 4 meetings (2 x 2 races) with this.  Ok I do other racing in GPL, but I am very much a beginner and this is superb for improving all areas of you GPL driving.  Honestly, don't let your feelings think you are too slow, too inconsistent, overall not good enough to take part in the races, you are.  It's what this class is all about.  Dodging spinning cars (normally mine Wink ) all adds to the fun.

Anyway, we need as much intrest as we can get or the season may not happen, and that wont help anyone!

Grin

Steve

flyingkiwi69

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:03:47 PM +0100 »

Hey Happyal! I would have loved to have someone at the back with me!!! 
This was my best race to date...I almost managed to not spin off twice Undecided
And the BIG new experience for me was to not be lapped by anyone!!!  Thanks to a crash or two by others I actually managed to be in front of a couple of people for a lap or two!!!  Thanks again guys, see you all out there on the tracks Cheesy

Jon
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:25:29 PM +0100 »

Spinning off or crashing isn't usually a problem , even the aliens do it on a regular basis .

It's when re joining the track after the event that can often cause mayhem to other drivers , that is when you need to make a quick stock of the situation and re join with care if possible .

Having said that , we all need to learn the ins and outs of track etiquette and the best way to learn is by doing as much race time as poss .

So get yer ass in gear , join in , and have FUN !

Smiley

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:47:21 PM +0100 »

Yes yes yes!!!  These races are set up precisely for people new to GPL to have the opportunity to experience on-line racing without pressure. The ONLY way to learn about it is to DO IT...we all had to go through the learning curve.
Racing around on your own or against the computer controlled opposition is ok, but not the same as human opposition taking differing lines and making human mistakes.
The purpose of these races is to give you the chance to join in and race when there is no championship or points to be won or lost and no one is going to criticise, but rather, offer helpful and constructive advice.

Kiwi, amongst others, is learning quickly and improving race by race, and I am sure you will too.
So come and join the fun, because that is what it is meant to be. You will do some less than perfect things,,,,you will make mistakes....you will feel a numpty at times, I know  I still do Wink, but no matter how long you delay you will still have to do a FIRST on line race sometime!!! so make it the next one.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:09:04 PM +0100 »

Thanks guys,

I'll do my very best to do the next race, any idea what track it will be at?

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:18 PM +0100 »

Don't think it's decided yet.

Steve

Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 10:29:51 PM +0100 »

The two sprint format seems to work well for the fun races, though the league races will be int long as the short distances put too much pressure on a good start for league racing, and don't create as much atmosphere.  If we don't run a league next season we might continue the fun races instead.

The next track is an addon track, East London.  Jonathan Merry's track is here: http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?dis=E   You might also want an update, either the Balue update from the SRMZ link or this Caballero update: http://gplmz.bcsims.com/index.php?showtopic=238

East London is good for these races because of the large run-off, whereas the armco at Mexico keeps accidents on the track.  UKGPL have run either mostly original tracks, or a historic season, for the previous leagues.  Since Monaco and Nurburgring aren't well suited that leaves nine tracks.  Kyalami will be replaced by East London, the historic 65 track.  I was also going to substitute Mosport, which wasn't used in 1965, and Rouen and Mexico, though Rouen isn't as bad as Mexico and all these tracks can be good in the 65s.  It isn't decided yet and we can use more original tracks if that is the general preference.   
karlisss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 10:31:09 PM +0100 »

indeed
in this league i realy LOVE
that there is NO POINTS.... just race for enjoy and earning expieriance of online racing with GPL, whitch is much complicated than other sims, like F1C rF or GTR

GPLrank67 +39.5
GPLrank65 +44.5
http://www.karlisvitols.com
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 11:03:49 PM +0100 »

I used Race 1 for the results this time so as to get Kiwi onto the database at last!  The records are only kept for about six weeks for the fun races, so if there's anything wrong it can be corrected before we move to a league next season.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com