Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 12:29:59 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S15Dc Oulton Park: August 03, 2008
August 03, 2008, 09:21:49 PM +0100 - Oulton Park (International) - UKGPL Season 15 (2008) Clubmans
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 2 +0.818
103.741mph
1 29:30.294
101.100mph
18 1:35.933
103.647mph
Firestone  
Jack O'Ferrall
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 3 +1.565
102.938mph
2 +0.454
101.074mph
18 1:36.745
102.777mph
Goodyear  
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 4 +2.940
101.494mph
3 +27.872
99.533mph
18 1:36.808
102.710mph
Goodyear  
Ian Stanley
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 1 1:35.028
104.634mph
4 +57.513
97.919mph
18 1:35.645
103.959mph
Goodyear  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 7 5 +1L
93.938mph
17 1:38.085
101.373mph
Goodyear  
Burtoner
 The Coopermen
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 5 +5.676
98.736mph
6 +17L
91.412mph
1 1:46.990
92.935mph
Disco
Firestone  
3 UKGPL67

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 6 8 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

The final round of this season's Clubmans league saw some of the usual suspects with their transporters and luxury motorhomes at Oulton Park.
Thankfully, for this moderator, you guys were most considerate and managed to keep my work load quite light.

There was really only one incident of note, but that managed to involve about half of the field, although not necessarily all at once!.
Bernie had avoided the snarl up at Knicker Brook and had slipped into a very comfortable lead by the end of Lap 2, after a professional pass on Ian approaching Lodge corner at the end of lap 1. A position which Bernie was to hold all the way to the chequered flag.
Congratulations to Bernie on a commanding victory and to all those who did their best to prevent it, at Oulton Park and throughout the season.

Server replay time: 0h03m37s

Lap 2 - Knicker Brook

Robert Burton cuts the corner and clips the bush on the inside of Knicker Brook, causing him to lose control and half spin to form a perfect road block directly in the path of Ian Stanley. Ian promptly "T" bones Burt sending him on a butterfly hunt in the long grass and bouncing himself onto the outer grass verge.

Mike Turner is the following car and loses the rear end as he takes Knicker Brook and ends up sideways facing the inside of the corner without making contact with anyone or anything.

As Mike attempts to get moving again, Ian Stanley is also trying to rejoin and Ian goes for the space directly between the front of Mike's car and the grass verge.

Unfortunately that is exactly the piece of tarmac that Mike has to use in order to turn his car in the right direction. Ian hits the side of Mikes car and Mike loses a wheel, but Ian appears undamaged in his cast iron BRM and continues on his way.

Mike drives his 3 wheeled Eagle as far as Druids before parking it in the undergrowth and performing a SHIFT-R.

There are three separate incidents here:

Burt lost control and his incident was exacerbated after he was T boned by following Ian. It was quite obvious that Burt was going to lose control so Ian ought to have been more careful and slow down but he was very close following Burt and its always difficult to estimate the speed at which the car ahead is leaving the circuit.

- Burt is entitled to a no fault Shift R as he wouldn't need one due to his own incident. Warning for Ian Stanley.

As Ian tries to rejoin, he gives his best not to jeopardize anyone on the track and he tries to go around the stationary Eagle of Mike Turner. Unfortunatelly, Mike moved at that very moment when Ian was passing by and a minor contact occurred between himself and Ian - certainly, contact was not of such magnittude to rip the wheel off the Eagle so I will grant a no fault Shift R to Michael.

- Racing incident

However, Michael Turner sees his wheel fly off and should have immediatelly reset his car as he was obviously unable to continue the race with three wheels only. Whilst limping towards Druid corner, Mike tries to prevent Ian Stanley from passing him.

I will caution this now as I've issued an advice earlier this season in Monaco. When the car is damaged to the point where its impossible to race at competitive speed, its not right nor fair as the approaching cars travel at far greater race speed.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 15 Clubmans - Oulton Park (International) - Aug 3  (Read 9979 times)
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:04:49 AM +0100 »

UKGPL Season 15 Clubmans Cup - Round 19 - Oulton Park - Aug 3rd

Gentlemen, welcome to the final round of the championship, see race announcement below.

Wish you all good luck.

Kruger

Please be in the UKGPL IGOR chat-room by 20:25 BST.

Server 3.ukgpl
IP address 87.194.135.42
Race date = 03-08-2008, 20:30 BST
Track = Oulton Park
Race length = Int Long (18 laps)

Qualifying time = 35 minutes. Don't start until 30 mins left on
clock to
allow everyone to join.

CHASSIS RESTRICTIONS
The following groups of drivers are restricted to the cars shown
below unless they opt to carry out additional pit stops to equalise
the performance of the car that is chosen:-

Group 1 - 1st and 2nd - Limited to BRM, Cooper or Honda
Bernie Darwin
Phil Thornton

Group 2 - 3rd and 4th - Limited to BRM, Cooper, Honda or Eagle (Please note that Eagle is allowed in group 2)
Will Tway
Chris Bull

Group 3 - 5th and 6th - Cannot take Ferrari or Lotus
Artur Le Marquand
Ian Docherty

Group 4 - 7th and 8th - Cannot take Lotus
Robert Burton
Ian Stanley

9th and below - Free choice of chassis.

PIT STOPS FOR DRIVERS OPTING TO USE FASTER CAR THAN ALLOWED ABOVE
Drivers wishing to take a chassis other than as specified above will
need to make the appropriate pit stop(s) as follows:

Group 1
Lotus 1 x 32 or 2 x 11
Ferrari 1 x 17
Brabham 1 x 9
Eagle 1 x 3

Group 2
Lotus 1 x 19
Ferrari 1 x 4
Brabham SnG

Group 3
Lotus 1 x 13
Ferrari Stop n Go

Group 4
Lotus 1 x 5

The pit window is as follows:

Pit stop is to be taken between 15 and 10 to go on your pit board. If you have to take a second stop, it has to be carried out between 13 and 10 laps to go on your pitboard

Password: see above
(2) Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

iRacing alias: Nihad Gluscic
Will Tway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:13:32 PM +0100 »

Kruger,

Which version of this track are we racing?

I have V2 on my hard drive...is this the right one?

Tks,

Will

bound to cover just a little more ground
Kruger Enge
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:27:27 AM +0100 »

No Will, its the standard version (track folder: oulton)

iRacing alias: Nihad Gluscic
Will Tway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:32:47 PM +0100 »

Tks Kruger.

I noticed you're quite fast round here. 1:32.xxx.

Still have that old fez set-up?   Grin

Cheers,

W

**Also, why the Eagle in group 2? Just curious.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:34:59 PM +0100 by Will Tway » Logged

bound to cover just a little more ground
Burtoner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:17:06 PM +0100 »

bout time to get this race out of way what a crap season its been, and hopefully my last!

UKGPL Season 14 Club Champion
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:30:41 PM +0100 »

bout time to get this race out of way what a crap season its been, and hopefully my last!

Well we love you too Burt.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:18:21 PM +0100 »

I'm going to treat myself here and take the car that I most enjoy driving as opposed to the one I seem to be quickest in.

Take those dust covers off the brabham please chaps, it's time to go enjoy some green laps again.

Grin

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:42:06 PM +0100 »

Blimey Burt, that's a bit much isn't it.  Especially when so many people have toiled behind the scenes to make UKGPL a possibility. 
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 04:17:07 PM +0100 »

A lot would be pleased with the 2 seasons results you've had Burt , why all the whining? your begining to sound like a 747 at take off   Roll Eyes

and to be honest the "crap" results you've had this year were all your own work .

on another theme , can we be sure this sunday is  "Oulton 67"  ( the John Black version )

Wouldn't want all the opposition going to the wrong venue   Cheesy

Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 07:04:13 PM +0100 »

name=Oulton Park Spring Cup
shortname=Oulton Park
trackDirectory=oulton

The one Robbie and Paul smartened up.  18 laps is quite short though, since Oulton is shorter than Silverstone...?  Too late to change it this season?
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:09:03 AM +0100 »

REED, MARQUE, LEARN: THE JACK O’FERRALL STORY

Oulton Park August 3

“Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay?
Would it be a sin?
If I can't help falling in love with you”

With the local boy about to become champion there was a big crowd at sunny, leafy, Tarporley for the August Gold Cup.  The bunting was out, they had men with jetpacks strapped to their backs demonstrating the future of commuting, and Elvis impersonators with “Go Bernie” suits…. ‘Jim?’
  ‘Oh, hello Jack, something need checking?  Be with you in a few minutes.’  Off he launched into the next chorus.  Elvis was into leathers, he would never get into threads like those, sort of a mechanics outfit with spangles and flares added.  Wise men also say that madness brings to light the real problem.  'The drivers are what Reed Racing is about, Jim.'  No wonder they criticised Bell’s H-16 for having a high centre of gravity.  Tom sauntered past.
   ‘Nil desperandum, Tom,’ I saluted him, which I'd got out of Loot’s book, it means without worry, if you don't know Latin.  He was still a git, but it was difficult not to enjoy the sunshine.  
  He smiled.  ‘I'd avoid water as a subject if I were you Jack.’  What the hell was he on about?  ‘Hill crashed into the pond at Esso the other day, Loot'll imagine you're trying to put one over.’  So two of them had gone crazy, must be the English sunshine and the end-of-season atmosphere.  I wish having a team of crazies would make a double crankshaft engine more efficient!  He seemed relaxed enough though.  ‘Bell's been on at him as well, says a great engineer needs a great test driver, so he wants one for next season.  Ian wins races- you do what, exactly?  Dodge the local constabulary?’  Sit in front of the white hot heat of Bell's take on the future of  British technology, if Tom's marketing was to be believed.   Not that Tom was bothered about the patriotic side of it, he'd still be wearing tailored suits if the rest of England had been replaced by bio-robots driving Heinkels.  ‘Or you've met up with some motor racing fans, they've been throwing rocks at you?’  
  He was just upset because I'd refused to be involved in any of his stunts this week.  The distractions had cost me places and points, and I wanted a hundred points this season, get that off my back.  The rocks jibe was probably a sly reference to my famous ancestor, who, when he wanted to build a city in the marsh, refused to allow stonemasons to work anywhere else!  Simplicity with genius.  ‘It's just jealousy,’ I said ‘Peter the Great invented the beard tax.’  This riposte left him in some confusion.  ‘P- off Jack.’  However, after this merry banter, he had some serious news.  Loot was also concerned about my credibility as a Reed driver.  Crunch time.

My heart was thumping.  When the flag drops, as Brabham would say… In feudal times, the start of a battle would be signalled by the planting of a banner.  This was no different.  ‘Mr. O'Ferrall?  Milord will be pleased to see you now.’  It's always troubled me that Britain is famous for butlers.  Fiery passion, sexy women- that would be a reputation worth fighting over.   Even rapid pizza delivery, like the Americans, had some merit, if you were a race driver.  Which I was and hoped to continue to be.  However, I might have underestimated Loot's disappointment with this season.    ‘O'Ferrall, you are trite, vain, and hopelessly inept behind a wheel.  Reed Racing is better off without your sort.  Drink this.’  I gulped it down and tasted it afterwards. A goldfish beginning to dissolve in neat whiskey.  ‘Not fast enough.  Take your top off.’  What and leave my pants on?  They would only cramp my style.  I grabbed the remaining broadsword just in time to parry his first drink-fuelled lunge, though I was forced to cede some ground.  He whirled his sword around his head ‘This is for taking both my cars out at Rouen.’  That would have hurt.  ‘This is for Monaco.’   Handy these antique torch-holders, while they lasted.  I was forced out of the hall into the corridor, then out of the corridor into the gardens.  He pressed me back against a wall with the sheer vehemence of his attack, and I had no further space to run to.  I could see the detestation in his eyes.  ‘All I wanted out of racing,’ I gasped ‘was that they call me “Fast” O'Ferrall.’  It was only a dismissive, angry laugh, but the slightest of respites gave me time to take stock of the situation, and when he came in for the kill I surprised him further by switching to my left hand.  ‘You’re not a left-hander,’ he rasped, before I hit him over the head with a fence post, which some untidy servant had thoughtlessly left lying around.  And I had saved my drive for another season, by all the laws of the land recognised by those of blood and noble breeding.  

With the grid shrunk by us having gone on into summer I was on the second row, though I then made possibly my worst start of the season.  Ian had pole, but lost the lead and a few laps later got tangled up with an out-of-sorts Burt, and I passed them for second- and kept it, then happened upon a recovering Bernie.  Would Jack O'Ferrall pass the champion on his home track for a first win?  No.  Would the vengeful Burt retaliate for the success of the Soggies without him, by ambushing Bernie late in the race?  No, Burt had already quit.  Still, it was the more likely option, and I kept hoping for it to the flag.  Champagne for Bernie and the Soggy Bottom Boys, a championship won in style.  I had a second podium, Reed were third, we'd have better pits next season, that had to count for something.  

Great God this is an awful place.  ‘Hang on,’ said Tom.  You can't write that.’  
‘It’s the end Tom, the author gets to reveal the machinery of his devices, all the best stories have it.’
‘All you know about machinery you got from one article on my engine,’ Bell objected.  ‘Otherwise you couldn't tell a bore from a Lockheed oleo-pneumatic strut.’
‘This isn't an awful place, this is Cheshire,’ Loot observed.  ‘Newcastle, that's an awful place, they're malicious and deformed, in league with demons that want to exterminate the human race.  Or Liverpool, they're worse.  Cheshire is amiable enough.  Pleasant even.’
I just wanted to make the point that writing, like gaming, is a form of exile from the self, and that previous generations have faced the same challenge.  ‘Get on with it then.’  I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.  We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker, of course, and the end cannot be far.  It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more.  It's been a fabulous season.  Thank you very much.
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 09:57:39 AM +0100 »

Grats to Bernie for his Clubmans championship ( subject to moderation- plain brown envelope dropped at the usual spot should see you ok), and to all of the regulars who ( mostly) seem to have enjoyed the season. Roll Eyes Hopefully some of Dave's noobies in the 65 Beginners League will graduate to Clubmans in due course and swell the numbers. Which, of course means that some of you more talented drivers might swell the ranks of Div1 ??

Just in case there were any un-gentlemanly acts at Oulton ( you know the sort of thing, ....the odd expletive...letting tyres down.....syphoning fuel  etc.), please lodge the usual complaints with a time and place and it will be reviewed.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Ian Stanley

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 12:40:46 PM +0100 »

Quite enjoy this place....even if it does bite

Had spent the day clearing out the in-laws loft ready for them having some work done on the roof etc and as we had some stuff in there, they popped it round at 20:00, 'Arrrgggghhh'
Got online at 20:35. Went to join the race and the pc dropped back out on me...tried again, same result. Mmmm it had worked fine in 66s a few weeks before. Tried it offline, same result. Ahhhh I'd had a problem with the disk a while back and somehow setup files had been corrupted, could it be that again, deleted the setup.def file from my drivers oulton folder and 'Yippeeee'
Got on and hadn't missed too much qual time, got on track and started plodding round. With about 4 mins to go managed to string it together to get a 1.35.something. and pole.

had a decent start and managed to keep Bernie behind for a couple of laps then span at cascades. Got going behind Burt, so now 3rd. Followed him for a lap and knew I was quicker through knickerbrook, so hung back to get the run, only to round the bend as he went sideways and torpedoed him amidships, luckily no damage to me. Think everyone else behind got caught in it.. eek... Got gooing along the inside  verge, at the same time as Mike. He lost a wheel, I lost a little paint but could continue. Passed Burt as he stopped for a picnic at Druids. Then spent the next few laps circulating in the 37s trying to settle down.
All seemed ok, so upped the pace and started to close on Steve a little, but it didn't look like it was going to be enough, which is when I made the mistake of pushing harder - some offs ensued, and 4th place was the best I could hope for.
Congratulations to Bernie on the win - and the championship!
Had some good racing this season, though choosing to run to Pro rules hit Reed racing hard in the early part of the season. Looking forward to S16, now must send Bethsuda back to the workshop, a few dints in the bodywork need taking out and a new paintjob.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 02:56:04 PM +0100 »

Team Soggies arrived at Oulton in pristine condition with nothing more to do than unload the car and check the oil and water levels ready to go . The latest  pringles dispenser had worked fine in pre race practise and was looking forward to a nice day in the country. At least that was the plan , but in reality the chief mechanic (who shall remain nameless due to pending court action ) had left the set up sheet at home , as a result , practise was spent wading through a long list of trial setups , searching in vain for the ideal . In the end 2nd place on the grid wasnt too bad .
After the dust and tyre smoke had settled I found we were chasing Ians BRM down to the Island bend , still concious of cold tyres I decided to sit back a little and await developments , things soon changed to my advantage when the BRM ran wide coming out of druids corner and I was able to pass him before lodge .
Over the next 6 or 7 laps I  pulled out a 9 or 10 secs advantage and was settling down for a lonely drive when my concentration began to wonder like a womans mind when making love ( the ceiling and paint syndrome ) so did not notice the rabbit  being chased by a pack of hounds across the track at cascades which caused me to do a 360 spin . having recovered both the car and my composure I could see I had company in the form of Dave (Jacko's ) BRM who was getting mighty close , so was pleased to find I could open the gap to him again without to much effort . The gap yo yo'd back and forth for the rest of the race , with one uncomfortable moment when coming into knickerbrook to find a car ( my first thought was Burt strike one! ) parked  broadsides across the track  , fortunatley the Brabham ? stayed put while I drove around the new temporary chicane .
After that it was just a matter of staying on track and not being too ambitious , I was more than suprised with the result which was helped by the depleted field .

I would like to say how much I have really enjoyed the season , you have all given some great moments to remember it by , I cant help thinking how much lady luck played her cards for me on more than one occasion throughout the season while dealing other more capable drivers a bum hand .

Thanks all  Smiley

b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:49:42 AM +0100 »

Good fun race.  Oulton was an intresting track to learn.  Clive L helped me out earlier in the week with some gear settings and I watched a replay lap of him doing a 1:33 to help me get a bit more speed.  Worked well.

I found the track a bit slippy, but I'm told it's a bumpy track.  I can't tell the difference! LOL

Anyway, ended up in P3! (Subject to moderating) Shame it was a reduced grid but you have to be there for it to count.

After getting clear of Burt, Ian and Mike following an incident I found myself behind Dave (Jack).  I did think about pushing to try and stay with and maybe put some pressure on Jack but decided to concentrate on trying to stay consistant and keep my line, hit the breaking points and ensure a reasonable finish.  Ian was making some ground and at one stage as he was visibly closing, as I was exiting Esso I could see him through Island, and each lap was a bit further along closer to me.  I began to push a bit more and got my PB which seemed to stabilise the gap a bit for a lap or two, but then Ian dissapeared again and by reading his report had an off.

The last few laps I had a big gap to P4 and backed right off not wanting to risk anything like a shift-R etc and lose the team some good points.

So champaign it was!  Grin

A really good season, my first being completely fresh to GPL, and online racing as a whole, so thanks to everyone involved, particularly the moderators, which can be a hard task for much of the time to keep it all fair.  Good job.

Look forward to the next one where I can hopfully get a bit quicker and challenge a few of you to some closer racing.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com