The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 20, 2024, 01:14:26 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old Dog and his Apprentice  (Read 47455 times)
JPS

The Late Great Steve McQueen at LeMans

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:25:05 PM +0100 »

Any of you who are into prop plane WW2 shooters like me, take a look at this little baby on the horizon for Feb 09.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pmlk99ENutw&feature=related
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:49:12 AM +0100 »

Lol yes, I have had it on pre order since 2006  Grin
Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:04:06 AM +0100 »

Oleg would say: "Two weeks. Be sure."

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 08:43:42 AM +0100 »

Will it be better than IL-2 FB and company?  Smiley
Steve Holmes
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:32:50 AM +0100 »

Ooh yeah baby!  This does look pretty damn good, like the shell casings and chunky sounds, probably require a new PC though.   Tongue

Yeah, it'll be another step (how large, dunno) up from IL2 TT.  Better graphics, more complex damage and flight models etc

I'm still getting loads of mileage out of IL2 online though (UKDedicated usually), anyone want to shoot me down I'm there, low and slow for ya.  Wink

psuedo
Pink Leader
Former Moderators

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:38:40 AM +0100 »

Must try this one....I'm still stuck on CF3 yet...dont get a lot of time to do new sims these days.  Sad

"I spend 95% of my money on women and booze. --The rest I just wasted." (Georgie Best)
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:39:28 AM +0100 »

I'm still getting loads of mileage out of IL2 online though (UKDedicated usually), anyone want to shoot me down I'm there, low and slow for ya.  Wink

Ask Jure - he's the IL2 instructor.  Smiley
Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 10:40:25 AM +0100 »

i used to love IL2, but simply ran out of time to fly it.  :'( You really need to be single to fully enjoy that sim!  Tongue

Breathtaking visuals and fantastic action, offline or on.  Cool Still got it on a spare hard disk with all the add-ons hoping one day my missus will get very bored with my company and i can re-don my flying helmet  Cheesy

Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:40:01 PM +0100 »

new game looks great.

there will also be moving traffic on ground (cities) by default, not just traffic that's included in the mission.

and, most importantly, we'll be able to fly "real missions", i.e. finally climb up there in 12+- hurries versus 1000+ of ze german planes. now that'll be a sight to see  Cool

can't wait.

----------------------------
Steve, what's your call sign?

Christian Szell: Oh, don't worry. I'm not going into that cavity. That nerve's already dying. A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive. So I'll just drill into a healthy tooth until I reach the pulp. That is unless, of course, you can tell me that it's safe.
JPS

The Late Great Steve McQueen at LeMans

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 03:51:48 PM +0100 »

Sounds like there is a lot of interest in this sim, maybe when its out some of us can hook up and test our skills in some cross channel dog fighting Shocked

IL2 has been fantastic off line for me, but could never find a decent on line site etc that compared to how the game played off line (ease of use,graphics, sounds etc) not to mention the difficulty of simply trying to work out HOW to get on line after having pressed the mulitiplayer button in game, I have a copy of 1946 IL2 with the relevant add ons if anybody can show me to the righteous path.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:55:01 PM +0100 by JPS1 » Logged
Ade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:06:00 PM +0100 »

Hi guys  Smiley i will keep my eyes open online and try to join you in IL2.
I fly as Captain Lockheed.
hope to shoot you down soon Grin

IF IT AIN'T BROKE....IT SOON WILL BE!!
Steve Holmes
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 04:44:24 PM +0100 »

new game looks great.

there will also be moving traffic on ground (cities) by default, not just traffic that's included in the mission.

and, most importantly, we'll be able to fly "real missions", i.e. finally climb up there in 12+- hurries versus 1000+ of ze german planes. now that'll be a sight to see  Cool

can't wait.

----------------------------
Steve, what's your call sign?

Did you play Rowan's BoB, that had that feeling of overwhelming odds, big formations of Heinkels, but slightly artificial plane behaviour.

I'm very unoriginal, just SteveH.  I do pretty much suck, but I thoroughly enjoy it!

JPS - you need to d/l Hyperlobby and connect to servers thru that, the multiplayer facility in il2:1946 itself isn't used.

Jure
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 05:08:39 PM +0100 »

Sounds like there is a lot of interest in this sim, maybe when its out some of us can hook up and test our skills in some cross channel dog fighting Shocked

IL2 has been fantastic off line for me, but could never find a decent on line site etc that compared to how the game played off line (ease of use,graphics, sounds etc) not to mention the difficulty of simply trying to work out HOW to get on line after having pressed the mulitiplayer button in game, I have a copy of 1946 IL2 with the relevant add ons if anybody can show me to the righteous path.

Nooooooooooo, you're missing 99% of fun.  Shocked

Right, short introduction to FB online is in order. Smiley

- http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads

Download hypperlobby client (HL). You will access lobby for flying dogfight or coop missions  (this is where all the action is, 1000 players online is nothing special)

Install.

Type in correct game path when game asks you where is ilFB.exe (if you mess it up - close HL, start it up again, then hold down SHIFT+CTRL or SHIT+ENTER to re-enter it, not sure. Nevermind, you'll figure it out).

You'll need to register too (pick "normal" name, don't go for Masterofdisaster or something stupid like that or else the whole HL will make fun out of you - on daily basis, starting about 2 secs after you join).

- http://www.goteamspeak.com/

Download TS2 client.

Install.

Whole flying community uses it for comms. IT IS A MUST, combat flying is a team sport and involves a LOT of communication except perhaps with suicidal types of pilots (avoid those like devil avoids the cross) or VERY VERY good lone wolfs. Which you are not - neither suicidal nor good. This is not a joke, DO NOT think you're any good cause you're not. AI is extremely predictable, humans aren't except perhaps noobs like, well, you.

Be humble. Ask questions and they shall be answered, it's a friendly bunch. Mostly.

Be serious at what you do, do not go into "it's just a game" mode (cause 99% of pilots online take it seriously, as a hobby of some sort and are, on average, probably a bit older than SROU guys).

Never leave the group. Ever (except when smoking and RTBing). Always help your buddies, DO NOT GO for an easy kill just in your reach if your buddy has someone on his six. Help him out first.

Or you'll soon fly alone.

Be polite, be a true gentleman, don't be cocky and NEVER brag how just shot down that guy/stuff like that or you'll create enemies faster than Hamilton does in the wet AND on "both sides of the conflict". Never forget there's always a 20mm shell out there with your name on it too. Or Mk108 one if you're having a bad day.

Try not to vulch people - shooting them down while they're taking off/landing cause it sux, bigtime. Except of course in clear case of "I had to", you know, if you fight someone for 15 mins then he decides to land ASAP - feel free to kill and eat him, he's a sucker (prof. term, sorry for foul mouth language Cheesy ). If you can afford it (you and your smoking half wing missing victim are all alone) try asking other guy to bail out. Saves ammo too. Wink If he doesn't bail - kill him, he's a moron and you like Darwinism (which is what is going on up there, trust me Wink )

Be especially polite with hosts, I was one for 5 years and I flew half the missons rest did. Why? Simple: you get killed - you fly next one, host can also get KIA but must wait out until last plane lands. They are the backbone of the community. Never try to hurry them into game start or annoy them in any other way - they know what they're doing, you don't, i.e. they're downloading missions and stuff while you're getting nervous. Be patient. They also have the magic ability of using "kick player" option.

While you'll be flying online you'll be told appropriate IP numbers for TS2 servers by your newly made best friends forever. Use them, can't stress that enough. Try flying missions with players from same squadron and ask one of them (usually host) if you can join them on TS2. TELL THEM YOU'RE NEW and would like to learn, most squadrons have plenty of people that will take you under their wing and help you survive. Which you won't at first or very rarely.

Offline experience is non-experience.

Join a good online squadron, preferably in your time zone and of your language/nationality. Flying comms are done in English anyway, but still... Try finding a squad that has some sort of weekly training sessions, if they don't have them - they're no good, walk away.

Don't fly on anything but full real settings (or just speed bar allowed), FR dogservers or coop missions have good/best pilots, rest are 13 y/o noobs, you won't enjoy that... sort... of... stuff or whatever that is.

Remember - when you start to fly full real your learning curve will shoot up like a rocket.

Most importantly: be afraid. Be very afraid. 

Feel free to PM me and we can meet online, it's a bit confusing at first, online is completely new ball game. We'll can do one of PE_Niko's (that's me  Roll Eyes) training session to see what you're made of  Grin Wink,

Mark J
Incident Moderators

Legend in his own lunchtime

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 05:43:48 PM +0100 »

think Steves call sign is 'Dead meat' or 'flaming candle' or somefink  Grin

is there still a vibrant FB community then? damn i missed out on lots of action and fun last few years.

Only sim racing has matched the adrenaline buzz i got sat on a runway with 11 other Focke-wulfes taking off into the sunlight for an online mission against another squadron. Cool-as  Cool

there were some serious ace flyers about tho who really knew their stuff. Easy to be cannon fodder despite untold hours of flying  Shocked

Reign Man

Team Pseudo Racing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 06:23:17 PM +0100 »

I've always wanted to get into flying sims.  I think Ill get this one when it eventually comes out...mmmn!.  Definately will be following this
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:57:48 PM +0100 by Reign Man » Logged

IRacing ID = Adam Kell
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com