Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 24, 2024, 04:08:09 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S16Dn Brands Hatch: January 06, 2009
January 06, 2009, 09:27:20 PM +0000 - Brands Hatch (GP) - UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Novice '65
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.643
96.925mph
1 40:13.421
94.824mph
24 1:39.626
95.712mph
Goodyear  
Asbjeurn Tverberg

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 3 +1.369
96.215mph
2 +58.078
92.596mph
24 1:39.565
95.771mph
Dunlop  
Geoff65
 Clark-Hill Racing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 6 +2.803
94.843mph
3 +59.824
92.530mph
24 1:40.011
95.344mph
Goodyear  
NHance

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 7 +3.042
94.618mph
4 +1:26.206
91.554mph
24 1:42.290
93.219mph
Dunlop  
norbert

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 5 +2.634
95.003mph
5 +1L
90.751mph
23 1:42.183
93.317mph
Dunlop  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 4 +1.980
95.626mph
6 +18.594
90.058mph
23 1:40.969
94.439mph
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +4.722
93.066mph
7 +49.418
88.932mph
23 1:42.879
92.686mph
Dunlop  
Clutch4

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 1 1:37.736
97.563mph
8 (+1) +5L
90.762mph
19 1:39.818
95.528mph
accident
Goodyear  
happyal

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 10 +6.038
91.886mph
9 +13L
86.426mph
11 1:45.104
90.724mph
Disco
Dunlop  
G Poole

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 9 +5.062
92.759mph
10 +22L
82.458mph
2 1:43.094
92.492mph
Disco
Goodyear  
4 UKGPL

Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 11 11 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

A disciplined run by Steve landed his second win, though it might have all been so different if it hadn't been for a collision between the leaders on lap one. Apart from that, it was quite a good showing by the Novices, who all got round T1 and Druids safely- and a solid debut from NHance.

As I've noted before, at this level I'm not going to penalise drivers for failing to stop-and-go after a reset, if they don't finish on the same lap as the leader.

Steve's win gives him enough points to contend for the title- if there's a possibility of a showdown at Monza, Sam will return to defend his championship lead!

Server replay time: 0h01m41s

Hawthorn L1

This was an unfortunate incident, as both drivers seemed to have the prospect of a great race. However, Clutch should have been aware that Asbjeurn was attempting to pass on the inside, and Asbjeurn achieved sufficient overlap to claim his share of the track.

If the lead car stays on the outside, the inside car often has to lose too much speed for the pass, so there's no need to move across.

I've waived the additional place for a Lap 1 incident, and the penalty points, due to inexperience. However, because Clutch needed to reset, he would have been penalised further for not taking a stop-go, had he finished. This might have seemed harsh, because he reset when unable to get back over the hedge onto the track, after spending some time searching for a gap!

Server replay time: 0h25m00s

Clearways L14

Asbjeurn cuts back in too soon when passing Norbert, but the contact between them is warp.

• Racing incident

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 16 (2008) Novice '65 - Brands Hatch (GP) - Jan 6  (Read 10284 times)
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 12:24:49 AM +0000 »

Well, I gotta say, I love the track.  It's a favorite of mine in real life too so that helps.

I must have done hundreds of laps here over the Christmas break, and I think it showed.  I had made it to a 1:37.1 recently and once I got the drift right around Surtees and good drive on to the straight, I could get 1:37's pretty frequently.  However....

Racing is a different ball game to fast lapping and I was conscious of previously making too many errors on cold tyres.  P2 off the grid soon turned into P3 by T1 with a flying Asbjeurn. He and C Clutch were away.  I didn't want to spin and, at risk of letting the guys get away I took it steady while keeping enough pace to maintain P3.

Then it looked like Asbjeurn had a crack at Hawthorn but came together with CC and they ended spinning/crashing.  I must have missed Asbjeurns' Ferrari by the width of Bernie's Cats whisker, but got through.

After that it was a case of put some steady laps together.  Geoff was falling back slowly at, what I think is fair to say, not his most loved track.  I was opening a good gap each lap pulling at least a second while not pushing my car.  It was a long way to go.

I held it all together and put in constant 1:40's with the odd 1:39, well within my limit and still pulling out.  Luck was siding with me tonight.  I put a few of the guys a lap down, and very many thanks to all of them who gave me bags of room.

Anyway, we brought it home with a lead of 58 seconds, which I can only really put down to everyone else's misfortune.

Congratulations to Asbjeurn (great recovery) and Geoff for the podium.

(all provisional of course Wink)

BT11 setup I used throughout, if anyones intrested CLICK HERE.  It's a slightly modified Dark setup from Silverstone!

It was a slightly emotional win for me actually.  I know at the end of the day GPL is a computer sim, and a damn fine one at that, but it still needs the heart of a racer to drive it, we all love racing, thats why we do it.  

Now, some of you may know that my passion lies with bike racing and pretty much all things bike!  I have followed racing all my life, inherited from my Dad.  But this year I had the misfortune to see an incident while watching the World Supersport race at Brands.  A young, very talented rider by the name of Craig Jones was in a close 3 way battle for the lead when while rounding clearways his tyres let go and he lost control of the Honda 600. Sadly, Andrew Pitt was that close that he could do nothing to avoid the stricken Jones as he spiralled along the track.  After initial treatment at the track and transfer to hopsital Jonsey was diagnosed with serious head injuries.  Tragically he lost the fight and died.

Now I hope you don't think I'm being a bit melodramatic but this win is for him and his family.  It's probably the closest I'll ever get to doing this sort of stuff for real so it's probably the only chance I'll get to say anything like this.

Ride free Jonsey.  RIP.

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 01:29:09 AM +0000 »

Now I hope you don't think I'm being a bit melodramatic but this win is for him and his family.  It's probably the closest I'll ever get to doing this sort of stuff for real so it's probably the only chance I'll get to say anything like this.
Ride free Jonsey.  RIP.

Good tribute, and a great win too
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 03:04:50 AM +0000 »

Ride free Jonsey.  RIP.

Lovely thought Steve.....I'm sure Craig would smile, and raise a can in salute.......all part of the natural affinity racers of all disciplines have for each other, and of course beer........Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:07:19 AM +0000 by Geoff65 » Logged

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 08:19:09 AM +0000 »

Bought a dog a couple of months ago and running around with him after a hard day at work is more fun than sitting in front of a PC. Did no laps practice and was thinking about cutting the walk short to get home for 9pm but too happy being outside on a cold dry night.

Hope to make the next one.

I know from where you speak Wink
Except my two dogs TELL ME when its time to go out!!?? Undecided and I often find myself sitting down at the computer still glowing form the exercise with a few minutes left until the start of a race....hardly the best preparation  lol.
You will have to explain to your dog that sometimes "a man has gotta do what a man has gotta do....... " He/she won't listen but at least you will have made your point  lol.

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 08:47:52 AM +0000 »

Amateur server replay here
http://www.planet-venom.co.uk/gpl/

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 09:17:19 AM +0000 »

Just wondering, but this race doesn't appear on the Championship Standings Table, just a link on the bottom for non-championship race.  Will it be included once all results are processed?

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 09:30:23 AM +0000 »

I think it gets added once the two classes have been sorted out and finalised  Smiley

Although I need putting out of my misery - Need to see how far down I've dropped and if the championship's still achievable  Sad
At least the Lotus 33 has a good chance at Brands in the 66's, which may help give me a (very small) chance of winning that instead  angel
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:56 AM +0000 »

Just wondering, but this race doesn't appear on the Championship Standings Table, just a link on the bottom for non-championship race.  Will it be included once all results are processed?

I noticed that too, it was definitely there in the standings before.

NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 12:42:59 PM +0000 »

Wink Smiley
Well , first off all :
I should penalized coz did pushed into Clive Loynes car at T2 after the start.
Which put him back to the end of the field.
Absolutely my fault , I simply brake too late or too less. SORRY.

Qualifying went great to me . PB  and starting out of 5th was quit comfortable theoretically .
But somehow I catch sort of  a second sleep and I  missed the moment green flag went down.
Guess I was more fixed on the circumstance my wheel wasn’t proper centred . (fine adjustment of the potentiometer slipped ).
Anyroads , due to luck I survived my stupid  entry at T2 and settled on 5th .Tried to kept this , still knowing drivers in front are much faster then me. But couple of laps later I managed to slip at T2 , even more worth , while working to bring the car back on track , I nearly stranded on top of the green wall right sight of T2. damned , was really afraid to end up there with no way to go except using shift-R. well , combination of clutch , R-gear , clutch and 1th gear brought me back into race , right in front of Sam. Did pushed my Fez too hard through Cooper Straight and slipped a bit  in front of the bridge. But thx Ferri power I could get free from growling BRM on the long straight.
Somehow at P6 then. Lap 11 Ginsters missed T1 and I earned P5 .On lap 18 was my so called fastes racelap. But on L21 I spin badly at Hawthrone , while downshifting into 3rd gear too early I guess. Clive Loynes closed up but unluckily next turn Westfield didn’t served him the needed grip and he left track to the left a bit.
Well I finished 5th , but as I said , I should penalized .
All in all a very exiting race to me . big fun . btw. First time ever I used a setup with negative rear toe in. ( only way to stop my tyres from burning . but I wouldn’t recommend that kinda strange setup , lol ).

Big hand to the podium ones , Hristo , Remy , Natan  , as well too Evilclive , Clive and all !!!

And of course big hand to the novices winner Steve Bird !!!!!!!!!!!
Yes good tribute and great win too , as Vosblod said.
Congratulations too for Asbjeurn on 2nd  as well for Geoff on 3rd and all taken part.

See ya all at sandy (dunes ) down in Netherlands

NickyIckx
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:16:37 PM +0000 by NickyIckx » Logged
Ian Stanley

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 12:55:01 PM +0000 »

Lousy first race of the year for me.

2 weeks of Mariokart on the kids (Honest!) wii didn't help, plus my comp was having framerate issues, which I thought I'd resolved during qually. But no, they were back in the race, along with god-awful sound.

Apologies to Sam who I think I may have knocked or caught out by early braking into T2, Clive for a shoddy rejoin infront of him close to the racing line as he came past, Remy for similar.

Contemplating a HD wipe and install, may do same to the computer as well Smiley
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 01:46:13 PM +0000 »

Wondered what you were up to Ian.  You and Tim were giving me and Gladys the screaming abdabs; in and out of the server like you had caught your coat pocket in the turnstile.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 05:00:00 PM +0000 »

The first half of that race a eventful to say the least. I thought I'd try this race with my own set up and what I came up with was stable, but I just couldn't get the car to slide the way I'd like it to which may have explained my somewhat lack of pace. That and my limited skills at the wheel  Grin.

I was 8th on the grid, made a great start and got passed Ginsters. When braking for Druids I believe Nicky and Clive had a coming together and I had to brake sharply coming to a snail's pace. Ginsters had nowhere to go and gave me a shunt onto the banking. After the rest of the cars passed Druids I performed a shift r and continued last.

Everyone seemed to have their own problems in the next few laps as I passed a hay-covered Clive and an upside-down Dave past Paddock Hill, caught Nicky as he had recovered from an earlier spin at Druids and passed Bernie and Ian who seemed to both go wide at the South Bank. On lap 5 with Clive bearing down on me, I made an awful mistake and simply braked too late and ploughed into the hay bayles at Paddock Hill. I made a hasty recovery and Ian somehow managed to avoid me when I rejoined in the middle of the track.

The rest of the race was much calmer, with me and Dave enjoying a battle for 7th in the latter half of the race. Dave was quicker, but Brands is not the easiest place to pass on so I managed to hold on to 7th. Not a too bad result but hopefully I won't get lapped next time at Zandvoort.
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 07:35:15 PM +0000 »

When braking for Druids I believe Nicky and Clive had a coming together and I had to brake sharply coming to a snail's pace. Ginsters had nowhere to go and gave me a shunt onto the banking. After the rest of the cars passed Druids I performed a shift r and continued last.

Ta for seeing it that way Sam. In truth I always take things gingerly on lap 1 and, even though I was easing into Druids, I really couldn't avoid you. Shame.

Congrats on winning the Novices trundle in Am cup though. I was desperate to beat you Wink

Maybe it was just this track, my lack of preparation or returning to work that did for me last night. But I feel my GPL mojo returning already................

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 07:56:52 PM +0000 »

Don't give up Ginsters, you have already shown really good pace in a few of our races.
 And, given that you have not been trying to tame these little missiles as long as some of us have Roll Eyes you ain't doin' so bad Wink.

Brands ( to me at least) is one of those circuits where, on any given race, I can dial in and nail lap after lap at competitive pace seemingly without effort and another time I might as well be driving the local milk float on flat tyres!!
Glad to hear that the depression is lifting and GPL is working its magic on you. Grin Grin

I think the "going back to work" syndrome should be recognised by the National Health and all sufferers given 4 weeks to get over it after each 1st day back at the grindstone....All those in favour say YEEEEEAAAAAAH!!!

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Asbjeurn Tverberg

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 12:03:24 AM +0000 »

Lap 1 and was first until halfway round the lap when Tverberg (?) made a move and knocked me over the hedge. (thats racing).
I'm sorry for that one. Although I tried to keep on my side of the track, I may have drifted into your line when exiting Hawthorn bend. It's a tough task keeping up the speed and still keep your line in those situations. You should report it! If I have made a mistake that should've cost me a penalty, it should be reported.
Caught up Tverberg who must have taken a stop / go[...]
No, I did not take a stop and go, I just had a series of crappy laps after the incident, but managed to concentrate when you appeared in my mirrors. Pity your race didn't go too well. I have a problem with cramps in my toes myself, especially when I have cold feet. It was pretty cold over here, so I fired up the stove and put on a pair of woolly socks before the race, just to make sure my feet were warm. It worked. Smiley

Otherwise my race was pretty ok. After the shunt with Clutch I managed to work my way up the field. Had a nice fight with Norbert, wich ended when we went more or less side by side onto the front straight. I was a bit ahead of him when I felt a little wobble in my car and saw in the mirror Norbert driving off. I think we touched a bit, but Norbert said after the race it was ok, so I hope I didn't get in his way.

After that I got in a series of really good and focused laps, and caught Geoff on second towards the end of the race. I saw oon the pribluda that Steve in the lead was about two kilometers ahead, wich shrunk to about 1.5 while I closed in on Geoff, so with about ten laps to got I hoped that I could compete for the win. When I got past Geoff, Steve's lead had increased to two kilometers again, so with 4-5 laps to go, I could do nothing else but concentrating on keeping the second place. I thought that would be pretty easy, concidering how easily I had caught Geoff, I thought I wouldn't be seeing more of him. But my concentration dropped, and I really had to fight with myself to keep the car on track. I made silly mistakes and soon Geoff reappeared in my mirrors. I was really releaved when the last turn on the last lap was approaching.

Grats to Steve, you were a worthy winner!

"Gentlemen, start your computers!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com