Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 02:31:59 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Dh Spa: March 10, 2009
March 10, 2009, 09:46:11 PM +0000 - Spa (GPL) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Historic Trophy
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Hristo Itchov
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA273 F1 1966 2 +0.692
151.951mph
1 31:30.762
150.100mph
9 3:27.572
151.917mph
Goodyear  
FullMetalGasket
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA273 F1 1966 4 +3.325
150.047mph
2 +28.987
147.833mph
9 3:31.419
149.153mph
Goodyear  
Doni Yourth

BRM P83 F1 1966 8 +6.312
147.945mph
3 +40.061
146.986mph
9 3:31.031
149.427mph
Goodyear  
MikeBeattie
 Drake Racing
Cooper T81 (Maserati) F1 1966 3 +2.226
150.836mph
4 +43.124
146.753mph
9 3:29.793
150.309mph
Firestone  
Tifosi312

Ferrari 312 (1966) F1 1966 1 3:26.833
152.460mph
5 +1L
149.956mph
8 3:27.607
151.891mph
Disco
Firestone  
AuldenA

McLaren M2B (Ford) F1 1966 9 +15.794
141.644mph
6 +2:08.408
139.321mph
8 3:42.080
141.992mph
Disco
Firestone  
Dave Randall

Ferrari 312 (1966) F1 1966 5 +3.350
150.030mph
7 +5L
146.676mph
4 3:32.055
148.705mph
Disco
Firestone  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T81 (Maserati) F1 1966 12 +22.474
137.517mph
8 +53.973
138.014mph
4 3:40.986
142.695mph
accident
Firestone  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 312 (1966) F1 1966 11 +17.897
140.318mph
9 +7L
140.519mph
2 3:36.740
145.491mph
Disco
Firestone  
Clive Loynes
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ferrari 312 (1966) F1 1966 6 +3.811
149.701mph
10 +9L
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Firestone  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Cooper T81 (Maserati) F1 1966 7 +4.148
149.462mph
---
0 ---
---
accident
Firestone  
BookieW

Brabham BT19 (Repco) F1 1966 10 +16.534
141.174mph
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Goodyear  
6 UKGPL

Cooper T81 (Maserati) F1 1966 13 13 DNS ---
---
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

Server replay time: 0h04m12s

Lap 1 – La Source - Dave Randall and Clive Loynes

Dave should have given Clive more room as they accelerated out of La Source towards the line.

SimRacing.org.uk Lap Records
Grand Prix Legends
F1 1966
3:26.833
---
Tifosi312
Qualifying
Ferrari 312 (1966)March 10, 2009, 09:46:11 PM +0000
S17Dh
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Historic Trophy - Spa (1967) - Mar 10  (Read 6398 times)
Syd Drake
Former UKGPL Moderators

Nightwalker

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:13:01 AM +0000 »

UKGPL Season 17 - Historic Division - Race 1 - 66 mod - Spa

Race date = 10-03-2009
Server IP Address TBA
Time = 21:00
Track = Spa
Variant = 66F1,  3L engines
Damage Model = PRO
Qually time = 30 minutes.
Race length = long

This is it. The new season starts here. First race, so no restrictions.

Password: see above
(2) Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 07:46:01 AM +0000 »

I'll try and be there, for a bit of slipstreaming Smiley

Cheers Mike
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:14:30 PM +0000 »

I'll be standing by as 1st reserve in case a spot opens up.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:56:01 PM +0000 »

Just to explain my appearance tonight. Had to be there re a server issue - got bored watching so decided to try the 66 cars. I made sure not to interfere with you 'regulars', enjoyed it till the engine blew on lap 6.
The best bit was watching Hristo and Paul racing - great driving, lost count of how many times you passed each other...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:59:11 PM +0000 by vosblod » Logged
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:14:05 AM +0000 »

That was definetelly one of my best races ever, in terms of battling it out with another driver - Paul in this case. Smiley

I also totally lost count on how many times we switched places, but credit to that goes to Paul, first for waiting me (you shouldn't have) and then for being tough but fair the whole time. I also must give credit to whoever was the amazingly fast Cooper in lap 1, I couldn't believe how fast he was, shame he went off near the end of the lap. I had my spin after that and dropped 7 seconds to Paul but as I said, he slowed down and we began our epic battle.

In time we had learned at what part of the track each of us had the advantage, so it was going to be about who comes up with a better tactic for the last lap and just as it was coming up to that, with Paul having just taken the lead on the run from Masta he had a huge slide into Stavelot and I was surprised he managed to recover from that but a second after that he had another one and this time he countersteered too much and went off into the outside bushes.  Sad

I was relieved and happy for suddenly emerging as almost certain winner, but also disappointed it had to end this way and felt sorry for Paul who deserved to win as much as I did.

Funny chat after that when Clive asked what would've Paul done on the run to La Source and he said he'd have kept the inside line because in all the previous lap he had opened the door and let me through, but I wonder if my plan to pass him before Blanchimont and keep the inside line would've worked as well.  Cheesy

Grats to Tim for making it a Waza 1-2, HOORAH SHE IS DELIGHTED!!! OUR DOUBLE VICTORY IS BELONG TO HER!!!  Grin
Believe it ,evil !  Roll Eyes

-=Hristo=-

P.S. Thanks Tim for the setup, although I did big changes to it eventually, having nearly perfect gears helped alot so I could focus on the handling. It still took the majority of qualifying to figure things out as I kept spinning and crashing all the time, but I'm just too lazy to put up any practice prior to an event.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:17:21 AM +0000 by Hristo Itchov » Logged

BookieW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:41:56 AM +0000 »

My first race and my first DNF.  I wanted to get to the rear to avoid traffic and wrecks.  Did pretty well too until I passed Fulvio in the weeds.  Heard the Maserati burbling as I passed.  Comming into the fast right hander that finishes segment 1 I could see Fulvio gaining .  I hoped to let him pass before the Masta Kink.  He being a gentleman, backed off a little and let me go first.  With one eye on the mirror, I managed to run wide on exit, and spin into Fulvio's path.  He collected me and soon I was upside down and missing a front wheel!  End of my day.  Sorry Fulvio I guess I was too nervous. oops
MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:38 AM +0000 »

Quite happy with the performance I got out of the Cooper, I hadn't driven it at Spa before the race and grabbed a Stuart Cloyd set-up and with a couple of minor tweeks it worked quite well.

A couple of silly errors, mainly due to my moving seat distracting me (Note to self - Get a bigger block of wood to jam under the wheels!! )

Grats to the podium, see you all soon.

Cheers Mike
Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:28:49 AM +0000 »

Watching Hristo and Paul was most entertaining and an object lesson to us all on how it should be done.

I had great sympathy for Paul at Stavelot on the last lap.  My Ferrari had done exactly the same thing to me on three occasions that evening.  Damn thing is great when it's in the groove but anything a bit different and it goes into a tank slapper and does its best to unseat the rider.

As the one and only Soggy in the race I thought it a bit over the top that the Wasas should hire a ronin to take care of me before the end of lap one.

And another thing.  Why is it that as soon as I find someone to slipstream in qually, they immediately smack the barrier and throw all their wheels in the bushes?

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:11:23 AM +0000 »

Hristo did that to me aswell Clive  Roll Eyes
In the end I somehow gained 4th on a clear lap with out any draft  :'(

Due to one of the lead 4 having a wobble approaching Les Combes, I had to brake and was duely passed by at least one of the cars behind me that took avoiding action - this highlighted that the server was only showing one car rearwards and scared the crap out of me when Doni's car appeared right behind me!  Shocked
First half of the race was therefore a battle for 4th after an early spin from the front, I was in a 4 way battle with Dave Randall, Doni, and Mike (briefly when he dropped back to us).
After fighting back up through us and getting nearly a second clear mike span into the hedge entering Masta straight and was out of the fight from there on, Doni passed me a couple of times but superior rising sun technologies always allowed me to get past again - I don't really know what happened to Dave?
One moment we were on opposite sides of the track approaching Burnenville, the next he simply span into the bushes!? We're too far apart for it to even be warp so I can only guess he put a wheel on the green stuff while fighting to pass  Huh

The rest of my race was spent trying (and eventually succeding  Grin) to drop Doni from my slipstream, from about lap 6 or 7 I had managed this so set about putting some proper fast laps in - Finally put my best in on lap 9  angel

Gutted for Paul as even from occaisonal glances at Prib I guessed a hell of a battle was occuring up front - otherwise thanks for the place  Wink  Cheesy
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:06:42 AM +0000 »

My first race and my first DNF.  I wanted to get to the rear to avoid traffic and wrecks.  Did pretty well too until I passed Fulvio in the weeds.  Heard the Maserati burbling as I passed.  Comming into the fast right hander that finishes segment 1 I could see Fulvio gaining .  I hoped to let him pass before the Masta Kink.  He being a gentleman, backed off a little and let me go first.  With one eye on the mirror, I managed to run wide on exit, and spin into Fulvio's path.  He collected me and soon I was upside down and missing a front wheel!  End of my day.  Sorry Fulvio I guess I was too nervous. oops

No problem Bookie, shit happens at Spa. My OK comment it wasn't towards you but rather at myself to close a race that I hadn't prepared at all on a car that it seemed a soap weaving on the track at every change of throttle. I used the same setup of Mike but I never got confident with it and at the first brake at Le Combes it showed. Luckily I managed to keep the car straight and didn't collect anybody with me. After that off I restarted last and the mission was to keep it on track without ambitions of gaining positions. I'm sorry you were worried by me at Masta but I hadn't any plan to pass there, maybe after the turn if you had had a slow exit like almost it happened  Grin
Next one

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
Tifosi312

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:20:39 PM +0000 »

Thanks for the fun guys, especially to Hristo for clean and fair racing.

Spa is always makes a good excuse for fun in the 66 cars and this was no exception.
I would rather lose a cracking race like that than win a boring race so I am happy.

Grats to Hristo for the win and to all finishers.Also thanks to Vosblod for stepping in with his server at the last minute.

paul
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:50:08 PM +0000 »

Grats to Hristo for a fine and thrilling victory!  Great job.

Kudos and sorrow for Paul who was right in the thick of it til Stavelot.  That wasn't bad luck.  That was atrocious luck!  Sad

Grats to Tim for a fine P2 to make it a Honda 1-2 at the flag.

A little luck...no, a lota luck...for me to waltz in for a P3 finish in the P83.

I was pleased with my laps in Q to shave off several tenths from a previous PB to set a new standard.  Off the start, I was little concerned that I was angled somewhat due to my grid slot and feared going up in smoke and spinning the car.  Luckily, I managed to get away cleanly.

HORRORS!  Down into Les Combes on L1 and I'm shocked to see Fulvio skipping off into the grass on the right.  It looked for a moment as I approached at speed that he might just be able to save it and get back onto the roadway or worse, come arrowing across to the left directly in front of me.  Only two options here; lift and pray or keep the throttle down and pray.  I elected to keep pace and was relieved to get thru without contact.  This left me getting into Les Combes rather hot and I got very sideways indeed but managed to save it at the last dog.  Pure luck that...I thought she was a goner.  I dropped a lot of time thanks to this gaffe but thought I was close enough to the pack to likely be able to pull back in later in the lap on the straights.  A slight bobble by Dave exiting the Masta Kink delayed he along with Clive and Tim to let me get a firm tow and get back into the hunt.

Coming up to finish L1, I discoverd Mike's Cooper recovering from an off the far side of Blanchimont.  I was just able to slide by for the position in time for La Source.  Coming off that hairpin and making for the S/F line, I saw Tim, Dave and Clive just ahead but then got a major shocker to see both Ferraris...Dave and Clive...collide and skip off the road!  Lordy!  Tim split the two crashing cars.  I just kept on the power and hoped that neither of them would come rebounding across the road into my path.  Made it!  PHEW!  Finished L1 in P4!  Who wrote this script?   Grin  On the run down to Les Combes on L2, MB dived right on approach and I let him go without a fuss.  Up at the point, Paul was looking to romp home an easy victor with a considerable lead.

I didn't get the best of passes thru La Carriere...one of the most difficult of all corners in GPL, imo...on this lap and Dave, recovered from that appaling shunt earlier in the lap, pulled out to pass comfortably on my right going up the hill.  However, I was still nicely in line with Tim and Mike up ahead and benefited from a tow to re-pass Dave on the run into Blanchimont.  Now this corner, too, is one that I find hair-raising and approaching it off-line on the left isn't something to give me a full degree of confidence.  I managed to get enough room on Dave on final approach to make a good entry, however, and made it thru OK.  Only then did I see that Mike just up ahead was raising the dust on the right verge and doubtless struggling to save the car.  So very easy to lose control there.  I checked up a bit to read the situation letting Dave scamper back thru on the low side for the 2nd element of Blanchimont.  That might have been a little tense for Dave having to make a pass like that in difficult circumstances.  Good read, Dave.  I finished L2 in P6 still nicely in touch with Dave et al to gain the slipstream again.  A long way to go yet.

I appreciated the fact that I left lots of engine speed in reserve for top gear along the main straights.  I was pulling close to 11k R's with the slipstream that really saw major gains.  From my replay, I note upwards of 194 mph on occasion.  HooWee!

At La Carriere, Dave bobbled on the exit to lose exit speed and allow me re-pass with ease up the hill.  I was getting a fine tow from Tim's Honda to seal the deal.  Coming into La Source to finish L3 not far behind Tim and starting my braking on my normal approach, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Dave was rocketing in there way, way faster than I.  I'm not the best at hard braking from high speed into such hairpins; my Logitech G25 pedal system doesn't offer quite the stiff feel that I would prefer.  Fearing that my early and cautious braking was catching Dave by surprise, I veered ever so slightly to the right changing my trajectory to give him room on the left in case he overshot.  Dave: that was not an attempt to block any thoughts you may have had at passing; it was my effort to avoid a possible collision.  Sry if it got a little too close.  Finished L3 in P5 still in good contact with Tim and Mike.

Starting L4 with my run into Eau Rouge, I took the initial uphill corner too hot forcing me to ease off a bit for the leftie over the crest with a resultant loss of pace.  This set the stage for an easy pass by Dave on the run down to Les Combes.  I backed out of the throttle way early signalling Dave that he was free and clear to take the spot.  Coming onto the top of the Masta straight, I was surprised to see what appeared to be a Cooper floundering in the grass on the right.  Mike?  Yup.  Tim, Dave and I were by in a flash, of course.  Up front, Paul had apparently lifted to let Hristo get in touch to set up a battling duo until the very late stages of the race.

L5 and running P5 just a short distance behind Tim and Dave and still getting a grand tow, I saw Dave lose his Ferrari in the kink upstream of Burnenville and go rocketing off into the barriers and retirement.  Bad luck, DR.

This left Tim and I alone with only a small gap between us and I thankful to be able to benefit from his slipstream since I just knew that overall, he was faster.  Mike, after recovering from his wild ride earlier, was some seconds adrift and not able to get a tow.  It would be tough to pull in anyone on your lonesome.

I started L6 in P4 less than 2 seconds down to Tim and 5 up on Mike.  Looking good.  Still in with a chance on Tim and Mike out of it.  I found, tho, that it seemed that the best I could do was hold the gap to Tim and not gain.  For sure, I was catching the breeze from his Honda but his inherently superior speed was carrying the day.  Then, a grievous error.  I fell off in Blanchimont and that sticky verge bled off all manner of my speed.  Indeed, I was lucky to hold onto the car at all; so many times, a wheel onto the verge there will cost you a spin.  Getting back onto the roadway safely, I could see Tim disappearing into the distance.  Adiós, Tim.  My thoughts were now of Mike who would certainly be reeling me in hand over fist.

As expected, Tim began to draw away and I could see Mike getting larger and larger in my mirrors throughout L7.  Sure enough, going into La Source to finish the lap, MB has charged right in to cover my tail on the pass thru.  Rocketing down the home straight, I lead him over the line by just a couple of tenths.  I set up for Eau Rouge as per normal catching a glimpse of Mike in my mirrors just off my tail.  I take more or less a normal pass thru Eau Rouge but am shocked to hear the tone of his Maser engine fall away rapidly and the disappear altogether.  Huh  Dear me!  Have I short-braked ol' Mike knowing that he was doubtless way faster thru there than I and I've caught him out?  No, it seems that MB fell back a couple of lengths probably in anticipation of getting a faster exit speed over the crest and in making the right-hand portion, the car just got away from him to crash into the bank on the left.  Bad luck, Mike.  You surely would have been thru for position on the run over to Les Combes.

Realizing that Mike was now not likely to be a factor in these closing stages even if he survived that off, I lifted my speed somewhat over the last 2 laps and let Tim get away comprehensively.  There was certainly no question of my reeling him in on speed.  I finished L8 down 6 seconds to Tim and noted that Mike was still in the game but 9 seconds in arrears.  I wasn't sure how much fuel to put in the ol' P83 for this event and in hindsight, may have come up a little short for safety's sake.  Part way 'round the last lap, I switched over to the F10 'Chase View' to get a reading on my fuel pressure and noted that it was falling from the optimum 79 psi.  I felt pretty sure that I'd outlast Mike to the S/F line and that's how it played out.  In checking GPLRA later, I crossed the line with just 24 psi on the dial.  A little too close for comfort!   laugh

8-1/2 out of 10.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:52:31 PM +0000 by Doni Yourth » Logged
Dave Randall

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 02:18:21 PM +0000 »

Thanks for the race guys, wasn't one of my best for a few reasons and I'm afraid I was the 'ronin' that Clive referred to, however perhaps my explanation of the La Source incident might clear the Wasas from any allegations of hiring hit men!

First lap was generally bad, it was looking good before Les Combes when I think I was running about 4th but then shortly afterwards Lorraine came in the room with a cup of tea.  This was enough to throw my concentration which as you know on a first lap with cold tyres and lots of close company needs to be 100%  I have now banned her from the room on league nights, so she has now vowed never to make me a cup of tea again!  Anyway I subsequently misjudged Masta and clouted the exit barrier which lost a few places.  Then as I was braking for La Source behind Clive I was surprised how much I gained on him so I pointed to the inside.  As we were in the corner beside each other I saw his car kick (which was surprising as the replay shows a clear metre between us).  Because of this I didn't think he was still beside me as we accelerated from the hairpin but kept the car straight anyway.  I glanced to the left just in time to see him be catapulted away as we rubbed wheels.  In hindsight I probably should have kept further over to the right so for that I apologise Clive.

After this I was extra cautious and in the end too much so as I tried hard to avoid any warp contact with Tim, stayed too wide and had a pointless off which finished my race.

It was still fun and hopefully will get better as I get used to the foibles of these '66 machines..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:32:21 PM +0000 by Dave Randall » Logged
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:38:06 PM +0000 »

shortly afterwards Lorraine came in the room with a cup of tea.  This was enough to throw my concentration which as you know on a first lap with cold tyres and lots of close company needs to be 100%  I have now banned her from the room on league nights, so she has now vouched never to make me a cup of tea again!  

LMAO  Grin  Sounds like my Mrs, although she would have poured it down my trousers...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:44:40 PM +0000 by vosblod » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com