Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 10:50:28 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Dh Watkins Glen: April 21, 2009
April 21, 2009, 10:36:02 PM +0100 - Watkins Glen (Classic) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Historic Trophy
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
fpolicardi
 Team7
Ferrari 246 F1 1966 4 +0.403
---
1 38:04.272
---
33 1:08.013
---
Firestone  
Dave Randall

Brabham BT11 (Climax 2.7) F1 1966 3 +0.376
---
2 +9.288
---
33 1:08.818
---
Goodyear  
EvilClive
 HikiWazaRacing
Lotus 33 (BRM) F1 1966 7 +0.678
---
3 +24.771
---
33 1:08.290
---
Firestone  
Turkey Machine
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (BRM) F1 1966 11 +1.932
---
4 +49.331
---
33 1:09.401
---
Firestone  
Doni Yourth

Brabham BT11 (BRM V8) F1 1966 10 +1.422
---
5 +54.244
---
33 1:08.941
---
Goodyear  
Clive Loynes
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Lotus 33 (BRM) F1 1966 9 +1.035
---
6 +59.851
---
33 1:08.747
---
Firestone  
Hristo Itchov
 HikiWazaRacing
Lotus 33 (BRM) F1 1966 2 +0.122
---
7 +1L
---
32 1:09.731
---
Firestone  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT11 (BRM V8) F1 1966 8 +0.933
---
8 +5L
---
28 1:09.297
---
Goodyear  
Syd Drake
 Drake Racing
BRM P261 (1966) F1 1966 6 +0.560
---
9 +17L
---
16 1:08.684
---
Goodyear  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1966) F1 1966 13 +4.366
---
10 +20L
---
13 1:12.023
---
Firestone  
FullMetalGasket
 HikiWazaRacing
Ferrari 246 F1 1966 5 +0.431
---
11 +26L
---
7 1:08.205
---
Firestone  
MikeBeattie
 Drake Racing
Lotus 33 (BRM) F1 1966 1 1:07.949
---
12 +31L
---
2 1:09.769
---
Firestone  
AuldenA

Lotus 33 (BRM) F1 1966 12 +3.811
---
13 +32L
---
1 1:17.955
---
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

SUMMARY

A clean race with no reported incidents.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Historic Trophy - Watkins Glen (GP) - Apr 21  (Read 9002 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 10:22:42 PM +0100 »

Apologies for the server issue re UKGPL6. For some reason it just wouldn't run remotely, looking into it but all I can think is the internet connnection was stodgy. Will do some testing.
Had UKGPL5 on standby but thanks for providing the ADC server
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 07:44:04 PM +0100 »

As I was prohibited from using my "proper" car I had to settle for a green thing, or optionally a blue thing. Neither choice was what you might call "awe inspiring" but it seems Wazas cant be Chuzas.

Just before I joined chat I instructed the Glutbuckets ( the pit crew from hell that just will not go away  Roll Eyes) to prepare each of the cars for a private trail run around the Glen.
First thoughts were that the Brab 2.5 litre ought to be favourite as a pretty benign but with a big enough engine........dissapointed to be getting lap times in the high 1:09's  Undecided
I wondered if the sweet handling Eaglet might be better, but the lap times were similar, and the hastily evolved set up did not hold much promise of drastic improvement. (mental note.. must send Glutbuckets to night classes on set up theory,, come to think of it..must send the Glutbuckets anywhere that isn't near me  Grin)

Tried the McLaren Marshmallowmobile....nuff said!! but kudos to Hristo who seems to be able to pedal that thing at impressive speed at times.

So, only the last choice..Lotus 33 BRM,  hmmmmmm...2 litre...probably nimble enough, but this isn't a tight circuit and those long straights are going to be its downfall.

Had some major suspension and geometry tweaks before it even looked like going around The Loop and when it did, the gearing ( all six of them) required a good kicking too. Here the Glutbuckets came into their own..kicking machinery is something they are really good at.

Suddenly I was posting low 1:09's!! ...that cannot be correct surely??? But yes it was, must have been some kick!!!!

Sooo a cunning plan, more cunning than a cunning thing on national cunning day was whispered to me by Arnold Glutbucket.

What if, you keep this car and setup, but run a few notches higher with top gear, and bank everything on getting in the slipstream of a big fat Fezza somewhere near the front of the grid. After all, this little 2 litre buzz box ought to get off the line quite smartly and up through the Esses make up a few places.

Sitting on the grid in 6th place I felt like a fool, I had listened to Arnold Undecided  will I never learn??
Yes there were Fezzas up front, but they were two rows ahead and everything hinged on me getting to them, before they got to The Loop Lap1!!

The flag dropped and Syd , who was just in front, seemed to bog down a little and I was able to slip through on the inside line. The car immediately in front was a 3 litre but as we exited the Esses there was already a gap developing between it and the leading pack of 4.
Worrying times dear reader, what should I do?

Fortunately the gap did not get too large on lap 1 and I was able to keep pace whilst the 4 car pack jostled for position.
 At Big Bend there was a gap down the inside and I took it, ( later Arnold was to claim that he KNEW I would be able to effect a pass and get to grips with the leaders because of his "special setup"..yea right Arnold!! Roll Eyes).

The sight of Mabel Glutbucket frantically waving an item of her enormous underwear ( apparently demonstrating her support!!) as I passed the pits almost ended my race there and then..shudder!!!

The fact that we were now at the slowest part of the circuit, played into my hands beautifully as I was able to get into the "tow-zone" of the leading bunch as we exited the Esses onto the first long straight.

Bizarre as it seems, Arnold's plan appeared to be working and I was able to sit in the slipstream and  enjoy the view for a few laps until Mike and Hristo decided to perform their ariel ballet.
It was very entertaining as they went up into the air, spinning and cartwheeling in harmony..... but then like all things that go up, they had to come down!! and the chosen landing zone looked like being uncomfortably close to where I wanted to be in about 1 second Shocked.
Fortunately Fulvio in his Fez went to the right, and I chose the left, as a car landed square in the middle of the track dispensing bits of machinery in all directions. I put a rear wheel onto the grass in my attempt to avoid the projectile, and was rewarded with a violent lunge across the track towards where I knew Fulvio should be!! No contact made, but that might be down to Fulvio's avoidance and less to do with me.
Derek Dave Randall was the major beneficiary of all this as he scarpered into the distance beyond the range of my magnetic tow rope. Fulvio had recovered his momentum and was now using the power of the Fez and the tow to close rapidly. I did not put up a fight as I wanted him to drag me up to DerekDave, which he did Grin.
This perfect plan was working all too well and I found myself in 3rd spot being pulled along by the two cars in front, ever further from the main pack but with another Fez in 4th a litttle way back.
Mr 4th place Fez, latched on to my slipstream a few laps later as we exited the Esses and moved to take the inside line into The Loop.
I think he must have been unhinged by the sight of Mabel, still waving her underwear from the pitwall and was desperate to get away from the area. I left what I thought was enough room and took a wide line into The loop.  Ony to be surprised as something red and fast emerged from my blind spot apparently intent on impaling itself on the fencing, presumably in a frantic attempt to dislodge the image of Mabel from its mind.
I was clipped on the front wheel and squirmed violently but managed to stay on the grey stuff whilst the red thing barrell rolled to blissful oblivion.
This is where the plan unravelled, for now Fulvio and DerekDave had slipped too far ahead and out of range of the tow I needed. The only good thing was that the gap back to the folowing pack was immense Grin. Half the race still to go, so maybe the leaders would do the decent thing and fall over each other, or blow an engine? but it was not to be...so I cruised home in a safe 3rd spot tempted only to throw it away on the last lap rather than face Mabel and what would be an insufferably chipper Arnold in the post race celebrations.
Grats to Fulvio and Derek Dave

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 08:10:22 PM +0100 »

You do realise of course everybody that it was 2l cars only last night? Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 08:49:16 PM +0100 »

Yeah, pity he didn't choose the McLaren.....imagine the crying match there would have been Cheesy A proper Lewis !!

Still the BBW underwear fantasy does give some insight to a truly Evil mind Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:51:03 PM +0100 by MikeBeattie » Logged

Cheers Mike
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:22 PM +0100 »

You do realise of course everybody that it was 2l cars only last night? Smiley

I thought I remember the 2.7 brabby was up for grabs ?

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 09:24:44 PM +0100 »

He means sub 3l Bernie  Smiley
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 10:15:29 PM +0100 »

Yea I know they were all less than 3 litres but they were all bigger than me!! especially Mabel

After Mabel I don't want to think of anything larger than 2 litres!!!

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Dave Randall

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 11:03:33 PM +0100 »

I'd be curious to know what my heart rate was those first few laps and how awesome to see the replay of them!  There is a great view from Tim's car following those spanning right across the track through the Loop.  Shame it wasn't to last a bit longer, although in a way it was a relief to be given some breathing space after Hristo and Mike became intimate!

I was hopeful of a good result here knowing that a quicker car (than the top four) would be quite an advantage compared to some other 'driver' tracks, where the quickest guys seem more able to make up for the shortfalls of their machinery.  Hristo also very kindly gave me some help in qually to ensure I stayed in third position and I couldn't believe he let me sit on his tail for more than a lap!  Grin  Got a good start and was able to challenge for the lead after a few laps and make a pass stick on Mike, who was considerate with his room on the entry to the loop, shortly before he was to lose it on the exit with spectacular results!

I was aware that something had happened as I had a new follower, Wayne Clive Gardner, who was to provide some pressure for a while before being replaced by Fulvio, who then caught me up at an alarming rate and passed without much difficulty.  No problem I thought, just keep close enough until the opportunity arises, just make no mistakes and don't over-work that Climax (had it pop a few times in practise)  Next lap and one grassy mistake later I'm outside of his tow zone after which he pulled away impressively to a well deserved win!  I could do nothing except make sure that I kept a safe distance in front of  Wayne Clive and treat the Brabham with enough sympathy to ensure it brought me home..

Unortunately I won't be making Rouen as I'll be on hol's, shame- terrific track  Sad
Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 02:08:28 AM +0100 »

Speaking of replays, where is there one? Failed to save it in time! Cheesy

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Syd Drake
Former UKGPL Moderators

Nightwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 09:17:33 AM +0100 »

You can download the replay from here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/224715673/ADC__.2009.04.21.23.14.rar
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:39 PM +0100 »

Qualifying was quite fun for this one with plenty of slipstreaming and towing around. In one of my runs I had Dave on my back (but I didn't know it's him at the time) and for about 3 or 4 laps I was trying to escape him but to no avail. I think eventually it helped him better his time and I felt very silly when I stopped at the end of my run and saw the standings, lol. He was precisely my main competitor and I was helping him!  Roll Eyes Anything to entertain the crowds I guess.  Cheesy

The start was very intense, with everyone around going as fast as they dared but somehow we survived through the first corners. I was expecting to have a bit of relief but that didn't last for long because with the massive slipstream in the 66 mod we repeatedly bunched up and then spaced out, in and out of each corner. It was quite a pressure to keep an eye on Fulvio who was full-image on my mirrors and yet avoid the two cars of Mike and Dave ahead who were fighting each other but thus slowing themselves a bit. My worry was that if I had to brake unexpectedly to avoid something ahead Fulvio would have no time to react and avoid me, so I was trying to be as gradual as possible in my braking and steering as to give early warning to what's happening. That of course didn't help my bid on challenging the leaders but the race was long... or should've been. Coming out of The Loop after a few laps Mike suddenly lost it completely and spun sideways in front of me. Collision was inevitable and unfortunately my car lost speed so suddenly that it damaged the engine.

Apart from that the handling seemed to be just about ok, but the engine now barely had enough power to fill up all the revs of 5th gear (the car has 6!), so to avoid loosing too much time I was risking it all going into corners. That came with a price and not just once as I had a couple of spins and offs until the end of the race, but persistence paid off as some people retired and I ended up 7th. So much for my target to win all of the Historic championship races.  Grin Ah, but 2 worst results drop off, right, so still possible to score max points... I guess one can't be more greedy than this!  angel

See you on Sunday,
-=Hristo=-

Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 02:10:42 AM +0100 »

Sry for the late filing, chaps.

Grats to Fulvio on a fine win!  Great job, FP.

Nice job by Dave 'Defibulator' Randall for a great run thru to P2.  Heart rate indeed, DR!   Grin

Swell run by Evil to claim the final podium spot.  Good show.

Terrfic lap in Q from Mike!  Dipped into the 7's!!!  WowZer!  Grats, MB.

I had a quiet Q session and managed to swipe over a full second off my PB.  To start P10.   Grin Grin Grin  So much for my dreams of slurping the champers.

Off the grid, I was careful to avoid nailing anyone up the road and to also not get the car dancing sideways on the that cambered roadway.  On my right, Jethro roared thru with both turbos well up on the cam and took off like a rocket!  He just sythed his way up thru the field leaving my agog at his pace.

Down in the Loop on L1, there was some agro up ahead and in my attempts to avoid getting collected, I spun off to the outside but just stopped in time before striking the barriers.  Got away quite far back but hooked up with Syd and enjoyed a little slipstreaming action with him til he seemed to have cuffed wheels with Jethro coming off The 90 and looped it on pit straight.  Bad luck, SD.  This promoted me to P6 and the very next lap, poor Bernie got into a lurid slide coming off the self same final corner and by the time he'd gathered it up, both JW & I were thru for position.  Up to P5!  WooHoo!  I never thought I get this far up the board after that L1 off.  I'd no sooner profited from Bernie that I got a swell tow from Jethro on the main straight to roar thru for P4 going into the Loop on L10.  Heady stuff!  Could it last?

Nope.  L11 and I bungled the changedown for the Loop and skated off into the haybales.  NUTS!  This blunder put me back to P8 with Hristo...HUH?!?!...on my tail and fading.  I see from HI's report above that he sufferd severe engine woes from that L2 shunt with Mike so that explains his lack of pace.  For a moment there, I thought he was being charitable and running an F3 car.   Smiley

L18 and Clive had a brief spin in The 90 to let me skip up to P6.  I had little illusions as to being able to hold CL off but managed to do so up to L23 when Bernie had the great misfortune to loop it coming off...The Loop and see his excellent P4 placing evaporate.  Bad luck, BD.  Bernie's battle with Jethro had pulled them both back to myself and Clive such that JW, now in P4, was a mere three seconds up the road and well within striking range.  L24 and I decided to yield to the inevitable and eased off at the end of the back straight to let Clive thru.  Howerver, I did so in a somewhat clumsy fashion and Clive did not pick up on my intentions til we were quite some distance down the road.  Sry, CL.

Clive lit out after Jethro and I was counting on riding his coattails right up to Jethro.  Worked like a charm as Clive started carving chunks out of JW's lead.  To start L27, Jethro got a bit out of shape going up the hill to cost him all manner of terminal speed and let Clive close right in to a mere handful of car lenghts going into the Loop.  I was watching the show from just a couple of lengths myself.  L28 and Clive goes for a demon outbrake going into the Loop.  It looked to me like he was going to end up in Corning such was his speed but somehow he caught a bit in sailing past Jethro and looked to have scooped the position.  However, he was mightily crossed-up and in sifting thru on the inside line, Jethro just clipped Clive and CL's Lotus spun helplessly into the barrier.  Very bad luck there, Clive, on a brave attempt.

This development left Jethro and I alone to settle P4 over the dying laps.  Of course, I had the benefit of the slipstream to close comfortably on the straights.  As for the corners, there wasn't much between us.  L30 and JW gets very slightly onto the grass verge coming off the Loop and doubtless, this costs a fraction in speed.  It's all I need to get a good run on him and slipstream by at the end of the back straight.  Over the S/F line in P4 with just three laps to run!

I'm piling on the throttle for all I'm worth in hopes of a breakaway and at the end of L32, have almost 1/2 second in the bank.  Is that enough?  Last Lap!  Up thru the esses for the last time and as I crest the hill and start the run down the main straight, Jethro has close substantially.  In the rush down to the Loop, it's going to be close.  I ask all that I can from the BRM 2-litre V-8...but it's not enough.  JW swings out to pass and is by on the inside for the Loop.  Jethro gets a fine pass thru and out of the Loop but I get onto the verge slightly and this hurts my exit.  Still, I'm closing thanks to the slipstream as we near the end of the back straight and I set up high and wide to diamond the corner in hopes of carving underneath Jethro on the exit.  BUGGER!  I've lost it and spin away all hopes.  JW cruises home P4 with me a handful of seconds down in P5.  Grats, JW!

Not altogether disappointed in the least with that considering two serious offs.

C U next round!

MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 07:34:04 PM +0100 »

Errr... OK my report

I don't like Watkins Glen, it's The Loop and the last turn, I never have really mastered them for more than one time each race, and I hate how I seem to develop terminal understeer round The Loop as the race progresses.

So back to the UKGPL event, needed a tow and thanks to Tim's Ferrari and the 66 tow characteristics, I got pretty much the perfect slipstream round the whole lap, just catching my "Hare" as he exited that final turn, Et Voila Pole ! Definitely batting above of my league.

So onto my rather curtailed race, it was short but hectic, I didn't even have time to snatch a glance at Pribula, and thought that it was Hristo behind me for the opening laps, not Dave - Derek ( Bo's big brother I suppose Cheesy  )

Held the inside line up the straight but on Lap 3 I must have been too generous and the annorexic Mr R squeezed into the inside, I made room and ceded the corner, hoping for a tow down the next straight, but ran slightly wide on the exit and because I didn't lift Iwas spat sideways and then got a mouthful of Armco, before grinding my cranium off on the asphalt.

Sorry Hristo you got tagged, just another reason to hate WG even more than before Smiley

Cheers Mike
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 09:47:39 PM +0100 »

Sorry Hristo you got tagged, just another reason to hate WG even more than before Smiley

No worries, I hate Watkins for the very same reasons (the loop and last turn)!

Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:58 PM +0100 »

Just seen the replay, and I have to majorly apologise for tagging Syd into the Loop on lap 1, from what I remember he braked quite early (I braked early, he braked earlier, and rightly so cos he had cars close in front), and I tried avoiding him but he moved just across where I aimed my car to avoid the contact, but it didn't quite work. Caused chaos for others too, which I also apologise for. Grin

Demon start though, left the others around me floundering. I thought I was gonna smack into the back of them off the startline!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com