Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 29, 2024, 12:44:51 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Dn Imola: April 14, 2009
April 14, 2009, 09:38:35 PM +0100 - Imola (2007+) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Novices Trophy
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Clutch4
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.744
---
1 34:14.832
---
20 1:41.270
---
Goodyear  
roguk

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 5 +1.426
---
2 +3.578
---
20 1:40.915
---
Dunlop  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +0.903
---
3 +11.043
---
20 1:41.625
---
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +1.851
---
4 +38.571
---
20 1:43.035
---
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 8 +2.960
---
5 +58.165
---
20 1:43.033
---
Dunlop  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 2 +0.740
---
6 (+3) +59.757
---
20 1:40.897
---
Dunlop  
maestro57

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 9 +4.167
---
7 +1:16.475
---
20 1:42.376
---
Goodyear  
AuldenA

Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 15 +12.175
---
8 +1:17.264
---
20 1:43.822
---
Dunlop  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 11 +5.156
---
9 +1:27.351
---
20 1:43.042
---
Dunlop  
NickyIckx
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +2.748
---
10 +1:27.911
---
20 1:42.344
---
Dunlop  
BookieW
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 14 +6.840
---
11 +1:32.321
---
20 1:43.819
---
Goodyear  
Glyn Lloyd

Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 13 +6.316
---
12 +1L
---
19 1:44.427
---
Dunlop  
G Poole

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 10 +4.212
---
13 (+8) +49.425
---
19 1:43.181
---
Goodyear  
JamesRye
 Reed Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 1 1:39.867
---
14 +20L
---
0 ---
---
Dunlop  
Hezemans

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 12 +5.360
---
---
0 ---
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 16 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Another good drive by Clutch, who had a very close battle with Roger for much of the race. Roger also drove well and took the lead at Tosa at one stage only to run wide, he'll have to wait longer for a first win.

There are four varieties of bad rejoin and we only had three of them at Imola, but I don't want to collect a set at any stage. Bad rejoins are the most avoidable penalties and are often responsible for the ugliest incidents. I'll also note that once a driver has a bright yellow stigma next to their entry there is an additional place penalty for every incident, even warnings.

Motor racing was called the cruel sport in the sixties, Mike got third spot on the podium and so again felt obliged to attempt a parade lap. At reduced speed he made it back to the pits safely this time, with only one major off when he went very wide at Acque and collected some greenery. My version of Imola only has a house at Acque. I've tried to add a stand from another graphics update, without success.

Server replay time: 0h01m17s

L1 Tosa

Graham is too fast into the first element of Tosa then seems to over-control and hits Vos, Vos is sent into the armco and collects Glyn as he lurches over the track.

There is an additional place penalty for a first lap incident.

Server replay time: 0h01m38s

L1 Piratella

Mike gets too much wheel on the kerb and goes wide, Clutch takes the opportunity to pass, but there is then warp contact between Clutch's right rear and Mike's left front.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h02m30s

L1 Rivazza

Graham spins to a stop but then rejoins in front of Glyn. Though Graham may have got more throttle than he wanted, when you must rejoin at right angles to the track you have to wait for other cars to pass. When other cars are present you can only rejoin when you have a shallow angle. You can't expect the car approaching to anticipate what you will do. Graham only had to wait a few moments and Glyn would have been past.

There is a further place added to the penalty for a first lap incident.

Glyn continued for the rest of the race with a dodgy engine when he was entitled to a free reset, which he should have taken.

Server replay time: 0h06m34s

L4 Tosa

Al rejoins too quickly after a spin. Again this is at right angles to the track, and causes NHance to spin 180 when trying to avoid him. When other cars are present you can only rejoin if you are driving in the direction of the track or very close to it, and can make a slow gradual rejoin.

Server replay time: 0h09m04s

L5 Acque

Another very poor rejoin by Al, this time at about 135 degrees and directly in front of Vos, who has to slow.

The red mist may descend after a spin, but bad rejoins are almost entirely a question of temperament, rather than skill, a rejoin like this is unacceptable at any level.

Server replay time: 0h15m19s

L8 Pits

Nicky coasts into the pits after an engine failure and resets from the pits.

I just wanted to note that this isn't allowable in all the UKGPL divisions, sometimes the sng would have to be separate.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h22m00s

L12 Pits

Anything Nicky can do with a Cooper, Bernie can attempt as well. However Bernie spins in the pit entrance when coasting in, and after spending a lap wondering whether I will spot him, very properly takes a sng for his reset....

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h24m16s

L14 Tosa

Al loses control in the braking zone and collects Aulden after hitting the armco.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h35m52s

L20 Rivazza

Aulden tries for a non-existent gap on the last corner and instead pushes Maestro into a spin, there is warp but it isn't a factor. However Aulden also manages to return the place before the finish.

• Racing incident

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Novices Trophy - Imola - Apr 14  (Read 7278 times)
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:04:16 PM +0100 »

UKGPL Season 17 - Novices Trophy - Race 4 - 65 mod - Imola

The fourth round of the Novices Trophy is at the Imola circuit, the Autodromo di Castellaccis.  My apologies for the late announcement of this race!  After two large grid accidents out of three races, I'll once again emphasise that drivers should be extremely cautious when attempting to pass at the start.  Even if the car ahead is slow it is often better to pull to one side and stay in his mirrors, in a long race there should be plenty of passing opportunities especially with the added slipstream.  If you must pass you need adequate space, lag is more of a factor at the start and only a car's width is not enough.  Okay?  

Reserve drivers should not join until there are only 30 mins of qualifying left.  However, all drivers should not go on track until there is 30 minutes of qualifying left.  This helps all drivers join the server successfully.  Please restrict chat to pit messages.

Please use the updated 65 mod for this race.

The 65 mod V2 update is being used by UKGPL and the updated layout features are very welcome, with the ability to record best lap times at addon tracks and to have 65 specific tracks. The new collision boxes are also a great improvement.  Though the new slipstream code will need extensive testing, the preliminary race seemed to show that it would be a definite improvement in racing terms, without the controversy over its extent, as with the 66 mod.

Thanks to all involved with producing the update.  If the new slipsteam code works as well as it seems it might, perhaps it could help persuade the authors of the 66 mod to rework their code as well!

Please be in IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m. UK
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server ukgpl5
IP address TBC
Race date = 14-04-2009
Time = 20:00GMT 21:00UK
Track = Imola
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Int
Qually time = 30 minutes.
Race length = Long (20 laps)

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

CHASSIS ALLOCATION  If I haven't included you but your chassis has been agreed it's not important, otherwise pm me.

Ferrari Norbert Roguk Fabio
Lotus Al Vos Mike Scott Vee8
BRM Billy Hezemans Hurtubise JamesRye
BT11 Graham Maestro Clutch Nhance
Honda Bookie Tomd18
Cooper Asbjeurn* Ian* Steve B* Steve B2* Geoff* Bernie* Nicky*
BT7 Aulden Burt* Glyn

*drivers also assigned an Amateurs chassis

65 Mod

These were the 65 drivers
BT7 Bonnier, Baghetti, Hulme (Bonnier drove for Walker)
BT11 Brabham Gurney Gardner Anderson Siffert (Siffert drove for Walker, Gardner and Anderson were privateers)
Lotus Clark Spence Rodriguez Mitter Russo Solana (and Maggs Hailwood Attwood Amon and Ireland for Parnell)
Ferrari Surtees Bandini Rodriguez Vaccarella Bondurant Scarfiotti
Honda Ginther Bucknum
Cooper McLaren Rindt
BRM Hill Stewart

The 1965 season was the last to use the controversial 1500cc formula which had begun after 1960, to the initial advantage of Ferrari.  The 1965 cars are smaller than the 1967 cars and have less torque and hence more grip.  It was claimed that they 'cornered on rails', however this allowed the Grand Prix series to retain the use of circuits which were otherwise to prove extremely dangerous.

The 1965 cars are ideal for those new to GPL as they allow the tracks to be learnt in light reliable cars, however these are also full Formula One cars, and quite fast.... Construction was begun at Imola in 1950 and the track was was first used for Formula One in April 1963. This non-championship event was won by Jim Clark in a Lotus 25, lapping up to second place.

David Wright's 'Legends' site http://fp.gplegends.plus.com/ has the download of the 2.0.1 version (under 'details') as well as being an exceptional guide to both 1965 and 1967, for those interested in Formula One history.  The 2.02 update is available here: http://www.jamesonline.net/ukgpl/1965mod_PATCH_v2.0.2_Setup.zip[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:16:48 PM +0100 by Jack O'Ferrall » Logged
JamesRye

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39:39 PM +0100 »

Well, I practiced hard for that one. Pole was mine and I'd made the first couple of corners. Steering wheel fixed, no problems.

GPL crashed and t'was game over.

I'm gutted cos I hadn't had this problem before. :'(

ah well, theres always the next one.

Ryeman
Clutch4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:57:41 PM +0100 »

Well, my second win of the season and one of my hardest races ever.
Settled into the first corner in 4th. People seemed to be running wide or out breaking themselves on cold tyres for the first couple of laps. I managed to hang on to my BT11 and after Mike ran wide at the top of the hill, managed to edge my way past.
This left me in second behind A.Baldwin (if i remember rightly?). I followed him as best i could but couldn't see a way past to take the lead, so decided to try and pressure him into a mistake.
After a couple of laps he ran slightly wide and i managed to take advantage.
The next 14 laps or so were an absolute nightmare. I had R UK65 within a second of me for the rest of the race. I simply didn't have the pace and so concentrated on sticking to the racing line and hitting all the apex's. I was going so slow in some places he could have pit stopped and got into a milk float to drive round me.
Eventually he got along side on the start finish straight and passed me but couldn't quite get the brakes on to make the tight left hander and spun. After that it was a case of bringing it home for the last 3 laps.

I won, but shouldn't have. There were faster guys out there so i was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.
Apologies to Championship leader Mike who clipped me when i made a move on him (or the replay may show different..not sure, so apologies). Anyway, a good recovery drive for 3rd.
Very bad luck to JamesRye too. He clearly is the man to beat when his hardware doesn't let him down. I guess we should get these sorts of results in before he's back charging up the leader board.
Thanks also to R UK65. Very professional drive. I thought he may hit me at some point as i was clearly slow as he followed me within a couple of tenths for 14laps, but he never made contact, and when his opportunity came, he was fair and clean.

See you in Mexico and those dredded half eaten polo mints on the apex's.

Clutch
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:09:09 PM +0100 »

Bad Luck Jim, we had a great tussle in practise earlier too I was looking forward to the race.

Like you say, next time, and it is the dreaded (for me) Mexico.

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21:18 PM +0100 »

There were faster guys out there so i was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Hot laps don't count, you don't win 20 lap races by accident. Wink

Apologies to Championship leader Mike who clipped me when i made a move on him (or the replay may show different..not sure, so apologies). Anyway, a good recovery drive for 3rd.

My replay shows no contact and we both seemed to allow enough room. Have to wait for the mod of course but I would sneak a little taste of the champagne anyway.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:32:37 PM +0100 »

Firstly congrats to Clutch and all podium. Special mention to team-mates Mike for another podium (three in a row) and Happy Al for a great qually time
I had a great race but, firstly, an apology. Had a tap on first lap which sent me into a spin. Tried to stay left onto track but swung round straight into Glynn, extra apology as I noticed on replay I restarted in front of you - thought you had already gone. I didn't take a SnG as I classed it as a follow on from the initial knock. If the Moderator decides differently I'll take my punishment...

Apologies out of the way enjoyed that one. Finished 5th and it was racing all the way so I'm happy...

See you in Mexico and those dredded half eaten polo mints on the apex's.
Cheesy - good analogy, they always seem to get stuck in my treads...
Onto the dreaded Mexico then...
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:56:22 PM +0100 »

joining late with no Coop set up meant spending praccy matching the car and driver to the track . I borrowed a set up from goodwood which seemed to be Ok apart from being left handed so set about changing things around for Imola .  A late attempt at gearbox tweeking went tits up and left me fombling to get the gears back to status quo .I found the car was Ok and nicely balanced in race mode , then I had a senior moment after drafting past Vlod ? I lost my sense of direction and realised too late the next corner was 75 mph slower than I was going. Recovered from that to find I was catching up again then the fuel pressure died and I stuttered around to the pits , tried a S/R but had to wait for every one to pass by before I could rejoin again,then the resulting pit stop dropped me further down the betting .

Apart from that I enjoyed the track and some close racing ( for a change) I was quite pleased with the car and later on a few more post race tweeking found a low 1.42 (without the tow)

Bring on Mex.  the Coop should make a real good mobile chicane there  Grin

G Poole

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:09:16 AM +0100 »

Appologies to Vos for the first lap error, and also to G Lloyd for parking in front of him
in lap 2 or 3. The rest of the race was a struggle, too many spins and not enough pace.
Not any easy track to stay on the grey stuff.
Finished at the back, but perhaps that was the best I could expect.   Sad
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:24:02 AM +0100 »

Smiley Smiley
Big Congratulations goes to C.Clucht for nice win and to R.UK65 for great second ( and fastes lap I guess ) and to Mike for excellent 3rd.
And off course to all taken part.
Pitty JamesRye got lost in the universe of crazy PC behaviours.

Well as to my race :
Not a big story , didn’t found the time to practise Imola . track layout wasn’t a prob , coz did know Imola from GP3 .
But I was too stupid to work out an working setup for my Cooper. Handling was ok , but no speed at all . PB of 1-42-81 says all .lol

Anyroads start was ok , during race I left track 3 times , coz I didn’t feel I was at higher speed by tow of the cars in front while entering turns.
And cause I really mistreated my gearbox by speedshifting my engine explode at L8 in front of the pits entry ( luckily ).

Even though I got the impression there have been plenty of small lags ( e.c. Lap 14 0:25:20 Balwin spin without any reason to see why )
I basically messed the race up on my own. Hehe.

See ya all at Mexico
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:38:01 PM +0100 »

What a relief!. After playing a not too minor part in 2 of the big start line pile ups this season, even though they were racing incidents, my only priority was to not crash. At Kyalami I downloaded a set up but as Clutch says you need a set up thats not twitchy you can drive for 40 minutes & not go off. By the time I'd modified it only the rear roll bar & tyre pressures were original. I used this at Imola as well with a change of gearing & 4 other minor changes.

The race, well I made a bad start & lost a place but early on spun avoiding Al I think as he re joined the track. Didn't lose a place though but this put Maestro close behind me up until at least lap 10 I think with a gap of less than a second up to 2+ seconds I just couldn't shake him off. Mike passed me easy during this period as well. Something must have happened to Maestro 'cos suddenly he was well back much to my relief. After that I was dead steady & brought it home with less revs as I had a motor go in qually.

Am I happy with a top 6 finish, you bet. It also helps our team to which my contribution has been minimal a fact Clutch keeps reminding me of on a regular basis!
I will give this set up a try at Mexico as it seems to work for me

Norm H

Glyn Lloyd

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 02:02:37 PM +0100 »

What happened here ?   no MAJOR pile up in turn 1 Huh !!!!  you guys been taking driving lessons or sumfin` Huh  Tongue Cheesy
Actually it was a somewhat lonely event for me....got away well, passing Mr. Hezelman before the line  Smiley  and tagging onto the the rear of the pack....saw the crash/ spin at T2 involving Poole and Vos  but figured I was on course to miss it....closley tailing Darwin  through the mess when there was a flash of red and black going across my bows !!!!  seems Vos had spun righ back across the track and somehow threaded the needle between Darwin and me  and unfortunately collecting my front -end...ooooh  I got giddy going in circles there  Tongue.....but, no reset needed..got going again as Vos took off  ( no problem there Vos..I would have just held you up anyways Tongue )...passed Ryemans car around the bend...into the slow tight right hander almost collected Hezelman who was sitting across the track after his `moment`...wheeew...that was close  Smiley...and screaming down to the double right I find Mr. Poole has stopped for a beer and parked somwhat askew !!! Roll Eyes...unfortunately I was unable to avoid him and went for some more spins and a couple of 'flip-flops'  to boot...again, no reset needed...waited till he got ready to go and then took off for what was to be a very lonely run......you buggers wouldn`t even wait for me to catch up !!! Shocked......funny thing though...I had recently installed GTL on my computer ( at persistent  requests from my other buds) and somehow had managed to alter my G25 settings quite a bit....the FFB was kicking like crazy and the wheel was as stiff as an Austin-Healy 3000 !!!!   needed lots of muscles ( which I DON`T have )  to steer the thing  so I`m really quite surprised that I did as well as I did all things being considered  Smiley
This is a great track with a good flow, but it will bite your ass if you get complacent on it  lol

Congrats to the podium guys and to all who made it to the finish....yep,  including me   laugh

"The faster I goes the behinder I gets  Cheesy "

Glyn
(ol` SLOWpoke)  Smiley The Geriatric GPLer Tongue

' THE HURRIDER I GOES THE BEHINDER I GETS' !!!

Current GPL Rank  =   +121.856
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 02:12:15 PM +0100 »

"The faster I goes the behinder I gets  Cheesy "

I'm keeping that for future reference, that's so true in my case. Grin

Sounds like the Novices was a blast. The joys of Shift-R. Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Hezemans

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 05:04:15 PM +0100 »

Mr.Hezelmans forgot to activate his setup! Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com