Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 01:36:47 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Dc Nürburgring: April 19, 2009
April 19, 2009, 09:50:37 PM +0100 - Nürburgring (Nordschleife) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
FullMetalGasket
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA300 F1 1967 1 8:22.386
101.698mph
1 42:28.724
100.230mph
5 8:25.468
101.078mph
Firestone  
Kevin_Clark

Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 10 2 +1:19.410
97.201mph
5 8:28.000
100.574mph
Firestone  
Jack O'Ferrall
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 3 +34.877
95.096mph
3 +2:14.233
95.215mph
5 8:49.073
96.568mph
Goodyear  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 4 +38.342
94.487mph
4 +3:21.737
92.878mph
5 8:46.588
97.024mph
Firestone  
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 6 +1:13.281
88.752mph
5 +5:08.784
89.399mph
5 9:13.808
92.255mph
Firestone  
James Andrew

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 9 6 +6:38.267
86.684mph
5 9:15.413
91.988mph
Goodyear  
G Poole

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 5 +1:07.891
89.591mph
7 +7:45.850
84.741mph
5 9:35.714
88.745mph
Goodyear  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 7 +1:39.234
84.923mph
8 +7:05.343
85.895mph
5 9:31.667
89.373mph
Goodyear  
JamesRye
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 2 +13.857
98.968mph
9 +1L
92.913mph
4 8:27.135
100.746mph
Disco
Goodyear  
Burtoner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 11 10 +4L
83.578mph
1 10:07.359
84.121mph
Disco
Firestone  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 8 11 DNS ---
---
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

SUMMARY

A dominant flag to flag win for Tim with Kevin Clarke taking second place having started at the back of the grid. Kevin’s return to GPL is gathering pace. Jack put in another solid drive in his trusty BRM and claimed the final step on the podium.

Server replay time: 0h02m28s

Lap 1 – Flugplatz – Graham Poole and Michael Turner

Robert Burton has made a mess of the Flugplatz, he spins and ends up stationary on the racing line. Several cars take to the grass to avoid him whilst others make minor contact but no real harm is done. By the time Michael Turner arrives on the scene the yellow flags are clearly waving and Michael dutifully slows down. Graham is next along but he fails to notice the yellow flags and consequently he doesn’t moderate his speed. Eventually Graham realizes Michael has slowed down and he tries to move left, away from Michael. Unfortunately Graham doesn’t quite manage it (being airborne over the Flugplatz didn’t help) and slight contact is made. Fortunately everyone can continue unscathed.

Graham should have slowed down in response to the yellow flags but he was probably focussed on getting the Flugplatz right. In the faster divisions, incidents like this would normally attract a penalty but for the tail end of slower divisions, where drivers still have the safety net of a shift R, perhaps advice and encouragement is preferable.

Please keep a look out for yellow flags, especially on lap 1, and slow down accordingly.

Server replay time: 0h02m50s

Lap 1 – Flugplatz – James Rye

This is the first of three shift-Rs performed by James but he only managed to do one Stop and Go. Given that he discoed on Lap 5 and the next runner only completed 1 lap, no amount of time penalties will affect the result so there is little point applying them. However as a learning exercise the following would normally apply.

Lap 1 – Flugplatz – Runs wide on the banking, spins out of control back onto the track and is collected by Bernie. Not Bernie’s fault but other car involved so this would incur a 15 second penalty for no shift-R.

Lap 1 – Aremberg – Runs wide hits barrier and needs to do a shift-R. No other car involved so this would incur a 30 second penalty for no shift-R.

Lap 2 – Pit Lane – Appears to try to do a Stop and Go but aborts.

Lap 3 – Kallenhard – Crashes of his own accord. No other car involved so this would incur a 30 second penalty for no shift-R.

Lap 3 – Pit Lane – Does a protracted Stop and Go as he tries to find his pit box. There is no need to stop in a designated pit box, anywhere in the stalls area will do. Note: this is where GPL may put any of the 19 starters, it is not limited to the area next to the buildings. This stop would negate Lap 3 shift-R at Kallenhard.

For an example of how to do a good Stop and Go, check out Bernie’s exemplary stop on lap 4 (server time 37:38) after his crash at Pflanzgarten on the same lap (server time 35:23).

Server replay time: 0h11m19s

Lap 2 – Sudkehre – Robert Burton and Michael Turner

Robert brakes a bit too late for the Sudkehre, looses the back end and skids to a halt orthogonal to the racing line. Michael has to take to the grass on the outside of the track to avoid him. Robert does the right thing and extricates himself from a dangerous position immediately. Michael rejoins the track just as Robert is getting up to speed. Consequently both drivers are racing for position and side by side contact is made, Michael is knocked off the track.

Robert had to get going quickly and did the right thing sticking to the inside of the track. Michael probably didn’t expect Robert to make such a quick recovery and as he rejoined, Robert’s car was not visible in Michael’s mirrors at any time.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h19m18s

Lap 1 – Schwalbenschwanz – James Rye and Graham Poole

Graham and James are fighting for position on the approach to Schwalbenschwanz. Graham runs wide on the tricky right-hander, makes contact with the bridge parapet and looses a wheel. He has to make a shift R. There was no discernable contact although the nasty bump may have made it feel that way to Graham.

The rules (see Sporting Regulations, Shift-R, Specific Rules for Clubman’s Cup) "A driver is required to make a Stop and Go within 2 laps of any shift R, unless the shift R was necessary as a result of an incident that was entirely the fault of another driver." No contact was made so no blame can be apportioned to any other driver, consequently Graham is required to make a stop and go. Graham suspected contact with James so he elected not to do a Stop and Go hence he is liable to a time penalty.

Server replay time: 0h29m46s

Lap 3 – Tiergarten – James Andrew

James looses control under braking and crashes at Tiergarten. He fails to make a Stop and Go within 2 laps.

• James Andrew — Failure to make a Stop and Go — 30.000 seconds added

Server replay time: 0h33m52s

Lap 4 – Adenaur Forst – Graham Poole

Graham looses control in the difficult dip on the approach to Adenaur Forst. He hits a tree loosing a wheel. He has to make a shift R.

Graham should make a shift R but chooses not to at the end of lap 4 and on the last lap elects to cross the finish line and accept a time penalty. Graham could have performed a Stop and Go on the last lap just before the finish line. This may have saved him some time.

Server replay time: 0h42m10s

Lap 5 – Adenaur Forst – James Andrew

Like Graham, Andrew looses control in the difficult dip on the approach to Adenaur Forst. He also hits the dreaded tree and looses a wheel. He has to make a shift R.

This is the last lap so Andrew crosses the finish line without making a Stop and Go so he is liable for a time penalty. Andrew could have performed a Stop and Go on the last lap just before the finish line.

• James Andrew — Failure to make a Stop and Go — 30.000 seconds added

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup - Nürburgring (Nordschleife) - Apr 19  (Read 5507 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:18:50 PM +0100 »

In Phil’s absence I am posting this one.

The rules have not changed from last season however all drivers are asked to ensure they are familiar with the rules (both general and division specific) and the penalty guidelines.  Also the Recommended Driver Behaviour page has some great info on how to get the most out of racing on-line with GPL.

Please be in VROC UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m (UK London Time)

Race List = VROC
Server = 1.UKGPL
IP address = 194.105.176.22
Race date = 19-04-2009
Time 9:00 pm (UK London Time = GMT)
Track = Nurbergring
Variant = 67F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qualifying time = 35 minutes. Don't start until 30 mins left on clock to allow everyone to join.
Race length = Long (5 laps)
Password: see above

PLEASE NOTE: we are currently having issues with 1.UKGPL so the race may be held on 5.UKGPL (IP address: ping myjamesonline.net) - race will still be on VROC

CHASSIS RESTRICTIONS
These are based on the drivers position in the championship.  Any driver who chooses to take a chassis faster than their position in the championship dictates, must make a mandatory pit stop as defined below.

Group 1
Sam Blood
Tim Muttram

Group 2
Jack O'Ferrall
Phil Thornton

Group 3
Burtoner
Bernie Darwin

Group 4
Kevin Clark
Steve Bird

Pit Stop Times
Group 1
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A
Brabham

N/A

Group 2
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle
Stop and Go

N/A
Ferrari
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 3
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 4
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A

First Pit Window is: 1 (to go on your pit board) to 3 (to go on your pit board)
Second Pit Window is: 3 (to go on your pit board) to 4 (to go on your pit board)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 03:04:10 PM +0100 by vosblod » Logged
JamesRye

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:31:19 PM +0100 »

Well...

I did my usual trick of qualifying well, even setting a personal best (for the BRM) and then going on to be rubbish/the recipient of bad luck. In the race I was hopeless and caused some carnage early on. Was pretty embarassed and tried to move out of the way when re-joining but caused another crash! So I let the whole field re-pass. Battling back up to 5th, I then missed the pit lane but eventually took a SNG on lap 2 or 3.

in an effort to recover the mess I made, I tried to drive faster and just spun and spun. Yes, all in all a pretty desperate drive. To cap things off I got a message to say 'network error detected on device'. At this point, I'd still have managed 4th place.

I cant wait for the 8meg upgrade as hopefully this will cure some of my network problems.

Jim Undecided
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:34:55 PM +0100 »

Exports and Replay here.

http://www.jamesonline.net/ukgpl/2009.04.19_Nurb_Clubmans/

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:50:17 PM +0100 »

Yay! A win - and at the 'Ring of all places  angel
Made a mistake on my first flying lap which allowed James to beat me by a second and take pole. I then crashed at the end of the start straight immediatly after so had to quit back to the pits, remove 2 laps of fuel and get back out there to try and have a second stab at it.
This time my flyer gave a near perfect lap and recorded an 8:22.3 which gave a clear pole.
The start of the race went well and I had James annoying me in my mirrors for the first mile or so until I pulled away a bit. I guess it was sometime after here he made his mistake as I suddenly found myself 10 seconds or so clear of Jack and could concentrate on staying out of the hedges.
I managed this task suprisingly well and hit the armco instead, at the chicane before the S/F straight at the end of lap 2.  hammer
This damaged the car but I carried on regardless as it didn't seem to be having much effect - which was lucky/nice  Grin

I finished the race convinced I had another lap to go, and infact got most of the way back around behind the pits while checking various readouts on Prib to double check before I got out.

Congrats to the finishers - it truely was hell  thumbup1

James, check your cables. You disapear from my screens in a similar fashion to how I occaisionly do on the server replays. I'm convinced I have a short somewhere that only occaisionally manifests itself. Maybe you have the same  Smiley
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:39:03 AM +0100 »

James, check your cables. You disapear from my screens in a similar fashion to how I occaisionly do on the server replays. I'm convinced I have a short somewhere that only occaisionally manifests itself. Maybe you have the same  Smiley

He disappears in 65s too which makes racing him more fun.  Cheesy

JamesRye

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:52:50 AM +0100 »

For the next race I am going to move my PC into my living room and use a physical connection rather than the WiFi connection that I normally use. Despite my bad race, I am very pleased with the laptime on the one fast lap that I managed. My racecraft needs improving though....its all well and good being quick over a single lap, but you've got to be able to keep it on the island to finish.

Congrats to the finishers and especially to Full Metal Gasket, whose pole time was ace. I was actually disconnected during my second lap of qualy, but I was never going to beat the pole time.

looking forward to the next one.... Smiley
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:07:48 AM +0100 »

Ah, WiFi.
I'll say no more  Grin
Kevin_Clark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:35:05 AM +0100 »

I had a pretty good race. I did one or two out laps to check my setup and started from the back again with Burt along side me I think.

The flag dropped and I tootled away to let the carnage at T1 get itself sorted but in fact pretty much everyone got through ok. All the way up to flugplatz I passed a couple of people who had slid wide and I couldn't quite work out if Steve Bird had a problem getting the power down or if he actually let me by Smiley. Over the flug and I came across Burt's ferrari at right angles to the track and clipped his rear but got going again ok.

Then the real race was on.

Lap 2 (I think) I caught up Bernie's lotus and we were nose to tail for a lap or so until half way between karousell and the mini version when we caught up with Jack O'Farrell's BRM. In to the little right hander at the bridge bit I think Jack braked a little early and Bernie braked ok but I didn't. I tried to throw the cooper off to the left but caught the lotus and put it in to a spin. Luckily no damage was done to either and we got going again, I waited round the next corner to let Bernie back past as it had been a good tussle up till then.

Lap 3 (I think) and the chase was back on again as I'd caught the lotus again somewhere in the early twisty section I think. Down in to the twisty bit with the hedge on the left about 3 mins in to the lap and Bernie span at the black and white bridge section. I jjjjjjjust missed him and squeezed by round the back to set about catching Jack's BRM again. I caught up around about karousell again and stayed with him until we got to the place before the mini karousell. I knew he'd braked early there before so thought it might be a good place to get close for a pass again. Sure enough I closed right up and in to mini karousell he was pretty slow. It's not a good section for the BRM. A slow up hill section and 2 first gear corners so I thought I might get a good run somewhere there. I decided to try a run round the outside of the mini karousell. He was slow in but fast out and I didn't quite have enough oomph to get by and I couldn't get close enough for a try on the long back straight or in to T1. So I had to bide my time and wait 8 and half minutes for that corner to try again Smiley

I had a try at the main karousell but it's a bit of a faster section and it's a very long way round so I didn't manage it but into the mini one it paid off. The BRM looked a handful again, I was nice and close, got a good run round the outside with good grip and I was through and clear.

Tim's honda was over a minute up the road so there wasn't much chance of catching that up but I pressed on to build a gap in case I span and in the vain hope the honda might pop but it wasn't to be.

Got a couple of nice sub (just) 30's in to finish second.

Good race.
Michael Turner

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 11:26:58 AM +0100 »

A race that was more fun than I was expecting. An eventful first couple of laps (involving much swapping of places and a couple of bumps which eventually saw me lose touch with the midfield pack) was followed by a quiet mid race. This changed at the end of Lap4 when a blown engine, an SnG and an off at the start of L5 enabled Graham to catch up and overtake me. Graham was so surprised at seeing another car eek that he immediately spun off and I was able to regain the lead. Another off allowed Graham to retake the lead which he held on to until the finish line.

Not a great result but I finished the race with no freezes, no discos and a PB so I was quite pleased at the end.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 07:09:56 PM +0100 »

I did my usual trick of qualifying well, even setting a personal best (for the BRM) and then going on to be rubbish/the recipient of bad luck.

I've just been looking at the race in GPLRA and compared the 3 fastest laps (Kevin, yourself and Me). Looking at these I think you're over-driving the car, you won't loose much time if you brake earlier and more gently (look at mine and Kevin's traces) and will have greater control through/out of the turns.
You have the pace but don't leave yourself enough room for if/when you make a mistake during the race which is what costs you Smiley

As you'll see if you try watching this (use Mike's sever replay) I was on quite a go slow as both of you managed to get ahead of me at points due to my overly early braking - All of the time I made up by the end was down to errors you two make, presumably due to pushing too hard and not having time to collect the car sufficiently  Smiley

There was something almost mesmerising about watching Kevin's and my traces fight for position from Karusell upto mini karusell 
For some reason I want to describe it as poetic almost, but am not sure that's the word I want angel
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:11:36 PM +0100 by FullMetalGasket » Logged
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:45:44 PM +0100 »

I did my usual trick of qualifying well, even setting a personal best (for the BRM) and then going on to be rubbish/the recipient of bad luck.

I've just been looking at the race in GPLRA and compared the 3 fastest laps (Kevin, yourself and Me). Looking at these I think you're over-driving the car, you won't loose much time if you brake earlier and more gently (look at mine and Kevin's traces) and will have greater control through/out of the turns.
You have the pace but don't leave yourself enough room for if/when you make a mistake during the race which is what costs you Smiley

As you'll see if you try watching this (use Mike's sever replay) I was on quite a go slow as both of you managed to get ahead of me at points due to my overly early braking - All of the time I made up by the end was down to errors you two make, presumably due to pushing too hard and not having time to collect the car sufficiently  Smiley

There was something almost mesmerising about watching Kevin's and my traces fight for position from Karusell upto mini karusell 
For some reason I want to describe it as poetic almost, but am not sure that's the word I want angel

SHE has taught and prepared him well!  I Am Not Worthy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com