Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
April 24, 2024, 12:51:17 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Di Kyalami: May 17, 2009
May 17, 2009, 09:49:02 PM +0100 - Kyalami (1961-67) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Inter League
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Hristo Itchov
 UKGPL
Honda RA300 F1 1967 1 1:19.336
---
1 54:15.914
---
40 1:20.192
---
Firestone  
john roberts
 UKGPL
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 8 +1.811
---
2 +24.843
---
40 1:21.070
---
Goodyear  
Samb
 UKGPL
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 6 +1.387
---
3 +39.083
---
40 1:20.602
---
Firestone  
Jonathan Stiener67
 oAo
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 4 +0.559
---
4 +42.616
---
40 1:20.042
---
Goodyear  
EvilClive
 UKGPL
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 7 +1.490
---
5 +48.158
---
40 1:20.512
---
Goodyear  
Nigel Bradbury
 oAo
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 2 +0.018
---
6 +1L
---
39 1:20.406
---
Firestone  
bo bruce
 oAo
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 11 +2.510
---
7 +1:09.002
---
39 1:22.185
---
Goodyear  
MikeBeattie
 UKGPL
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 5 +1.354
---
8 +4L
---
36 1:20.577
---
Firestone  
Dorobantzu Niky
 oAo
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 14 +3.451
---
9 +19L
---
21 1:23.037
---
Firestone  
Turkey Machine
 UKGPL
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 3 +0.210
---
10 +21L
---
19 1:20.730
---
Goodyear  
Rich Ingham67
 oAo
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 17 +5.346
---
11 +24L
---
16 1:24.467
---
Firestone  
Doni Yourth
 UKGPL
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 10 +2.189
---
12 +25L
---
15 1:22.657
---
Firestone  
Jack O'Ferrall
 UKGPL
BRM P115 F1 1967 16 +4.173
---
13 +1.846
---
15 1:24.608
---
Goodyear  
Sebastian Vign
 oAo
Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 12 +2.861
---
14 +1:46.093
---
15 1:22.023
---
Goodyear  
Chris Darkes
 oAo
BRM P115 F1 1967 9 +2.065
---
15 +26L
---
14 1:22.564
---
Goodyear  
bernie
 UKGPL
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 13 +3.227
---
16 +36L
---
4 1:24.573
---
Firestone  
Milo Johnson
 UKGPL
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 15 +3.461
---
17 +37L
---
3 1:24.564
---
Firestone  
Hristo Itchov
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA300 F1 1967 18 DNS ---
---
Firestone  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 19 ---
---
Firestone  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Inter League - Kyalami - oAo - May 17  (Read 10358 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2009, 05:02:52 PM +0100 »

The instructions are in the Amateurs race thread from earlier this season.

https://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6050.0

Clive Loynes

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2009, 07:00:46 PM +0100 »

I have a good feeling for tonight, even though it's Kya! If only we had Clive with his experience of 180 Kyalami races...  Roll Eyes

LOL

I don't know, you get one sentence "arse about face" and it haunts you for the rest of your days!   censored

Good luck for tonight and give Chris Darkes a good welcome.  He used to be a UKGPL mod.

SBRC  UKPnG Season 6, 7 & 8 Champions (Missed Season 9 by a gnat's nadger!)
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2009, 10:34:19 PM +0100 »

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did a great time in practice, my last run I just kept going faster and faster, new PB at Kyalami, dead impressed, put me 3rd on the grid.

When the flag dropped (bloody quickly I might add Roll Eyes ) I got the jump on the Lotus, had a run on Hristo and chucked it up the inside of Crowthorne <joke> so he could have a go at keeping somebody behind from the rival league for once whilst I kept a watching brief up front. </joke> Wink Everything was going gravy for about 16 laps, I put in consistent laps, in a sleepy stupor half the time, and just subconsciously lapped 1:21s, 1:20s, all the time keeping Hristo and Nick about 1 or 2 or 3 seconds behind. Backmarkers were superb, until one collision at the fast Jukskei Sweep brought chaos in new and unmeasured forms for both the 4 backmarkers in front of me and Hristo and Nige behind. I didn't react fast enough despite the fact I could see the chaos unfold about a second before I entered the corner. I ended up hitting somebody squarely on the racing line, continuing in the lead, seeing what damage if any there was, and carrying on at a gentle pace with Hristo really on the march behind. Whilst I discovered the Eagle was down on power, Hristo continued to nip at my heels, and I let him go into Leeukop, where I followed him for a lap to discover if the Eagle was further handicapped. It was - the engine promptly blew after Leeukop a lap after Hristo passed me. I wasn't even pushing it that hard, but I am so gutted because I was so comfortable that race, and it was all taken away from me. Sad

UKGPL were leading at the point of disconnection, 2nd, 4th as well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:18:35 PM +0100 by Turkey Machine » Logged

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2009, 11:14:40 PM +0100 »

My race went well , until Lap 4  Roll Eyes

MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2009, 11:24:12 PM +0100 »

Really chuffed with my qualifying, very pleased to get into the mid 1.20s with the Cooper, looking at the list both Bernie and I way out qualified their Cooper drivers.

Off the Line got a good start and got ahead of oAo's J Steiner, which turned out to be my undoing as he gave my gearbox a bang mid corner and I converted 4th spot to about 12th, rejoining just in front of C Darkes. Turned into T2 only to get another bang, this time from a very fast approaching Evil who was getting a run down the inside. This time the Cooper  held the track, but it felt a bit twitchy on the left handers for the next few laps.

Kept plugging away and with others falling off I was up to 6th in as many laps. Had a bit of a see-saw dice with Jon Steiner's Brabham, which kept appearing in my mirrors and then having a wobble and falling back. He eventually got past but then fell off.

With Jethro's departure, I was up to 4th, but could see on Probula that Sam was closing in. I spun at T2 and he was ahead and once again I had Master Steiner on my case. This continued until Lap 37, when suddenly the car started to miss....No gas !! Darn !!  I was chuggin round to try and finish the lap, to be sure of getting points, but got collected by Jonathan as we approached the last turn. I turned turtle, but amazingly his Brabham survived, especially as he had already ar*e rammed one of his own side's tailenders while trying to pass me into T1 about 10 laps earlier  Smiley No doubt about it, Jack made them tough  Wink

Grats to Hristo on the win and to UKGPL who seem to have held the day !!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:25:55 PM +0100 by MikeBeattie » Logged

Cheers Mike
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2009, 11:32:26 PM +0100 »

Woohoo! Congrats to the team for a great win! Hopefully we can keep on getting results like this. As for my race, well it went okay and I did manage to bag my first, fortuitous, podium in an Interleague event, but I did spin off a couple of times losing about 20 seconds. I spent quali re-aquainting myself with the Lotus. It took me about 3 laps each time I set out the pits to get in the groove, but I kept making small errors and finally managing a time of 1.20:7, more than half a second slower than my best effort.

The start began and the flagman dropped the green flag very quickly which caught out a few of us. I had to avoid the car infront and gave the pitwall a clout, and then had to swerve to avoid rear-ending the same car on the run down to Crowthorne! When the field spread out I found myself in 4th, behind the leading trio of Jethro, Hristo and Nige. I then fell foul of the Lotus being a complete sod to drive and lost the back end on lap 6, losing 3 places.

From then on, it was a rather lonely drive to the finish. I spun again on lap 14 and was a good distance away from the car ahead and behind. I only picked up places here and there from other's misfortunes. On the last lap, Nige's engine called it quits and I lucked into the final podium, behind John and Hristo. It was nice to have the luxury of fast car this race although I feel that it may be more deserved in other people's hands. Still, should the opportunity arise, I'd like to drive the Lotus once more this season.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:10 AM +0100 »

I have a good feeling for tonight, even though it's Kya! If only we had Clive with his experience of 180 Kyalami races...  Roll Eyes

LOL

I don't know, you get one sentence "arse about face" and it haunts you for the rest of your days!   censored

Good luck for tonight and give Chris Darkes a good welcome.  He used to be a UKGPL mod.

Bah, look at it on the bright side, Clive. 180 Kya races, real or not, is so intimidating to whoever hears it for the first time! In fact, it's even intimidating when I hear it now and know the actual truth!

Yes, actually I got Chris to race in my Honda team in oAo for the next season starting in June. Hiki Waza reigns over two leagues now! Hope the original owners and Evil don't mind.  Grin

All our victories are belong to HER! Like today actually!  Grin

I had a near perfect lap in qualifying to snatch pole by 1-2 hundreds of a second from Nige and then made a decent start, trying not to rev too high or drop the revs below torque range. Jethro rocketed though and deservingly took over the lead in T1.

My task now was to defend from Nige and in a few laps the long battle began. Jethro pulled a few tenths now and then, eventually increasing his lead to about 3 seconds, but Nige was rarely more than 1 second behind. I did my best to avoid using Honda's maximum revs and must admit Pribluda really helps to keep an eye on the oil temperature and control the pace to ensure the reliability of the engine.

It was still a bit of a risk because whenever Nige was too close and into my slipstream I had no choice but to use the full revs of the engine. The only way to compensate was by doing perfect gear shifts, but I think I still skipped a beat in some of them.  Roll Eyes

Unfortunately, a few laps before mid-distance, there was a sudden blockage made of cars past the crest at T3 and despite stepping onto the brakes a collision was unavoidable. The first contact wasn't too bad, but as my car had spun from it and going sideways, it went into a very slowly going Eagle and the impact with it was much harder. By sheer luck I didn't flip over, lose any wheels or even have noticeable damage, and what was better was that I was facing the right way when all came to rest.  Shocked

Apparently Nige was less fortunate and dropped behind JR. Jethro continued ahead but he was lacking the speed and after following him for a lap he realized he had to give up the lead. Tough luck there, Jethro, you almost had that race in the bag.  Sad

After he retired, I had nobody in close proximity and just focused on keeping it on the road and staying focused. Pribluda allowed me to keep one eye on the gaps down the field and follow JR's defense from Nige's attack. It appeared it last for very long, almost 20 laps, so great drive there, JR.  Smiley

I had a moment with Niky of the opposing team, who was not sure where to let me by and nearly turned into me in the last corner, but then he turned left and went off instead. Bo was much more courteous, but he also spun in the last corner just after letting me by.

I went for a fastest lap on the last lap (oil temp wasn't high, I swear!), but made a few mistakes. Although it still ended up as my fastest lap, Jon Steiner grabbed the overall fastest lap of the race.  Angry

Feels great to finally score so well as a team, although it was a shame to have such high level of attrition for both teams.

Grats to oAo for the effort, welcome Chris Darkes back to GPL racing and uhm, see you next time!

Cheers,

-=Hristo=-

bo bruce

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2009, 01:27:27 AM +0100 »

well i had a personal good time, and as before enjoy the competition and the concept - so thanks and congrats to the UKGPL for soundly trouncing oAo this time. 
tho i still take some pride in an oAo driver (torn between 2 lovers?) Hristo choosing to represent UKGPL and winning Smiley

a 7th from 11th was satisfying, i ran consistent laps. (is there a replay?)  so on that note i was happy.
but as Admin of oAo i am extremely disappointed in oAo's level of interest. i was finally able to get an 8th driver to commit at the last moment, and we had some musical chairs playing of who was going to drive what right up till we joined the UKGPL chat. 

this just will not do. it was fun for sure, and my guys gave it their best effort, but Hristo knows we didn't bring our "A" game, and if i can't get more interest for the next time.... well sadly there won't be a next time. it took a huge effort to corral 8 - and we have 50 drivers in oAo!

hats off to the UKGPL... by yourselves a pint and send me the tab~ 
bo bruce
oAo Commissioner/admin

ps  our races always start on time Wink
Doni Yourth

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2009, 02:39:47 AM +0100 »

WooHoo!!!  V for VICTORY for the UKGPL!!!

Grats to the team for a comprehensive O/A win point-wise and sweeping the podium, no less.  Great job!

Hristo was...well, Hristo...in piling on great laps in the Honda.  Splendid job by John R to romp home a very fine P2 in the Brabham.  A bit lucky, perhaps, was Sam to leap up onto the podium in the dying moments when oAo driver, Nigel Bradbury, fell victim to probs at the last moment.  HEY!!!  We'll take 'em any way we can!!!   Cheesy

Very sorry to learn that Jethro was savaged from the lead in the multi-car fiasco which involved me.  More on this later.

Q was a considerable disappointment for me as I failed to improve on the 1:21.11 PB I'd set early in the day.  With some slight but hopefully worthwhile adjustments, I was shooting for sub-21's.  Didn't happen.  I had great difficulty keeping the car on the road in early flying laps so abandoned the 'improvements' to settle for what got me the PB in the first place.  Gridded P10.

The starter dropped the green without delay but I was ready.  I got a way well but checked up as Sam ahead was clearly having some difficulties and I feared we'd all get funneled into a big scrum with no good result.  Before I hit the green button to go to the grid, I took a good look to see who was around me.  I noticed that the next two rows ahead of me were occupied exclusively with UKGPL'ers so I wasn't in the least going to get fancy with an overtake possibility unless it was a pure gift.  Right behind, a phalanx of oAo'ers.  Things got sorted out quickly, tho, and I made off towards T1 getting an inside run on Chris Darkes BRM.  On the way down there, I saw a car off onto the verge on the left.  Huh  That can't be good, I thought.  Turns out, it was Evil having to abort a pass attempt to the outside and being obliged to be very careful in rejoining the track surface.  Bad luck there, EC.  Up to P9

Thru Crowthorne for the first time and I give CD a bit of room on the high side but the position is secured.  Up to P8.  Hello?  A red or orange car is skipping thru the outfileld between Crowthorne and BBQ.  By in a flash.  Up to P7.  SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!   Grin

JR was just up the road with Sam just in front of him and I'd hoped to be able to stay with this group but gradually over the next two laps, the gap opened up.  That red/orange car that I'd seen off on L1 was now closing fast behind me and I could see that it was a Cooper.  I'd noted in Q that Mike was driving the JoBo T81 so figured it had to be him.  Confirmation at the end of L3 when my pitguy flashed me that it was, indeed, MB close behind.  Showing obviously cleaner pace and being a teammate, I elected to move right under the bridge and ease up on the throttle to let Mike thru.  The swap went off with a minimum of muss and fuss.  I took up station behind Mike and just ahead of a Brabham.  I'd have to wait for a lap to identify this new pursuer.

Over the balance of this lap, L4, the BT19 was all over me with and I could see it sliding about in my mirrors.  Clearly someone late for an appointment.  Still, I wasn't about to roll over for anyone except a teammate and was determined to make a go of it til I found whom it was.  Coming off the Kink to finish the lap and start L5, the Brabham is shadowing me very closely indeed.  The S/F line was just metres away when I changed up to top gear and this apparently, caught the Brabham driver unawares.  Being mere inches behind me...foolishly close, I'd say...when my car hesitated on the changeup, he veered to the right but was much too close to avoid drilling my RR corner sending me off to the left.  Without a hope and now a mere passenger, my Ferrari  slashed into the berm on the left at 160 mph.  If this had been R-L, I'd have been KIA on the spot.  More like murder, in fact.  Only later in viewing the replay did I find out that it was an oAo driver, one John Steiner.  Hey, Mr. Steiner.  How does it feel to know that you just killed someone?

The World kinda went a little crazy for a bit there as my 312 did a full gainer under the Dunlop bridge but astoundingly, landed on its wheels and spun to a halt on the infield.  I thought the engine KO'd but it responded to blip so I thought, WTH.  I got going again in P14 and the car felt a little wonky as it might having undergone a severe fright.  I found Rached just up ahead in the Cooper and tagged onto him for a bit.  Next lap, coming off Jukskei, I thought I detected Rich letting off to let me thru so I sifted up on his right for the pass going into Sunset.  I may have misinterpreted that momentary hesitation from RI, tho, as it seemed that he accelerated again towards Sunset and I feared that I got myself up under him leaving nowhere to go.  Sry.  In scoping the replay later, I see that Rich did indeed have a moment there but made a brilliant, tank-slapping save.  Nice one, Rachet!

Up to P12 now, I closed in on Chris and Doro of the oAo who were engaged in what looked to me like a not-so-friendly duel.  For teammates, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of cooperation going on there from what I could see.  I thought that the prospect of vaulting both these cars a distinct possibilty and running in the top 10 would be a reasonable result considering my earlier drama.  I held station for a couple of laps to see if the hard driving I was witnessing would resolve the issue in my favour but no, it was still looking for all the World like a pier 6 brawl so I thought I'd move in to see if I could bounce both Chris and Doro when they weren't looking.  Bad idea.  Should have waited another 30 seconds.  L15 and Chris and Doro go thru the tricky Jukskei sweeper virtually side-by-side.  It looked for a moment from my vantage point that they made thru but suddenly, there was contact and I found myself staring at Doro's Ferrari mid-track at speed.  WAMO!!!  A severe collision has me off the road on the left but incredibly, I still have all four corners attached and am still mobile.  One tuff little car, this 312!   Grin  I'm facing the roadway and think I've got enough room to pull left and get onto the very edge of the track surface but I've misjudged...possibly due to a lack of low-speed steering lock, too, which has plagued me of late in VROC...and get rather far out onto the line than I should have to give poor Sebastian Vign of the oAo nowhere to go but straight into me.  A third major prang and the race isn't even to half-distance as yet.  Very sorry, SV...I know that must have been quite a shock.  But take note...I was only at that point in space and time thanks to two incidents involving YOUR club's drivers.  Smiley

Both Sebastian and I chugged away and I could feel a bit more damage this time and small wonder.  We both got back up to speed...?...as best we could and in the next lap, SV got a little wide and had to check up at BBQ to open the door for me to make the easy pass on the left on the run up to Jukskei.  This I had thought to be the case.  Being off-line on the left in making the pass, I was obliged to lift a bit early to not run wide on the exit to Jukskei.  WAMO!!!  AGAIN!!!  I don't know yet...can't tell from the replay...exactly what happened.  Either Sebastian was caught off-guard by my lifting to make the corner or he turned in on me or maybe even GPL went for a fit and decided to shunt us off.  In any event, instead of arcing thru into P11, I was greeted with the sight of the bank rushing up to me at a million miles per hour.  WAMO!!!  Up the berm and over, cascading down onto the verge and rolling over onto my lid right on the line.  Jack was directly behind us and was first on the accident scene...with the exception of Sebas and I, of course...and made it thru by the skin of his teeth.  Must have been quite a sight!  Poor Jethro, running nicely in the lead, was first to be sacrificed.  WAMO!!!  Straight into my inverted Ferrari.  That's not bad luck, JW...that's ****ing cruel.  Sad  So sry, mate.  Next up was Hristo who seems to have managed to avoid all the big carnage only to slide into Jack who'd lost all manner of speed in avoiding the initial shunt.  Both ended up in wicked spins after the heavy contact.  Nigel appears out of nowhere in my replay and collects me to grind to a halt from his P3 placing but ultimately recovers but down a spot to JR.  Quite the party!

As I'd ended up on my lid, no option but to retire.  Not a very satisfactory result.

CU next round!
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2009, 02:06:27 PM +0100 »

Congratulations the the UKGPL Interleague Team on an excellent win overall AND, the total podium to boot. You done us proud lads, good show, eh what!

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
Jonathan Stiener

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2009, 09:59:02 PM +0100 »

WooHoo!!!  V for VICTORY for the UKGPL!!!

JR was just up the road with Sam just in front of him and I'd hoped to be able to stay with this group but gradually over the next two laps, the gap opened up.  That red/orange car that I'd seen off on L1 was now closing fast behind me and I could see that it was a Cooper.  I'd noted in Q that Mike was driving the JoBo T81 so figured it had to be him.  Confirmation at the end of L3 when my pitguy flashed me that it was, indeed, MB close behind.  Showing obviously cleaner pace and being a teammate, I elected to move right under the bridge and ease up on the throttle to let Mike thru.  The swap went off with a minimum of muss and fuss.  I took up station behind Mike and just ahead of a Brabham.  I'd have to wait for a lap to identify this new pursuer.

Over the balance of this lap, L4, the BT19 was all over me with and I could see it sliding about in my mirrors.  Clearly someone late for an appointment.  Still, I wasn't about to roll over for anyone except a teammate and was determined to make a go of it til I found whom it was.  Coming off the Kink to finish the lap and start L5, the Brabham is shadowing me very closely indeed.  The S/F line was just metres away when I changed up to top gear and this apparently, caught the Brabham driver unawares.  Being mere inches behind me...foolishly close, I'd say...when my car hesitated on the changeup, he veered to the right but was much too close to avoid drilling my RR corner sending me off to the left.  Without a hope and now a mere passenger, my Ferrari  slashed into the berm on the left at 160 mph.  If this had been R-L, I'd have been KIA on the spot.  More like murder, in fact.  Only later in viewing the replay did I find out that it was an oAo driver, one John Steiner.  Hey, Mr. Steiner.  How does it feel to know that you just killed someone?

CU next round!

1st,

My apologies to Mike and Doni for our collisions on track. Maybe this isn't an excuse, but I have not done a GPL race in almost 3 years, and I admit this is the 1st time I've done a race in GPL using Vista. For whatever reason, I guess Vista doesn't recognize GPL as an active running process, and since I have power saving features enabled on my machine, My monitor went to sleep on me on 3 different occasions during the race. 2 of them at very bad times. Doni, right as I was drafting you on the front straight, and getting ready to pull out of your slipstream, my monitor went to sleep, and I had no idea where I was going! I just held the wheel as straight as possible while at the same time wiggling my mouse to bring it out of sleep. My sincere apologies. I thought this was a freak occurence, so i didnt worry about it, until it happened again later in the race while battling with Mike, which was a gr8 battle. Mike must have thought I was either out of control or drunk, because twice during our battle my screen went to sleep on me again! Which mike explains why you would see me casually driving off the tarmac!  Grin I will admit mike on the last lap when you ran out of gas, I can't blame my monitor for that shunt, I was not expecting you to slow so much, and now after seeing you say you were on fumes it makes sense, but I will admit it caught me off guard, and i felt horrible for putting you out like that. I will agree that Jack made these Brabs like tanks though! Smiley

Other than those above stated incidents, I did actually have a fantastic race, and I was really excited to beat out Mr. Hristo in his screamin Honda for fast lap! Not bad for literally my 1st race in 3yrs hugh!  laugh I was glad I managed to finish all 40 which is what my intentions were the whole time, and I was for sure quite lucky with all the excitement this race presented me. Congrats to UKGPL for soundly whipping our tales. But I don want to congratulate my team on an gr8 effort, and to Bo for inviting me.

Jonathan Stiener (i before e.. ) Smiley
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2009, 10:07:03 PM +0100 »

Just a quick apology to Mike Beattie.... Undecided

After my pre race rant about not taking out yer team mate I only clobbered him T2  lap 1!!! fortunately he survived  Wink

It all started off the grid , and I think it was the fact that Mike bogged down a bit at the start. I got a good one and suddenly realised I was about to rear end the red Cooper in front so aborted to the grass. Played safe and allowed the whole field to go past before rejoining.

The tail enders were so slow into T1 that I was amongst them before I realised and made up a couple of places slipping around the inside. I think ( but I'm not sure) that I was then faced witha BRM gearbox belonging to Dave, so I jinked to the inside again approaching T2....only to realise that there was a red Cooper incoming from the outfield to my left. Tried to hug the inside kerb but there was contact. Shocked

I was undamaged and continued and tried to work out from Prib who I had hit.. whoever it was kept going because no-one dropped out ...phew!!!

Picked my way up through the field until I got to about 6th place, and a spin by the car in front lifted me to 5th behind Samb in his Lotus.

I was happy with that as UKGPL now had control in the top places, and all we needed to do was nurse it to the finish...Instead of worrying about tactics and prib,  I should have concentrated on my driving as I overshot the right hander on to the main straight, going very wide but avoiding any damage. This allowed the oAo Brabham driver ( Jo Stiener)  through with about half the race to run, and I chased him as hard as my tyres would allow for the next 15 laps, trading a second here and there as we both made small mistakes. Eventually I had to ease back with both rear tyres showing red, rather than risk a DNF.
Last lap I passed the unlucky Nige to pick up another place.

Despite my efforts to take out a couple of UKGPL cars it was agood team performance and if we can repeat that sort of consistant driving we can take on anybody.

Jethro was very unlucky to be caught up in the melee at half distance and have to quit and Hristo was his usual self. John kept his pace up to the end and Samb kept it in there as well. It shows we have the speed to take on most alien aliens and the strength in depth to compete for the middle order places too, which is the key to winning these events.

I think that was our best team performance to date....give yourself a big pat on the back guys Grin Grin Grin clap clap punk punk thumbup2
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:09:27 PM +0100 by EvilClive » Logged

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @    evilclive67
Rank   Only when I sweat
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:59 PM +0100 »

Ahem... you were still ahead of six drivers Clive when you rejoined, including me- it was Chris Darkes among the 'so slow' tail-enders ahead of you.  That just makes me feel sooo good...

I had an unspectacular race in last, Doni passed me after his off and Sebastian after his start from the pits which had me confused as he wasn't on the pit board for some reason.  I had to slow for the collision when Doni rejoined in front of Sebastian, but had plenty of warning.  The second time was different... with both cars on my right I decided my best chance was to persuade the BRM to take Jukskei and then stay to the left, however Sebastian's Eagle managed to detach itself from the bank and spin over the track.  Mid-lurch is never the best time to cajole the BRM into another manoeuvre, but somehow I corrected into the middle and between the two cars, losing about 40 mph and all my tyre tread in the process.  

However there my considerable luck ran out.  I had to move from the centre of the track and regain speed, so I went right because Doni's Ferrari was on the right whereas the Eagle was spinning off the track.  This calculation neglected to consider Jethro and Hristo's fullback-tailback plan, which sprang Hristo through a nonexistent gap and straight into my engine, which apparently exploded rather than damage his Honda.. I suppose this could count as team luck?  Also, how come Hristo is 40 mph faster than me with his car entirely sideways, surely it should only be faster in the direction he is pointing it?

Congratulations to Hristo anyway, and thanks to Bo and oAo.  Sorry again for the ten minute delay, we had to switch server, which was further complicated as we've only just got our usual Vroc server ukgpl1 back and didn't want to entrust it with this race.  The incidents were unfortunate and seemed to be from both teams, in fact I noted that at one point there was simultaneously a driver from each team pulling out too late on a passing attempt... Rejoins onto the track at a ninety degree angle in front of another driver aren't on though, while its always frustrating to be pushed off, its the sort of habit I have to tell some of our Novice drivers off for.

It would be a disappointment to lose this fixture, since it seemed to be raced in great spirit and getting drivers back into GPL is to be encouraged, even if only for the occasional race.  Perhaps I should contact the other admins again a month before the race, rather than a fortnight?  It's one matter to have a schedule but another to have to organise a team, even when we do it regularly we sometimes end up short.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com