by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 01, 2024, 11:30:58 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone having PC problems since update?  (Read 3954 times)
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 07:26:13 PM +0100 »

Looks like I will need to do something like that although I don't know where the problems exist. They have only come about since the update.

I reinstalled iRacing last night and hoped that would solve the problem. First race tonight it crashed again.

It's genuinely cost me 600-700 iRating points now with the amount of random crashes and killed my week on one of my strongest tracks. Another -75 already tonight.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 02:28:19 AM +0100 »

My pc seems to be running fine offline but only during racing it crashes.

I've removed loads of programs from my PC including all iTunes and Nokia and my Forte manager for my monitor.

Still crashes.

I've updated any drivers that required to be.

I deleted and reinstalled iRacing on a couple of occasions now.

I've tried AlexVW suggestion it still crashes.

Now from random crashes every few days it's now crashed 4 times in the last 5 races.

Something is seriously wrong somewhere and I'm pulling my hair out.

Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 02:33:36 AM +0100 »

Forgot to say the last logged event at time of crash this time was Security center.

I've never had issues like this before and something is wrong, really wrong.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:49 AM +0100 »

Crashed again, 1.5 laps to go in the lead again then crash.

I left the PC running over night running and nothing appears in the event viewer.

Back to iRacing and it crashes. Secuirty centre in the only entry in event viewer.

I can't work out it security center is at fault or if that "The windows security service has started" message is there because of the restart.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 11:28:47 AM +0100 »

Back to iRacing and it crashes. Secuirty centre in the only entry in event viewer.

If iRacing is triggering the crashes and it doesn't crash when working 'normally' or in less graphically demanding games then that strongly suggests that the PSU or the graphics card is knackered.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Damien Culleton

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:41 AM +0100 »

Brian have you reinstalled windows yet?

I done so last weekend after mysterious performance slowdown on my system and simply couldnt track down the problem ,AVG found nothing etc.
I just knew there was a major issue and some underlying virus so i just reinstalled everything and it sorted out everything.
I know its a drastic measure but it was well worth it.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 12:06:42 PM +0100 »

I've not reinstalled windows Damien.      I've changed a couple of more things and just leaving the car on the track on iRacing just now to test.     How can you test if your PSU is not producing the juice? I was told that my ez cool 500w supply was the weakest link in my pc. However it's been fine before.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 01:10:37 PM +0100 »

I just tried to convert a film from AVI to DVD format as I know that puts the PC under a lot of strain.

The convertion runs at 180FPS and this caused the PC to crash.

So it seems the PC is crashing under heavy loads. Where do I go from here?
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 01:20:31 PM +0100 »

So it seems the PC is crashing under heavy loads. Where do I go from here?

That does rather suggest that your PSU is on the way out.

Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 01:27:13 PM +0100 »

Is there any method of testing the PSU or is it a case of changing it and hope?

Are all PSU the same physical size and interchangeable?

Any recommendations on what to buy?

http://www.silicon-group.co.uk/category.asp?cat=Cases, PSUs and Acc This is my nearest PC shop.

I forgot to add after the last crash I did not reset right away. The security center does appear on event viewer after reload rather than before.

So nothing is logged at all.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 02:34:04 PM +0100 »

Are all PSU the same physical size and interchangeable?

Pretty much - all current PCs use ATX v2 supplies - the only thing to make sure of is that it has enough of the right sort of connectors, but generally unless you have a graphics card needing 8 million 6-pin connectors or something anything decent should work. I bought a few spare X-Power units from Maplin which seem like good value and good quality.

Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 02:54:09 PM +0100 »

I gutted out the PC and checked everything. Every last bit of dust removed and used some electrical cleaner.

Tried a video conversion again and it worked fine.

It then lasted the 2PM race, wooooooooohhhhhhoooooooooo.

Won it by nearly 30secs too and pulled back some lost points, 171.

Lets just hope it's done the trick.
Damien Culleton

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 03:00:13 PM +0100 »

Crashing under heavy load sugests overheating to me Brian.
Dust can cause this so please God your removal of dust might have sorted it for you.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 05:00:53 PM +0100 »

I'm looking better now that's two races with no problems. However I suffered a disconnection about 30 seconds after the race ended, so that was lucky.

There was countless fast people in the last race but the pole sitter was wild. Wolfgang jumped him at the start and I was going up the inside T1 where he decided to squeeze me right into the wall.

I touched it and bent the suspension but luckily got a 0xcontact. He then wildly punted Wolfgang off in T2, did not even seem to brake.

Shame as me and Wolfgang had a classic race the other day where we both ended up throwing it away and let the 3rd place guy steal the win.

I spun out as caught out by ill handling car and rejoined 2nd from last a mile down. Managed to claw my way back up to third and gain another 165 points, good in the circumstances.

Feeling good again that my PC is working but daft now as I've deleted half my software trying to get somewhere. At least most of my other dodgy material is on my other hard disc that I could unplug.
Kerr

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 12:57:27 AM +0100 »

3 races now without a problem so I'm hopefull things are good.

Managed yet another win. Without the computer problems I could have won nearly every race this week with the exception of the ones than included Richard Towler and Volker Hackmann.

Barely made a mistake on circuit this week, I can only remember a couple of 1x and a 4x rear end nudge from Wolfgang.

Other than that my SR is built up nicely to kill at Lime rock.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: