Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 08:41:04 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Dc Rouen: May 03, 2009
May 03, 2009, 09:41:06 PM +0100 - Rouen (1955-70) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
FullMetalGasket
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA300 F1 1967 2 +2.479
---
1 36:25.682
---
18 2:00.015
---
Firestone  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 1 1:58.047
---
2 (+4) +56.084
---
18 1:58.427
---
Firestone  
Jack O'Ferrall
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 4 +3.467
---
3 +1:20.710
---
18 2:02.395
---
Goodyear  
Geoff65
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 6 +4.018
---
4 (+2) +1L
---
17 2:01.235
---
Firestone  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 5 +3.770
---
5 +1.346
---
17 2:03.719
---
Goodyear  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 3 +3.155
---
6 (+3) +19.573
---
17 2:02.349
---
Firestone  
G Poole

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 7 +5.031
---
7 +16.316
---
17 2:04.024
---
Goodyear  
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 8 +5.690
---
8 +23.787
---
17 2:02.137
---
Firestone  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 9 +6.131
---
9 +35.664
---
17 2:04.118
---
Firestone  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 10 DNS ---
---
Firestone  

Moderator's Report

SUMMARY

Another impressive win for Tim with Jack O’Ferrall claiming a well deserved second place in the BRM. Tim and Jack were the only drivers to have a clean race with the rest of the field experiencing problems of one sort or another. Eventually Bernie emerged from the melee to stand on the final place on the podium.

Server replay time: 0

Lap 1 – Nouveau Monde – Phil Thornton and Jack O’Ferrall

Phil Thornton gets caught out on cold tyres under braking for Nouveau Monde and hits the tyre wall coming to a stop at the side of the track. Instead of keeping the clutch in and brakes on until the track is clear, he fumbles around with the gears and ends up reversing into Jack O’Ferrall. The whole field is backed up while the mess is sorted out.

Although Phil’s car was still on the track it was off the racing line and the best option here was to remain stationary until there was a suitable gap. Phil was having trouble selecting the right gear but that is no excuse for reversing into the rest of the field. This incident occurred on the first lap and consequently attracts a further place penalty.

• Phil Thorntonpenalty — Appallingly Bad Rejoin — 4 places lost

Server replay time: 0h02m09s

Lap 1 – Sanson - Vlad Vosblod – Graham Poole

Graham is under pressure from Vlad Vosblod and in an effort to get a good drive out of Sanson he applies a little too much throttle and the back end of the Eagle steps out. Graham manages to avoid a spin by putting in masses of opposite lock but this has the effect of slewing the car round the other way towards the right hand side of the track. Vlad sees the Eagle veering off to the left and accelerates away from Sanson keeping to the right hand edge of the track. Unfortunately contact is made.

Graham’s loss of control was obviously a major factor in this incident. The exit of this corner is more like a standing start than a controlled accelerating slide from a fast bend. The differential settings are critical for ensuring a clean get away from a standing start.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h20m07s

Lap 10 – Six Freres – Phil Thornton and Michael Turner

Thornton spins and is clipped by Michael Turner.

There was nothing Michael could do to avoid Phil’s spinning Ferrari.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h24m25s

Lap 11 – Paradis – Geoff Heard and Michael Turner

Michael makes a mistake exiting Paradis and ends up on the grass on the inside of the circuit. He tries to rejoin but instead of easing back onto the edge of the track he drives into the middle of the track just as Geoff is approaching at speed. Despite a valiant effort to avoid contact, Geoff cannot prevent a massive collision.

Michael should have carefully eased back onto the side of the track and kept to the edge of the tarmac whilst he built up speed. Michael was straddling the white centre lines doing 23 mph whilst Geoff was doing 131 mph when contact was made. Geoff had managed to slow down a little but he had no chance of avoiding Michael. Consequently Michael must shoulder all the responsibility for this incident.

• Michael Turnerpenalty — Appallingly Bad Rejoin — 3 places lost

Server replay time: 0h24m31s

Lap 11 – Paradis –Michael Turner

The incident that resulted in Michael making a shift-R was not the sole responsibility of another driver consequently Michael should have done a Stop & Go.

• Michael Turner — Failure to make a Stop & Go — 15.000 seconds added

Server replay time: 0h24m40s

Lap 11 – Main Straight – Geoff Heard and Graham Poole

Having just run into Michael, Geoff executed a similarly lamentable rejoin. He drove straight back onto the racing line just as Graham Poole was approaching on full chat. Thankfully Graham had just enough room to enable him to take avoiding action.

Geoff should have tried to join carefully on the right hand side of the track rather than driving straight onto the racing line.

Server replay time: 0h27m50s

Lap 13 – Sanson - Geoff Heard and Graham Poole

Geoff is quicker than Graham on the approach to Sanson but at the 100 metre board his is still about half a dozen car lengths behind. Geoff’s Lotus clips the kerb which unsettles the car somewhat, nevertheless he brakes much later than Graham and makes up the deficit in the braking zone. Graham makes it to the corner first and begins to turn in; he is almost at the apex when contact is made and he is catapulted over the hay bales.

Geoff was not going for a pass, he had not achieved any overlap at turn in anyway and consequently Graham was entitled to take the normal racing line. Geoff was simply trying to position himself as close as possible to Graham in order to mount an attack on the way up to Scierie. The rather dramatic crash was caused by GPL’s over zealous collision engine rather than any drastic difference in speed between Graham and Geoff. However there was definite contact on the server replay.

In the real world Geoff would probably have got away with nudging Graham’s Eagle but not in the virtual world of GPL. It is just not possible to drive that close in the braking zone. Consequently the responsibility for the incident must reside with Geoff. Graham is entitled to a no fault shift R.

Server replay time: 0h30m21s

Lap 14 – Paradis – Steve Bird and Bernie Darwin

Earlier in the lap Bernie had made a complete mess of Nouveau Monde and needed to take a shift R. Later in the lap on the approach to Paradis, Bernie is struggling with cold tyres and a full fuel load and is concentrating on heading for the pits to execute a Stop & Go. He is a good 10 to 15 mph slower through Paradis than normal. Steve fails to notice this and he rear ends Bernie.

Steve was catching Bernie hand over fist and he should have realized something was wrong. He should have anticipated that Bernie would be travelling slower than usual and he should have driven accordingly.

Advice: Take care when approaching driver you have been catching at a rapid rate of knots. If he normally drives at your pace then you must assume something is wrong he is likely to do something unexpected.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup - Rouen - May 3  (Read 4696 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:02:50 PM +0100 »

Sorry only just being posted.

The rules have not changed from last season however all drivers are asked to ensure they are familiar with the rules (both general and division specific) and the penalty guidelines.  Also the Recommended Driver Behaviour page has some great info on how to get the most out of racing on-line with GPL.

Please be in VROC UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m (UK London Time)

Race List = VROC
Server = 5.UKGPL
IP address = ping myjamesonline.net
Race date = 03-05-2009
Time 9:00 pm (UK London Time = GMT)
Track = Rouen
Variant = 67F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qualifying time = 35 minutes. Don't start until 30 mins left on clock to allow everyone to join.
Race length = Long (18 laps)
Password: see above

PLEASE NOTE: we are currently having issues with 1.UKGPL so the race will be held on 5.UKGPL (IP address: ping myjamesonline.net) - race will still be on VROC

CHASSIS RESTRICTIONS
These are based on the drivers position in the championship.  Any driver who chooses to take a chassis faster than their position in the championship dictates, must make a mandatory pit stop as defined below.

Group 1
Tim FMG
Sam Blood

Group 2
Jack O'Ferrall
Kevin Clark

Group 3
Bernie
Phil T

Group 4
Burtoner
Steve Bird

Pit Stop Times
Group 1
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A
Brabham

N/A

Group 2
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A

Group 3
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus
Stop and Go

N/A
Eagle
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 4
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus
Stop and Go

N/A

First Pit Window is: 14 (to go on your pit board) to 8 (to go on your pit board)
Second Pit Window : n/a
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 10:48:12 PM +0100 »

Well that was an eventful first race back after a month out.  Couldn't believe my qually lap 1:58:047 much faster than my previous Ferrari PB at 2:00:11 (I thought it might have been a server glitch when I first saw it).  Tried to make the best of my pole position but the Fez is hard to get off the line without snaking and Tim powered past me in the Honda to take the lead into turn 1.  I got caught out on cold tyres under braking into the hairpin on lap 1 and I hit the polos.  I made an absolute horlicks of the rejoin fumbling about with the gears and getting in peoples way (I think I'll be awarding my self a penalty for that mess).  Had some fun fighting my way through the field and spinning off several times in the process.  I got the fastest lap so maybe my pole wasn't a fluke after all.

Grats to Tim on a solid drive and Bernie, Jack Geoff and Mike for some good dicing.
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:50:04 PM +0100 »

Well, that didn't go well at all for me.  My driving was crap and the low point was taking my own team mate off with a stupid error by running into the back of him.  Sorry Bernie.  Very bad driving on my part.

Well done to Tim, and the podium finishers (TBC  Wink )

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:34:18 PM +0100 »

A complete balls up from me , started off on the wrong foot finding myself at the right track but the wrong car , so spent practise trying to sort a set up and came to the grid with a best lap about 5 secs slower than my Cooper PB ( the car I should have used ) for some reason I couldnt get the brabby to slow properly .

Got bogged down at the start behind a slow starting lotus , Mike? and was amazed at the way Tim dissapeared into the sunset , I was equally amazed to find myself in P2 after Phil,  Mike and others decided to take pity and moved over for me . Then about lap 6 or 7 I developed cramp in both hands , its happened before but usually just in me LH , sure its down to me gripping the wheel too hard , but anyway this time I could hardly drive the thing and was changing hands to give each a rest on the straighter  bits , but changing gear was the main problem , escp. the down shift and my lap times suffered as a result , in fact I got a PW (personal worst ) on around half distance . Phil and Dave caught back up and closed right up decending the hill , I overshot and did a donut dance at the hairpin for which I needed to do a s/r , then to make a bad day worse I got freekin lapped and then reversed into my Teamy Steve as I made my wobbly way to the pits on cold tyres .

The last lap and Geoff took advantage of the walking wounded and nicked another place from me .

Cant complain as I started 7th and finished 7th (I think) .

Please,  can we make the next race 10 laps of the M25 at rush hour and first dibs on the Eagle  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:37:43 PM +0100 by bernie » Logged
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:35:35 AM +0100 »

Congrats podium.
Enjoyed that for my first 67 race - quallied and finished last but I made it to the end. Internet died 3 mins before the start but just got back in.
Even had a bit of racing with Graham until I decided to take a spin. Took about half the race before I got into the flow and stopped making mistakes.
I'll definitely go for it again - will probably cry out of the next two (trying to master the 67's and new tracks is pushing it) but will be back from Mosport on.
Michael Turner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 11:25:45 AM +0100 »

I qualified well for a change (thank you, Lotus) and found myself in P2 at the end of L1 with Tim in the far distance and Bernie in hot pursuit. A miscalculation at the hairpin on L4 allowed Bernie through but I managed to close the gap until another unforced error on L7 put me further back with Phil close behind. I ran wide on L9 allowing Phil through but managed to stay in touch until Phil took the Fez for a spin and I couldn't avoid clipping him as I tried to squeeze past allowing Jack and Steve through. To my surprise I caught up with Bernie and Sam as they both took a SnG so Race On again. Another encounter with the tyres as I was lapped by Tim put me back some distance behind Geoff and Bernie but there were not enough laps left to close the gap again. So a frustrating race with some interesting moments and good practice for D1 next week.
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:13:20 PM +0100 »

Well, Qually for me was mostly un-eventful and devoid of everything even resembling a fast time.Sad
However, the car was nice to drive once I stopped sinking the slipper in too hard. Mod 65 socks don't work in 76's
So, after a change of footwear to the correct vintage, got a good start and then had back off to avoid Dave, who's BRM was a tad tardy off the line. From there got happily down the hairpin to find the first of my Thorneton encounters waiting to ensnare the unwary...With Phil  buried in the polos and Dave knocked off on the inside grass, then blowing up as he extricated himself. The rest of us following stopped and sat in the freeway carpark waiting for the jam to clear. Tim, skipped away up the hill, oblivious to us all parked....Smiley

In the next episode of, The Thornetons, you'll see me attempting to avoid a wildly spinning Phil Thorneton, in the process, sending myself off on an inspection tour of the bank before Six Freres. How bad is this? The thorneton had my car on a string. Every time I got past him...it dived off the road somewhere and gave him back the place.
Ultimately, it ended up a bicycle after jumping off the road to avoid passing Mike Turner on lap 10...and putting a place up on the Thorneton. It's un-natural.....the hold the Thorneton had over my Lotus. "The cars never behaved like this before" said one of the mechanics
Must apologise to Graham for the tap into the 2nd hairpin. I wasn't trying to get close to you....you just kept slowing.....and slowing......and slowing. I still should have given you the place back, sorry for that Graham. And also, for causing you that "Oh. shite ! !"  moment on the straight when I rejoined after the Turner rejoin mentioned below paragraph...obviously this line is an edit.   Roll Eyes

The car felt rubbish after the team re-assembled it.. and hitting Mike Turner in the straight when he rejoined did nought to help that along, and the Thorneton disappeared on ahead. Just circulated to the finish and axe-murdered an ailing Bernie on the last lap, to steal 4th from his grubby paws.

Enjoyable return to 67's.....must keep it up. grats to Tim, for a fine drive. and the other podium placings.
Sorry to anyone else i got a bit close to, it was fun nonetheless.    Grin
Geoff.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:18:07 PM +0100 by Geoff65 » Logged

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:00:29 PM +0100 »

I like Rouen and I think it showed  angel

Got a 1:59.something when practicing prior to the race, but just couldn't do it in practice so started second behind a flying Phil.
He Bogged down on the start handing me 1st so I took it and ran! Thought to myself that it looked set to be one hell of a battle as we were both presumably good for very similar lap times.
Phil then Locked up into the polos at the hairpin and allowed me a clean get away, when I realised I was clear I simply settled into a good strong rythem and stayed there.
Was a good race for me with no silly errors.
Totally amazed I lapped everyone all the way up to 4th  Shocked

Congrats to all finishers  thumbup1
Also well done to Phil for fighting back upto 2nd by the end of the race, even if you did make some naughties on the way  Smiley
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 02:49:45 AM +0100 »

Doubt he'll keep second after he spanks hisself a couple of times....... angel

www.clark-hillracing.com

Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 07:12:19 AM +0100 »

The last lap and Geoff took advantage of the walking wounded and nicked another place from me .

I prefer the term Liberated rather than nicked....

www.clark-hillracing.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com