Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 05:17:49 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Dc Silverstone: June 28, 2009
June 28, 2009, 09:44:13 PM +0100 - Silverstone (GP 1952-73) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Al Heller
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 2 +0.869
117.618mph
1 36:33.962
115.267mph
24 1:29.899
117.211mph
Firestone  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 5 +1.463
116.843mph
2 +47.857
112.807mph
24 1:30.692
116.186mph
Firestone  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 4 +1.347
116.994mph
3 +1:05.553
111.923mph
24 1:30.858
115.974mph
Firestone  
Jack O'Ferrall
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 7 +3.643
114.086mph
4 +1:05.702
111.916mph
24 1:31.365
115.331mph
Goodyear  
BookieW
 HikiWazaRacing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 8 +4.436
113.114mph
5 +1:32.227
110.617mph
24 1:32.766
113.589mph
Goodyear  
G Poole

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 6 +1.760
116.460mph
6 +1L
108.802mph
23 1:31.426
115.254mph
Goodyear  
James Andrew

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 9 +4.711
112.782mph
7 +0.184
108.793mph
23 1:31.010
115.780mph
Goodyear  
Billy Nobrakes

Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 10 +4.849
112.615mph
8 +2L
102.769mph
22 1:33.800
112.337mph
Firestone  
Andrew Hodgson

Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 1 1:28.719
118.770mph
9 +5L
115.417mph
19 1:29.163
118.179mph
Disco
Firestone  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 11 +8.542
108.339mph
10 +24L
---
0 ---
---
Disco
Firestone  
JamesRye
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 3 +1.286
117.073mph
11 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  
4 UKGPL

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 12 12 ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

SUMMARY

Congratulations to Al Heller on his first victory in UKGPL. Vlad Vosblod continued to impress with a superb second place, his highest finish in the Clubmans to date. Phil Thornton just pipped his championship rival, Jack O’Ferrall to third place with a do-or-die move round the outside on the last corner of the race. The fight for the runner up spot in the championship couldn’t be closer.

Andrew Hodgson must deserve a special mention on his return to UKGPL. Having grabbed pole, it looked like he had the win in the bag until PC problems put an end to his race. Better luck next time Andrew.

Server replay time: 0h14m29s

Lap 9 – Copse – Billy Nobrakes

Billy applies too much throttle on the exit of Copse and spins out into the concrete wall loosing a wheel in the process. He resets but doesn’t do a stop and go within 2 laps.

Server replay time: 0h33m56s

Lap 21 – Start and finish straight – Billy Nobrakes

Billy blows an engine. He resets but doesn’t do a stop and go within 2 laps.

Note: Having blown his engine Billy tried to get off the racing line but applied his brakes on the grass and promptly pirouetted back onto the racing line. Billy tried to do the right thing but the execution was less than ideal. Good effort but more care next time please.

Server replay time: 0h37m33s

Lap 23 – Abbey - Graham Poole

Graham crashes at Abbey and gets his front wheels stuck behind a wall. He resets and then pulls into the pits to do a Stops and Go.

Two things to note here:

1. There was no real need to do a shift R. Switching to the chase view (F10) would have enabled Graham to realise that he could probably have extricated himself from the wall by selecting reverse gear and applying some right hand lock.

2. When making a Stop and Go on the last lap, please do it BEFORE the finishing line.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup - Silverstone (GP 1952-73) - Jun 28  (Read 6591 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:51:07 PM +0100 »

Season 17  Clubman's Cup - Round 9 - Silverstone

The penultimate round sees the Clubmans drivers return to Silverstone, a fast flowing circuit where the quicker cars can really show their pace. 

The race for the championship is over.  Tim Muttram is a worthy champion but the runner-up spot is still up for grabs with seven drivers in with a mathematical chance of winning.

Remember if you want to take a chassis faster than the one your championship position dictates then you MUST make the appropriate pit stop.

The rules have not changed from last season however all drivers are asked to ensure they are familiar with the rules (both general and division specific) and the penalty guidelines.  Also the Recommended Driver Behaviour page has some great info on how to get the most out of racing on-line with GPL.

Please be in VROC UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m (UK London Time = BST = GMT + 1h).

Race List = VROC
Server = 4.UKGPL
IP address = 84.70.242.152
Race date = 28-06-2009
Time 9:00 pm (UK London Time = BST = GMT + 1h)
Track = Silverstone
Variant = 67F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qualifying time = 35 minutes. Don't start until 30 mins left on clock to allow everyone to join.
Race length = Long (24 laps)
Password: see above

CHASSIS RESTRICTIONS
These are based on the drivers position in the championship.  Any driver who chooses to take a chassis faster than their position in the championship dictates, must make a mandatory pit stop as defined below.

Group 1
Tim Muttram
Jack O'Ferrall

Group 2
Phil Thornton
Steve Bird

Group 3
Sam Blood
Kevin Clark

Group 4
Bernie Darwin
James Rye

Pit Stop Times
Group 1
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A
Brabham
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 2
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A

Group 3
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 4
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A

First Pit Window is: 19 (to go on your pit board) to 13 (to go on your pit board)
 Second Pit Window is: 17 (to go on your pit board) to 6 (to go on your pit board)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:25:26 PM +0100 »

Just got a new PC so I used the GPLPS Installer.  Using Vista so needed to use the installer to configure everything so that GPL will actually run.  Installed all the revised graphics which look great but I've no idea where to brake now because the scenary is totally different LOL. 

Anyway got 4th on the grid which was a few places ahead of Jack, my main opposition for the runner up spot in the championship.  Got a good start and managed to get into third spot but a mistake at Copse let Vos through.  After that I couldn't stay with him.  I took my pit stop which dropped me down a few places but still got back out ahead of Jack.  Then I made a really silly mistake and clipped the grass at Chapel.  I ended up standed on the banking and needed a shift R.  As I set off Jack came sailing by and I lost further ground when I took my stop and go.  I had to get the hammer down and eventually caught up with Jack but he was driving really well and I couldn't get near enough to attempt a pass.  We caught up to a back marker which allowed me to close and really put the pressure on Jack with 2 laps to go.  Then almost disaster for me, as we blasted down the hangar straight my screen went blank.  Playing GPL doesn't appear to register as activity with Vista so after a few panicy stabs on the keyboard which did nothing, I moved the mouse and Stowe appeared large in my screen!  I just managed to avoid going off but Jack had got a few precious yards on me.  As we started the last lap I was too far back for my liking but I pressed on in the hope that Jack would make a mistake, but he didn't.  I was still too far back through Abbey but Jack took a defensive inside line through Woodcote so I had to go for a do-or-die effort round the outside and I just nicked it on the line.

A very tidy drive from Jack, well done you were very hard to pass.  I'll have to look into the screen saver options though I don't want the screen going blank again!!
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:16:51 AM +0100 »

Second - whoopee  Grin Grin Grin
Quallied in the gaggle behind Al and Andrew H. Good race start and managed to get past Phil having a wobbly and put a small cushion in for third spot.
No spins (bar one 360 late on) and the idiosyncracies of pitstops buffered my space to a gaping chasm - to play my own trumpet I was in a reasonable spot without that comfort but it helped.
Anyway there was no chance of catching the fast AH's (I did get the odd glimpse on the horizon though) so I went into finish with a podium mode.
This led to my 'what if's' and I was then sure I could hear a 'pop' every time I shifted. I have more engine blow-outs then Jordan has boob jobs so I dropped the revs and time by 5 secs but that comfy cushion allowed me to do it.
Crossed the line in what I thought was third then saw Andrew had problems gifting me second - gutted for him to get so far and that happens.
Anyway great race, grats to Al on his win - why couldn't you have spun, my champagne will go out of date  Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:21:21 AM +0100 by vosblod » Logged
JamesRye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:18:20 PM +0100 »

Yay! Qualified P3 with a mighty PB.

Boo...went to fill up with petrol for the race, only to find it had started without me. Was not aware that you can start from the pitlane if you miss the start.

Shame as I was on for a strong result. Never mind....

Jim
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 06:13:49 PM +0100 »

Well that was a turn up for the books Smiley. Before the race Tim FMG gave up his season ticket for the podium in favour of some inter-league battles, so I hoped there might be a chance of a decent result. In quallie Andrew Hodgson announced his return from retirement with a fine pole position & though I managed to hold 2nd at the start, Andrew went off like a red rocket for the first few laps. Tried to keep the pressure up, but wasn't able to get close until I saw him recovering from a spin in the wall on Farm Straight. Thought (ok hoped - sorry angel) he might have damaged his Ferrari so pushed a bit harder to see if I might get a sniff - think something must've been up because he went off again at Club & I was able to sneak through into the lead. I was expecting an almighty battle to the flag but after a few laps I saw a red blob spearing off track in my mirrors & realised Andrew had gone off in a big way. After that it was just a matter of resisting the hexes & voodoo curses that were emanating from teammate Vos running behind to get my first win Grin Bit concerned that I might pick up a penalty for my over-indulgent victory lap though.

Anyway big commiserations to Andrew, congratulations to Tim & Phil for the podium - with apologies to Tim for depriving him of opening his champers - at least you can be sure it'll be cold after that long in the fridge Wink. I had to make do with a ruddy cup of tea if that's any consolation.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:47:04 AM +0100 by Al Heller » Logged
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:14:47 AM +0100 »

I started the 67's about 3 weeks ago & this is was my debut race. Avoided total embarrassment & picked up a few points by staying to the end - that & the fact there were only 10 cars on the grid. Hopefully there is scope for improvement.

Had a couple of muppet spins & [confession time] 2 x shift R's, one for a tangle with the armco in T1 & one for an engine blow out. Since I was trailing at the back, 1 lap down, I skipped the S&G. Took the view that pitting & rejoining was more likely to cause a hindrance to the real racers.

Congrats to Clark-Hill for an impressive 1 -2 finish. Lotus was quite awesome around Silverstone. Should also be great at Monza too - maybe you guys would consider a voluntary pit stop to give the rest of us a look in?

Phil - re. your screen blackout - had the same thing at my first '65 race at Spa. From memory you need to adjust the power saver settings.

One question for the Mods. I chose the Cooper as indications were it was the easiest chassis to learn on. For me it has a lot of power in the lower gears & I have to nurse it in and out of corners. Have tried the BRM & Honda but can't  get anywhere near my time in the Coop. Tried the Brabham tonight & that seems to give a good balance of speed & handling & my best lap time at Silverstone. Point is - can I switch chassis for Monza?
Billy.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:08:28 AM +0100 »

Phil - re. your screen blackout - had the same thing at my first '65 race at Spa. From memory you need to adjust the power saver settings.
That concurs with Vos, thanks I'll check it out.

One question for the Mods. I chose the Cooper as indications were it was the easiest chassis to learn on. For me it has a lot of power in the lower gears & I have to nurse it in and out of corners. Have tried the BRM & Honda but can't  get anywhere near my time in the Coop. Tried the Brabham tonight & that seems to give a good balance of speed & handling & my best lap time at Silverstone. Point is - can I switch chassis for Monza?
Totally free choice in Clubmans unless you are in one of the top 8 positions in the championship.  You're not so you can pick whatever you want.  The Lotus is worth a try, it's very quick and if you use a drivable setup it is quite nice to handle.  Diff setting is crucial, I find 85/30 easiest.  Alison's setups are less radical than some and great for newbies.  Giv'em a go.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:20:26 AM +0100 »

That concurs with Vos, thanks I'll check it out.

Totally free choice in Clubmans unless you are in one of the top 8 positions in the championship.  You're not so you can pick whatever you want.  The Lotus is worth a try, it's very quick and if you use a drivable setup it is quite nice to handle.  Diff setting is crucial, I find 85/30 easiest.  Alison's setups are less radical than some and great for newbies.  Giv'em a go.

If I may, try and get used to more lock on power, less lock on coast, if you can. You will be glad you did later. 85/30 might be easy, but you develop quite a different driving style and is more difficult to switch later. Besides, they used the likes of 45/60 and 45/85 and even 30/85 in reality as well.

Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 06:57:51 PM +0100 »

If I may, try and get used to more lock on power, less lock on coast, if you can. You will be glad you did later. 85/30 might be easy, but you develop quite a different driving style and is more difficult to switch later. Besides, they used the likes of 45/60 and 45/85 and even 30/85 in reality as well.
That might be why I'm not getting any quicker Grin LOL.  Hristo is the benchmark here at UKGPL, so you'd be well advised to take his advice Billy.  Whatever you do I hope you get a decent set up for Monza. 

I'd still recommend the Lotus though, at Monza it takes some special driving in a Coop to overcome the power disadvantage Wink.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 07:09:38 PM +0100 »

It'll be interesting to see what the WazaWagon manages if I'm not poached again  Grin
Success at Monza favours the Lotus, Fezza and Eagle really - Although the Brab makes a good underdog as usual  Wink
Jack O'Ferrall
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 07:51:57 PM +0100 »

REED RACING WIN CLUBMANS!

Despite their number one driver being tempted from the grid by a man with a faintly East European accent with a promise of ‘beeg raceeng’, and their distinctly second-string driver Jack O’Ferrall being cut up then rammed off the track at the first corner, and passed for third on the last, Reed Racing have triumphed in the Clubmans Cup. Lord Loot was on hand to celebrate the first Clubmans team victory by a single-chassis outfit since season 12.  These were the less exuberant of his tired and emotional remarks after the race:

“Oh I say- good show!  Well this is more like it, dear boys, my great investment of time and money in the future of British engineering has borne fruit and laurels for myself and Burley.  Thanks in no small part to my employment of that master of engine design Mr Gerald Bull, whose sterling efforts I present to you, also our talented and victorious drivers Sam, Jim and Ian- whose absence has been unfortunately enforced this season- who have all contributed their individual triumphs to my trophy cabinet.  We who continue to pay our taxes in the oft-derided belief that British is Best have sometimes been made sport of, but that’s what sport is about and in this our finest hour we bear them no grudges, except that it is bloody odd that our so-called dreadful car can win so many races har har!  Safety first may be for some, but we seek a greater ideal, the ideal of the celebration of society, of freedom from authority expressed at the outer limits of speed, rather than conformism to the new values- of Pinky and Perky's Pop Parade.  Here’s to oil, sweat and gears!  We may have retreated from Suez and Empire, but if it’s the light of the technological revolution that’s wanted in this new era then at Reed Racing at least, we’re all lit up!”

[At this point Loot’s sentences became too long to be properly lucid, and shortly afterwards he stumbled for the first time.]                
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:14 PM +0100 »

Well done Dave & Jim! Another prestigious trophy for the cabinet  Grin.
Andrew Hodgson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:54:00 PM +0100 »

Hrrrm, bit of a mixed bag on my return really.

I spent the prior week practising at Silverstone, failing utterly to break the 1:30 barrier reliably in the Fez. Finally, I remembered I was missing the GPL Racing Line program. Installing that to change the painted groove really helped me find my old lines, and I managed to post 1:28s reliably.

The day of the race Phil put the server up early for practice and I had a short race with Iestyn Davies. He was driving a BRM and blew me away with sustained 1:27s! I wasn't confident for the evening after such a beating! Coming into the actual practice session in the evening, I would have been happy just to make it anywhere but last on the grid, having no real idea of where performance levels were at. I was immensely surprised to find myself on pole at the end of the session!

For the race proper, I was expecting to do a lame start and end up at the back of the pack, but by some fluke I got away quite well, and was able to settle down into a reasonable rhythm for the first half of the race (minus a "small" glitch on Farm straight that I mostly got away with). Then things began to unravel at a quick pace!

At the end of lap 12, I lost all sound in my headphones. This proved to be a major distraction, as I now had to drive with one eye on the rev counter and back off to ensure control. As a result, I slid off again in Club and allowed Al into the lead. Oddly enough, this turned out to be a help as I could match my pace to his for a few laps to ensure some kind of reliable driving. At this point I was praying nothing else would go wrong and I could come in second.

However, fortune wasn't going to smile down on me. As we came up to lap a Cooper (who it was I cannot remember), I got into slipstream and was about to make a pass. Then, all of a sudden, my screen went blank! I knew the game was still running, as the force feedback was still going through the wheel. After about 10 seconds of wondering what was going on, I pressed a mouse button. All of a sudden I got the picture back and the sound. It then dawned on me what had gone wrong. Vista had kicked in the power saving, having assumed I hadn't touched the keyboard/mouse for a while. This had taken out my sound at first and then the picture.

What also dawned on me was that I must have punted the poor Cooper driver clean off the track during my spot of blind driving. I apologise if I spoiled his race!

All in all, I'm glad to be back and I learned some important lessons on system setup for future races. Well done to Al, who was consistently quick and deserved his win.

EDIT: Just realised Phil had the same problem as me with the Vista shenanigans! Stupid OS!  Angry
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:00:43 PM +0100 by Andrew Hodgson » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com