Quarterly cost: �0

March 28, 2024, 10:37:09 AM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S17Dc Monza: July 12, 2009
July 12, 2009, 09:43:35 PM +0100 - Monza (GP 1955-71) - UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Samb
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 6 +0.875
142.086mph
1 32:04.599
140.372mph
21 1:30.107
142.772mph
Goodyear  
Kevin_Clark

Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 12 +2.555
139.497mph
2 +1.330
140.275mph
21 1:28.615
145.175mph
Firestone  
JamesRye
 Reed Racing
BRM P115 F1 1967 5 +0.734
142.307mph
3 +4.039
140.078mph
21 1:30.821
141.649mph
Goodyear  
Geoff65
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 2 +0.247
143.078mph
4 +9.176
139.706mph
21 1:29.971
142.987mph
Firestone  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 7 +1.008
141.877mph
5 +30.539
138.179mph
21 1:30.802
141.679mph
Firestone  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 4 +0.689
142.378mph
6 +31.338
138.123mph
21 1:30.193
142.635mph
Firestone  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 3 +0.249
143.075mph
7 +1:04.065
135.850mph
21 1:30.110
142.767mph
Firestone  
BookieW
 HikiWazaRacing
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 9 +1.704
140.797mph
8 +1:04.230
135.838mph
21 1:31.497
140.603mph
Firestone  
G Poole

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 11 +2.376
139.769mph
9 +1:11.766
135.326mph
21 1:31.608
140.432mph
Goodyear  
Al Heller
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 49 (Cosworth) F1 1967 1 1:29.667
143.472mph
10 +1L
133.208mph
20 1:30.267
142.519mph
Firestone  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 10 +1.832
140.600mph
11 +11.848
132.396mph
20 1:31.384
140.777mph
Goodyear  
James Andrew

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 8 +1.087
141.754mph
12 +12L
130.431mph
9 1:31.190
141.076mph
Disco
Goodyear  
4 UKGPL

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 13 13 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

SUMMARY

Monza provided a fitting climax to an exciting season. Kevin Clark made his customary charge from the back of the field to secure a gallant second place behind the victorious Sam Blood. James Rye fought hard to hold Kevin back but in the end had to settle for third place.

This result confirms Tim Muttram as the Clubman’s Champion for Season 17. Phil Thornton secured the runner-up spot just ahead of Jack O’Ferrall.

Server replay time: 0h00m48s

Lap 1 - Start Line - Al Heller, Geoff Herd, James Andrew, Billy Nobrakes and Vlad Vosblod.

Al gives the Lotus slightly too much gas off the line and gets a bit sideways. His car slews across into the path of Geoff’s Lotus and carnage ensues.

Unfortunately the server was set with a tight grid and hence there was no room for error. Al got slightly out of shape but he had regained control and would have easily recovered the situation had he been fortunate enough to have the extra space afforded by a loose grid. It would be very harsh to penalize Al for this incident given the tight grid.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h17m44s

Lap 11 – Parabolica – Phil Thornton and Michael Turner

Phil sees yellow flags at Ascari, raised in response to James Andrew’s Eagle which has expired and is parked on the grass on the approach to the Parabolica. Expecting to encounter some carnage, Phil brakes early for the Parabolica but this catches Michael out and rear-end contact is made.

Phil was right to take heed of the yellow flags but the green flags were back out at the Parabolica so it wasn’t unreasonable for Michael to expect Phil to maintain his normal racing speed at this point.

• Racing incident

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 17 (2009) Clubmans Cup - Monza (GP 1955-71) - Jul 12  (Read 6447 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:09:20 AM +0100 »

Season 17  Clubman's Cup - Final Round - Monza

The final round is at Monza, the cathedral of motor sport and a fitting venue for the conclusion of a hard fought season. 

The race for the championship is over.  Tim Muttram is a worthy champion but the runner-up spot is still up for grabs with two drivers fighting for the honours.

Remember if you want to take a chassis faster than the one your championship position dictates then you MUST make the appropriate pit stop.

The rules have not changed from last season however all drivers are asked to ensure they are familiar with the rules (both general and division specific) and the penalty guidelines.  Also the Recommended Driver Behaviour page has some great info on how to get the most out of racing on-line with GPL.

Please be in VROC UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m (UK London Time = BST = GMT + 1h).

Race List = VROC
Server = 4.UKGPL
IP address = 84.70.242.152
Race date = 12-07-2009
Time 9:00 pm (UK London Time = BST = GMT + 1h)
Track = Monza
Variant = 67F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qualifying time = 35 minutes. Don't start until 30 mins left on clock to allow everyone to join.
Race length = Long (21 laps)
Password: see above

CHASSIS RESTRICTIONS
These are based on the drivers position in the championship.  Any driver who chooses to take a chassis faster than their position in the championship dictates, must make a mandatory pit stop as defined below.

Group 1
Tim Muttram
Phil Thornton

Group 2
Jack O'Ferrall
Steve Bird

Group 3
Sam Blood
Kevin Clark

Group 4
Bernie Darwin
James Rye

Pit Stop Times
Group 1
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A
Brabham
Stop and Go

N/A

Group 2
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A
Ferrari

N/A

Group 3
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus

N/A
Eagle

N/A

Group 4
Single Stop Time

Double Stop Time
Lotus
Stop and Go

N/A

First Pit Window is: 17 (to go on your pit board) to 11 (to go on your pit board)
 Second Pit Window is: 15 (to go on your pit board) to 6 (to go on your pit board)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:25:37 PM +0100 »

I've just rebuilt 4.UKGPL, it's running OK but I'd like a few people to check their connections before tomorrow's race just in case I've messed anything up.  Server is up on VROC and will be left on until tomorrows race.
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:49:20 AM +0100 »

Noticed Geoff Heard connected OK, thanks Geoff.  Could do with a few more people testing their connections if possible.  Post here if there are any problems.
JamesRye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 10:35:05 PM +0100 »

Qualified 5th, with a PB which was nice  Grin.

got an OK start, but a lot of people didn't seem to move so I was up to 2nd (may have had a slight brush against someone as I blasted through). My BRM was nice and steady and I had a very driveable setup, my biggest fright was running wide once in the last corner.

The leader Samb  I think was warping about a bit, but it didn't matter cos I didn't have the pace to pass him. The Ferrari of Kev (not warping) caught me and we had a nice duel, he was a lot faster than me, but I re-passed him cos he spun.

I was expecting the faster cars to take a SNG and in my head the race was won because I was keeping in touch with the big boys in the Fezza etc..., so I was surprised that no one stopped ahead of me  Grin. Then I realise that the stops are based on championship position so that explains that. Anyway Kev caught me up again and I was able to hold him up for a lap and a half before he re-passed me (his car looked a bit of a handful though (very oversteery on acceleration  Shocked)).

A pleasing result to finish in P3 and to be so close behind Samb and Kev in my BRM.  Smiley  Thanks to Kev for some nice clean racing fun, there were a couple of times where some mutual respect prevented disaster.
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:03:17 PM +0100 »

A rather fun race, despite my internet being a complete sod throughout. Apologies for my warping car everyone, I guess I could have quit but for the most part, I was driving my own race. After qualifying 6th, I made a great start and lead into the first corner. It remained that way for quite some time, with Jim and a persistant Kev nipping at my heels whenever I made an error. At one point me and Kev were battling for position into the Parabolica. Kev put the power down a bit too soon and swerved in front of me. I gave him a nudge into the wall and continued. Apologies for that.

Eventually I crossed the line in the lead with Kev again closing in on my exhaust, such was his pace but I was glad to have won again. Thanks to Phil for allowing me to take part after the misery of the Interleague event. I look forward to Season 18, though I feel that may have been my last Clubmans event but it was nice to go out on a high  Smiley.

Also, with Jim finishing 3rd, Reed have won the Clubmans in style. Shame Dave missed the end of season celebrations, but there's still the last race at Monza for D1. Lets go out with a bang!
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:20:30 PM +0100 »

Pleased to get 5th and no boo boo's in that one.
Made a very cautious start (spun in a practice recently so didn't want a repeat of that), up ahead looked like a bit of a disaster was going on. Tried to thread my way through, got a rear tap (no one's fault it was a mess), then made it through without having to Shift/R.
After that Prib looked decidedly odd (pole man Al Heller way down  blink ). I settled in behind Graham for about ten laps until I managed a pass. After that it was a lonely affair - Geoff appeared in front after a wobble but he was soon way up the road.
The real pressure came from Phil. I'd passed him on his SnG and for a while after that Prib was showing all sorts of changes behind. Eventually he appeared on the list and I knew he was quicker. The Jaws theme music would have been apt at this point  Grin
I'd sort of decided not to put up a fight but, as the end began to draw near, I smelt 5th and drove as hard as I dared. It was not enough to keep my diminishing cushion and, on the last lap, the red menace was there in my mirrors. Well, luckilly, it was the last lap and I just scraped through in 5th - a few more yards and Jaws would have chomped me up...

I've enjoyed Clubmans and it's really helped me improve in the 67's. My late registration gave me an advantage in not having pit stops but that served to fire my enthusiasm. As Arnie said 'I'll be back' in whatever format we run next season...
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 10:14:13 AM +0100 »

Showed my inexperience in this one. Lotus was very quick here so was pleased to grab pole making it a Lotus 1-2-3 on the grid. Things went downhill from there.. Managed to overcook the start as I changed up to 2nd & slewed across into teammate Geoff's path. The big book of excuses offered up "we were closer than expected as we started 3 abreast on the front row" but quite frankly even with the full width of the Monza straight I reckon I'd still have collected him. So unreserved apologies to Geoff  Embarrassed - luckily he lives on the other side of the world otherwise he might have sent the boys round. And massive apologies to everyone else affected - especially to James Andrew who was unfortunate enough to have my Lotus fall on him from a great height Sad.

Took a SnG next lap which put me last then set off after the pack. Made a bit of progress & by mid-race I'd got up to 7th but then the engine lost power & started belching black smoke. Thought I'd be 'clever' & decided to stop right outside the pits for a reset to be followed by an immediate SnG. Newbie error #2 - the reset switched me to the opposite side of the main straight so I had to do another lap in order to do my SnG. Then to make matters worse, as soon as I pressed the throttle the engine blew up again - not my night Tongue Took a SnG next lap - though wasn't quite sure whether 2 engine blowups on the same lap meant 2 SnG's? Took a third SnG late on after getting wedged in the hedge at Parabolica but I was so far behind by then that it didn't make much difference.

Anyway congratulations to Sam & the podium. Also to Geoff who fought back up to 4th & I think would have been a contender for the win if I hadn't screwed his race. Sorry Geoff - I guess I'll be sitting in the naughty corner of the Clark-Hill clubhouse for a few weeks :'(.
Kevin_Clark

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:21:50 AM +0100 »

I had a cracking race Smiley

As it was the last one of the season I thought I'd ditch the cooper in favour of my trusty Ferrari as speed was the key at Monza.

I did a couple of outlaps just to test the setup and it seemed a bit oversteery but it'll do Smiley I started last again as I've quite enjoyed the runs from the back.

As Monza is a notorious start line crashfest I waited a couple of seconds after the flag dropped before I set off to let everyone get going. Sure enough there was some carnage and I tippy toed through it to go from 12th to 6th by turn 1!

Then I set about hunting people down.
I had a good tussle with Graham for the first lap and managed to get past him somewhere around parabolica I think. His eagle power was tricky to overcome but I just about managed it with some slightly faster cornering.

Then I think I caught up a Lotus and Phil's Ferrari somewhere around lesmo 2. Coming out of ascari we were all pretty close and the lotus went a bit wide on to the grass and had to back off then Phil got a bit squirmy on the brakes into para and I nipped by. Up to 3rd or 4th by then i think with about 10-12 laps to go.

I started to bang in some 29s to catch up to the leaders and caught James's BRM. We had a good clean scrap for a couple of laps and I nipped through somewhere and then set about catching Sam's BRM. I got up to him at T1 and he went wide and did a tip toe round the outside avoiding the barrier but it was enough for me to get by on the inside. Unfortunately, coming out of les2 I got a bit too much power on and lost the back end and squirmed in to the fence on the right. As I got going again both the BRMs repassed me! Back in 3rd again then Smiley

Managed to get back to 2nd again and with about 5-6 laps to go I made a dive up the inside at para to pass Sam but mid corner I got a bit of a wiggle on and lost the back end AGAIN! Sam had nowhere to go and gave me a little love tap which span me round but no damage done and I rejoined in 3rd AGAIN!

So now the chase was really on. The two BRMs were pretty close together but only about 4-5s up the road so I tried to bang in some quick laps. With 1 to go I got past James AGAIN! and did a 1.28 something trying to catch Sam and was only about 3secs down but I thought we had one more lap to go. Sadly that wasn't the case and it was game over. One more lap and I think we'd have been nose to tail at parabolica.

Great clean racing fun though.

JamesRye

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:27 AM +0100 »

Just looked at the laptimes.

Big congrats to Samb for getting so much out of his BRM (7 tenths more than me  Shocked)  I actually thought he'd taken a Brabham for this one Grin

A 1:28 is pretty good in a Ferrari as well.

Jim
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 01:55:24 PM +0100 »

Traded up from the Cooper to the Brabham for Monza & it does suit me better. Reasonably happy with qualification, not last and within 2 seconds of the pole sitter.
I'm new to 67's and have not worked how to get off the grid with power in a straight line. Took it easy but got nudged against the armco in the starting incident. Mercifully less painful than Al Hellar who was bouncing on his head.

Only one major incident in the whole race, wheel on grass on the exit of Parabolica & ended up in the hedge. Extracting the car was a real challenge & in the interest of not ruining anyone else's race I took a Shift R & a prompt SnG. Finished last of the runners but with some fairly consistent lap times. Suspected Parabolica might claim a few victims & earn me a place or two but that was not to be.

Wait to see the format for Season 18 but hope to on the grid - a little quicker & rather more consistent.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
Geoff65
Former UKGPL Moderators

Aussie Paul Hawkins. Sitting in Porsche 910

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:12 PM +0100 »

Ah, no problems there Al....we've all done the rear-end rumba off the start in 67's before. I was quite happy with qualifying second on the grid....maybe could have pinched pole with a bit more effort, but was more concerned with re-familliarising myself with the 49 on race fuel. Was mildly surprised to see us line up in the 3-2-3 grid setup, but not too worried as the car gets off the line briskly and straight as a die. Even after Jimmy clipped my back wheel during his rocket start, and having to drop the throttle to avoid Al's spinning top cleverly disguised as a Lotus 49 in my path, the car behaved impeccably.
Got swamped then by the cars following, as I had to wait for the track to clear somewhat to get back on the loud pedal.
Settled into a nice rythm early on and set about chasing down first Kevs fezza, then Phil's after Kev snuck past. Started pulling them in at a few 10ths at a time until Phil stopped for his pitstop. Passed the odd car off the track here and there on my charge.......then stupidly in my haste outbraked myself into Lesmo 1 and had a gentle, if bloody annoying spin. Got going again and basicly just drove it as smooth as I could, and left it to the motorsport Gods to sort out the places....as the bloke with the pit board wasn't telling me much in the way of useful info. I had 2nd and 3rd in sight as we exited Parabolica for the last time, so I guess the scrap Jimmy and Kev were having must have allowed me to pick up some time on them in the last 8-10 laps. All in all, quite pleased with 4th considering the context of the race, and getting much more comfortable in the Lotus every time I drive it.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the UKGPL Admins and Mods for all the brilliant work they do through out the season, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself driving in this league. It's a treat also to have the opportunity to race alongside the great bunch of blokes we've had the good fortune to aquire at Clark-Hill Racing. I'm sure you'll all agree our debut season has been impressive to say the least.
This of course is due to the effort put in by our coach and Team Principal John Roberts, whose patience and tutoring has improved the driving of all team personnel across the board. Thanks John...Smiley
A wee reminder to all, that in the off season a little recruiting by all of us will only have positive results next season. Roll on S18.... Grin]

Then I think I caught up a Lotus and Phil's Ferrari somewhere around lesmo 2. Coming out of ascari we were all pretty close and the lotus went a bit wide on to the grass and had to back off then Phil got a bit squirmy on the brakes into para and I nipped by.

That Lotus was me Kevin, the bloody screen went haywire and contracted down to a narrow little hourglass shape.....I pulled over so as not to get in your way, as I knew you were close. Cleared it by thumping the side of the monitor with my hand!!
Geoff.

www.clark-hillracing.com

"Racing is life.....anything that happens before or after, is just waiting"
Steve McQueen from "Le Mans"

GPL Rank +15.145 29/3/2012
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:27 PM +0100 »

Sorry about the tight grid gents, my fault.  After the rebuild I set the loose grid on the wrong track oops.

Still ended up being a cracking race though, a fitting climax to a great season.
Michael Turner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 07:25:53 PM +0100 »

Qualified quite well and made it to the all Lotus front row. Got off to a slow start which was fortunate as I thereby avoided the initial mayhem but ran a bit wide at the Parabolica with cold tyres on L1 and then again under pressure from Kevin on L2 and so ended up way down the field. I had a lengthy duel with Phil which was marred by my running into him under braking  Embarrassedagain at the accursed Parabolica. Fortunately we both survived intact and subsequently swapped places a couple of times due to each other's mistakes. I was catching up with VB but another silly error put me back down again and so the season ended as ignominiously as it had begun.

Ah well - there's a;ways next season to look forward to Cheesy
Kevin_Clark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:44 AM +0100 »

Any sign of the modded result yet and final final tables? Smiley
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 09:11:16 PM +0100 »

Any sign of the modded result yet and final final tables? Smiley
I'm working on it Kev  Wink