The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

April 28, 2024, 01:41:28 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rfactorcentral/simraceway  (Read 1857 times)
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:54:06 AM +0100 »

So what's the deal here chaps? Seem VirtualR are against this as they claim they are trying to make money based on using content developed for the community for free. Is rfactorcentral closing entirely to become this new entity? What's the considered opinion?

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:01:55 AM +0100 »

The considered opinion is that it's all a storm in a teacup, the modders are upset for no good reason, and rFC/SR think they will make money but won't.

At least that's my opinion. Tongue

To finish first, first you must have fins.
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:34 PM +0100 »

I haven't really scratched the surface but for a smidgen over £3 per month - it appears you're paying for the ability to "one-click download" all of those mods that used to take a flippin age to source and download from rfactorcentral, and for well organised racing on their servers (which you'd assume will be busy given the brand and cash prizes), plus in-game moderators too apparently .

For that sort of money, to use rFactor to it's full potential I'd say it's an interesting proposition - I'll be watching with interest to see how it develops around rFactor 2 also, a good time to get something like SR up and running if they're planning on piggybacking on the publicity of the game.

Anyway, proof of the pudding 'n' all that - I'll be signing up so I'll let you know how I get on.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:41:00 PM +0100 »

If your just using it as a mod resource I dont see whats wrong with the rFactorCentral. Cant see the point of paying for it for that, i think its mainly if your going to participate in their organised championships as a server fee.

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 04:53:12 PM +0100 »

I think you're probably more patient than I am Mark - I find rFactorcentral really hit and miss.

I often find a mod that takes my fancy only to find out the download files are too fragmented, there are data transfer limits on the servers they've linked to or the files aren't there at all. Clearly you're paying to belong to an organised community though. Free copy of GTR2 look, flog that and you've got three months free!

spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 05:02:15 PM +0100 »

Its a site that deals in rFactor, how does giving out GTR2 help them? Shoot the man that thought that would entice people there!

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
goldtop
Director, RRE
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 06:26:44 PM +0100 »

I reckon that's rF testing the willingness of their existing customers to enter into subscription agreements ahead of the rF2 project. Lots of data can be gathered from this type of exercise without the risk of upsetting anyone. It is after all just an option.

TOP TIP: READ THE RACE ANNOUNCEMENT Smiley
mr_oily
Former Moderators

www.steelsnaps.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:53 AM +0100 »

Could well be, that makes a lot of sense GT - will have to watch with interest.

Not quite sure what to expect with rFactor 2 - I wonder if this is going to be the proper sim with Forza quality graphics...unlikely I know but we can dream!
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:55:37 PM +0100 »

I think you're probably more patient than I am Mark - I find rFactorcentral really hit and miss.

I often find a mod that takes my fancy only to find out the download files are too fragmented, there are data transfer limits on the servers they've linked to or the files aren't there at all. Clearly you're paying to belong to an organised community though. Free copy of GTR2 look, flog that and you've got three months free!

I do know what you mean oily, but it's never been that much hassle to get a mod sorted. I'm not entirely sure how the one click download thing works, but if it's download and install I'd definitely stay clear myself. I might be anal but I never trust installers tbh, I always install to dummy folders first just to see what I'm getting, even if I then let it run to my game location afterwards. Of course I could do the same for the one click I suppose.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com