Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 08:52:40 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S18A Watkins Glen: September 08, 2009
September 08, 2009, 09:42:51 PM +0100 - Watkins Glen (Classic) - UKGPL Season 18 (2009-2010) Amateurs Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Turkey Machine
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 6 +0.438
---
1 (+1) 1:04:56.761
---
55 1:09.916
---
Goodyear  
Podkrecony_Ziutek
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +0.332
---
2 +9.456
---
55 1:09.960
---
Dunlop  
fpolicardi
 Team7
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 9 +0.746
---
3 +9.914
---
55 1:09.600
---
Goodyear  
Ruud Savelkoul

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 5 +0.369
---
4 +32.105
---
55 1:10.510
---
Dunlop  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 13 +1.185
---
5 +1L
---
54 1:11.283
---
Dunlop  
Hristo Itchov
 HikiWazaRacing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 10 +0.822
---
6 +12L
---
43 1:10.160
---
Dunlop  
EvilClive
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 7 +0.474
---
7 +17L
---
38 1:09.987
---
Goodyear  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 16 +1.989
---
8 +41L
---
14 1:12.088
---
Dunlop  
MikeBeattie
 Drake Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 15 +1.394
---
9 +50L
---
5 1:11.245
---
Dunlop  
natan5

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 11 +1.000
---
10 +51L
---
4 1:12.000
---
Dunlop  
john roberts

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +0.479
---
11 +52L
---
3 1:10.993
---
Goodyear  
Asbjeurn Tverberg

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 14 +1.270
---
12 +10.641
---
3 1:11.808
---
Dunlop  
Samb
 Reed Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 1 1:09.294
---
13 +55L
---
0 ---
---
Dunlop  
Ken Murray
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.084
---
---
0 ---
---
Goodyear  
FullMetalGasket
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 3 +0.115
---
---
0 ---
---
Goodyear  
Clutch4
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 12 +1.105
---
---
0 ---
---
Goodyear  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 17 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

A high attrition rate did not detract from the excitement of the close battles for the lead which changed hands several times.

After a Lap one incident accounted for some unlucky drivers, the field was slowly whittled down until just 5 finishers crossed the line, 2 of whom were making their debut in Amateurs.

Server replay time: 0h05m20s

John Roberts and Jethro collide going into Big Bend as Jethro appears to attempt a pass.

Going into big bend on the racing line and braking at my normal point, there is no overlap at the turn in point and therefore I follow the racing line though the turn , JW would have gone off if he had not hit me.

I don't think this is as clear cut as it initially seems. Jethro appears to lift through the Speed Trap to follow John but does not fall in behind him. John takes his normal early turn in to Big Bend and is entitled to the racing line as Jethro only attains a little overlap under braking. Jethro should have decided whether to go for the pass or not earlier on and committed to it. As it is he seems to neither commit to nor give up the pass and ends up in no mans land.

I think he would have made the corner had he not hit John.

Simple Ambitious Overtake: 1 Place Penalty

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 18 (2009) Amateurs Trophy (65) - Watkins Glen (GP) - Sep 8  (Read 8742 times)
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:56:26 PM +0100 »

Honestly, what am I like! Grab Pole and spin off at the loop, which ruined Tim & Ken's race! Deeply sorry chaps, you'd think I'd learn after all these races  Roll Eyes.

No prob Sam, but just try to keep it steady on cold tyres.

I had that stupid steering wheel graphics glitch again tonight but found if I deleted gplc65.exe and let GEM make another it was OK for the first run but as soon as I left the track and then rejoined I had the stupid bonnet mip back. So after securing 2nd spot on the grid I timed my departure back off the server to rebuild my exe so that I'd be back just in time for the start. It was all a complete waste, not just because of Sam's spin but the trick didn't work anyway!!!

Off the start someone came by in a Honda but I popped in to his slipstream and headed down to the Loop. The Honda promptly went off and then I could see Sam spinning. I thought all my Christmases had come at once, but Sam's dodgy internet connection meant I could not predict where he was headed. I tried to just let it run wide but I couldn't avoid a collision and lost a wheel. Bugger. Mind I'm not sure how I would have handled 55 laps droning round there, maybe Sam actually saved me after all.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:58:02 PM +0100 by Ken Murray » Logged
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 10:57:56 PM +0100 »

Well this was rather silly. I did a pb by nearly half a second in Qualifying without any tow and it was still only good enough for 10th or so on the grid! Talk about handicapping...  Roll Eyes

Then at the start people were so hot headed it was unbelievable, I was up to 5th at the end of lap 1! Then up to 4th and then 3rd after more people threw themselves off.

Then we went into a battle with Jethro and two other guys (sorry, don't know your names yet). It was fun for a while, but then one of them dropped back and it was just 3 of us left.

After awhile the other guy had an off and dropped back too, so I was left battling with Jethro. I'm not sure why, but he was super defensive in his driving, taking inside lines and changing lines even when I was in no position to challenge him. All that slowed both of us down, which was really unnecessary IMO. There was obviously no way I would've pulled away if I made a pass, so instead of pulling each other forward, we were going slower...

With 19 or so to go Jethro had a slow last turn (everyone seems to be getting last turn wrong), so I had a run on him on the outside, but just behind him. Well, he changed line slightly and clipped my front right, spinning me around.

After that the other guy caught up and we began fighting, but he was making too many mistakes in the corners while pulling away on the straights, so it was impossible to make much impression on Jethro's 8 seconds lead.

Eventually I got attacked in the Loop with just over 10 laps to go and while trying to carry more speed on the outside, my front left touched the dirt very slightly, but it was enough to send me right into the haybale and I got stuck on top of it.

I had a look at the tracks list for this season and it looks quite grim with this kind of handicapping. Majority are tracks favoring a fast engine where cornering skill matters little in the 65s. Solitude, Kyalami, Silverstone, Monza and Spa - no chance whatsoever. Unless I rely on people continuing to retire in mass numbers early on like today, lol...

Cheers,

-=Hristo=-

cure
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 11:34:19 PM +0100 »

i had a blast, third evening ever driving 65's and i managed to finish the race, going only off once \o/.

qualified 5th with a 1:09.6, then wasted it all trying to get away from the starting line Cheesy.

didn't know how to properly get off the line in 65's, that was pretty funny. if it would be possible to stall the car, i would have! managed to get around the mess at the loop, then i had a great view of the top three battling it out for the first 10 laps. think it was was Bartosz who went off at the 20th lap or so, came back slowly to overtake me, i went off on lap 30 or so trying to follow him. it cost me more than 10 seconds. that's when Fulvio overtook me, from that point on i cruised to the finish 30s behind the leader.

oh, fuel load in the setup menu, is that calculated according to 67's still? think i had about 15 or 20 liters left or so at the finish. i started with 79 liters (good for 59 laps according to gpl).

was alot of fun, looking forward to the next race!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:45:11 PM +0100 by Ruud Savelkoul » Logged
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:10:27 AM +0100 »

Well that was a turn up for the books! I really enjoyed the battle with Hristo and Bartosz, a shame that ended through no(t much) fault of their own after about 20 or 30 laps.

I had half a problem with cooking the front tyres due to sliding in the corners and braking for Big Bend and The 90, and at times I had to really ease off so as not to run myself off the road. It wasn't totally defensive driving between me and Hristo, but it was fair. He was very good on the brakes for the last 2 corners and tried his best to keep up on the 2 long straights. I think I forced him onto the grass when the wheel twitched left, I'd managed to correct it but the damage was done to H, and he fell back. Hasn't happened in a while, and I'd assumed the pots in the wheel had sorted themselves out, but evidently not. Apologies to you sir, it was a very fair battle we had, even if I was rather defensive at times.

I was much more relaxed than I was in previous races, and thanks to the front 3 taking themselves out at the Loop after Sam spun it, I'd inherited a lead I was determined to keep. I was helped enormously by aceing the start and going from 6th to 4th in 2 corners, but I wasn't going to attempt anything risky under braking and managed to escape the carnage ahead of me. I was happy with Bartosz behind me and Hristo behind him, and happy for him to take the lead whilst I kept Hristo at bay so he could attempt to extend the lead, but in the end all 3 of us got embroiled in a great fight for the lead. Apologies to Bartosz, I had to stand on the brakes at The 90 to stop the car going around, and it put you in a 50-50 move. Props for not creaming into the back of me though. Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
MikeBeattie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:47 AM +0100 »

Well that went pretty much as expected, as my record at The Glen is reasonably shabby.

Got a bit of a tow from John at one point during Qually, which earned me a place in the penultimate row. I just about saw the Green pixel move in the distance, but waited until I saw some cars move before dropping the clutch. I got two cars ahed of me in the run to the first corner, but as we know that was to no avail by the time we got to The Loop, where there was pandamonium. Brabhams to the left, Hondas to the right so there was nowhere to go to miss the Brabham pointing the wrong way in the middle of the track.

I got it pointing the right way again, but there then appeared to be a secondary incident on the exit of the corner, which I just about missed. So by this stage I was back to being about fourth from last, then Evil cruised past ( like every other car does) and I tagged in behind him for the rest of my short race. I could stay about 1 -2 secs behind him, but was slowly losing ground. Eventually I spun into the Right at the end of the back straight, clobbered the back left wheel against the fence and deranged the suspension. I drove another lap or so thinking about struggling on for the next 40 or so laps, but it just kept spinning at each righthander, no matter how slow I was going.

I'll wait for Solitude, it's a track I go well at, to see where I am in relation to the rest of the field.

Cheers Mike
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:15 PM +0100 »

Well, my first Ams race and I picked up far more points than I expected.

The plan was to finish my first ever Pro race and anything else was a bonus, I just didn't want to destroy the car or engine.

Qually was nowt special and even a PB would have only got me a couple of places and I'm not that quick here in 65s anyway so I put on race fuel and got a feeling for the car.

When the flag dropped the car in front of me didnt get away so I got held up and lost a couple of places but the plan was just to get through lap 1 and settle down into a nice pace.

The field began to self destruct at the Loop and I did touch a car in the middle of the track when I had nowhere to go but eventually I got going again and in about 11th place with Phil right behind me for company.

I soon skillfully passed the only car I overtook in the race which was made easier by the fact that it was just about facing the right way after some grass cutting and it turned out to be MikeBeattie.

Looking ahead of me on Prib I saw a few target cars that I thought I could catch and Phil's Ferrari was buzzing away behind me so I tried to settle down a bit but I had a few messy laps due to the pressure from Phil but eventually I started to drop him and even more so when he spun off.

Pretty soon there were only 8 of us left and of the 6 in front of me I didn't think I could catch any of them so I started to settle for 7th and peg the gap to Phil who eventually retired, so with about 40 laps to go I started nursing the car home by short shifting and braking nice and early which meant my lap times were mainly in the 12s.

I imagined a couple of times that I saw a puff of black smoke when I was changing down at the 90, but whether it was actually there or imagined I don't know so I started to take extra care there as well.

Being the shortest track of the season and my first Ams race I expected to be lapped and I was by the top 3 but the objectives were to finish without any spins and I did exactly that. I just did it very slowly.

I'm not used to letting back markers through but I thought I did it quite well. Don't want to make a habit of it though.

EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 01:36:49 PM +0100 »

That was one loooong race, or so it seemed and I did not even finish!!!!

Like a few others I was very careful at the start, and watched a few cars zip past up through the Esses ( a trifle gung-ho I thought given the number of cars and distance still to go Roll Eyes)
I was proved correct when I arrived at The Loop in the middle of an acrobat's convention  Grin and despite my best efforts at avoiding the carnage still got biffed off the road. Fortunately there was no apparent damage and I was able to crawl away and slip past a recovering Mike Beattie.

It took a lap or so for Prib to catch up it seemed and I could work out where I was, which was about 6 secs behind Fulvio and about 8th place.
I was slowly dropping Mike until his "off" and slowly reeling Fulvio in, deliberately taking care not to stress the engine.
After some 10 laps or so, I was getting the tow from Fulvio and pulled up behind him. I think he felt under pressure as he appeared to run wide on a few corners. I followed closely for a lap or so and was thinking about making a move, but realised that our battle was pulling us up to the top 4 cars so I was contemplating just sitting behind Fulvio and getting a free ride.
It was then that Fulvio got a bit sideways exiting the last corner and despite pulling a tighter line there was contact and I was spun onto the infield whilst Fulvio completed a 360 on the grass and continued.
By the time I had extracated myself from the armco Fulvio was some 7 secs down the road, so I thought " here we go again!" another 10 laps to reel him in.
But the impact must have damaged something, because whereas before I was comfortably in the low 1:10's now I was 2 secs a lap slower even when using more revs and Fulvio eased the gap out.
Ok,I thought 20 secs back to the next car,so I'll settle for 6th and hope for some late retirements.

Good plan..except the car had other ideas and despite being gentle( or so I thought!1) with the engine it decided to throw half the pistons away and I was down to kerb crawling speed( not that I have experience of that velocity you understand! Roll Eyes)  With only a single car left running behind me, who was certain to catch and pass me, the best I could have hoped for would be a mass disco of the front runners so I coasted into the pits and had an early bath.

Grats to those who made the full distance and maybe a little more caution on the first few laps would have seen some more runners after half distance? it did get a bit lonely out there guys!!

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 08:43:39 PM +0100 »

Hmm, now then. Were there any incidents to speak of or was it the Red Arrows paying us a visit??

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:54 PM +0100 »

Sam fell off of his own accord, as did I  ninja
Can't speak for the display team behind us though  Grin
Asbjeurn Tverberg

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 12:27:12 PM +0100 »

Had a fairly good qually, close to my PB. Start wasn't my best, but I'd decided to be careful. Didn't want to ruin the start for anybody. Sneaked through the mayhem in The Loop on L1, and came out on nineth, I believe. I think I was slowly closing in on the car in front, when Evil in his Honda appeared in my mirrors. He was reeling me in, and I did the stupid thing of braking a bit later than I usually do in the Loop, just to avoid him getting into my slipstream on the back straight. It went how it always does, I ended up in the hay bales with a lost front wheel and my race was over.

It was really silly of me, since I was closing in on the car in front, and together we could close the gap even faster by slipstreaming each other.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:22:06 PM +0100 by Asbjeurn Tverberg » Logged

"Gentlemen, start your computers!"
Podkrecony_Ziutek

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:11 PM +0100 »

Qually went well for me P4.

I've started race quite steady. Going into The Loop for the firs time I was 2w with John when I saw carnage at the front. Luckily John and I managed to pass that safety. I was 3 now, with John 2 and Jethro 1.
I knew that passing John is practically impossible, so I decided to stay close to the leaders and wait for their misteke.
On lap 4 when John was leading, Jethro decided to attack him in Big Bend. Unfortunately they touched and John was off the race.

Than Hristo caught us and from now, we were changing position until lap 19. Jethro made mistake on last corner and slow down. To avoid contact I had to spun.
When I rejoined I was on 4 position behind Ruud. It took me about 10 laps to catch and pass him. Three or four laps later I saw Hristo recowering from spin.
We were swapping position until lap 44 when Hristo made mistake and park his BT7 on haybale.
I was quite tired at that moment and I was hoping for some relaxing laps, but Fulvio had differed plan.His 3 place wasn't enough for him, so he was pushing very hard to catch me. My tires were in bad condition, and car become understeer. Luckily I managed to hold him behind and finish in P2 clap

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 09:43:55 PM +0100 »

I will be doing the moderation tomorrow if anybody wants to submit any more reports before then.

Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 12:27:10 PM +0100 »

Polite nudge if moderation's been forgotten. Either that, or like Albi last year it's just taking a while. Smiley

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2009, 01:02:56 AM +0100 »

Not quite Albi proportions, more the fact that I have been busy but the debate was how ambitious the overtake was.

Turkey Machine

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 03:03:27 PM +0100 »

That's a bugger. Still 1-2 for Clark-Hill though. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com