Quarterly cost: �0

March 29, 2024, 03:33:12 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S18N Watkins Glen: September 08, 2009
September 08, 2009, 09:37:43 PM +0100 - Watkins Glen (Classic) - UKGPL Season 18 (2009-2010) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Al Heller
 Clark-Hill Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 1 1:10.281
117.803mph
1 39:31.676
115.200mph
33 1:10.615
117.246mph
Dunlop  
NickyIckx
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.126
117.592mph
2 +7.329
114.845mph
33 1:10.777
116.978mph
Dunlop  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Honda RA272 F1 1965 3 +0.226
117.425mph
3 +9.658
114.733mph
33 1:10.461
117.502mph
Goodyear  
il_lupo_mannaro

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 4 +0.245
117.394mph
4 +17.886
114.338mph
33 1:10.384
117.631mph
Dunlop  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 5 +0.269
117.354mph
5 +1:09.555
111.918mph
33 1:11.019
116.579mph
Dunlop  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 6 +0.370
117.186mph
6 +41.199
113.233mph
33 1:10.759
117.007mph
Dunlop  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +0.750
116.559mph
7 +1:00.753
112.323mph
33 1:11.287
116.141mph
Goodyear  
happyal
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 10 +1.051
116.067mph
8 +1L
109.019mph
32 1:11.624
115.594mph
Dunlop  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 11 +1.321
115.630mph
9 +2L
106.981mph
31 1:11.519
115.764mph
Dunlop  
Barry De La Rosa

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 12 +13.125
99.265mph
10 +6L
91.447mph
27 1:19.372
104.310mph
Disco
Dunlop  
Mark65
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +0.778
116.513mph
11 +21L
113.336mph
12 1:11.334
116.064mph
Disco
Goodyear  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 9 +0.874
116.356mph
12 +29L
93.107mph
4 1:13.558
112.555mph
accident
Dunlop  
6 UKGPL

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 13 14 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Summary

Congratulations to Al Heller on a hard fought win. He was pushed very hard by the runner-up, Nicky Ickx. The race would probably have gone to the wire if it hadn’t been for an unfortunate warp contact at about three-quarter distance. Bernie drove a steady race, apart from a couple of excursions on the grass at the Loop, to claim the final podium place and pick up some valuable points.

There were a couple of warp incidents involving back markers. When being lapped it is generally better for the lapped driver to maintain their normal racing line, that way the overtaking car will be able to anticipate where the back marker is going. See the rules on Racing Etiquette for advice on how to allow a lapping car to pass cleanly. When lapping a car that is warping badly, it is much safer to take an inside line. The lapped driver should yield and the overtaking car will not be susceptible to warp (see the guidelines on warp incidents for an explanation).

Server replay time: 0h01m52s

Lap 1 – Big Bend - Alastair Baldwin and Norbert Stemmler

Norbert is on Bernie’s tail as they barrel round The Speed Trap and is on the right hand side of the track as they approach Big Bend. Norbert is not close enough to attack and slots in behind Bernie who follows the racing line to the apex of the corner. Alastair brakes in plenty of time but he closes rapidly on Norbert who has slowed appreciably in order to avoid any risk of contact with Bernie. Unfortunately minor rear end contact is made but it is sufficient to send both Alastair and Norbert spinning off the track.

Alastair must shoulder most of the responsibility for this incident since he was the following car. However he would not have made contact if Norbert had not slowed unexpectedly. Norbert is entitled to a free shift R but Alastair does not and he correctly does a S&G at the end of lap two.

Server replay time: 0h02m50s

Lap 2 – The Loop – Alastair Baldwin and Barry de la Rosa.

Alastair is much faster into the loop and rear–ends Barry.

Server replay time: 0h03m42s

Lap 2 – Finish Straight – Barry de la Rosa and Norbert Stemmler

Barry runs wide at the 90 degree and applies slightly too much throttle whilst partially on the grass. This sends him into a nasty slide which he corrects but not before he has collected Norbert. Both cars can continue apparently undamaged.

Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h13m23s

Lap 11 - Front Straight - RogUK

RogUK blows engine and makes a shift-R but fails to make S&G within two laps – penalty 30 seconds.

Server replay time: 0h16m59s

Lap 13 – Finish Line – N Hance65, Barry de la Rosa and Billy Nobrakes.

Billy is leading N Hance by a dozen car lengths when they catch up to Barry near the 90. Barry is a couple of laps down and tries to get out of the way but nevertheless slows Billy considerably. This gives N Hance the opportunity to catch up and he tries to pounce on the run down to the finish line by driving between Billy and Barry. As the cars funnel down to turn 1 the gap narrows and contact is made, all three cars spin out.

N Hance makes a shift-R but correctly does a S&G at the end of lap fourteen.

Server replay time: 0h28m38s

Lap 23 – Back Straight – Billy Nobrakes and Barry de la Rosa

Billy is trying to lap Barry but gets a little too close and warp contact is made.

Warp incident

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h29m34s

Lap 25 – Turn 1 - Nicky Ickx and Barry de la Rosa

Al Heller has a 3 or 4 car length lead over Nicky as they round the 90. They catch up to Barry but can’t lap him before the finish line. Al decides to tuck in behind Barry as he turns in to turn 1 but Nicky sees an opportunity to pass both of them around the outside. Nicky makes it past but he is foiled by warp contact that catapults him into the Armco. Al avoids Nicky’s spinning Cooper and tries to overtake Barry on the inside of the first part of the Esses but warp intervenes again and this time Barry is sent spinning out.

Warp incident.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h38m20s

Lap 30 - The Loop - N Hance

N Hance65 runs wide at loop and is beached on the straw bales. He makes a shift-R but fails to do a S&G within 2 laps.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 18 (2009) Novices Trophy (65) - Watkins Glen (GP) - Sep 8  (Read 13209 times)
NHance

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 02:18:00 PM +0100 »

I practised a heck of a lot in the off season on 9 of last season's tracks in a Honda & after many hours improved my BT11 PB's by hundredths at Mosport & Silverstone only. Fed up I copied the Honda set ups into a BRM (6 gears 12000 rpm) & within 1 hour had new PB's at Mosport & Kyalami so I asked for a BRM & when I found I had one practised until I got within 3 hundredths of BT11 PB at the Glen & left it till race day.

Qually slower than my BT11 time I was glad we had a newcomer or I was last. Did actally chase down the Bernie/Billy duel but Bernie got past & cleared off. Billy got baulked  & I made an attempt at a pass which failed with a shift r & S&G result. A few "offs" of my own. What is it with me & Happy Al. Everytime we are running in adjacent places something happens to one of us. With 6 laps to go I was 5 secs up on Al when I crashed for no reason. Surely it's got to get better.

I'll close by starting my season long campaign for Mosport to be included in season 19 schedule

Norm H
Barry De La Rosa

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 05:43:11 PM +0100 »

Finally a word of welcome to our latest Newbie, Barry. GPL is difficult to learn & near impossible to master. Stick with it Barry & you will improve. I think your Ferrari got switched for the SS Enterprise –  with warp factor 9 – maybe an issue with the connection caused your car to jump across the race track & made passing you a bit of a lottery. Running with default setups will handicap you – the brake balance at 59% or so kills the tyres. I’ve got good setup guide which explains how the different variables work. If you want a copy send me a Personal Message with your e-mail address.

Thanks Billy. I was knackered after that race. I thought I did ok, what with finishing and all. I wasn't aware of me warping all over the track of course - that must explain why I was rammed at speed at one point!

I'll take you up on that guide - I barely got into 4th in the default setup.

When are the results published?
Barry De La Rosa

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 05:45:43 PM +0100 »

I passed Barry De La Rosa quite a few times, some of them where a bit hairy, but I believe that some others had it worst than me. I would say that everyone has to start somewhere, and I could see that he was really trying to get out of the way, but just lost control of his car. Mods, please don’t penalise him too much and put him off, as it wasn’t that long ago that I was in his position and it’s off putting enough racing against a quick and competitive field.

Thanks for the support. I did have two Shift-Rs, but both were the result of being hit by other cars. I believe there is somewhere to state this after a race, but I couldn't see where.

BdlR
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 06:31:52 PM +0100 »

Barry, race results and replay will be here when Tim has uploaded them

http://www.jamesonline.net/UKGPL

If you want some Lotus setups then I have some here that I used last season.

http://www.jamesonline.net/gpl/downloads.htm

You will only be able to submit incident reports when the results have been posted at the top of this thread which usually happens the day after the race but it is when the moderator has time to do it.

If you do submit an incident report make sure you include the timestamp.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:34:36 PM +0100 by miner2049er » Logged

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 07:57:41 PM +0100 »

I was quite surprised to find I had qualified P3 not having run the Honda much previously I wasn't expecting much and having spent the last 10 mins of practise nurturing a decent race set up I fully expected to see myself relegated to a more usual grid position.

Made a great start but arriving in the braking zone for the big bend i was suprised by Al's early braking which kind of knocked me off balance and half expecting a clout from the rear so I got back on the gas but slid a tad wide onto the turf and was lucky not to break it ,re joining in about 8th place . top marks for nippon engineering .

Then lap 7 and I get gifted  3 places  due to others misfortunes but a lap later I again make a mess of the same corner and lose 2 of the places just gained , but lady luck stays with me and im able to re join unhindered, further down the road Im studying the form book and waying up the situation when I suddenly come across a recovering Vos and almost rear end him , he latches onto my tow and now I become  mechanicaly harrassed by the Vos ! who pressed me hard for quite a while before I saw him spinning away his chances in my mirrors .
(really sad to see you dissapear there Vos)   Cheesy

After that little episode it became a long and lonely drive in what now had become 4th place ,thanks to those who chose to take a break ( or brake ) and except for lapping pedro de la rossa what seemed about 17 times ( by now you will have realised just how useless the default set up is escpecially the de fault gear set )

Then with 3 laps to go I came across the battle for 3rd btw the ferrari of  Il Lupo  and Nicky's very well driven Coop .

Il lupo's  fezz went wide into the barriers at BB and I was able to take advantage but couldnt get on terms with Niks coop in spite of setting PB's on the last two laps . So rolled over the line in P3 , what a great result

All in all quite a satisfying start to the season ,though I have a feeling the next round Sollytude (best jappy speak ) and not my favourite , will be a bit more of a challenge .

Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:11:33 PM +0100 by bernie » Logged
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 12:33:43 AM +0100 »

That must be the hardest fought yet also one of the most enjoyable races I've had in GPL. Nicky drove an excellent race & we were wheel-to-wheel racing for 25 laps. Shame that it didn't continue until the flag as it was a great scrap & was shaping up for a real grandstand finish.

Nicky sped into the lead at the start but by the time we reached the Loop I was able to draw alongside - my problem was with Nicky in my blind spot somewhere on the inside I didn't want to risk turning in for the normal line, so elected to go around the outside to leave him room. That might explain why I braked early Bernie (though I am reliably informed that I brake early all the time!) Came perilously close to spinning off but somehow emerged from my trip around the Loop's perimeter in first place. After that it was just constant pressure from Nicky for lap after lap - I had the advantage down the straights but Nicky was much quicker through the twisty bits. By lap 5 we had caught Barry who seemed so busy fighting his default setup that he probably didn't realise we were there - that led to some errrm interesting moments but also bought me a little breathing space as Nicky came off worse (cheque's in the post Barry Wink). Didn't last long & Nicky was soon large in my mirrors once again & with Fabio right behind him we now had a 3-way battle for the lead. Apart from me almost losing it at the final corner & snagging Nicky in the process (sorry about that) it was a really clean battle that only finally got settled on lap 25 when we encountered Barry's "warp factor 9" Ferrari. I saw it hopping all over the track & wasn't really sure where I could pass so I slowed down.. as I hesitated Nicky went through but he was promptly splattered by Barry's car as it bounced like Zebedee all over the track. I had to take to the grass along the main straight to avoid it but somehow got through in one piece & then had a relatively clear run to the finish line. Anyway congratulations to Nicky & Bernie for the podium & looking forward to another exciting race at Solitude.
Barry De La Rosa

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:21 AM +0100 »

By lap 5 we had caught Barry who seemed so busy fighting his default setup that he probably didn't realise we were there - that led to some errrm interesting moments but also bought me a little breathing space as Nicky came off worse (cheque's in the post Barry Wink).

I was using the chase view so had to rely on hearing cars coming and didn't see what was behind me until the very last second or so.

BdlR
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 12:16:34 PM +0100 »

thats not good  Shocked

You really want to use the in car view for GPL

the only view IMO  Roll Eyes

john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 12:42:26 PM +0100 »

I was using the chase view so had to rely on hearing cars coming and didn't see what was behind me until the very last second or so.

Hi Barry ,

like most people here i would recommend that you drive from the cockpit view , having said that is there any reason why you are using chase view like poor hardware/framerate , if so we might be able to help resolve some of these problems .

as a matter of interest do you have a steering wheel or other controller (this is not to say you must have a wheel as there are plenty of fast drivers that use a joystick)

also have you played many racing games/sims before ? because gpl can be very tricky for somebody not used to this type of racing .

don't get down hearted with your poor showing in your first race , because if you stick with it and ask for advice you will soon be going much faster .

john   
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 01:01:07 PM +0100 »

He has a wheel John, the one Vos sent to Billy, Billy sent to me and I sent to Barry.

I would also recomend the cockpit view at all times other than when rejoining the track if you have a restricted view of what may be coming.

I would also recomend not using the Force Feedback in that wheel straight away, but I don't like it anyway while others do.

Oh, and practise, practise and err, practise LOL.

vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 01:01:34 PM +0100 »

Yep wean yourself off the chase view - you need those mirrors.

As John says stick with it and you will get faster. I started about a year ago and struggled to begin with but practice makes perfect - or far from it in my case.
Look out for our practice servers in IGOR and hop on - you'll find the motley crew are very helpful if you need advice.
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 05:00:07 PM +0100 »

Come on guys, there's no reason to stick to cockpit view. There were aliens who never even used it. Barty Mee and Dug Thomson come to mind. We didn't even know they were not using cockpit view until they said so some years later... Use whatever you feel comfortable with as long as you don't endanger others.  Wink

Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 05:05:20 PM +0100 »

One must, IMO with chase view, is Pribluda. It gives far more information, especially in the absense of mirrors. Wink

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 05:56:16 PM +0100 »

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes
What an fantastic thrilling race !!!!!!!!!!! 25 laps of amazing wheel to wheel action , together with Al  and Fabio .
That was absolutely brilliant fun ,  bit less Barry's "warp factor 9" Ferrari. lol. .

Got an super start , served me the lead. But I did know I would be catch up at the straight to the Loop. That’s why I stood on right side  of the track. Well once again behind Al , I really benefit by  slipstream.  could  even  push at `the loop `, `big bend `and mostly  at `the 90 `.
But Al did such an fantastic job all over , I couldn’t passed him. And then there was Fabio with his Ferrari in my gearbox nearly for numbers of laps. He passed me after my Cooper got slightly contact with Al`s car at the 90. But luckily somehow I could made my way back into his slipstream and passed by at the Loop.
Well at Lap 25 Barry mixed up and instead of the lead I earned a trip through the clouds.
Luckily found myself back on track with my Cooper in one piece and none damage to engine or anything. Coming out 2nd  was only due to the fact that Fabio got bad luck at Lap 28 hitting into Barry , who came back to track. Guess Fabio`s Fezza was partly broken then , that’s why I could pass by easily at lap29.
P2 again  , but an speeding Bernie in my mirrors, burning one fastest race lap after the other into the asphalt. Thx god there where only 3 laps left…………..

Congratulation to Al on a very  well deserved win , to Fabio and Bernie and to all taken part .

See ya all at Solitude.
NickyIckx

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 06:20:11 PM +0100 »

Smiley
Hi Barry ,
 below some links to some useful GPL stuff. ( helps me a lot )
 F10 view or cockpit view for sure depends on personal preference.
Myself I started with F10 view back the days at WinVroc trying to keep the 67 beasts on the track. But that time I didn’t get seriously into GPL. Started my GP3 offline league time instead.
But when I came back to GPL 3years ago I decided to use cockpit view. At least watching the front springs and tyres working , is such so nice to look at.
However…

Another thing I noticed watching the replay  : if you got to be lapped try to leave the ideal line `and reduce speed a little bit then  till lapping is clearly done.

The program  called pribluda for sure is a big help. Its displayed the time distance  to drivers behind and in front , as well shows you if the driver behind is one who gonna lap you or one you could fight with ..

Hope to see you soon on practise server at Igor and plz feel free to ask if y alike too.

To me very helpfull stuff :

Floating mirrors for 65cars  at post 22 :
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=176551

For BT11 at post 114 http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3978891#post3978891

Gplshift (e.c. supported up/down/back/forw positional change )
http://www.gplshift.dk/GPLshift/index.htm

Pribluda : (e.c. shows time distances to other drivers  )
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=310673

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com