The Spirit of British SimRacing   

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
May 01, 2024, 04:30:07 PM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • Intel Core i5 UK launch: September 08, 2009
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel Core i5 UK launch - 8th September 2009  (Read 1958 times)
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:03 AM +0100 »

Apparently.

Waiting to see what the prices are like before deciding whether to upgrade my games box and roll the current E8400 machine up into my study to replacement my old Athlon 64 workstation, or keep the E8400 and build a new Core2Quad machine to replace the workstation.

To finish first, first you must have fins.
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:14:17 PM +0100 »

About time, cant believe how long i7 has been around and every 'newsletter' from a few retailers I get seems to be trying to flog it every month. Shame most bundles i've seen have been 500 quid plus.

Though isnt it a completely different platform? Based on the i7 though isnt it?

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:10:28 PM +0100 »

Though isnt it a completely different platform? Based on the i7 though isnt it?

Yeah, the first ones will be Nehalem without hyperthreading.

Just to confuse matters even more, from next year Intel will be marketing some Core 2 as i3... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:28:38 AM +0100 by Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer » Logged

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:29:23 AM +0100 »

Hmm, i5 750 is £150, cheapest mobo about £80, DDR3 is now about the same price as DDR2.

Tempted...

Jimmie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:45:23 PM +0100 »

Go for it, think I'll go for the i7 860 to save a lot of time on rendering scenes for study work Smiley
Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:43:32 AM +0100 »

If you haven't got a high end E8xxx chip or Q6xxx chip then the i5 750 looks like a good buy indeed. Gaming wise, especially single threaded gaming, they're still not raising the bar very much compared to the Core 2 Duo though. I have the E8600, so it doesn't look like much point in upgrading till they release something a bit faster still. Maybe when there is a 3.33 or higher version of the i5 it will be worth it...
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=16

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
spanner
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Team Prodigy - UKGTR/UKAC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:25:46 PM +0100 »

I dont think the i5 give you that much more at the mo. For a bit more you can get the old i7 ones. But give it a 6months or so and i'll see what is like out there. An i7 would be nice though!

Learn to love the Pork Smiley

Team Prodigy - Just like Team Oldie only younger, faster, less grey hair and kinder to the environment!
Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:14:40 PM +0100 »

Hopefully my new Core i5 system will arrive today, paired with a 1GB 4870 card. It's a big upgrade from my current Athlon X2/X1900 box. Merits a bounce I think. 

I'll report back when I've had a play.

Team Shark

GT Rank Name: Michael Bennett

The correct procedure is brake-swear, not swear-brake.
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 04:45:41 PM +0100 »

Good grief, it's that Agranamamanaman chap again! laugh

Should be a huuuuge leap forward over your Athlon.

I've decided to wait until the 32nm ones come out next year so I can actually make a step forward instead of sideways.

Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:08:12 PM +0100 »

A broken CPU cooler mounting bracket has delayed my build.  Sad

Agree that there isn't a strong case for upgrading from a fast Core 2 Duo to Core i5 or i7. There are a few games around that fully utilise a quad-core CPU, but not many. However, we can expect to see more in the future, so a quad-core or tri-core is a decent investment for anyone looking to buy a new system now. I hope to get a lot of life out of this system by upgrading the graphics card in 2 or 3 years.

I see my system is already obsolete with the introduction of the ATI 58XX series, and I haven't even built it yet. I wasn't expecting them to be released for another couple months.  laugh

I'll definitely pick up GTR again some time in the future, hopefully the new PC will give me an incentive. I'll probably only race on a casual basis though. Lack of talent and setup skills makes learning a new track a very slow and painful process for me.

Team Shark

Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 02:51:44 PM +0100 »

I've had a bit of play with the new system now. Think the core-i5 was a good investment, cost me about £90 (CPU, RAM and motherboard) over a mid-range CPU. Getting smooth frame rates in Left 4 Dead at 1920x1080 with all the details maxed, and that was with AVG doing a full system scan in the background (quad-core is a bit of a luxury, but it does have some benefits). I'm not going to bother to overclock it for now.

Haven't tried GTR2 on it yet, but rain and lighting shouldn't be a problem anymore. Hope to see you on track sometime.

Next year, I think there is a dual-core i5 coming out, running at over 3Ghz and with hyper-threading enabled for a bit less money. That would probably be an even better buy, the higher clock speed should make most apps run faster than on the i5-750, while hyperthreading will give a decent boost to anything that utilises more than 2 cores.

Team Shark

Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 04:43:22 PM +0100 »

Next year, I think there is a dual-core i5 coming out, running at over 3Ghz and with hyper-threading enabled for a bit less money. That would probably be an even better buy, the higher clock speed should make most apps run faster than on the i5-750, while hyperthreading will give a decent boost to anything that utilises more than 2 cores.

I think the dual core will be badged as an i3, but it's the same architecture. I'm waiting for the Core i5-670 which will be 3.467GHz; that should get me a real-world increase of around 30% in ISI-based sims.

I'm still far from convinced by hyperthreading. My Atom based netbook has it and it's still noticeably less snappy than my other VIA Nano based one, which is all clock speed and good architecture.

Aagramn
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 10:28:40 AM +0000 »

Had a very quick go at overclocking it. Turned off the turbo-boost, and had it running at 3.6Ghz without any voltage increases. Seemed to be stable, although I only left Prime95 running for 15 minutes or so. 4Ghz should be fairly easy to achieve.

I've set the clocks back to stock again for now, as I don't need the extra horsepower at the moment. Good to know I have plenty of headroom for future upgrades though.

Team Shark

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com