Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 04:05:19 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S18A Solitude: September 22, 2009
September 22, 2009, 09:43:16 PM +0100 - Solitude - UKGPL Season 18 (2009-2010) Amateurs Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Hristo Itchov
 HikiWazaRacing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 1 3:39.501
---
1 1:06:33.484
---
18 3:38.359
---
Dunlop  
FullMetalGasket
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 2 +0.331
---
2 +23.126
---
18 3:40.929
---
Goodyear  
EvilClive
 HikiWazaRacing
Honda RA272 F1 1965 5 +2.932
---
3 +48.502
---
18 3:41.935
---
Goodyear  
Clutch4
 Mountside Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 8 +4.073
---
4 +2:12.935
---
18 3:45.765
---
Goodyear  
Phil Thornton
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 10 +8.028
---
5 +1L
---
17 3:50.024
---
Dunlop  
Samb
 Reed Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 9 +4.477
---
6 +5L
---
13 3:44.418
---
Dunlop  
MikeBeattie
 Drake Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +0.729
---
7 +9L
---
9 3:42.102
---
Dunlop  
Asbjeurn Tverberg

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 11 +10.581
---
8 +12L
---
6 3:51.131
---
Dunlop  
john roberts

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 7 +3.464
---
9 +15L
---
3 3:45.847
---
Goodyear  
Turkey Machine
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 4 +2.295
---
10 (+2) +1.350
---
3 3:44.869
---
Goodyear  
Podkrecony_Ziutek
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 12 +10.599
---
11 +32.412
---
3 3:50.491
---
Dunlop  
b_1_rd
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 14 +37.694
---
12 +16L
---
2 4:01.201
---
Dunlop  
natan5

BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 6 +3.161
---
13 +17L
---
1 4:25.182
---
Dunlop  
miner2049er
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 13 +23.716
---
14 +18L
---
0 ---
---
Dunlop  
Ruud Savelkoul

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 15 +1:07.629
---
---
0 ---
---
Dunlop  
5 UKGPL

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 16 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

Server replay time: 0

A Lap 1 Turn 1 incident accounted for some cars in a race again finished by only 5 drivers.

At the front there was some great competition and some great driving, evident in the number of retirees that stayed on the server to watch the action.

Sadly further down the order there were some less than exemplary incidents that accounted for other retirements.

The next round is on more familiar ground and should hopefully see some more finishers.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h00m50s

Lap1 T1 Pile Up.

I think 2 separate incidents lead to the pile up. The first is Mike Beattie catching the rear of Hristo. Both slow as a result of the incident but continue having forced those behind to reduce speed and bunch up.

Mike could have easily expected Hristo to have been faster through the corner but it is the responsibility of the following driver to avoid a collision.

Server replay time: 0h00m50s

Lap1 T1 Pile Up.

I think 2 separate incidents lead to the pile up. The second is Jethro braking too late and going too fast into the corner, had he made it without hitting the bales there would have been 3 cars abreast through T1.

Once he hits the bales he ends up across the track, halving the available tarmac for those behind.

Bartosz hit the stricken Jethro but he had slowed and could not avoid him as he had nowhere to go because Asbejurn was on his inside.

It isn't clear that this is a genuine overtake attempt and had the bales not been there it is probable that Jethro would have run out of road and had his own accident.

What is striking about this incident is that Jethro is faster and brakes later for this corner on lap 1 than any of his other laps.
Lap 1 incidents, especially T1 incidents usually have big consequences and this was no exception.

Drivers racing online need to remember that the race cannot be won on Lap 1 but can certainly be lost on Lap 1. Drivers should try to stick to their own side of the track and if no clear opportunity to overtake presents itself, should wait until one does.

Server replay time: 0h10m55s

Clutch and Jethro collide near Schatten.

Clutch makes a mistake on entry to Schatten but recovers and continues on to the left hander. John Roberts makes a clean pass and Jethro attempts to follow him through but Clutch recovers and he and Jethro enter the left hander side by side. While the server shows Clutch undertseer a little he is still clearly on the inside line.

Jethro appears to turn in a little bit too much and squeezes Clutch a little. However, the server shows a clear and large gap between the cars when Jethro suffers a clear warp contact and is spun off the circuit. Clutch continues unaffected.

Care should be taken when following another car through a gap, either past a back marker or for position as it does not always mean that both cars will get past. This is particulary important with GPL online when not all cars behind may be evident.

That wasn't a factor here so much as warp was but it is worth bearng in mind.

Genuine Warp contact - Racing Incident

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h14m35s

Jethro and John Roberts collide at Schatten ending both their races.

Jethro had chased and caught John then shaped up to pass him but John was later on the brakes and had the inside line. John lost control and went into a slide but held the inside line and was continuing on when Jethro went for a gap that wasn't there.

I think Jethro expected John to continue his loss of control and slide to the outside of the track and create a gap, but even though Jethro took to the inside grass at the apex there was no overtaking opportunity and he was always going to hit John.

I think without John there, Jethro would have made the corner making this a Very Ambitious Overtake.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 18 (2009) Amateurs Trophy (65) - Solitude - Sep 22  (Read 6862 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:45:43 PM +0100 »

UKGPL Season 18 (2009) Amateurs Trophy (65) - Solitude (GP) - Sep 22/b]

Race 2 of the season sees a 65 mod debut for Solitude, a race track built on public roads to the west of Stuttgart. Used mainly as a motorcycle and non championship F1 circuit, it is yet another German track named after a nearby castle, and would attract crowds of up to half a million people, with an average of 288,000.

Let's hope that all those paying spectators have more than 5 cars to watch to the finish this time out as race 1 had a very high rate of attrition.

Please be careful on Lap 1 as the first right hander can be tricky on cold tyres and don't forget that lap 1 incidents attract an extra place penalty and can usually be avoided.

Reserve drivers should not join the race server until there are only 30 mins of qualifying left.
No drivers should go out on track until there is 30 minutes of qualifying left as this helps all drivers join the server successfully.

Restrict chat to pit messages, and at the end of the race avoid chat until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Please be in the IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server = 5UKGPL
IP Address = TBC (ping myjamesonline.net)
Race Date = 22-09-2009
Time = 21:00
Track = Solitude
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = PRO
Qually Time = 30 minutes.
Race Length = 50% Grand Prix (18 laps)

Password: see above

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

Chassis allocations are below, and the same chassis will be used for all races this season unless there is an adjustment agreed by the moderator.  Good luck!

FULL TIME DRIVERS
Hristo Itchov - BT7
Evil Clive - Honda
Ken Murray - BT11
John Roberts - BT11
Samb - BRM
FullMetalGasket - Honda
MikeBeattie - Cooper
FPolicardi - BT11
TurkeyMachine - BT11
JamesRye - BRM
Natan - BRM
Miner2049er - Lotus
Clutch - BT11
Podkreceny - Lotus
Ruud Savelkoul - Lotus

RESERVE DRIVERS
Phil Thornton - Ferrari
Steve B_1_rd - Ferrari
Asbejurn - Ferrari

Please use the updated 65 mod for this race.
If you have re-installed UKGPL over the summer break or are joining us for the first time, please don't forget to use the updated 65 mod which is available here: Jamesonline.net/UKGPL

Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:31 PM +0100 »

Honestly... who thinks up the passwords for these races?! Wink

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Hristo Itchov

There is no limit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:35:22 PM +0100 »

Apparently someone who went off in the fast trees sided area.  Grin

FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:23 AM +0100 »

Which one?  Grin

Looking forward to this - hoping I can convert my Watkins setup for the 272 to work here.
That'll be pure bliss if it does  angel
Asbjeurn Tverberg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:13:52 PM +0100 »

I'm using my Zandy setup. Works OK, just made 3rd, 4th and 5th gear one or two notches longer for slipstreaming on that looong straight. (Not that I believe I'll get to use it. I'll probably crash before I get that far around the first lap)

"Gentlemen, start your computers!"
cure
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:44:42 PM +0100 »

tire pressure up the roof, zero toeeeeee front and rear.

don't pay attention to this, i haven't even done a single lap on solitude yet, not sure i'll make it tonight :(.
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:18:25 PM +0100 »

I'm not sure if I can make it in time, I have another committment this evening.
Ciao

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 08:06:54 PM +0100 »

Well there is usually a theme, e.g. wines, beers, corners, roman place names, drivers, engine bits etc but before I carry on ad infinitum Wink has anyone worked out what the theme is for the graduates?
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 08:32:45 PM +0100 »

Would it be............ no...or maybe?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, perhaps not, but it could be ....................

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
Turkey Machine
UKGPL Assistant Divisional Moderator

Elitist psychopath with AS.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:02:41 PM +0100 »

That was shockingly bad driving from me on lap 1, sorry to all who got caught up in the chaos I caused at T1. Slightly braked too late for the corner which was enough to not only spin me and possibly the car I nudged around but also cause all manner of problems for every other poor bugger behind in avoiding me. Somebody did a magnificent job of hitting my car and allowing me to continue. I'd lost 25 seconds in that melée, which wouldn't be recovered. There was also a good collision job going at the bridge corner on lap 1, so kudos on that as it gained me a couple places. Smiley

I was having a rather good battle with John, and when Clutch joined in things got a little heated. He'd made a mistake under braking after the long straight and run wide. John nipped through and I tried to follow. I gave Clutch enough room on the inside to make the next corner but he still pushed me out either through warp or through running wide to shove me into the crowd. I'd gained the time lost on the twisty run down to the finish line. I then dispatched with Clutch into the uphill right-hander having narrowly avoided rear-ending him in T1 and T2. Ran very close with John on the long run down to the braking zone and forced him into a mistake. When he ran up the inside bank, it chucked him back into the middle of the circuit. By then I'd aimed my car for the inside of the corner and our cars met. It turned me over, game over. Was enjoying it up until then.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10. Why the hell do I keep crashing then?!
Samb
UKGPL Divisional Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:35:26 PM +0100 »

Yes, another disconnection  :'(. I really am getting fed up with my internet connection now; I can only take so much! The race itself was rather lonely, but I enjoying myself in 4th place about 20 seconds behind Evil. Next race, I will be using a new internet provider so I'll see if that cures my internet woes. If it doesn't, well, I'm not sure it's worth carrying on....
fpolicardi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 10:50:05 PM +0100 »

I'm not sure if I can make it in time, I have another committment this evening.
Ciao

Oh, I missed the race for a couple of seconds, when I tried to join the server was mutating Sad

Fulvio Policardi
Team7 Driver
Clutch4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:23:09 PM +0100 »

Tip toed round the usual Corner one carry on's. It took an age so i realised any chance of anything interesting happening had disappeared in the first 10 seconds.

Had a slight battle with John and Turkey Machine who points out that i pushed him into the crowd after the hair pin. Unintentional my friend. I knew you were somewhere there but thought i was pretty tight against the grass. Apologies.  Wink
Made sure i gave you plenty of room when you attempted your next succesful overtake. We'll leave that one to the moderators.

The next 14 laps or so were simply driving round with no hope of catching anyone in front and no hope of being caught. I was missing gears and running wide due to sheer lack of concentration. People were dropping out in front, but i felt jealous more than happy that they could go and stick the kettle on.  Wink

Thats probably the most boring race i have ever had, but i can't complain at a provisional 4th place.

As for Solitude - absolutely love the place. One of the Top 5 GPL Tracks in my opinion.

Well done to the Top 3.. and wow.. what a Pole lap too!!
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:40:16 PM +0100 »

I was quite pleased with my qually time but compared with Hristo, Tim and Mike I was a slug.  Amazing pole time and 2 of the top 3 cars were 8 valve jobs.

Managed to pick my way through the Lap 1 T1 carnage and I had Mike on my tail.  I was looking forward to a decent battle with someone of similar pace (well slightly quicker on the Round 1 showing) but we tangled at Schattengrund on lap 1 and Mike was out (I'm very slow there I just can't get it right Sad).  We'd had a bit of a shunt at Schatten too after Mike had got all squirrelly after putting a wheel on the grass.  Never mind hopefully we'll have a better dice in round 3.

After that there was no way I'd catch the guys in front so I set about defending my position.  First to try and get past was Natan (I think).  He got past somewhere near Cafe Glemstal but he had to compromise his line to pass me which meant he ran out of road 2 corners later.  That's what happens on bits of track like that,  it's not the corner you get wrong that you crash on, it's the one 2 corners later.  Asbjeurn was the next along and I could see in my mirrors he was pushing hard.  For once I'm driving conservatively in the races, with PRO rules I've tried to back off a bit and drive within my abilities so I'm not crashing so much (trouble is I'm too bl**dy slow!).  I had to pick up the pace a bit to keep Asbjeurn behind so he pushed a bit harder too and crashed out somewhere near Splitzklinge.

From then on I tried to avoid getting lapped but a stupid spin at Schattengrund lost me a lot of time and I was destined to be overhauled by Hristo and his flying BT7.  Tim lapped me too.  Sorry about getting in your way near Wildparkeck, I was sure I'd got enough time to move over and let you through but you were much quicker than I expected.
FullMetalGasket
Director, AC
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:22:26 AM +0100 »

Well there is usually a theme, e.g. wines, beers, corners, roman place names, drivers, engine bits etc but before I carry on ad infinitum Wink has anyone worked out what the theme is for the graduates?
I think the answer lies (knowingly or otherwise) in Clutch's post in the first line Wink

Don't worry about the near miss - scary as it was for me! - just remember what you mods keep telling us, it's for the faster cars to lap the backmarkers  Smiley
You don't have to pull over, just don't fight back!  Tongue  Grin

Anyway. Corker of a race for me.
Qualified 2nd in the end, was actually half a second faster in my final flying lap (nearly .25 quicker than Hristo's pole time) and then made a really silly school boy error somewhere in the 3rd sector which destroyed my gains in an impressive 4 wheel drift as I caught my car  Roll Eyes
May even be able to do 38's if I could catch a tow....

Anyway, avoided the T1 shinanigans by putting my secret hyper jets to use when the flag dropped   ninja
While checking the mirror just before turning in I see carnage behind and Hristo being spun - my face looked like =  Grin as I thought this was now in the bag for me   laugh
Made a slight error due to cold tyres/full tanks before reaching the main straight which allowed H to somehow regain my slipstream  Shocked
He passed me into Schatten hthe following lap, and despite me making a couple of half hearted attempts I couldn't get back round. This allowed Mike to catch me and he drafted past at the same place and out braked me into Schatten also (damn those 16v go-karts, so much more nimble!) We exchanged places a few more times over the following 6 or 7 laps but it was nearly all a case of me chasing the far more agile T77.
Eventually Mike span at the highest point of the track, I *just* squezed past him to continue on my way - some 12 seconds behind H I think it was.
Aside from my hairraising encounter with Phil I had a very quiet, but massively enjoyable race to flag with H slowly pulling ahead and Mike (then Evil) slowly falling behind..

Brilliant race guys, well Done Hristo - SHE is pleased!  angel

And remember: All your race belong to HER!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com