Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 06:26:32 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S18Gr Oulton Park: October 18, 2009
October 18, 2009, 09:46:30 PM +0100 - Oulton Park (GP 1954-72) - UKGPL Season 18 (2009-2010) Graduates Cup (67)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Rick Nauman

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 1 1:33.730
105.997mph
1 55:08.461
102.100mph
34 1:35.080
104.492mph
Goodyear  
Al Heller
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 3 +0.463
105.476mph
2 +7.725
101.862mph
34 1:35.276
104.277mph
Firestone  
b_1_rd
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 13 3 +2L
94.532mph
32 1:36.483
102.973mph
Goodyear  
Michael Turner
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 6 +4.034
101.623mph
4 +24L
96.308mph
10 1:39.036
100.318mph
Disco
Goodyear  
bernie
 Soggy Bottom Racers Club
Ferrari 312 (1967) F1 1967 4 +1.387
104.451mph
5 +25L
100.048mph
9 1:36.984
102.441mph
Disco
Firestone  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 10 +7.071
98.562mph
6 +1:14.941
92.308mph
9 1:41.219
98.155mph
Disco
Goodyear  
Podkrecony_Ziutek
 Clark-Hill Racing
Cooper T81b (Maserati) F1 1967 5 +2.458
103.288mph
7 +26L
97.611mph
8 1:37.493
101.906mph
Disco
Firestone  
maestro57
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 9 +6.683
98.942mph
8 +27L
92.428mph
7 1:42.104
97.304mph
Disco
Goodyear  
James Andrew

Eagle T1G (Weslake 1967) F1 1967 7 +4.935
100.695mph
9 +30L
94.405mph
4 1:40.501
98.856mph
Disco
Goodyear  
G Poole
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 11 +11.475
94.436mph
10 +32L
86.262mph
2 1:40.343
99.011mph
accident
Goodyear  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 8 +6.282
99.339mph
12 DNS ---
---
Goodyear  
6 UKGPL

Brabham BT24 (Repco) F1 1967 12 14 ---
---
Goodyear  

Moderator's Report

A second win for Rick puts him clear at the top with Al H and Bartosz second and third respectively.
There were some server issues in qualification but the race ran ok. Hopefully there won't be a re-occurrence.

Server replay time: 0h00m01s

Vosblod rear-ended Billy at the start of the race. Billy had a slow start and Vosblod mistakenly hit the clutch instead of the brake to avoid hitting him.
Racing incident.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 18 Graduates - Privateers - Oulton Park - Oct 18  (Read 3583 times)
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2009, 09:55:05 AM +0100 »

This is the post for the results of the Privateers race.
Could you submit any incident reports by close of play Friday 23 October.
To see your current tokens hover your mouse over your total points on the championship standings page.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:42 AM +0100 »

Did qually on a full tank, by the time I realised it was too late to do anything about it. Not that it would have made that much difference.

Anyway the flag drops and off I go. Now for my big apology. Took me a split second to realise Billy in front was not moving, didn't want to risk going round as I knew Steve had started behind me re connection problems. So I hit the brakes to avoid rear-ending him, unfortunately what I actually hit was the clutch pedal as I hadn't moved my foot across. Hence wham bam he's flying through the air and I carry on unscathed. Not an excuse but, in mitigation, I only started using the clutch pedal a few weeks ago (button before) so still getting used to moving over to the brake.

Either way no excuse, hands up and very sorry - will report it and take my medicine. I did see a light blue car behind me further on and let it through thinking he'd recovered but it was someone else.

Rest of the race seemed to be mayhem, this track takes no prisoners. Saw Pete go out and thought lucky that's not me, then my usual happened - mind off the job in hand so I join him. If I'd managed one more lap I would have been gifted 4th. Well done to the three finishers, extra well done to Steve considering he started at the back.

I know a few of you had connection problems - can't see there was any problem with the server. Seems a couple of the Works drivers also had issues on ukgpl4.
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:17:15 AM +0100 »

LOL I did the same thing with the clutch and brake a while back in a monaco league race and wondered why the car didnt want to slow down  Cheesy

As far as the connection was concerned my ferrari (wich was honed to perfection ) felt like it was driving on ice , not sure how the server could affect the handling , so maybe it was just me being feeling race nervs .

My race was a disaster,  after inheriting the lead early on I got all nervous and threw it away by trying to break the lap record to establish some soert of breathing space to the rapidly recovering Al and hard charging Ricky  but with full tanks the car was the boss and it got away from me at lodge corner when they both passed my stationary car , I set off to in persuite but made a pigs ear of the entrance to cascades and made the ferrari a lot lighter but quite undrivable , pity because i was very happy with the performance of the ferrari in testing and should have done well on one of my favourite tracks .

I do think most suffered from a lack of practise laps at this track , which I think is actually very good to race on with some good overtaking spots , perhaps a s/r or two being allowed would have helped the situation , or perhaps a rule where if you can limp back to the pits after an off then being allowed a s/r from the pit stall .

Congrats to Al and ricky and Steve for finishing in one peice with the Brabby .

Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:04 PM +0100 »

I rather like the challenge of Oulton. Tricky circuit layout made even trickier by having no groove & a tendency to eat engines.. I didn't think we'd get too many finishers here so I was going to run the BRM but had major difficulty keeping that on track in training so plumped for the Cooper instead.

The weird server/track issues made qually very very difficult - felt like I kept being hit by lightning as my screen would suddenly flash & a jolt would shake the wheel Shocked. The server replay shows the server time keeps resetting itself during practice & that's when the glitches occur - in fact I'm pretty certain that my qually time for 2nd place was the warp-like effect of one of those glitches. Anyway, still got relegated to 3rd as Rick somehow managed to claim 1st & 2nd places on the grid!

Starting behind instead of alongside Rick removed the temptation to try anything daring into T1 so I followed him round for the first few laps with Bernie hard on my tail. Because I was in a bright red Cooper my tiny brain somehow figured that Bernie was in a Cooper too - it was only after he blasted past me & kept pulling away from me on the straights that I eventually twigged that it was a Ferrari laugh Enjoyed the first part of the race battling with Bernie & Rick though - all 3 of us had minor offs which allowed the others past but unfortunately Bernie eventually clonked something a bit more solid which was a shame after leading so strongly. After that I managed to close up on Rick but then made a slight error in Druids - clipped the edge of the "weeds" at the apex but it was like hitting a pile of bricks & spun me off.

The rest of the race was a bit of a time trial - watching Prib & trying (unsuccessfully) to cut into Rick's 20 second lead. Near the end Rick had a mishap (just saw the replay - that was a major crash Rick!) which halved his lead & I pushed hard but still couldn't catch him. Congratulations to the podium & all the finishers (which in this case is the same thing Cheesy) - another strong win for Rick & finally an engine blowup-free race for Steve.
Billy Nobrakes
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:50 PM +0100 »

Maybe I get the GPL record for shortest race ever? didn't manage to cross the start line. No real complaints about the rear end shunt from Vos - these things happen. Not as if my eratic driving hasn't caused problems for others in the past.
A point I may have made before but will make again - as I don't have a race to report on. Assuming we have enough drivers for two 67 grids I think the second / privateers grid should have Shift R - perhaps limited to non-fault / once only. Whilst the better drivers (Rick & Al)cope quite well there are some that are not skilled / experienced enough to drive 67 cars near the(ir) limit without making the odd mistake. Early exit means we don't get much racing experience. Also may be a limiting factor in getting new drivers to join.
Noted also there were only three finishers out of 11 starters.
Appreciate that Season 18 rules are set so I'll stick with it for this season.

Leading from the back at Black Night Racing
john roberts
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 02:01:25 PM +0100 »

A point I may have made before but will make again - as I don't have a race to report on. Assuming we have enough drivers for two 67 grids I think the second / privateers grid should have Shift R - perhaps limited to non-fault / once only. Whilst the better drivers (Rick & Al)cope quite well there are some that are not skilled / experienced enough to drive 67 cars near the(ir) limit without making the odd mistake. Early exit means we don't get much racing experience. Also may be a limiting factor in getting new drivers to join.
Noted also there were only three finishers out of 11 starters.
Appreciate that Season 18 rules are set so I'll stick with it for this season.

a point you have made many times Bill , however it's not going to change this season .

as for other seasons i hope it stays pro as it teaches better driving and races that have shift-r's usally end up as crash fests , there is also the point of modding all the rules that come with shift-r's , pro makes life so much more simple for everybody .

john
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:10:24 PM +0100 by john roberts » Logged
Al Heller
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:31:08 PM +0100 »

a point you have made many times Bill , however it's not going to change this season .

as for other seasons i hope it stays pro as it teaches better driving and races that have shift-r's usally end up as crash fests , there is also the point of modding all the rules that come with shift-r's , pro makes life so much more simple for everybody .

john

Here's a (not very serious) idea for next season.. you could allow privateers 1 shift-R per race (regardless of fault) but using it costs 10 tokens Wink
b_1_rd
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:31:00 PM +0100 »

Well that was all a bit of a rollercoaster of a race.  I joined qualifying and found the various red bars bouncing off the top mark, cars dissapearing and reappearing, my screen flickering with mini disco's and 3 full disco's!  I tried reseting the router at my end in case it was something to do with that, I tried joining in a different car (cooper) but no joy I even tried a 67 race on VROC to see it that would reset something as time was getting short, that worked fine but the UKGPL server was the same.  I reluctantly posted something on chat at risk of putting someone off a fastest lap, and was mildly relieved to find others were having issues too.  I tried one more time out on track and it was no better so gave up, and decided to quit.

Then....

Back in IGOR, I thought about it for a few seconds and decided I may as well see if I can get away at the back of the grid and see if things settle down.  I rejoined just in time, then doing a quick check of everything I missed the start from the grid and had to go from pit lane which put me a lap down straight away.

Anyway, the server seemed to behave! Thank heavens!

I seemed to have a reasonable pace in the blue brabham (yes that was me Tim) and was able to catch a few guys fairly quickly, conscious not to risk their race as I was technically a lap down on them, but got passed without too much fuss and many having issues spinning or being very cautions in the early laps.

Best I could hope for was for people to fall off properly and have to quit. To my suprise, many did, very quickly.  It wasn't that long before only 3 of us were left! I was still a good lap down from Al and Rick with no chance of catching them and then making up another whole lap again to challenge so thought I'd have a bit of fun with the car see how far I could push.  That kept me entertained for a few laps.  Had some lucky escapes with offs and Rick and Al eventually put me 2 laps down.

I carried on to the end in the small hope Rick may throw it down the road and I could get a few more team points in combination with Al, but he was too good and kept it all together to take a deserved win with a not too distant Al in 2nd.

So it all came good in the end, as Al said a full distance (- 2 laps) for me without trashing the engine.  I guess I suit a brabham engine better than a cooper  Undecided

WD to all who tried, great drive from Rick and Al.  It's a tricky track, but I like it for the challenge and seem to go OK at the likes of Oulton and Brands.  I doubt I'll be gifted as much in Am's but you never know, the Aliens might like the look of the lake for a quick dip! Wink
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:36:12 PM +0100 by b_1_rd » Logged

Steve

Remember, you’re an individual, just like everyone else.
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:18:54 PM +0100 »

john

Here's a (not very serious) idea for next season.. you could allow privateers 1 shift-R per race (regardless of fault) but using it costs 10 tokens Wink
Hmmm we'd have to beg Giz and send him a box of chocolates to get SROU to do that  Grin
I'm happy to let democracy prevail next season, one for the end of season review. Out of the next six races we have a few old favorites coming up.
Rick Nauman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:24:45 PM +0100 »

I agree, quite a roller coaster!  Same for me with connection meters jumping all over the place in qualy.  I exited and rejoined by direct connection hoping it was an iGOR thing but it did not help.  (hence, 2 qualy times for me.)  Almost skipped the race for fear of messing someone up with my car jumping all around but in the end I decided to see how it would go in the race.  From memory I'm wanting to say it didn't totally clear up at the start but was flawless for me for the last 95% of the race.  Not sure that's true but if it is maybe the problem was with someones individual connection and it cleared up when they quit.  Just a hunch.

The race was fun though lacking in close racing for most of the time.  My last qualy was near my PB but would have been better had I not run out of fuel somewhere near the pedestrian over pass.  I sputtered it to the line!  Got a good start, what with a gap back to Al on the grid.  Naturally I took it easy on heavy fuel and cold tires but was able to build a few seconds lead.  But on lap 4 I got a little greedy and paid for it with a spin at the kink before the hairpin.  Bernie, Al and B. Antoszczys (sorry don't know the first name) got past me so now it was time to play catch up and try to make some passes.  In the end all three accommodated me with spins or bobbles of their own and I got back to P1.  I built up a very comfortable lead and was just pushing to get to the end when I goofed up cascades and went off into the grass, just missing the hay bales around the tower by inches.  (Or would that be centimeters for you guys?  Cheesy  ).   It didn't cost me a whole bunch of time but scared the crap out of me.  Then my BIG off came.  With about 7 to go my friggin screen saver kicked in as I climbed the hill to the pits!  I eased off and just guessed where the turn would be, frantically wiggling my mouse like crazy.  Ended up spinning and blindly hitting stuff but miraculously stayed upright with all wheels connected facing backwards in the pit lane!  Luckily my lead was big enough that I was able to retake the track still in P1.  The lead was now about 10 seconds and I went into conservative mode except for one lap where I had my best lap on low fuel.  I was very lucky to finish let alone finish in first.

Congrats to all (both) the finishers and I'm looking forward to the next one.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:26:51 PM +0100 by Rick Nauman » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com