Quarterly cost: �0

April 26, 2024, 12:32:38 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPP Roy Hesketh (…
S4455GPW Roy Hesketh (…
S4466CA Bathurst
S4467F1W Mont-Tremblant
S4467F1P Mont-Tremblant
S4467F2P Snetterton (L…
S4467F2A Snetterton (L…
Forthcoming
S4455GPP Reims (1954-7…
S4455GPW Reims (1954-7…
S4466CA Michigan
S4467F1P Aintree
S4467F1W Aintree
S4467F2P Sempione (193…
S4467F2A Sempione (193…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Joint 67 Novice Series with GPFun  (Read 4215 times)
Phil Thornton
UKGPL Consigliere
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:06:52 PM +0000 »

I started a topic on this in the UKGPL General section but very few people seem to have noticed it (in fact I know the original post in the UKGPL General section isn't public).  So I've started the thread again here.

GPFun are starting a 67 series (called GPFun Light) specifically aimed at their rookie drivers.  They don't have enough drivers to make a full grid so they have asked if we wanted to run a joint division similar to the one we run with GBGPL (The Gold Cup).  This would be an opportunity for some of our Novices in the 65 cars to have a go at the 67s. 

The races would probably be run on a Tuesday at 20:15 London UK time (obviously these would have to be run on the alternate weeks to the Novice 65s and would mean drivers couldn't compete in the Historics).  But a Wednesday or Thursday is a possibility.

If you are interested please post a reply here.
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:21 AM +0000 »

I'll be interested, but it's depending on what tracks are used. I'd perfer tracks that are either easy to learn, or we've used before, so I don't have to worry about learning the track at the same time I'm learning to drive the car.

GPL65Rank = coming soon.....
GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
maestro57

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:07:28 PM +0000 »

I'd be intersested

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."
lucav

http://www.gpfun.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 01:03:32 PM +0000 »

Hello Everybody and thanks a lot Phil for starting the thread !

Very briefly, GPFun has been running since 2003 and always had a single group running 90 minutes races with 67 cars.
This is a rather demanding format so we would now like to start something a little easier, open to everyone but particularly aimed at novices.

We had 8 drivers at Kyalami; tonight (wed november 4) we are racing at Oulton Park 60s version; anybody is welcome to join.

Schematically:
GPFun Light
Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night, around 2015 UK time (can be changed if needed by UK participants)
45 minutes races
1967 cars
Fast drivers are asked to drive slower cars (details later if requested)

The Light race follows the GPFun season, on these tracks (in no particular order)

Nurburgring       
Monza
Rouen   
Spa               
Mexico
Watkins Glen
Silverstone

Oulton Park 60s
Sebring
Road Atlanta
Snetterton 67
Osterreichring
StJovite
Willow Spring or Buenos Aires 67
Elkhart Lake (Road America)
Hockenheim
Keimola

Thanks for the interest!
Luca
happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:22:57 PM +0000 »

Looking good, the earlier the better for me, so 2015 suits me fine.

I'll try to make as many races as I can, any day suits me as long as it doesn't clash with 65 Novices.

GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
lucav

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:21:12 PM +0000 »

Looking good, the earlier the better for me, so 2015 suits me fine.

We don't have rules in English yet, but there are just a couple anyway.

Simplest thing if you want to race tonight is to get on vroc, chat "italiani" (no quotes) around 2100 italian time (20UK).
I'll then explain everything to you.

Bye,
Luca
vosblod
Former UKGPL Moderators

can divide by zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:58 AM +0000 »

I'd be interested as long as it's not Tuesdays. Would only be able to attend some of them.
Is there a schedule of race dates?
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:34:59 PM +0000 »

I would be interested in mid week 67 races but would not be able to make many.

Do we need to register on your site too?

lucav

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:54:44 PM +0000 »

Races would be every other week, but they will be interrupted by holidays etc.
The next race will be in two weeks time.
There is no calendar yet and, quite frankly, the organization will depend very much on the interest.

I'll write the (simple) rules in English soon, but here you can find the GPFun rules in English.
The Light trophy will have just some minor modifications.

We use a web based race registration (see http://www.gpfun.net/public/forum/entrylist.asp ) that
also assign the car (see below).
The form requires users to be registered for the forum, so I would ask you to do so: it decreases my workload ! Smiley

Car choice
Briefly: the participants choose their car class based on performance or preference (can be different in each race); within the class the car is
then assigned randomly (by the web based registration form).
For instance, if class D is chosen there is a 10% chance to be assigned a Ferrari and 45% chance to get a Lotus or Eagle.

We use classes to level the performance and have people race together; the randomization helps to get all the different cars on track.

Bye,
Luca

lucav

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:04:36 PM +0000 »

The third race of the GPFun Light series will take care on Wed. Nov 18, starting at 2115 italian time (2015 UK time).

1967 cars
Rouen, 22 laps
Get together: 1950 UK time in chat "italiani" (no quotes) in vroc
Server: gpfun.net  , password communicated in chat just before the race
Important: read the briefing (coloured map) at http://www.gpfun.net/public/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1827

Race registration:
It would be helpful if you could formally register for the race. The procedure is simple:

- login to the gpfun forum  http://www.gpfun.net/public/forum/
- select your car class (see rules below)
- register for the race by clicking "select" in the appropriate list at   http://www.gpfun.net/public/forum/entrylist.asp

Thanks for the interest,
Luca

lucav

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 01:12:17 PM +0000 »

GPFun Light rules , racing every other wednesday

- Race distance: approximately 45 minutes
- Reset allowed anywhere, but a stop'n'go in the pitlane must follow.  The car must come to a complete stop but there is no need to wait further
- Start procedure: there is a period of no-overtaking at the start of the race. Carefully read each race briefing for the details

Car classes:
Faster drivers are asked to select slower classes (higher letters); within each class, the car is chosen randomly when a driver register for the race on the website
http://www.gpfun.net/public/forum/entrylist.asp

Class A1: BRM-Honda-Cooper   (less chances to get a Cooper rather than one of the other two)
Class A2: Cooper-BRM-Honda (more chances to get a Cooper)
Class B  : Cooper - Brabham
Class C1: Brabham - Ferrari
Class C2: Brabham - Ferrari - Lotus - Eagle  (very small chances to get a Lotus or Eagle, considered bonus cars)
Class D  : Ferrari - Lotus - Eagle (very small chances to get a Ferrari)
Class DZ: Lotus - Eagle

Have Fun!

happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 02:43:36 PM +0000 »

Hello,

I’ve registered, and subscribed to the race Smiley looking forward to it.

I’ve put myself as a Class D, to be honest I should be a DZ but I wanted a chance at a Ferrari.

I’ve seen the map with the no overtaking zone, sounds interesting. How do you do the start? Is it a standing start, but you just slowly move away from the line into second, while keeping a constant distance with the car in front?

GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
lucav

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 02:53:51 PM +0000 »

Thanks for registering, you are welcome to drop a line in our forum if you want. English is fine, even if everything is in Italian right now (no foreigners in a long time).

I’ve seen the map with the no overtaking zone, sounds interesting. How do you do the start? Is it a standing start, but you just slowly move away from the line into second, while keeping a constant distance with the car in front?

Exactly. It's basically a rolling start "gpl style".
When the flag drops the first few rows start moving; people in the last few rows are better not do anything until they see the car in front move.

Then it's just a matter of keeping a steady pace and distance from the car ahead of you. There is time for everybody to get in line and settle down; when the red zone ends you start driving normally but avoid any overtaking. Usually the yellow zone extends until a tricky corner like an hairpin.

If anybody spins out of the track then you can take his position. If you overtake somebody by mistake, instead, just let him through safely at the first occasion, even if it is after the red/yellow zone. If you overtake somebody and don't give up the position you get disqualified Smiley

I'd rather do standing starts but in our experience the risk of ruining the race is not worth the small price of a rolling start. Remember that we do 90 minutes races, so there is plenty of time to make up for the start.
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:51:59 PM +0000 »

OK, I will look into this when I get home. Next wednesday is perhaps good for me so I hope to enter my first online 67 race.

happyal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 04:45:56 PM +0000 »

OK, I will look into this when I get home. Next wednesday is perhaps good for me so I hope to enter my first online 67 race.

It'll be my first ever 67 online race too, looking forward to it. Glad you've started with a track that I know too Smiley

GPL65v2Rank = +187.164
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com