Quarterly cost: �0

nonchalant-unilinear
March 28, 2024, 04:46:54 PM +0000 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
S4455GPP
S4455GPW
S4466CA
S4467F1P
S4467F1W
S4467F2A
S4467F2P
S44JSMT
Recent
S4455GPW Indianapolis …
S4455GPP Indianapolis …
S4466CA Road America (…
S4467F1W Imola (1953-7…
S4467F1P Imola (1953-7…
S4467F2A Ingliston
S4467F2P Ingliston
Forthcoming
S44JSMT Goodwood (Circ…
S44JSMT Boreham Airfie…

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • S18N Adelaide: December 15, 2009
December 15, 2009, 10:01:03 PM +0000 - Adelaide (GP) - UKGPL Season 18 (2009-2010) Novices Trophy (65)
Driver
 Team
Nat. Make Model Class Qualifying Race
Tyres Pos Time/Gap Pos Time/Gap Laps Stops Best Retirement
reason
Ballast
Al Heller
 Clark-Hill Racing
Brabham BT7 (Climax) F1 1965 2 +0.200
---
1 40:07.675
---
25 1:34.752
---
Dunlop  
G Jonsson

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 1 1:33.953
---
2 +7.664
---
25 1:34.253
---
Goodyear  
D-Rock

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 6 +3.006
---
3 +1:05.322
---
25 1:36.657
---
Dunlop  
Ross Neilson

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 4 +1.844
---
4 +1:15.876
---
25 1:36.094
---
Dunlop  
NickyIckx
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 3 +1.007
---
5 +1:24.906
---
25 1:35.464
---
Dunlop  
john491

Honda RA272 F1 1965 8 +3.303
---
6 +1:32.611
---
25 1:36.071
---
Goodyear  
vosblod
 Clark-Hill Racing
Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 12 +5.116
---
7 +1L
---
24 1:38.442
---
Dunlop  
Nigel Smith

Lotus 33 (Climax 1965) F1 1965 9 +3.755
---
8 +12.056
---
24 1:38.634
---
Dunlop  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 11 +4.247
---
9 +23.150
---
24 1:38.905
---
Dunlop  
Billy Nobrakes
 Black Night Racing
Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 13 +5.403
---
10 +28.840
---
24 1:39.322
---
Goodyear  
NHance
 Mountside Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 10 +3.846
---
11 +33.459
---
24 1:38.576
---
Dunlop  
Flatspot

Brabham BT11 (Climax) F1 1965 5 +2.357
---
12 +1:05.545
---
24 1:37.212
---
Goodyear  
roguk
 Clark-Hill Racing
BRM P261 (1965) F1 1965 7 +3.051
---
13 +24L
---
1 1:42.253
---
Dunlop  
Nigel Smith

Ferrari 512 F1 1965 14 DNS ---
---
Dunlop  
norbert
 Antipasti Racing
Ferrari 512 F1 1965 15 ---
---
Dunlop  
NickyIckx
 Antipasti Racing
Cooper T77 (Climax) F1 1965 16 ---
---
Dunlop  

Moderator's Report

SUMMARY

An important win for Al Heller in his chase for the title. After setting the pole time and leading for much of the race Tussman had to settle for second place after a titanic race long dual. DRock grabbed the second podium of his career with a solid drive to third place.

Server replay time: 0h18m56s

Lap 11 - Wakefield Corner – Nhance and Flatspot

Norm (Nhance) is leading Phil (Flatspot) when they pull over to let the leaders lap them. Norm is a little too courteous, running very wide and loosing momentum. Phil seizes on the opportunity to overtake and gets alongside Norm as they enter the next left-hander. Neither driver gives way and contact is made.

This was a legitimate passing attempt and both drivers were entitled to fight for position. Phil had achieved more than a 50% overlap but not 100%. Once side-by-side both drivers moved over. This was a contested pass and consequently is classed as a racing incident.

Advice. Neither driver benefits from a coming together due to a contested pass and it is not a situation in which blame can be apportioned to one party alone. Both drivers have a responsibility to give each other room in a 50:50 situation such as this. If you can’t see the other car in your mirrors you must assume they are along side and drive accordingly. Eventually one or other driver will get the upper hand, possibly several corners later. Norm should have kept a tighter inside line and Phil should have stayed a bit wider.

• Racing incident

Server replay time: 0h36m35s

Lap 21 - Racetrack Corner – Nhance and Flatspot

This time Phil is leading and runs wide and it is Norms chance to mount an attack. Norm gets along side on the exit of Brabham Hairpin but Phil has the inside line into Racetrack. Neither driver wants to give way and contact is made.

Again this was a legitimate overtaking attempt. Neither driver had won the corner and they were entitled to fight for position. Racing incident.

Advice. The driver on the outside will always be at a disadvantage because of the risk of lag. Lag always pushes cars wide so the inside car is never at risk of lag contact but the outside car is. Consequently, in the interests of self preservation, the car taking the wide line should always leave a little more room than would be absolutely necessary in real life.

• Racing incident

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: UKGPL Season 18 (2009) Novices Trophy (65) - Adelaide (GP) - Dec 15  (Read 9375 times)
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:21:56 PM +0000 »

UKGPL Season 18 (2009) Novices Trophy (65) - Round 7 - Adelaide

The eight round of the season takes place down under on the sunny streets of Adelaide. The circuit is a temporary street circuit in the East Parklands and played host to 11 Formula One Grand Prix events from 1985 to 1995. It is the scene of Niki Lauda's last race and Ayrton Senna's last win, and it has also proven to be the deciding round in more than one World Championship, including the famous incidents involving Nigel Mansell in 1986 and Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher in 1994.

It also held the shortest race in Formula 1 history when the race was stopped after 14 laps due to heavy rain.

The version of the circuit we will be using can be found here:
http://jrpearson.homestead.com/AdelaideCircuits.html

The restriction that reserve drivers should not join the race server until there are only 30 mins of qualifying left is being relaxed for this race.  We have enough grid slots to accomodate all the full-time and reserve drivers so there is no risk of a reserve driver taking a full-time driver's grid slot.

No drivers should go out on track until there is 30 minutes of qualifying left - this helps to ensure all the drivers have joined the server successfully before qualifying begins.

Please restrict chat to "pit in" / "pit out"  messages, and at the end of the race avoid chat until ALL drivers still racing have crossed the line.

Please be in the IGOR UKGPL chatroom by 8:55 p.m.
(You will need to set up a channel called #ukgpl if you haven't already done so)
IGOR and Race passwords: see above

Server = 6.UKGPL
IP Address = 80.5.200.198
Race Date = 15-12-2009
Time = 21:00
Track = Adelaide
Variant = 65F1
Damage Model = Intermediate
Qually Time = 30 minutes.
Race Length = Long
Password: see above

Driver lists can be found on the championship standings page

Chassis allocations are below, and the same chassis will be used for all races this season unless there is an adjustment agreed by the moderator.  Please note chassis adjustments can be made at any time not just at the mid season review.  Good luck!

FULL TIME DRIVERS
Burtoner - Brabham BT7
G Poole - Brabham BT11
Vosblod - Lotus
Happy Al - Lotus
Maestro - Brabham BT11
Nicky - Cooper
Bookie - Ferrari
Norbert - Ferrari
NHance - BRM
Al Heller - Brabham BT7
Il Lupo - Ferrari
RogUK - BRM
Mark65 - Brabham BT11
Barry De La Rosa - Ferrari
Billy Nobrakes - Brabham BT11
Bernie - Honda
Tussman - Brabham BT11
Roberto Motta - Lotus

RESERVE DRIVERS
Viss - Ferrari
Karlisss - Honda
D-Rock - Lotus
Gilles27 - Lotus
Rogster - Honda
Nigel Smith - Lotus
Flatspot - Brabham
John491 - Honda
Maddog - Lotus
grahamrd - Lotus

Please use the updated 65 mod for this race.
If you have re-installed UKGPL over the summer break or are joining us for the first time, please don't forget to use the updated 65 mod which is available here: Jamesonline.net/UKGPL
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:09:33 PM +0000 by Phil Thornton » Logged

Flatspot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:16:50 AM +0000 »

I've been practising here recently at Adelaide for the next round.  I hope I get a spot on the grid and can improve my performance after Zandvoort.  Enthusiastic newbie waffle follows:

It seems the key there is finding the best compromise between a setup that's soft enough to be aggressive over the curbs at the first chicane and at Markets Kink (I'm only riding these curbs significantly with the right-hand wheels), but not so soft that the car is unresponsive in the rest of the lap.

I think I'm getting there, the only place the car catches me out even when I'm concentrating properly is at the entrance to Wakefield Corner.  Sometimes the car wants to pull to the left under braking, and if that happens I end up running very wide.  Surely the car can't still be affected by the left-hander after the chicane by then?  The only way I've managed to be reasonably fast through there is by chucking the car into the corner and hoping for the best.

The other problem is Stag Hotel, where the car's often still slightly unsettled by Markets Kink, and oversteers a bit.  It's hard to use all the road here, and I seem mostly to be just trying to catch the car when it's pointing the right way and powering out.  If I do run out wide, snicking the kerb even slightly makes me spin.  Brewery Bend is a lot of fun though, and when I get the trajectory right the car follows the groove and then the kerb catches the slide for me.
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:47:58 PM +0000 »

Certain parts of this track are very slippery and Stag Hotel is one of them. I exit the kink and get the car settled with a bit of throttle before braking for the right hander. You may find the car naturally starts to slide right and you can use that to get the nose pointed in the right direction and control the exit with throttle. Takes practise but its doable.

Try this setup that I use. A team mate and I can do mid to low 35s with it so far but have best sectors for 34s.

http://www.jamesonline.net/gpl/setups_65.htm

If you find it to sensitive and pointy, you could change the diff settings.

Flatspot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:51:01 PM +0000 »

Wow, your setup is tons softer than mine!  (Even though it's for the Lotus and mine's for the Brabham, the cars aren't that different surely.)

My PB is around 1:35.7 so perhaps I don't need to be looking for more speed as much as I do consistency.  I'll experiment with softening things up a bit on mine and see if it helps.

I'm not sure how much faith I put in combined sectors, as you can reduce them quite a bit by not braking nearly enough just before the timers for sectors 2 and 3 are triggered.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:57:40 PM +0000 by Flatspot » Logged
miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:16:48 PM +0000 »

Yeah, prib is a good guide but can be misleading at times, also, consistency will help here as the track is so slippery people are bound to spin, especially with somebody in their mirrors.

Ross Neilson
UKGPL Divisional Moderator
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 08:49:43 AM +0000 »

Flatspot, I've been finding pretty much the same thing as you - only I can't do a 1m35s!!

This is a track that I am finding it hard to be consistent on - I get on or two sectors right each lap, but never all four. More practice needed.

Cheers,

Ross

Racing as Ross Neilson 65/66/69 for Clark-Hill Racing
Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 11:16:00 AM +0000 »

Hi Mike,

I've been doing plenty of laps with your setup, it's a lot better than the one I was using before. Typically I can do 37s and 36s, occasionally getting 35s when I hook it all up.

The main problem I seem to be having is getting heat into the tyres. Pribulda's tyre temp indicators only get up to green after around 5 or 6 laps, before that I get chronic understeer and my times are really slow.

Is this normal? Perhaps I need to be more aggressive on cold tyres to get the heat into them quicker.

Cheers,

Ross

miner2049er
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 11:38:08 AM +0000 »

The main problem I seem to be having is getting heat into the tyres. Pribulda's tyre temp indicators only get up to green after around 5 or 6 laps, before that I get chronic understeer and my times are really slow.

Bear in mind that I am running in Pro 50% races so if I have the tyres too hot, by mid way in a Pro race they will be no use. GPL doesn't have tyre wear so they don't degrade over the race but if they are too hot they will lose performance, so if the first few laps are under temp it isn't too much of a problem and everyone else is in the same position anyway. Also the heavier fuel load I run at the start of a race will help me heat them more quickly than you will with a low fuel load.

I find the opposite than you though, I find I get oversteer, but if you approach the turn in a little slower by braking a little earlier and getting on the throttle as you approach the apex then the back should be happy to step out and you can get a nice 4 wheel drift going on and through the exit. That's the theory anyway though i don't always manage it.

If you're really not happy put an extra psi in each tyre or try 2 and see how hot they are after a longer run (half a Novices race length).

Ross Neilson
Former UKGPL Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:39:41 PM +0000 »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I tried changing my driving style as you suggested and it seems to have helped a bit. I'm getting more consistent now, did a 12 lap run with only one spin, which is good progress for me.

I think I might have been wrong about the tyre temps - at the end of the day, as you say, everyone is on cold tyres for the first few laps, and Adelaide is a short lap so it will take 4 or 5 to get them up to temp.

I see the race length is set to Long, I make that 25 laps, is that right? It's going to be a tough 45 minutes or so of racing, concentration is key around here, IMO.

Cheers,

Ross

D-Rock

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 07:15:19 PM +0000 »

I noticed that in the first post the info for the Amateurs is shown, which among other things says that there are enough slots for all full time and reserve drivers. This obviously isn't the case so i thought I'd point that out.  Smiley

As for the race, what is the rule on going wide over the curb at the exit of the backstretch kink? I know it's quite a risk to try it but will we be penalized if we do?
EvilClive
UKGPL Senior Consultant
UKGPL Moderators

I always play by the rules.... they are MY rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 07:38:55 PM +0000 »

You wont be penalised for going wide there.  Grin

But, be very careful in getting back onto the racing line, because someone who has got that corner nailed will be catching you very fast. If you pull back onto the main circuit and cause an "incident" the moderators may take a dim view. hang
Not that I have EVER done anything like that you understand Roll Eyes

Evil Waza, now a completely reformed character!
          **NOW AVAILABLE ON TWITCH @ Evilclive67**
Rank   Only when I sweat
maddog

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:35:17 PM +0000 »

Hi all,

I'm left in the paddock. while you're all racing.  My first ever online campionship race - alas.

My mechanic tells be it would be better to develop a Turbo-brain first, so I'm faster.

That's fare enough, but my transporter broke down before I even reached the track!  PASSWORD

INCORRECT.  Was Nickys server not S+++++ or maybe case sensitive?  Either way, I was expecting

someone to stop in the chatroom for 5 minutes with a tow rope!

Sorry I missed the fun - that "L" plate or novice 'X' is going to have to stay on longer now . . . .

"sob . . . snifle !"
bernie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 10:43:14 PM +0000 »

Yet another No Go for me , couldnt join Nicky's server this time I get .....

10054 ERROR DETECTED

wtf is that  Angry

Then try to join by IP and there is

IPX node bla! bla! bla! in the place where you should be able to type the IP address .

Then try re boot till im blue in the face, but its just the same  Undecided

I go to Monza (on line ) no probs , its fine !

What do I have to do?  this is driving me to an early grave, I dont understand why I can join on line races but when theres a password needed I cant get in (where is the "shit" emoticon)

gone for a STIFF DRINK to CALM DOWN

bernie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 10:46:49 PM +0000 »

Hi all,

I'm left in the paddock. while you're all racing.  My first ever online campionship race - alas.

My mechanic tells be it would be better to develop a Turbo-brain first, so I'm faster.

That's fare enough, but my transporter broke down before I even reached the track!  PASSWORD

INCORRECT.  Was Nickys server not S+++++ or maybe case sensitive?  Either way, I was expecting

someone to stop in the chatroom for 5 minutes with a tow rope!

Sorry I missed the fun - that "L" plate or novice 'X' is going to have to stay on longer now . . . .

"sob . . . snifle !"

Saw you in chat mate but was to busy trying to sort out my own probs , chin up and better luck next time  Smiley

maddog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:47:30 PM +0000 »

Now I see it  !!!!!!!!!    Top of page at 9am - clandestine stuff.  I checked a few hours too early.

It's like the French at Le Mans - they used to change the regulations at the last moment to help the

home teams.  But I'm British I tell you . . . I even drive a Lotus, when

allowed . . .  "grumble . . grumble!"

Maddog.  (becoming mad)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by DaveGymer.com