by SimRacing.org.uk  

Read this first!    

nonchalant-unilinear
April 29, 2024, 03:36:53 AM +0100 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Series
Recent
Forthcoming
News: Upcoming Events are as follows: 1 - RRE/AC/ACC Sunday - No event ; 2 - GTL Monday - No event 3 - AC Wed - No event 4 - RRE Thursday - No event

RACE SERIES KEY A19=Assetto Corsa, E10=Raceroom Experience, L23=UKGTL GT Legends, LN2=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends, LNE1=Legacy NoGrip GT Legends Endurance races

Start Here      Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register     LM2 Replays Rules Links Circuits Teams  
Linked Events
  • i Watkins Glen: December 29, 2009
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: iRacing - Dallara Indycar @ Watkins Glen (Boot) ENDURANCE - Dec 29  (Read 10746 times)
Mike Wrightson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2009, 10:10:29 PM +0000 »

Wow, that was 49 laps of sheer terror Grin

My setup was built for a rolling start, so it was pants from the standing start, managed to get past Dave early on and set off after Shark.  It was here that I realised my 6th gear was too short as I was bouncing off the limiter in his slipstream.  Stayed really close and we pitted together.  Got out in front of him!  Then pushed hard to try and get a gap, got it out to nearly 4 seconds at one point but he pulled it back to about 3 when we pitted for the second time.

Shark was right behind me out of the pits and easily drafted past me before the bus stop Sad  bugger.

Try as I might I could not close up and lapping backmarkers left me 3 seconds back with toasted rear tyres.  Settled for 2nd Smiley

Thanks Shark, that was brilliant!

Team Shark!
ginsters sponsored
Grey Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2009, 10:10:42 PM +0000 »

Jeebus, that is really hard. Actually feels like an achievement to get there and I would have if I didn't spin on last lap Cheesy

I took it really easy at start whilst others didn't and looked like it ended in tears for them, you live and learn? Was completely alone until Pops started to catch me and at least I could gauge pace off of him. Did that ok until 1st pit but that was hopeless. Think I must have pressed an arrow key somehow and I was sat in DG's cockpit but I couldn't, unfortunately, crash it. Que much swearing and button bashing with success (it doesn't always works I find). Left pits on vapours but made it around again somehow for much needed fuel. All worked fine second time but it left me nowhere again. Pushed hard and eventually caught Martin. Even though I was a little faster I didn't have a clue how close quarters racing was gonna go and never really put the pressure on him I should have. He'd have held anyways, nerves of steel that man  Wink

I need more/some pracci to feel confident enough to race these motors close quarters but I'm sure it can be done. Congrats to all who reached the finish Smiley

For me, that was the hardest enduro I've done in a while. Sure it'll get easier so I'd want some more, just not every week Wink

Simon Gymer
Former Moderators

Cool Bite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:25 PM +0000 »

I love the IndyCar, it's by far my favorite car in the game. Loads of mechanical grip, pretty forgiving over the bumps, some aero downforce too, workable brakes and plenty of power. It's basically the dream car. Grin

Awesome race with Michael throughout the whole race. Both Gizmo and I caught Michael napping off the line and this let me lead stint 1. On pitting I was sandwiched in the pits by Michael in the pit box in front and Gizmo in the pit box behind. Lost time not going when the countdown went zero and not being able to get around Michael I had to let him leave first really anyway. Cheeky bugger knew something I didn't though (that you can drive through cars in the pits like they were ghosts). Second stint I followed him. Initially after a bit of overdriving he opened a 2-3 second gap which I then held and reigned in a little coming up to the second pit stop. We once again came in together and I was ready this time and I followed him an inch from his rear wing up the hill and passed him with my top end straight line speed advantage. Was pretty close for a few laps, then with some traffic to lap a small gap appeared and I managed to bang in 1:34s for about 10 laps near the end to keep the advantage and win the race.

I thoroughly enjoyed the fight even though there was really only one overtake. It was a battle of will as much as anything, to not make a big mistake and avoid the launch ramp at the bus stop.

Looking forward to the next IndyCar race.

Intel I7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
MSI NVidia 2080 Ti Gaming X TRIO
16GB DDR3 2400Mhz
3x 1920x1080 27" monitors
Thrustmaster T300GTE Wheel + T3PA Pro Pedals
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2009, 10:17:30 PM +0000 »

I must apologise to Martin.  I had spun at the bus stop and on exiting the loop Picnic had passed me and braked sooner than I anticipated into the downhill left hander.  I chucked my car into a spin to avoid rear ending him and was attempting a spin turn to get myself back going again which didn't come off as planned and I crept slowly into Martin's path.  Sorry mate.

Really not enjoying the IndyCar at the moment.  The threshold between being below and above the limit seems tiny and although I managed to find some decent pace toward then end of the race it seemed like only a matter of time before I'd be chewed up and spat at the armco once more. Sad

Grats to Simon, Michael and Ken.
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2009, 10:36:53 PM +0000 »

I suck in the Indy car  Grin
My excuse tonight is that I came straight form a Vette race at Sebring where you need to be very early and careful on the brakes in the Corvette to the Indy car where it's brake as late as you can  Shocked (who believes me?)

I wasn't going to enter after Q as I was so far off the average pace, but as there wasn't that many cars racing I thought I'd give it a go.
Things started badly as I dropped the clutch and selected first the car jumped forward on the grid giving me a black flag and stop/go, after I stopped I cut the yellow line on the pit exit and was then given another stop/go lol, so nearly a lap down already my race started...

I just tried to be as consistent as I could and make my scheduled pit stops on time and safely, which kinda worked out ok.
Hope I didn't give any of the lappers too many problems getting passed, felt guilty being out there and being so slow.
I enjoyed nevertheless and thanks for settting it all up.
picnic
Director, Servers
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2009, 10:41:04 PM +0000 »

I had spun at the bus stop and on exiting the loop Picnic had passed me and braked sooner than I anticipated into the downhill left hander.  I chucked my car into a spin to avoid rear ending him

I think this corner sums up my lack of talent in any racing sim. I just don't have the remotest idea how to get around that corner anywhere near a safe enough pace that doesn't cause the car behind me to hit me or throw themselves off to avoid the inevitable accident  :'( It's all about braking and I'm useless at it, sorry for that  Embarrassed

Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2009, 10:42:01 PM +0000 »

Virtually missed all of qually due to the badly timed presentation of the evening meal!!!

I only got two flying laps in and one of them was scratched for taking too much grass!!

Anyway I got an unusually good start, for me anyway, squeezing up between the two rows of cars and made up two or three places. I stayed wide in T1 but Dan came up the inside and then just let in run out it front of me. I could do nothing, fortunately the small contact sent him spinning and thankfully I only lost a bit of momentum. Sorry about that Dan, I don't know how much info your spotter was giving you but best to stick to either the inside or the outside through T1. Anyway it was a shame cos I think we were pretty well matched on our practice times. And anway, who am I to preach after my last T1 in the Dallara!!!

Anyway after that I was chasing Dave but Brendan was right on me and I couldn't relax. When Brendan dropped back I could concentrate more on my driving and back markers allowed me to reel Dave back in. Then he washed out in front of me and again I got away with the minor contact and continued on in third. I stayed out a lap longer than the front two and so had the pleasure of one lap in the lead. Smiley

Anyway my joy was short lived because I cocked up my pitstop again. I was OK on the long run in to my box right down at the end but when I pulled away I was too eager and got a black flag for speeding. Bugger. Spent the next lap frantically dialling out all of the fuel on my pitstop setting and attempting to remove the tyre change, to no avail. When I rejoined I was now running 4th with Iain shown as 3rd, where did he come from?!!

I then stayed out as long as I could for the final stop and reduced the fuel load accordingly to try to regain some of the time to Iain. I didn't think that would be enough on it's own but to my surprise I exited the pits right alongside him. I couldn't get by though and with full tanks and cold tyres and the two leaders coming through I had to drop back a little. Following Simon and Michael dragged me back up to Iain though and eventually I got him going down to the chicane. So I made it to the podium eventually!!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:30:15 AM +0000 by Ken Murray » Logged
Ken Murray

Ducati 996 @ Cadwell Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2009, 11:49:09 PM +0000 »

Forgot to mention Brendan re-appearing over the last 5 or 6 laps and closing in rather rapidly. I was thinking, "what the hell does he think he's playing at, making a race of it at the this late stage?!!" Thankfully he pushed a little too hard and suddenly the gap was comfortable.

Grats to Simon and Michael. They were in a class of their own.
Brendan

Team KC

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2009, 08:10:29 AM +0000 »

I think this corner sums up my lack of talent in any racing sim. I just don't have the remotest idea how to get around that corner anywhere near a safe enough pace that doesn't cause the car behind me to hit me or throw themselves off to avoid the inevitable accident  :'( It's all about braking and I'm useless at it, sorry for that  Embarrassed

No need to apologise Pete.  I believe the greater responsibility lies with the following driver (which ironically was the cause of my earlier spin at bus stop). 

Yes Ken, I managed to summon up some mojo over the last 10 laps and was pushing really hard to catch you but over-did it at the slow left atop the hill and bent my suspension.  Luckily the gap back to Martin was enough that I could limp the last few laps home.
Truetom

Ljubljana, Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2009, 09:13:48 AM +0000 »

...Never quite felt happy going through  those last few turns and sadly early on went too wide onto the grass in the first part then was going too fast for the second bit and needed more track to slow down on but TT took the racing line so sorry there.

Saw you there and when I went by I thought you were waaay back and to the right. Sad Still don't have nearly enough feeling of awareness in these cars to drive by the instinct, I guess. Don't have replay (can't this thing be set to save automaticaly?) so I can't really say how and when and why we had a contact. More races, I guess. Undecided
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 10:26:23 AM +0000 »

Don't have replay (can't this thing be set to save automaticaly?)

Nope, and we've been moaning about it since they launche the replay functionality. GPL had it 15 years ago and this is the same code. Roll Eyes

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Blunder
iRacing Indycar Host
Incident Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2009, 11:06:02 AM +0000 »

Wow that was fun!!

Had an unusual start.... was expecting the pace car and after a slow start and a half spin into Turn 1 I was last by a mile!  Grin

Couldn't believe I caught everyone so quick... no idea why!?
Brendan and I had a slight bump! No worries buddy! slightly bent the one wheel but could continue with no issues.

Just kept on putting in my 1.37/8's had a couple of good pit stops.
Had a few good battles along the way but kept my head!
After numerous spins in practice I felt like I had it tamed and was chucking it into corners!

5th feels like a win for me!  Wink

More of these please!! Lovin it!!

I'd rather be iRacing Ovals.... Smiley     iRacing id= Martin Mason
Dan Minton

http://www.youtube.com/user/LarryLinton

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2009, 11:22:16 AM +0000 »

bloody gutted with that !

Didnt realise qually had started so had 5 mins to get a half decent lap , managed to get 5th or 6th on grid.
Start-  Clutch in selected 1st gear and the car jumped forward giving me a jump start!!  Angry  Got a good start and ran close to the pit wall and could see Ken in my mirrors flying up through the pack .  Took a tight line into T1 and let the car drift out but didnt see Ken and just caught his front wheel which sent me spinning across the track....Soz Ken . For some reason the spotter didnt say a word .
Managed to get back to pits with a heavily damaged left rear corner and decided to park it as the damaged was not fixed.
Real shame as i could run high 34's on full tank and with the Dallara being so great to drive it would have been a really enjoyable race.

iRacing is the only sim ive ever played that makes your  road car feel strange after .   I used to get it when i raced karts it made the van feel like a boat on the drive home.  Just shows how good it is!!

Well done to winners and finshers.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:26:59 AM +0000 by Dan Minton » Logged
Don
Blue and Orange Leader
Former Moderators

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2009, 11:54:07 AM +0000 »

Start-  Clutch in selected 1st gear and the car jumped forward giving me a jump start!!  Angry  

Exactly the same thing happened to me! wonder if it's a bug with the Dallara and Watkins?
Dave 'Gizmo' Gymer
Director General
SimRacing.org.uk Staff

Currum auriga quasi furtivum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2009, 12:32:26 PM +0000 »

Start-  Clutch in selected 1st gear and the car jumped forward giving me a jump start!!  Angry  
Exactly the same thing happened to me! wonder if it's a bug with the Dallara and Watkins?

One of the other cars does the same - DP I think. I always press the brake when selecting 1st gear just in case...

To finish first, first you must have fins.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: